2005 new PGY-I's: which path books??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mrbojangles said:
I'm lactose intolerant but I can handle ice cream, pudding, custard. I do have problems with yogurt though.

What about the WHO books? I've only seen people refer to the WHO books for questions but I've never heard of anyone using it as a knowledge source. I thought the hemepath and neuropath WHO books were very good. Sometimes when I read Rosai I'd read a page and then at the end of the page I'd be like "and what the hell did I just read?".

I HIGHLY recommend buying all the WHO books. For one, they are written with non-English speakers in mind and are insanely easy to read (I also think Rosai is easy to read, I read both volumes cover to cover in 3-4 weeks vs. something like almost a year working through the original Sternberg). You can read and retain an entire WHO book in a single day to 2 days of solid effort. They are very very complete relatively up to date and WHO is stopping print on most of them and I predict the price will rise alot on the second market. Along the same lines is the AFIP (new hardbound!) books but they are VASTLY more verbose with tons of absurd obscure entities you will never encounter.

9283224159.01._AA400_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-1416460-5523340?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Members don't see this ad.

LADoc00 said:
Along the same lines is the AFIP (new hardbound!) books but they are VASTLY more verbose with tons of absurd obscure entities you will never encounter.

One of the very nice things about being in the military is we get these bad boys for free.

LADoc00 said:
(I also think Rosai is easy to read, I read both volumes cover to cover in 3-4 weeks vs. something like almost a year working through the original Sternberg).

Well thanks for letting it be known that you find Rosai easy to read :laugh:. I find his grammer and sentence construction to be a little burdensome at times. I thought Sternberg was supposed to be easier to read? I never really looked at Sternberg's though.

I didn't know they had a WHO book for GU pathology. I figure the WHO books for GI/liver, GYN/breast, and heme path would be good buys.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are all the WHO books good? I am having a hard time finding WHO skin and HEENT available anywhere.

EvilNewbie said:
Are all the WHO books good? I am having a hard time finding WHO skin and HEENT available anywhere.

I don't think there are any WHO books for HEENT and skin. There are books for GI/liver, GYN/breast, GU, lung (though it looks out of date), endocrine, neuro, and heme. I know there is a heme WHO book but I can't find it on Amazon, perhaps they stopped publishing it. I don't know of any alternatives for skin and HEENT but Wheedon is kind of out of the question for me :laugh:.

Mrbojangles said:
I don't think there are any WHO books for HEENT and skin. There are books for GI/liver, GYN/breast, GU, lung (though it looks out of date), endocrine, neuro, and heme. I know there is a heme WHO book but I can't find it on Amazon, perhaps they stopped publishing it. I don't know of any alternatives for skin and HEENT but Wheedon is kind of out of the question for me :laugh:.

McKee's Essentials of Skin pathology is THE shiat. Buy it, know it, love it.
0723430675.01._AA400_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg