2008-2009 AMCAS Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
actually I am quadruple majoring. I know some school's do not allow this anymore, but most do. I'm asking because I'm thinking of doing a fifth major which would require only one more course outside of what I'm already taking. While I've heard of people quadruple majoring, I've never heard of someone who quintuple majored, and was thus wondering whether AMCAS would allow me to enter all five if I go ahead and take that extra course. I'm not doing this to impress adcoms or anything, as I realize it won't. I'm doing it for myself.
nice...iBut I need to ask, if you're not doing it to impress anyone or the adcoms, why does it matter?

Members don't see this ad.

actually I am quadruple majoring. I know some school's do not allow this anymore, but most do. I'm asking because I'm thinking of doing a fifth major which would require only one more course outside of what I'm already taking. While I've heard of people quadruple majoring, I've never heard of someone who quintuple majored, and was thus wondering whether AMCAS would allow me to enter all five if I go ahead and take that extra course. I'm not doing this to impress adcoms or anything, as I realize it won't. I'm doing it for myself.

A quintuple major?!? How many years of ugrad have you done/hours per semester? Also what are these five majors? And WHY?! =P

nice...iBut I need to ask, if you're not doing it to impress anyone or the adcoms, why does it matter?

because i want my application to be accurate. if i major in xyzqp, and my app says i majored in xyz, than this would be inaccurate information and it would be dishonest to submit this to an adcom.

Members don't see this ad :)
because i want my application to be accurate. if i major in xyzqp, and my app says i majored in xyz, than this would be inaccurate information and it would be dishonest to submit this to an adcom.
Not if they only allow you to enter 3 or 4, its nots like its your fault if they dont have enough spaces to accomodate yours.

Not if they only allow you to enter 3 or 4, its nots like its your fault if they dont have enough spaces to accomodate yours.

it's not a matter of who would be at fault; it's the fact that if it turns out to be the case that they only allow me to enter 3 or 4, then my application would be rendered inaccurate by virtue of this inadequacy. I feel it would be my obligation to communicate this issue with amcas to have the max number expanded to accommodate quintuple/quadruple majors. it would be like if i asked you what colors are the american flag, and you answered 'red'. this response would be inaccurate, as indeed the american flag is red, white, and blue. furthermore, to officiate that answer (ie to submit the amcas with 3 rather than 5 majors) would be gravely dishonest and would be very deceptive to adcoms, who are looking for the full truth, not part of it.

it's not a matter of who would be at fault; it's the fact that if it turns out to be the case that they only allow me to enter 3 or 4, then my application would be rendered inaccurate by virtue of this inadequacy. I feel it would be my obligation to communicate this issue with amcas to have the max number expanded to accommodate quintuple/quadruple majors. it would be like if i asked you what colors are the american flag, and you answered 'red'. this response would be inaccurate, as indeed the american flag is red, white, and blue. furthermore, to officiate that answer (ie to submit the amcas with 3 rather than 5 majors) would be gravely dishonest and would be very deceptive to adcoms, who are looking for the full truth, not part of it.

major in less things then you won't run into this problem

Little defensive?
What are your majors? (just curious)

You're being neurotic. Nobody would care.

Before this gets out of hand let me interject. First off, no one on here knows because no one has quintupple majored. Secondly, you're not going to get many constructive answers because the overwhelming majority on SDN feel that the point of having 5 majors is not going to help you and is superfluous/unnecessary. The AAMC and AMCAS have an excellent technical support system. Please contact them.

i knew someone that quadruple majored. he had little problems getting into med school.

i think inaccuracies (what you are calling dishonesty) that do not have the potential to help your application (reporting 4 rather than 5 majors has no chance of HELPING your application) really dont matter.

would adcomms care if i reported 20 hrs of volunteering rather than 200? not at all...

To him, it's an ethical dilemma.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't hate just because he has more majors than you :) He asked a simple question, no need to try to degrade him by questioning his purpose for having them. Apparently he has done alot of work, and would like credit for it. There is nothing wrong in that.

Don't hate just because he has more majors than you :) He asked a simple question, no need to try to degrade him by questioning his purpose for having them. Apparently he has done alot of work, and would like credit for it. There is nothing wrong in that.
He gets diplomas. That could cost him almost 1k to frame them all. Thats enough credit in my book.

He gets diplomas. That could cost him almost 1k to frame them all. Thats enough credit in my book.

Double major is not the same as double degree. Double degrees require doing the full thing over. IE for each degree you need to take separate writing and humanities classes as if you were repeating four entire years. Double majors just have both written on one degree. Probably the same for triple and quadruple.

Kinda says something about your school though that they'd even let you get away with that. One class for another major? They don't have requirements like "X # of your classes must not be used towards another major"?

TROLL-BANK-ALL.jpg

LOL

Seriously, how does one "quintuple major?" Either you are in school for 7+ years year-round, or you have some very overlapping degrees...

U of M wouldn't even let you double-major if the 2 degrees were from the same Dept. So you'd have to be in school FOREVER. But hey, if that's your thing, and you have the money, don't let anyone stop you.

So the AMCAS help tool says this ID# can be found on my letter request form, but I haven't been able to locate that either.

I'm sure it's somewhere painfully obvious, but can anybody help me out with this?

Thanks

I've got a pretty simple question and I've looked all over but can't seem to find a concise answer. When filling out the EC section of the AMCAS application, is there any specific order that I should list my activities? For instance; by category, length, importance, etc? Thanks.

Can any one tell how long it will take to review my application? it's already been over 20 days since they have received my transcripts and submitted for review?

There is an AMCAS verification thread floating around here, just compare yourself to the other dates on that list, you should be able to figure out how much longer you have to wait.

I have a few questions for filling out my amcas. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

1) I am expecting a grade change in a class. Can I submit my amcas and then change the grade that appears on the amcas for the class later? Of course, I would update amcas with a new transcript with the new grade.

2) I am currently taking a summer course that should end August 19th, and I should have a grade for that course a few days later, which should help my amcas GPA. What can I do to have this on my amcas gpa if I plan to submit my app before I get the grade?

3) Is it agreed that lists are better for the extracurricular description as compared to paragraph form?

Click on Letters of Evaluation. Click Print Request form. PDF pops up with the info.

Moving to AMCAS sticky.

All I get when I click the LoE tab is it asks me if I want to submit any letters. I'm pretty sure that I don't, because I have a Pre-Health adviser who handles all of my letters through VirtualEvals.

He does, however, need the AMCAS letter ID, and unfortunately I still can't find it. I haven't tried adding a dummy letter or anything bc I know that once I submit it I can't take it back since I've already submitted the AMCAS (though not verified).

Hey everyone,

I had a job during undergrad almost four years ago. I know this is terrible, but I can't for the life of me remember my direct supervisor's name, and I can't find any record of it.

Anyone know how important the "contact" names are? Would it look bad/shady if I didn't provide one for this job? Are they ever actually contacted?

Thanks!

Hello I just got verified today but there was what I think is a mistake:

My 3 years are as follows:

Freshman: 30 hours
Sophmore: 21 hours
Junior: 24 hours

But AMCAS calculated it as:

Sophmore: 33 hours
Junior: 12 hours

Is this normal or should I request a change?

So I just received word from AMCAS saying my application had been verified but when I went to look over my grades I saw an F next to my grade in Physics 2. I took Physics 1 during the summer of 2005 at a community college near home but then withdrew from Physics 2 when I decided to take it at my regular institution during the Fall. AMCAS said they need a new transcript from the community college with a letter stating that they had changed the grade and why they had to change it. However, the community college has no record of me withdrawing from the class and therefore wont change my transcript. I am certain that I requested to be withdrawn but I have no paperwork to prove this. Its a F in a freaking 5 credit class and its gonna kill my gpa! What do you guys think I can I do about this?

I would request a meeting with the dean of students at the college at the community college and explain. I think it is more than obvious that if you didn't take any of the tests/final etc., you thought you were withdrawn. Hopefully they will understand and search for records proving that and change your grade.

You made a huge mistake by not seeing it through at the community college to ensure that it actually read a W. You also made a mistake for not noticing this earlier by not checkign your community college transcript.

What you can do depends on a few things. Did you actually go to the class for a little bit, then withdraw or did you withdraw before it actually started? If you went to the class, go talk to the professor and see if you can get him to indicate that you did indeed withdraw (ie no midterm/final grades if there are any remaining records), petition the dean for a transcript change and hope for the best. This is going to take a very long time probably which doesnt bode well for this cycle....

Yea I know it was a mistake not to check it, but I had no reason to assume that I hadnt withdrawn from the course until I saw the grade on my AMCAS. I am trying to have the teacher of the course tell them I wasnt in the class but the community college says that this probably wont be enough to have the grade change. Do you think its worth writing a letter to each school letting them know about my situation?

it means it's a medically underserved area (or part of it is a medically underserved area)....anyone had any ideas about my question above?

Hey... I posted this in the AMCAS Verification forum yesterday, but it seems that it may have been the wrong place to ask questions... more of just posting verification stats?
Anywho!

So, I'm working on my secondaries right now, and was going through my AMCAS application, only to notice that they changed all my semester hours during the verification process, and I only noticed now. Here's the deal -- I went to Wesleyan, where 1 course is 1.00 credits/semester hours. If you matriculated before Sept 2000, this translated to 3.5 semester hours elsewhere; after Sept 2000, 1.00 Wesleyan credits translates to 4.00 semester hours. Well, all my 1.00 credit classes have been changed to 3.5 semester hours!! >.<

The website that describes it is found here:
http://www.wesleyan.edu/crc/pathways...rgradtime.html

I'm so kicking myself for not having noticed this sooner! I just sent an e-mail to AMCAS to ask about this, and will likely call them tomorrow. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there anything else I should be doing? Should I be contacting the schools that I've applied to?
Any input would be great!!!!!

</anxious>:scared::scared::eek:

Hello I just got verified today but there was what I think is a mistake:

My 3 years are as follows:

Sophmore: 21 hours
Junior: 24 hours

But AMCAS calculated it as:

Sophmore: 33 hours
Junior: 12 hours

Is this normal or should I request a change?

Unfortunately for us, this is correct according to the AMCAS rules. They don't calculate GPAs for each year chronologically, instead they lump together credits regardless of what year they were taken in.

This is probably a ridiculous question to those who are already in the application process, and I know this forum isn't the place for ridiculous questions, but will someone please tell me when AMCAS can first be submitted. I have no intention of applying this year, but I'd like to have a mental timeline for myself for next year's app cycle. I've read about the importance of applying early, so advice will be appreciated

BTW, I'm sure this question has been answered 100 times. I'm just too lazy to search through 40 pages to find an answer

I attempted to search the forum and this and other threads but I couldn't dig up an answer.

I marked my ER volunteering experience as continuing "until present." I submitted my primary in June, have completed many secondaries, and I'm starting to get interview invites. My question is: when do adcoms assume an "until present" activity ends? Is it assumed it is continued indefinitely? Is there some magic cut off time? Or should I notify all the schools when the activity ends?

If volunteering is no longer helping me in the admissions process, then I don't really want to keep doing it. Not that I don't enjoy it or anything, but it's just one more demand on my time.

This is probably a ridiculous question to those who are already in the application process, and I know this forum isn't the place for ridiculous questions, but will someone please tell me when AMCAS can first be submitted. I have no intention of applying this year, but I'd like to have a mental timeline for myself for next year's app cycle. I've read about the importance of applying early, so advice will be appreciated

BTW, I'm sure this question has been answered 100 times. I'm just too lazy to search through 40 pages to find an answer

The new version of AMCAS usually becomes available to fill out in mid-May, and then available to submit in early June. This year it was June 4, but it's a little different every year.

I know I am running late in the application cycle but I wanted to know that before submitting the amcas application can I view the application in its entirety?

Also when AMCAS has verified the application, can I see the changes or the whole application as would be seen by a medical school admissions officer?

BTW, does AMCAS make comments or changes on your application to medical schools, that you cant see but a medical school can see?

thanks!

I know I am running late in the application cycle but I wanted to know that before submitting the amcas application can I view the application in its entirety?

Also when AMCAS has verified the application, can I see the changes or the whole application as would be seen by a medical school admissions officer?

BTW, does AMCAS make comments or changes on your application to medical schools, that you cant see but a medical school can see?

thanks!

Why would you start two threads on the same topic? That is truly annoying. I wish SDN could keep track of that and report it:laugh: j/k.

P.S. You should ask these questions to AMCAS people.

1. Before submitting the amcas application can I view the application in its entirety?
There should be a link to a pdf that summarizes your entire application on the main page after you log-in.

2. When AMCAS has verified the application, can I see the changes or the whole application as would be seen by a medical school admissions officer?
You can see the changes (if any) made by AMCAS on the pdf. I can't think of any changes that wouldn't be in the coursework section. Generally, any changes that are made are due to a mislabeled course (e.g. BCPM when it's not).

3. Does AMCAS make comments or changes on your application to medical schools, that you cant see but a medical school can see?
I wouldn't think so. Should there be any changes they make, it will be labeled on the pdf with a symbol.

Hi,
I initially added 2 LORs to the AMCAS LOR section. Then, I added a third one couple of weeks ago. My Boston U application says received the first two. Will the AMCAS update them with the third letter?

The new version of AMCAS usually becomes available to fill out in mid-May, and then available to submit in early June. This year it was June 4, but it's a little different every year.

Thanks Carlin. Nice app BTW

Everyone has been talking about how their AMCAS GPA has changed post verification. Is the only way to determine if your GPA has changed is to recalculate it yourself or am I an idiot and can't find it on my app?

I was wondering about that too! My app just got verified (it says complete) but I can't find my GPAs that they calculated. Where can I find my GPAs???

I was wondering about that too! My app just got verified (it says complete) but I can't find my GPAs that they calculated. Where can I find my GPAs???
It won't show up until your application status is "processed," which took about 2 weeks after submission for me. Then when you review your app the GPAs will show up after the list of your courses/grades/hours.

You have to click on "Print application" and then go to the coursework section.

Does AMCAS want high school transcripts? I sent in my app, but it says that it's waiting for transcripts, even though it says that AMCAS has received my college transcripts...