2011-2012 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am applying MSTP only. On the "Dual Degree Interest" page of the secondary, should I just check the last box, stating that I have no interest in the dual degree programs? As far as I can tell, these programs are only meant for MD students. How are other MSTP applicants dealing with this?

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone who received the secondary invite a re-applicant?

Cheers,
Sam

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary invite!!! I didn't really expect to get one...I'm pumped!

I am applying MSTP only. On the "Dual Degree Interest" page of the secondary, should I just check the last box, stating that I have no interest in the dual degree programs? As far as I can tell, these programs are only meant for MD students. How are other MSTP applicants dealing with this?
I'm also an MSTP applicant. I clicked the first one, it made it sound like if you didn't get MSTP you could do something more free form, I wouldn't mind that.

How did you guys deal with activities that you're still involved in? For instance I'll be working next year in my same research group, should I just put graduation as my ending date? I'm planning on working with them as long as possible but it needs a date.

I'm also an MSTP applicant. I clicked the first one, it made it sound like if you didn't get MSTP you could do something more free form, I wouldn't mind that.

How did you guys deal with activities that you're still involved in? For instance I'll be working next year in my same research group, should I just put graduation as my ending date? I'm planning on working with them as long as possible but it needs a date.

I was unsure of that too, it wont let you put Present, I would just say when you plan to end it if you got into medical school? ionno

Thats my plan of attack.

Would anyone mind posting the secondary questions?

Anyone have opinions on the 6000 character autobiographical essay? :oops: Yikes!

I got my secondary too. I'm an OOS applicant, and around their average. SHOW ME SOME LOVE UCSD!!! :xf::laugh:

Would anyone mind posting the secondary questions?
I don't have it on me, but it's the same autobiographical sketch they've had for many years. Character limit is 6000 this year.

Prompt should be posted in the 2010-2011 thread!

this secondary is gonna take some time.... hopefully i will have this finished and have the adcoms impressed by the end of next week!

Members don't see this ad :)
same. Im armed with tonight and 3 days of freedom. Google music and a crapload of coffee. Lets go!

Haha, finally a place to mention my high ranks in warcraft 3 and WoW arena. :thumbup:

(highschool achievements, no place for it on AMCAS)

This is more daunting than I expected... How are yall addressing the meaningful experience section?

This is more daunting than I expected... How are yall addressing the meaningful experience section?

What are you talking about? Isn't there just a 50-char limit on those boxes? I just put stuff like "Undergraduate Researcher - Chemistry Department" and it took up almost all of the characters. And the rest of that is just hours/dates/rec letter.

Anyone else feel like they covered the "why medicine" in their PS?? I realized that in undergrad so I feel like my undergrad was covered there...

How much personality are we supposed to inject in these secondaries...

I don't think UCSD's secondary is about "why medicine". It's an autobiography... and that's definitely different than what I did in my personal statement. :smuggrin:

I don't think UCSD's secondary is about "why medicine". It's an autobiography... and that's definitely different than what I did in my personal statement. :smuggrin:

Yes I understand that...but at the end of the prompt they say "discuss motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine..." so are you just going to ignore that?

Yes I understand that...but at the end of the prompt they say "discuss motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine..." so are you just going to ignore that?

Good question :) Currently that tab of my application is blank.... :confused: What to write? Hehehe

I included some parts of that were it was relevant. When I reached a point in my life where something that pushed me towards medicine occurred, i mentioned it.

"Finished" it. It was easier once i started. Need to go back, revise, proofread, and reread outloud. Hopefully I'll have this sucker done by tuesday

I got my secondary too. I'm an OOS applicant, and around their average. SHOW ME SOME LOVE UCSD!!! :xf::laugh:

Great job 1stAce!! that keeps me optimistic, i'm in the same boat... no secondary yet though

What kind of pictures are you guys including? I know it says passport-style, but should it be professionally done or is it acceptable to just have a friend with a digital camera do it?

What kind of pictures are you guys including? I know it says passport-style, but should it be professionally done or is it acceptable to just have a friend with a digital camera do it?

That's what mine looks like

i know this is supposed to be a "true autobiographical statement" as per the prompt...but my essay is literally like a whole new personal statement....
is this okay?

Just go to a Walgreen/CVS/Wal-mart and get them done there. It's cheap and professional.

sumitted! can take up to ten days to process

Man my weekend sucked

1) if a meaningful activity is ongoing, what do we put for end date?
2) also, for such an activity, do we put total # hours completed thus far, or # we expect to have done by end date?

1) if a meaningful activity is ongoing, what do we put for end date?
2) also, for such an activity, do we put total # hours completed thus far, or # we expect to have done by end date?

dunno. Mine ended this past semester. I would assume put the future date.

as for hours

put what you have?

anybody else have a problem accessing the secondary, there seems to be an error for me.

What does it say when you log in. does it say error #1 something wrong with your record?

that's what i'm getting:confused:

What does it say when you log in. does it say error #1 something wrong with your record?

that's what i'm getting:confused:

Well now, if you try to go to the main page there is a notice up.

wow, writing this essay is bringing back memories and the complexity of my history is very hard to describe.....

Just go to a Walgreen/CVS/Wal-mart and get them done there. It's cheap and professional.

I wouldn't worry too much about the photo. I had my sister snap a photo of me in the backyard--it seemed to do the trick :)

As for the autobiography, I included more detail about my early life, family situation, etc. than I did in my personal statement. It was much more the story of my life (with emphasis on how it brought me to where I was then) than "why medicine" like my PS. Good luck!

I wouldn't worry too much about the photo. I had my sister snap a photo of me in the backyard--it seemed to do the trick :)

As for the autobiography, I included more detail about my early life, family situation, etc. than I did in my personal statement. It was much more the story of my life (with emphasis on how it brought me to where I was then) than "why medicine" like my PS. Good luck!

Basically what I did. I was fortunate enough to have various defining medical moments at certain parts in my life so it made it was easy to incorporate into the autobiography

my decision to become a physician occurred during college... so i have to fit it in my last part of my sketch...

Ughhh, why is the website always down in my specially allotted med school apps time (post midnight)

is anyone else having problems creating a PID??? it says my AMCAS ID cannot be verified, but i received an invitation to submit the secondary ...

Have any re-applicants received a secondary yet?
I called admissions earlier in the week and they said re-apps would be getting their secondaries soon.

I called admissions earlier in the week and they said re-apps would be getting their secondaries soon.

No I have not either, but that is great news, thanks for sharing. I assumed I would not be getting one, now I have hope :D

is the site ever gonna be back up. i finally got my autobiography done a couple days ago and the sites been down since.

thanks for the update!

is the site ever gonna be back up. i finally got my autobiography done a couple days ago and the sites been down since.

Yikes that sucks. Glad i was able to submit the day before it went kaput

i may have broken it :laugh:

Yikes that sucks. Glad i was able to submit the day before it went kaput

i may have broken it :laugh:

could your autobiography have been so good that the adcoms decided to stop all secondary traffic to focus on making arrangements for you to come and interview them?

:laugh:

Can someone who had more foresight than me post any essay prompts beyond the autobiography so I can still work on my responses while the site is down?

To those who have submitted already:

Is the essay 6000 characters with or without spaces? This is so hard to fit an entire life in so few characters!

Status
Not open for further replies.