Change to HPSP payback?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Big Time Hoosier

Man. Myth. Legend.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So…I heard they made some big changes to the HPSP payback for those that went active duty after October 2020. I heard that you have to do your 4 year payback as would be expected. But rather than 4 years in the IRR afterwards, you are required to do another 2 years active duty or 2 years in the active reserve, and then 2 years in the IRR.

Can anyone confirm this?

IMG_0589.jpeg

Big Hoss

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So…I heard they made some big changes to the HPSP payback for those that went active duty after October 2020. I heard that you have to do your 4 year payback as would be expected. But rather than 4 years in the IRR afterwards, you are required to do another 2 years active duty or 2 years in the active reserve, and then 2 years in the IRR.

Can anyone confirm this?

View attachment 383203

Big Hoss
DM me

This is correct. 2 years SELRES + 2 years IRR

Members don't see this ad :)
Active Army here... I'll have to double check my contract, but I'm pretty sure it's 4AD/4IRR.
Potentially could be a Navy thing?

I'll have to double check my contract
That’s the thing, they “changed” the contract retroactively. I heard it was just announced in the Navy’s Weekly Dental Update.

If you’re in the IRR, they still own you. If they want to force you AD those 4 years, they’re well within their “rights.”

IMG_0597.jpeg

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
they “changed” the contract retroactively
I see what you mean that they can do whatever they want during IRR, but legally they can't change a contract retroactively. Opening the gov to major lawsuits on that.

Verbiage of my contract:
I understand that in return for a 4 academic year scholarship, I shall serve 4 years, 0 months, 0 days on extended active duty and serve 4 years, 0 months, 0 days in the individual ready reserve (IRR), unless it is mutually agreed that the portion of the service in the IRR shall be served on active duty or in the Selected Reserve.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone wonder why I don’t trust the government or the military/industrial complex? Anyone wonder why the number of vets recommending military service to others has plummeted?

I could not have been more proud to have served alongside other young Sailors and Marines who felt a sense of duty driving their decision to serve. These are the true patriots. The Pentagon and our country’s civilian leadership can pound sand.

The short book War is a Racket by General Smedley Butler should be required reading for anyone considering joining the military.

An ode to the MIC…

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users