18 year old QB in Georgia dies following "routine" shoulder surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If the disease had been known - what decisions would have been made differently (from an anesthesia standpoint)?
Just don't let them fast for a long time and maybe run some dextrose peri-op, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I used to think this way as well, until I had an epiphany and realized that I don’t wring my hands and worry about paralysis and the reversal of it, bucking on a tube, etc for a routine procedure like a lap appy or a lap chole - why should I suddenly start worrying about these things for a shoulder scope? It took one or two questionable LMAs with hypoventilation etc in the sitting position for me to think “I’m too old for this ****” and decided to intubate everyone going forward. And to be clear, I don’t use narcotics either during the procedure (the 25-50 mcg of fentanyl I give for the block is still in effect during intubation). Not saying you can’t do it with an LMA — I just don’t want that kind of stress in my life.
100 percent agree. Had an LMA unseat during a beach chair case and have tubed everyone in beach chair ever since.

Reactions: 1 users