$2000 Dental Loupes and LED Light

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smile Center

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

As you know that many of us are getting acceptance calls, it is an appropriate time to think about expensive utilies that we need for sure in teh dental school.

Two things: Magnification loupes and LED head light.

Both are very expensive if we buy in the US. Two very famous brands are 1) Carls Weiss
2) Optiplex

Carls sells both loupes and head light for a total of 2400 US $
If we buy it from optiplex, it goes down to 1800$ after taxes.

Now, as far as I know, we have places in asian countries (like India), from where we can have these products close to $200 or so.

I need your knowlege regarding this matter. Please reply so that we can reduce our schooling cost.

Members don't see this ad.

Well lets see what I can say about this since I am already a DDS.

1. you dont need a LED light, if you get one you will be the only one in the class and trust me ur not doing microsurgery.

2. always buy in the USA. why? because if something happens to your loupes you can ship it overnight and get them repaired also have warrenty.

3. Now getting to the cost. When you get into dental school, companies come to the school and offer loupes at huge discounts cause ur a student. No point asking them now cause u wont get a realistic price, only at the school u will get a amazing deal.

If you have any other questions or concerns ask me. Dentistry is a very rewarding profession, I know costs are high, but u will make everything back first year out.

Good luck

Last edited:
Pretty much everyone in my class has loupes (except for two of people), and I'd say about 1/4 of them have a light... and more and more keep buying them. I have loupes, but I almost think I'd rather have a light. Sometimes that overhead light just does not go where you want it to go.

Some schools, like Pacific have loupes in their kit, and you have to buy them anyways, so don't buy anything before you know what's in your kit, because you will end up paying twice. The light gets more and more popular, but it's a personal choice. But like somebody already said here -- it's not microsurgery.