2.66cGPA - 2.54sGPA - 521 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mms9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA (2.66) sucks and my MCAT (c/s 130 - CARS 131 - b/b 130 - p/s 130 - Total 521) score is great...what can I do???
I have tons of volunteer experience (Clinical + Non-clinical), 300+ hours shadowing (MD + DO), a few publications (Trauma, Immunotherapy, Public Health), and have done NK Cell Immunotherapy research for the past 18 months. Currently working as the Biology Lab Coordinator for a university and as a research for UCSF Peds Residency program. Recently, I developed 2 programs (functioning in rural High Schools) to push for underrepresented ethnic groups to enter STEM fields.

I mean really what can I do other than retake classes and continue with this EC/work?

Members don't see this ad.

Apply broadly to DO schools. Have a good explanation why your GPA is so bad. Chance are some DO schools may accept you if you show that most recent grades were As and there was an upward trend and it's your junior (or whatever) year grades that are pulling your GPA down. We all had some crazy stuff going on when we were young and stupid and/or it was some life circumstances that affected grades. I'm sure this is closer to truth, otherwise you wouldn't get 521 on mcat.
Second scenario: if there is no upward trend and it's just your grades how they have been ever and your score on mcat is only the result of a 2 year prep process - then it's going to be very hard even getting an II. However, seriously, why not stop all this BS with your publications and ECs that no one at admissions gives rat's ass (besides you already have enough of it) and just take some courses instead to raise it to at least 2.9-ish GPA? I mean dude, let's be honest who cares about your ECs and volunteering at the hospice for 3-legged dogs abused in west Nigeria if your GPA sucks?

Members don't see this ad :)
In the absence of some compelling reason or a massive trend change, your high MCAT and low GPA actually screams that you are either lazy, lucky, or unstable; none of which are good qualities for medicine. You would be better off with a slightly above average MCAT and an upward trend in GPA. Now it just looks like you're smart enough to handle the material but you couldn't be bothered to comply with the system in undergrad to do what needed to be done to garner some decent grades.

I am thankful for most of the comments left on this thread. They have provided me with a means of an alternative as well as different routes to possibly follow. To be frank with all of you...I have never opened a textbook or studied a single day during undergrad.
When beginning this "journey" I did not have the intention of becoming a physician or even going the medical route. I was simply in it just to get a college degree. As such, my grades during my first 2 years of college SUCKED! I was placed on academic probation after my freshman year. My last 2 years of college do show an upward grade trend. First two years of college GPA ave = 2.0...second 2 years of college GPA = 3.0 (3.5 GPA senior year). So yes there is an upwards grade trend. I was able to get into my ECs through word of mouth and knowing the right people (kind of how my life has always been...not intentionally of course). All undergraduate level courses were taken at a 4yr institution.

Despite my pitiful GPA, I always knew I was intelligent. My research PI caught onto this early on during my time with him. He urged me to take the MCAT and said that he'd pay for it. So I figured I had nothing to lose. I set aside 3 months to do nothing but research and study for the MCAT. I was very intentional about this. My first practice exam (no studying) was a 506...put in 3 more weeks of studying...510....3 more weeks of studying 512...essentially every 3 weeks I took a practice exam and my score would just a couple points. No practice test score was as high as my actual test score (highest was 519). I did research from 8am - 3pm (roughly) and would study the rest of the day or during downtime between experiments. On average I put in 5 hours/day 6 days/week for 3 months. I followed my study schedule religiously.

I understand that my GPA and MCAT score do not match up and there is no correlation at all w/ respect to publish data. I am in this situation and literally have no idea what to do other than to take/retake undergrad courses to raise my GPA so that I can POSSIBLY have the chances of even applying to a post-bacc or SMP.

I am thankful for most of the comments left on this thread. They have provided me with a means of an alternative as well as different routes to possibly follow. To be frank with all of you...I have never opened a textbook or studied a single day during undergrad.
When beginning this "journey" I did not have the intention of becoming a physician or even going the medical route. I was simply in it just to get a college degree. As such, my grades during my first 2 years of college SUCKED! I was placed on academic probation after my freshman year. My last 2 years of college do show an upward grade trend. First two years of college GPA ave = 2.0...second 2 years of college GPA = 3.0 (3.5 GPA senior year). So yes there is an upwards grade trend. I was able to get into my ECs through word of mouth and knowing the right people (kind of how my life has always been...not intentionally of course). All undergraduate level courses were taken at a 4yr institution.

Despite my pitiful GPA, I always knew I was intelligent. My research PI caught onto this early on during my time with him. He urged me to take the MCAT and said that he'd pay for it. So I figured I had nothing to lose. I set aside 3 months to do nothing but research and study for the MCAT. I was very intentional about this. My first practice exam (no studying) was a 506...put in 3 more weeks of studying...510....3 more weeks of studying 512...essentially every 3 weeks I took a practice exam and my score would just a couple points. No practice test score was as high as my actual test score (highest was 519). I did research from 8am - 3pm (roughly) and would study the rest of the day or during downtime between experiments. On average I put in 5 hours/day 6 days/week for 3 months. I followed my study schedule religiously.

I understand that my GPA and MCAT score do not match up and there is no correlation at all w/ respect to publish data. I am in this situation and literally have no idea what to do other than to take/retake undergrad courses to raise my GPA so that I can POSSIBLY have the chances of even applying to a post-bacc or SMP.

I'm glad you're realizing that intelligence != hard work. I'm "smart" too but I was a lazy ass and my GPA sucked for it. Being smart in medicine helps, but it's the people that work hard that will get in and excel. Honestly those are the people that deserve it too.

Reactions: 1 user

With 3.5 GPA in senior year and upward trend for last 2 years - and your mcat - you have nothing to really worry about, EXCEPT GPA cutoffs - which are done sometimes automatically and tha twill prevent you from going further in application process (you'll get lot's of rejections initially). Other than that, IF you manage to filter through this bureaucracy system - I'm sure you will have at least 1 or 2 acceptances at DO schools. They love such stories of dedication and upward trends showing that finally person got on righteous path. I see no problems for you to play that card on IIs. You only problem now is to figure out how to osmose through cutoffs, because after that your application stands out to be honest from the rest - and it's always a good thing for a admissions as they are humans (unlike automatic cutoff system at the beginning of your application process). Get the list of schools that have low cutoff. The only other way is to take extra courses to up your GPA to at least 2.9 - then you are golden.

So...what most of you are saying is that if I were to do some sort of SMP program AND excel in it (GPA 3.5+)...I would have a shot at being admitted to medical school. I would say that my application would be unique and have some factors that could serve as "eyebrow raising".

With that MCAT score D.O. will be within reach if you have a compelling and well put together application. If you are gunning for an M.D. program then you will have to do a Post-Bacc or SMP to improve your GPA. Even with such an exceptional MCAT score your GPA is still too low.

Status
Not open for further replies.