2 good and 1 bad interview - how to rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IonClaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone-

I interviewed a week ago with a program with 3 faculty. The PD and assistant PD were great and said they were impressed with my CV, etc., however the third faculty seemed to focus on negative aspects of my MSPE (which didn't have any red flags). I did have a gap year which I explained (not for personal or psychological reasons). As far as I can tell, this third faculty doesn't have a huge presence in the main teaching hospital.

How much weight should I put on the PD/assistant PD vs the third faculty?

Members don't see this ad.

None of this matters. Do you understand how the match works? You rank the programs in the order you want to go to them. Let's say - worst case scenario -- this program doesn't rank you at all, and you rank them #1. Nothing bad happens to you, at all. The match will work to place you in your #2 spot just as hard as it would have if you had ranked it #1.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone-

I interviewed a week ago with a program with 3 faculty. The PD and assistant PD were great and said they were impressed with my CV, etc., however the third faculty seemed to focus on negative aspects of my MSPE (which didn't have any red flags). I did have a gap year which I explained (not for personal or psychological reasons). As far as I can tell, this third faculty doesn't have a huge presence in the main teaching hospital.

How much weight should I put on the PD/assistant PD vs the third faculty?

..... What's your question? Are you trying to decide how much you want to go to this program?

None of this matters. Do you understand how the match works? You rank the programs in the order you want to go to them. Let's say - worst case scenario -- this program doesn't rank you at all, and you rank them #1. Nothing bad happens to you, at all. The match will work to place you in your #2 spot just as hard as it would have if you had ranked it #1.

Thanks! I guess I find it hard to break out of the medical school interview mold.

Now that you mention it, I guess that is my question!

Not sure anyone can really help with that. One isolated part of an interview day doesn't mean a ton by itself, but if you don't feel good about the program now chances are you won't feel good about it if you match there.

Now that you mention it, I guess that is my question!
Are there only 3 faculty in the program? Or did you just interview with 3?

If the former (unlikely), then 1/3 of the faculty already doesn't like you, so you probably won't be happy there.

If the latter (most likely), you just got assigned a random asshat on interview day, and if you liked the program otherwise, rank it how you liked it.

Reactions: 1 user
Are there only 3 faculty in the program? Or did you just interview with 3?

If the former (unlikely), then 1/3 of the faculty already doesn't like you, so you probably won't be happy there.

If the latter (most likely), you just got assigned a random asshat on interview day, and if you liked the program otherwise, rank it how you liked it.