2.92 cGPA, 3.43 sGPA, 43R MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rabbit36

Lagomorphadelic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My numbers are very bizarre. I graduated with a 2.92 overall, because my first three years I failed a total of 7 classes from not going or turning in papers as a social science major. very stupid and immature back then. Dropped out and came back a few years later as a biology major, was above 3.7 last 5 semesters taking heavy science loads, getting A's in genetics, biochem, cell bio, calc 1, physics 2, ochem 1 and 2, nutrition, physiology, anatomy, etc. as well as several humanities courses. Got 3.9 and 4.0 my last 2 semesters with very intense science course loads (taking physics 2, cell bio, biochem, and scientific writing my 4.0 semester).

Net result was 2.92 overall, 3.43 science (failed gen chem and physics first time way back). Just got my scores back and got a 43R (BS-15, VR-14, PS-14). Have worked in an ecology and an endocrinology lab, numerous EC's including hospital volunteering in an ICU and an infusion center, running two student organizations, and regularly bringing relief to families on the Navajo reservation. Can anyone honestly tell me how they think my early F's look against my later A's, MCAT and the rest? I feel I've very strongly addressed my past grades in my essays. I know more than one F is usually pretty unforgivable, but this doesn't really seem like a typical situation. I'm applying to Yale, Columbia, Pritzker, as well as Howard, Rosalind Franklin, UCONN, Temple and others. My numbers are just so strange I don't really know how to feel...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Nice MCAT! Your high score makes it likely that schools will look closely enough at your entire application, though your undergrad GPA is below automatic cut-offs, that they'll notice your fantastic upward grade trend. Lots of folks in this forum have gotten Fs on their transcripts and managed to resuscitate their stats, occasionally with many years of effort, and gotten acceptances. I think you'll also be eligible for some scholarship money (maybe even a bidding war). I predict you'll do fine and have multiple acceptances.

wow, great MCAT!

I'm sure that some schools will be able to get past a few F's, med schools have a lot of standardized tests, they like to see someone kick butt. Oh, btw, is it true that once you score in a certain percentile, someone actually calls you and tells you your score? thats what i've heard but it might not be true

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't apply to schools with automatic GPA cutoffs. Otherwise, you should do well.

I agree that your MCAT will probably keep an adcom from tossing your app in the trash when they see the 2.92. They'll probably be very interested in the rest of your app, so make sure it's strong. Address your low GPA, what caused you to turn it around, how you can show you won't deviate back to your old ways, etc. The PS is always important, but will be especially important for you. I know that if I were an adcom and saw just your scores, I'd sure go looking for an explanation.

Thanks a lot, and no, they don't call, you still have to wait a month biting your nails. I've spent pretty much the last 2 years making sure my application is really excellently rounded out. I think I've got some outstanding letters, especially from my advisor who watched this turnaround and is my biggest fan as well as several science professors I've had final averages of 100+ in and worked in labs for. I took an MCAT course (although really only having so many practice tests available helped) and then studied for a month straight 4-8 hours a day since I knew I needed better than 40 to make them look twice. Highest practice score was a 42 though, and I was averaging 38, so this was a very nice surprise after coming out of the test thinking I'd gotten 35-38. Not sure if scaling was different from AAMC practice tests or what, but I'm not complaining. If you study a lot (especially take full-length practice tests day in day out for the last few weeks so it's second nature) it really is possible to get such a high score.

I also wanted some advice on clinical experience. I have decent volunteering experience (~160 hours total) from an ICU where I witnessed some serious procedures and drama like several patients crashing and the whole team rushing in, and the infusion center where I currently volunteer 8 hours a week and have become a pretty big part of. I plan to shadow 2 or 3 doctors in the coming months, so hopefully I can at least talk about it in the interviews, and my plan for the next year is to travel and help in some rural clinics and get a clinical job like medical assisting. This is really my main weakness in what I think is an otherwise strong application (besides the GPA of course). Any thoughts on what else I should do on that front?

I think your game plan is fine. I look forward to following your progress.

Um, wow. Your MCAT is the stuff of legends. you are probably the only person on earth with that score...really, maybe. :thumbup:

I had a post in the "Debate- High GPA/Avg MCAT at top schools?" forum that gave my take on situations such as yours...I'll post it here.

Ultimately, this is an unanswerable topic. There are just as many exceptions as rules. Let me give my take, and bear in mind that I am no authority on this matter.

If I were on an AdCom, the first group of kids I would look at would be the kids with (of course) stellar grades and MCAT scores. These kids not only prove they have long-term work ethic, but can perform in test situations. This includes those who have 4.0's and 30's (still in the top 30% right?). Hooray for them :thumbup:

The next group of people I would look to would be those with mediocre GPAs and good MCATs. Why? Well mostly, because I am one of them. Therefore, let this be read with this knowledge. But to argue my point, this combination proves two things:

1) That this individual, despite the average numbers assigned to them by teachers, has been able to learn, retain, and apply the vital medical sciences required to understand/practice medicine. It shows that other factors might have led to the lower grades, including a relaxed personality or a personal crisis, neither of which are necessarily bad things.

2) Not only do these students prove they are capable of mastering material, but they were able to recall and apply all of it while under pressure. Just because someone can memorize something for a class, or get extra credit from nice teachers, does not mean they can retain what they have learned and apply it successfully in a stressful setting. The MCAT is a good indication of this ability.

However, a low GPA is hard to overcome. It can indicate either very difficult schooling or complete laziness, or both. One must have a renewed sense of purpose and dedication to try to make it through med school. It definitely doesn't get any easier...

The third group is the High GPA/low MCAT crowd. Say a 3.75+ and a 25. This trend is dangerous, because it exposes some weaknesses:

1) It brings into question the means by which one achieves their good GPA, whether it was teacher pandering or grade inflation or easier schooling.

2) It also questions how well that person ever learned that material. If the classes they took never covered some of the content on the MCAT, their GPA cannot be compared to others who mastered more material. Moreover, if one only learns the material in order to master a classroom test, and then forgets it all, then that person is not studying what they love.

3) Furthermore, despite a grand GPA, this student did not perform well under pressure. Working under pressure is the name of the medicine game, and this is fatal.

With all this said, and an hour wasted, I hope this helps somewhat. This is by no means a definitive answer, just my opinion. :D

holy cow, way to kick that mcat's a**!

i think your mcat has such a "wow seriously?!?!" factor that it will compensate, at least partially, for the gpa, especially since you have a strong strong upward trend. good luck!

I got past the screen at a lot of places with automatic gpa cutoffs, and my numbers are nowhere near this.

Apply broadly. Very broadly. Throw in a few DO schools. They like the non-traditional salvages.

Look also at Drexel, Tulane, Eastern Virginia, and Jefferson Medical College. All are big non-trad schools.

Posted via Mobile Device

you are probably the only person on earth with that score...really, maybe. :thumbup:

Q of Quimica also got a 43 on her MCAT. She's a frequent poster here. Also, a friend of mine got a 43 three years ago (one of two who got this score in August when the test was given twice a year), and he got many hefty merit scholarship offers.

Reactions: 1 user
wow...just wow

One thing is I don't think you'll get past the primaries for the top schools simply based on your gpa. You have to understand there were people who worked hard when you weren't and that simply will hurt, but IMO you should be able to get into a middle tier med school, but yale and those others are pratically asking for perfection

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree with almost everyone on here. I think you'll get a secondary from almost everyone. Probably interviews at places you don't expect, and rejections from places you don't expect. I don't think GPA cutoffs will be used to screen you out at most places.

Your strong upward trend and MCAT will get your foot in the door. You will have some explaining to do though, so have a good story ready.

The key for you is going to be to apply to a **** ton of schools.

Posted via Mobile Device

Remember that this is SDN, a forum full of students. We are all impressed with crazy high scores like yours since we have all been going through the same process.

Do you think members of the adcom, who have taken their MCAT 20,30,40 years ago will be impressed enough to give you points for your GPA? Maybe. A 43 is frickin amazing to us students, but would adcoms really give a significant amount of preference to you over someone with a 39? They might.. they might not. A lot of people keep saying "Wow" because your score is a novelty, but they aren't adding anything else.

Adcoms expect commitment, and I'm sure that once you do get your interviews, you can totally prove yours to them. You have to get your interviews first though.

I'm no expert at this, but I'm trying to put myself in the adcom's shoes and it's not working. We premeds don't really know how they think. I hope you add many more safeties to your list because you don't really know how much your MCAT will compensate for your GPA.

Last edited:
*salutes*

Wow bro...if i opened my score and it was a 43...theres a distinct probability I would cry out of joy.

As per your situation...Unfortunately...as amazing as that score is, I believe the Ivy Leagues will not take you from the GPA alone. This is because they can literally pick from the X Thousand of applicants who have the BEST scores in the country(and even some from out of the country). Most of them are solid, well-rounded with both stellar GPA's AND MCAT scores.

The fact that your a minority is a plus but I think your going to med school come Fall 09...in the US...at an MD school. The question is where.

All I can say...is wherever they interview you...your GPA WILL come up to be discusses. Concoct a way to say that you did bad in school but make it good(Ex. "I didnt understand the responsibility of college and the work it takes to go to Med School and I grew from the experience")

Is there any way you can get your cGPA to 3.0? Maybe a semester? Then you'd definitely be golden. It's just about getting past those screens.

43 is a great score, but in all reality, it means the test taker got 2-3 more questions right on each section than someone with a 39. The curve at the top end is so steep, so in my book 38 and above is all the same. like someone said, 43 is impressive, but more so to us students.

someone was right on when they said you will get interview and rejections, but probably from places you don't expect... good luck, those before you with a similar situation and the drive to become a physician got into school, and you can too. just keep working hard, and dont expect anything to be handed to you.

43 is a great score, but in all reality, it means the test taker got 2-3 more questions right on each section than someone with a 39. The curve at the top end is so steep, so in my book 38 and above is all the same. like someone said, 43 is impressive, but more so to us students.

someone was right on when they said you will get interview and rejections, but probably from places you don't expect... good luck, those before you with a similar situation and the drive to become a physician got into school, and you can too. just keep working hard, and dont expect anything to be handed to you.

Not even 2-3 on each section! Possibly 2-4 on the entire test. The verbal is almost always a question-for-point scale at the top. The other two can be the same way. One time on a practice test where I had access to the scale I was 3 questions away from jumping to a 37 from a 34. Ridiculous.

And that's an UNGODLY score no matter what.

uh, CRAZY MCAT.

flip those numbers around and it's still better than my MCAT score... :p

rabbit,

is there any way you can post a thread describing your MCAT prep? How long you studied each day, for how long. What books you used. How many practice tests. How you reviewed each section.

DAMN!!!!! 43!!!!!!!!!!!

Your story is ....is....bizarre!! I mean I can believe it but...in all honesty its pretty unbelievable...

You should really write a book or something on how you've managed to do that....Inm all seriousness I think somebody is right in saying that your score of 43 is probably the only one...Unless you already know that your IQ is above 160 then please do tell us how you used to study!:)

Ok...I'm posting again ...I didnt read all of the stuff up here before I did the first time...

Anyway...i think you have a chance of getting in almost anywhere if you decide to be strategic in your timing...If your primary goes in at the same time as your MCAT scores then that means that all of the schools will give them a glance....and THAT IS ALL YOU NEED!!! One look at a 43 and they'll be idiots for not sending you a secondary...

Even though its true that we premeds don't exactly know the psyche of the adcoms, I think they are not expecting aliens with superhuman intelligence and capabilities...They would love to hear your story...I was at NIH 2 years ago as a summer intern and a guy from the University of Maryland's adcom came over for a two day lecture on how to go about the admissions process... i remember him asking us very clearly ..."Do you have a story to tell that can keep me engaged...?"

It was funny cause nobody got up to humor him...but that was his point...that while GPA's and stuff are important...no single factor decides whats gonna happen in terms of admission...I think this is an important thing to remember for every Pre-med...While your profile is in its entirity good...it has elements of the "wow" category and the "ouch" genre at the same time...It simply means that theres a story in there...and they will love to hear it...

if someone has a plain and simple profile that is good then theres no need to fear either...You'l get there if you say the right things during the interview...I know a girl whose at Harvard with an MCAT of 30 and a 3.7 GPA....She had however spent time at a camp in India where they used to treat people with a myriad of contagious diseases....So it worked for her cause the interview (and most probably the essay's) carried her on top...

Anyway...Good Luck...an do keep us posted on what happens...:)

Not even 2-3 on each section! Possibly 2-4 on the entire test. The verbal is almost always a question-for-point scale at the top. The other two can be the same way. One time on a practice test where I had access to the scale I was 3 questions away from jumping to a 37 from a 34. Ridiculous.

And that's an UNGODLY score no matter what.

wow really? the curve is that steep, even at 34? it must be like.. 1 question between 39 and 43 then lol.

So to keep everyone updated, so far I've had interviews with Mount Sinai and Columbia, have others scheduled with UCONN and NYU, and got a secondary request from UCSF a while back. Still waiting on about 9 more for interviews. I should hear from Mount Sinai before November 10 or so. The interviews have been surprisingly good so far, obviously probing the grade situation, but they've seemed very satisfied with my answers. At least know it's been possible to get this far (and even a columbia interview this early)

Hey, congrats on all the interviews so far. Thanks for keeping in touch.

umm ur ur mcat alone says it you are a genius...jesus i didn't even know 43's were possible u musta missed like two problems

I would make sure to address what drove you to do better in your personal statement.

Personally, if I were an adcom, the upward trend would be enough for me to at least grant you an interview to hear your story.

that's a pretty sick score. I met someone else who got a 43 also! ridiculous. I thought you might've been him, but I think he has a 4.0. Regardless, you should be ok =P

*edit* read the update. you are doing amazingly well. In the words of Senator Obama: My biggest weakness: It is possible that I am too awesome.

You're story offers some hope to people like me. I thought I'd post my situation here as well and get your take on it. I'm curious also to know which schools, specifically, did you apply to...

Let me throw myself, my story and my scores out there to get ripped apart.

I completed my undergrad coursework last year with a poor GPA of 2.8 (AMCAS, my actual institutional GPA was 3.5, yes I know only AMCAS matters). I am currently in an M.S. program with a GPA of 4.0 (I will finish late 2009). I took the MCAT and achieved an overall composite of 41 (b15 p13 v13).

I have a decent amount of medical/research experience as follows...

I have worked for the past few years as a Paramedic/Firefighter in a busy metropolitan department, prior to that I was employed as an EMT in an Emergency Department. During my time in the ED I also assumed part-time roles in other departments (Cardiology, OR, PACU). I have 4 years of cumulative genetic research experience which netted me 1 publication, more abstracts then I can count and a couple of presentations at relatively prestigious conferences. I have been an Instructor for EMT, ACLS, BLS and PHTLS courses for the past couple of years as well. I also had the opportunity to serve voluntarily as a missionary for two years for my church in Thailand where I also became fluent in the Thai language. I have a bunch of other random volunteer/shadowing experiences that aren't worth going into detail in this forum.

I believe I have relevant factors that affected my performance as an undergrad (immediate family member suicide, failed marriage due to her infidelity) but I don't really want to use those as excuses for failure. My overall application is burdened by my poor performance (GPA) as an undergrad and I am worried that they will completely inhibit me from gaining admission. I am slightly older than the typical applicant (27) and worry that might hurt me as well.

I guess what I'm looking for is an outside opinion of what you perceive my chances to be as well as what else can I do to better my application. Yes, I would prefer a US allopathic school but I am not so closed minded as to not consider other options. Any advice/direction anyone could offer would be appreciated.

congratulations on the mcat. i really dont think you have anything to worry about. your ecs and mcat demonstrate that you are more than qualified for medical school

a 43....it blows my mind...

My numbers are very bizarre. I graduated with a 2.92 overall, because my first three years I failed a total of 7 classes from not going or turning in papers as a social science major. very stupid and immature back then. Dropped out and came back a few years later as a biology major, was above 3.7 last 5 semesters taking heavy science loads, getting A's in genetics, biochem, cell bio, calc 1, physics 2, ochem 1 and 2, nutrition, physiology, anatomy, etc. as well as several humanities courses. Got 3.9 and 4.0 my last 2 semesters with very intense science course loads (taking physics 2, cell bio, biochem, and scientific writing my 4.0 semester).

Net result was 2.92 overall, 3.43 science (failed gen chem and physics first time way back). Just got my scores back and got a 43R (BS-15, VR-14, PS-14). Have worked in an ecology and an endocrinology lab, numerous EC's including hospital volunteering in an ICU and an infusion center, running two student organizations, and regularly bringing relief to families on the Navajo reservation. Can anyone honestly tell me how they think my early F's look against my later A's, MCAT and the rest? I feel I've very strongly addressed my past grades in my essays. I know more than one F is usually pretty unforgivable, but this doesn't really seem like a typical situation. I'm applying to Yale, Columbia, Pritzker, as well as Howard, Rosalind Franklin, UCONN, Temple and others. My numbers are just so strange I don't really know how to feel...

Well you are obviously brilliant with that kind of MCAT. Looks like once you got motivated you started getting all A's and excelled in everything- which is key. They focus on progress, and your turnaround is amazing. I think you'll have no trouble getting in once you explain the circumstances at the interview : )

You're story offers some hope to people like me. I thought I'd post my situation here as well and get your take on it. I'm curious also to know which schools, specifically, did you apply to...

I completed my undergrad coursework last year with a poor GPA of 2.8 (AMCAS, my actual institutional GPA was 3.5, yes I know only AMCAS matters). I am currently in an M.S. program with a GPA of 4.0 (I will finish late 2009). I took the MCAT and achieved an overall composite of 41 (b15 p13 v13).

I have worked for the past few years as a Paramedic/Firefighter in a busy metropolitan department, prior to that I was employed as an EMT in an Emergency Department. During my time in the ED I also assumed part-time roles in other departments (Cardiology, OR, PACU). I have 4 years of cumulative genetic research experience which netted me 1 publication, more abstracts then I can count and a couple of presentations at relatively prestigious conferences. I have been an Instructor for EMT, ACLS, BLS and PHTLS courses for the past couple of years as well. I also had the opportunity to serve voluntarily as a missionary for two years for my church in Thailand where I also became fluent in the Thai language. I have a bunch of other random volunteer/shadowing experiences that aren't worth going into detail in this forum.

I believe I have relevant factors that affected my performance as an undergrad (immediate family member suicide, failed marriage due to her infidelity) but I don't really want to use those as excuses for failure. My overall application is burdened by my poor performance (GPA) as an undergrad and I am worried that they will completely inhibit me from gaining admission. I am slightly older than the typical applicant (27) and worry that might hurt me as well.

I guess what I'm looking for is an outside opinion of what you perceive my chances to be as well as what else can I do to better my application. Yes, I would prefer a US allopathic school but I am not so closed minded as to not consider other options. Any advice/direction anyone could offer would be appreciated.

i'm no official but i think you might want to consider doing an informal post-bac so you can take a few classes to try to raise that gpa to at least a 3.00! you can also ask questions in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=125347

You sound like a pretty good candidate to me, especially at some schools that generally like non-trads with more interesting life experience like UCSF. I think a huge thing is getting the right letters. Besides the obvious boost of my MCAT, I think what may have put me over the top was my letters (I got 5 and was assured by one med school interviewer that all of them were incredible). Having the endorsement of academics helps to show you have the clear potential and passion needed to succeed in med school/research. I'm sure that's more difficult since you've been out of school for a while, but it's definitely doable.

I think you're attitude is great. You are not using your past circumstances as an excuse, even though they are very legitimate and could have affected anyone. The key is to look forward and show, not tell how things have changed for you. I think your passion and qualifications definitely come through, so just try to get several good letters from people who know you well. I think you easily stand out, just try to address every aspect of the application. Go for it for sure!

rabbit,

is there any way you can post a thread describing your MCAT prep? How long you studied each day, for how long. What books you used. How many practice tests. How you reviewed each section.

Yes please!

A few schools publish their cutoffs, but you'll have to contact most of them directly to find out. Even then, they might not tell you.

moly ...

couldn't help myself :D

Reactions: 1 user
you need to share your mcat study skills with us ;)

Thanks everybody for all your encouragement! I'll let you all know when anything interesting happens. At the very least right now I can say that I got on the waitlist at Mt. Sinai :D, which is more than I ever should have expected! I just really don't want to have to do this again. Good luck to everyone else applying this cycle :luck:

Thanks everybody for all your encouragement! I'll let you all know when anything interesting happens. At the very least right now I can say that I got on the waitlist at Mt. Sinai :D, which is more than I ever should have expected! I just really don't want to have to do this again. Good luck to everyone else applying this cycle :luck:

This is awesome. My orgo professor's daughter went there and loved it. I'm definitely rooting for you as I'm sure others are.

After two years in a well regarded post-bac, I have a cum sGPA of 3.23, with my second year average 3.43 in upper level courses, including an organic chemistry drug synthesis course. My college cGPA is 3.3 from a top 10 school. I have unusual and meaningful ECs and very strong LORs.

I'm currently in my third year of the post-bac, taking pathophysio this semester and studying for the Jan 31 MCAT. My plan has been to take 2-4 classes next semester to bring my GPA to the 3.4 range.

If I don't think I can obtain a 35+ MCAT by Jan 31, what should I do? In crude terms, would a 37/3.3 be preferable to a 32/3.45? Also, how closely will medical schools consider the way I'm spending my time this year, given my full loads the past two years and upward trend?

Thanks for your advice!

After two years in a well regarded post-bac, I have a cum sGPA of 3.23, with my second year average 3.43 in upper level courses, including an organic chemistry drug synthesis course. My college cGPA is 3.3 from a top 10 school. I have unusual and meaningful ECs and very strong LORs.

I'm currently in my third year of the post-bac, taking pathophysio this semester and studying for the Jan 31 MCAT. My plan has been to take 2-4 classes next semester to bring my GPA to the 3.4 range.

If I don't think I can obtain a 35+ MCAT by Jan 31, what should I do? In crude terms, would a 37/3.3 be preferable to a 32/3.45? Also, how closely will medical schools consider the way I'm spending my time this year, given my full loads the past two years and upward trend?

Thanks for your advice!

If you don't think you'll do as well as possible on Jan 31, then consider pushing it back if you think you could improve it. Of course, I'd say the gpa is probably more important, because if you can get it somewhere around 3.5 you're looking much better. Given the choice, I'd say 32/3.45 is preferable, but a 35+/3.45 shouldn't necessarily be out of the question if you can organize your studying wisely.

Technically QofQuimica's writing score trumped this 43R with a 43S ;););):p:p

Also, the same year that Q took the test, there was a poster on SDN named Lauralei. she is now an M3 or M4 at Washington University in St. Louis. She got a 43R or 43S as well.

I think you mean lorelei :p I think she works as Kaplan instructor? I noticed some of her posts in the Verbal reasoning thread.. the name of which I forget

But anyway, your stats give incredible hope to a lot of us. Please update us on your situation! Also, for people with similar stats such as yours (although not as great as an MCAT), what do you think is the MOST important thing to do, given the person has stellar ECs and great recommendations? Do you suggest writing an amazing personal essay and secondaries? But how does one actually write amazing personal essays and secondaries? Brevity? Style? Answering the questions in a short and sweet fashion?