1st year undergrad to get LOR, too early??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CynthiaBruin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year undergrad and recently saw a volunteer opportunity in the UCLA SOD.
When the program ends, I can get a rec letter, but is it too early to volunteer and get LOR in 1st year?
Will the LOR still be "valid" when I apply for SOD two years later?

Members don't see this ad.

You can use that rec letter for a summer enrichment program or something similar… I'm sure it's still valid after 2 years but once you get to the point where you are about to apply to dental school (in 2 years) you will have changed as a person, right? You will have achieved so much more in 2 years and will make more relationships with professors, dentists and your health professions committee that can write more about you and your achievements in an LOR. THAT'S what you want the dental schools to read.

Use this volunteer opp. as a way to get experience and get your face out there to UCLA SOD faculty members to see and remember you later on!!!

or you can continue to keep in touch, maybe work again in future with them so that they write you an amazing LOR since theyve known you since first year...

Members don't see this ad :)
In two years you might change your mind about ds.

Honestly, you're kinda too late. I had all my LORs done after I learn to take my first dump.

Reactions: 1 users
Like others have said, you're definitely too late. You should have been thinking about LOR's no later than high school. Theres no way you'll be ready to apply in 2 or even 3 years.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a professor of mine who I had as my first semester biology professor. I asked her if she would consider writing me a letter of recommendation for the future and she happily agreed.

Them again, I took her for another, upper level biology course a year later. We have kept in contact throughout my undergraduate career.

By all means, it is not too early OP. Just make sure you keep a relationship with them so they can attest to your growth through the years.

If I could do it over again, I would have volunteered in my freshmen year.