About the ads

1 YR AEGD counting towards payback for a 2 year scholarship

Discussion in 'Military Dentistry' started by 63B2B, Sep 8, 2010.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanks to Crack the NBDE
  1. 63B2B

63B2B

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    My friend is talking to an Army recruiter about joining on as HPSP. As far as I remember, if he takes a 2 year scholarship, he will have a 3 year minimum active duty commitment- BUT his 1 year AEGD will count towards payback of the 3 year active duty minimum because he only got the scholarship for two years.

According to my understanding, a 4 year HPSP such as myself doing a 1 year AEGD will not get the 1 year AEGD to count towards payback (because the Army paid me 4 years of scholarship), but it will count towards the 3 year minimum ONLY in the case where the HPSP recipient got a 2 year scholarship.

Is this right? And if it is, can someone provide a reference? I just want to help my guy make an informed decision.

Thanks!
  2. krmower

krmower

Dentist
    Dentist Army SDN 5+ Year Member
    That is correct. However because recruiting is doing so well, 1 and 2 yr HPSP scholarships are given out very selectively and considered on a case by case basis.
  3. ghammond19

ghammond19 Pre-Mature Dental Student

Pre-Dental
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Does the year you spend at AEGD program count towards your years of retirement?
  4. vellnueve

vellnueve

Dentist Navy SDN 7+ Year Member
    Of course... it's an active duty year like every other and counts as a year towards everything except your ADSO.