2008-2009 AMCAS Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does AMCAS want high school transcripts? I sent in my app, but it says that it's waiting for transcripts, even though it says that AMCAS has received my college transcripts...

they dont need high school transcripts but they do need college and any joint enrolled institutions (if u went to college during high school)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I submitted Letter of Rec info on AMCAS when I first submitted, but one of the writers won't be giving me a letter. A different writer will take her place, so I created a new letter packet. How do I delete the first one? I think I have to submit a request to delete it in writing, but will an email suffice or do I need to fax/mail it to AMCAS? Thanks!

I have a LOR question as well. I have a committee letter that is being sent by my school but I did research this summer and my PI offered to write me an LOR. The only problem is I'm not sure when he will write this letter and I don't want it to hold up my applications. Is there a way I can send his LOR to select schools? Can I add a letter to AMCAS in October or something like that?

Members don't see this ad :)
did u guys get someone to proofread ur secondaries?

I've been complete and "ready for review" with my AMCAS primary since the 25th of July but it still says "ready for review".... I know it says that it could take 6 weeks but I have everything else done and I'm getting annoyed because while everyone else is getting interviews I'm just sitting here "in line" ...I know they are busy too but does anyone know how long the process actually takes around this time of the year? or is it too ridiculous to e-mail them and ask?

I've been complete and "ready for review" with my AMCAS primary since the 25th of July but it still says "ready for review".... I know it says that it could take 6 weeks but I have everything else done and I'm getting annoyed because while everyone else is getting interviews I'm just sitting here "in line" ...I know they are busy too but does anyone know how long the process actually takes around this time of the year? or is it too ridiculous to e-mail them and ask?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527396

Looks like they're at about 3 weeks.

Quick question:

It costs 160 dollars to submit your application with 1 school and 30 dollars for each additional school. If you submit your application with only one school and add more later do they charge you another 160 dollars at that time or simply the 30 more per additional school?

Thanks.

Quick question:

It costs 160 dollars to submit your application with 1 school and 30 dollars for each additional school. If you submit your application with only one school and add more later do they charge you another 160 dollars at that time or simply the 30 more per additional school?

Thanks.
Just the $30 more per school

Hello

I am wondering what kind of "Experience Description" do I need to inlcude for "Honors/Awards/Recognition" ? I think it will be very short.

Does anyone know if it is possible to unsubmit my application...make a few changes...and submit it again?

thanks

Are there any secondaries I can complete/submit while I'm being verified? I received Chicago-pritzkers and was wondering if there were any other schools that did the same?

and to SuperPreMed: as far as I know, that is not possible.

So, I forgot to add in future coursework... AMCAS says I can't use the Academic Change Request to edit the future coursework part, and when I emailed them, they said to just contact the schools directly with that info. Just wondering if anybody else has done this and if they know how I should go about doing this... I'm planning on just emailing admissions offices, I suppose. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I took the MCAT on August 5th, and I wanted to submit the AMCAS before the scores are released, so the processing period doesn't work against me. Is it ok for me to submit with no MCAT data listed, and assume the info will be relayed as soon as it becomes available?

Also, I'm having trouble writing my EC/activities blurbs. I'm going for a bullet point/CV approach, but I could REALLY use an example to have a better idea of what to shoot for. Could someone post/PM me an example of an activity/EC description?
Thanks!

This is a really stupid question, but do you list awards under the 15 activities section or do you list them separately? If separately, how many spaces are there for awards? (I haven't seen the apps yet)

Yes, list them in the EC section. Usually people group all awards into one listing and then describe each one in the comments section.

So I took the MCAT on August 5th, and I wanted to submit the AMCAS before the scores are released, so the processing period doesn't work against me. Is it ok for me to submit with no MCAT data listed, and assume the info will be relayed as soon as it becomes available?

As long as you indicate on your AMCAS that you took the 8/5 MCAT, then it's okay to submit. When released, your scores will automatically be uploaded to your application.

I forgot to mention that I am doing my master in Biomedical Science on my AMCAS application.

Is that bad?

I forgot to mention that I am doing my master in Biomedical Science on my AMCAS application.

Is that bad?

It would probably be difficult to change anything on your AMCAS app after it's been submitted. I'd definitely suggest telling your individual schools about it and explain why it isn't on the AMCAS (so they won't think your inconsistency is weird).

My AMCAS app has been ready for review since July 21st, and I know it takes awhile but I'm really stressing out because it is getting later and later! Is it too much to e-mail AMCAS and simply ask when it might possibly be finished? This probably sounds ridiculous but I hate not knowing and continually waiting.

My AMCAS app has been ready for review since July 21st, and I know it takes awhile but I'm really stressing out because it is getting later and later! Is it too much to e-mail AMCAS and simply ask when it might possibly be finished? This probably sounds ridiculous but I hate not knowing and continually waiting.
lets see, according to http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=7025395#post7025395 they are verifying the people from 7/22... today. So you should know by tomorrow.

Thank you so much Raryn, I've really been stressing about waiting without knowing when it might even be close to being done! :D Feel better now :p

Finally verified.

Gah my GPA sucks but the upward trend is awesome.

Total GPA:

Freshman: 3.06 :scared:
Sophmore: 3.21 :rolleyes:
Junior: 3.83:D
Overall: 3.4 :mad:

Okay AMCAS gave me a big X under the AMCAS Use column for my Gen chem I lab. Wtf? They didn't do it for gen chem lab II. IS this one of those things that I need to have corrected by them? The grade won't really help/hurt either way, but I'm more concerned about schools not giving me credit for having that semester of gen chem lab.

Last edited:
Finally verified.

Gah my GPA sucks but the upward trend is awesome.

Total GPA:

Freshman: 3.06 :scared:
Sophmore: 3.21 :rolleyes:
Junior: 3.83:D
Overall: 3.4 :mad:

Okay AMCAS gave me a big X under the AMCAS Use column for my Gen chem I lab. Wtf? They didn't do it for gen chem lab II. IS this one of those things that I need to have corrected by them? The grade won't really help/hurt either way, but I'm more concerned about schools not giving me credit for having that semester of gen chem lab.
Theres a glossary of symbols at the end of the PDF. The X means that they corrected something for that class, whether its the name, the designation, or the grade. If the current information is correct, don't worry about it. Whatever was "wrong", they fixed it.

My AMCAS is ready to go, but I'm waiting on LORs. I'm applying to USF and FIU, which both need LORs from AMCAS. Can I submit my AMCAS now and add LORs when they come in?

now that I have submitted my AMCAS, I got a message saying
"You have successfully submitted your AMCAS application to the 2009
entering class. Your application will be ready for review once AMCAS
receives all of your official transcripts." But the problem is I've already submitted my transcript. It even says as much- "Status: Recieved" Anyone know why it's doing that? .... I don't need to submit one from high school, do I?

now that I have submitted my AMCAS, I got a message saying
"You have successfully submitted your AMCAS application to the 2009
entering class. Your application will be ready for review once AMCAS
receives all of your official transcripts." But the problem is I've already submitted my transcript. It even says as much- "Status: Recieved" Anyone know why it's doing that? .... I don't need to submit one from high school, do I?

no, ure fine... it takes a day or two to update and change to file in line for review :)

no, ure fine... it takes a day or two to update and change to file in line for review :)

I'm guessing you understand being slightly neurotic about this sort of stuff... ahh med school- Stressing me out and I haven't even made it yet.

Hey all, I have a concern about my application. I am sending in my AMCAS application tomorrow (Aug 17th) and my trascript will leave Monday. I have heard there is a five week processing time as well. So, my application is going in EXTREMELY later than I had thought that it would. I have a 3.8 overall and science gpa from UNC and a 34 MCAT. I have lots of time at my research position which i recieved my own grant for, some overseas work, and i am the pres of an organization that i revamped. so with all of that, have i ruined my chances by applying this late? My ultimate acceptance goals are UNC, UVA, NYU, Miami and Brown. Thank you all.

J

Hey all, I have a concern about my application. I am sending in my AMCAS application tomorrow (Aug 17th) and my trascript will leave Monday. I have heard there is a five week processing time as well. So, my application is going in EXTREMELY later than I had thought that it would. I have a 3.8 overall and science gpa from UNC and a 34 MCAT. I have lots of time at my research position which i recieved my own grant for, some overseas work, and i am the pres of an organization that i revamped. so with all of that, have i ruined my chances by applying this late? My ultimate acceptance goals are UNC, UVA, NYU, Miami and Brown. Thank you all.

J
Right now its 3-4 weeks processing time. You're over the "hump" when it comes to the longest wait.

Still not exactly convenient though, so do it ASAP. You still have a pretty damn good shot at getting an acceptance, but don't push it.

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering how long after an interview do medical schools typically notify you as to whether you are accepted, rejected, or waitlisted?

Are we talking a couple of weeks or months?

I really appreciate your advice :)

hello - I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere - a redirect would be appreciated if it has.

I sent my LORs to AMCAS using Interfolio about two weeks ago, but under the Letters of Evaluation section in my AMCAS app, it is still saying that the letter status is "not received'. How long does it usually take for AMCAS to process the letters once they've gotten them? And then how long does it take to get the letters from AMCAS to the participating schools?

Quick question...if I add med schools while I am "ready for review" does that reset my ranking in their system or anything like that after I re-submit? Hopefully not...

Thanks for any help in advance :)

it makes sense. adcoms have to read how many of these things? if i was in their position, i'd much rather see a concise, bulleted description than a 1500 character manuscript on each activity.
Hey Your profile picture is great. I had a presentation as an undergrad about malaria and I used that picture:).
I am not actually replying to what you said but I have just joined this website and I am seriously confused.
I am planning on taking the MCAT in April 2009. I heard that the Princeton MCAT CBT review book was a great resource to start studying. I was wondering if there is anyone who used it and what they thought of it. What else do you guys recommend?
Thanks a lot.

How long does it take for AMCAS to post the LORs are received once it has been received?

I know my school is submitting it electronically.

About a month ago someone posted that their advisor recieved an email from AMCAS saying how many applications have been submitted and that kind of stuff.

Does anyone have any updates? What do you guys think...maybe about 70% have already submitted? I completed mind a month ago, but am thinking about adding another school.

Hey guys,

I have all my letters in a file at my undergrad college. If they are going to send them all out to the med schools, do i need to enter all the info about my letter writters in the "letters of evaluation" section on AMCAS? What about if the new AMCAS letter system is sending them out to the schools that are participating in that.

... and one more thing - where do i get the letter of req form to send to my undergrad school so they can send the letters to the new AMCAS service?

Sorry about so many questions, just want to make sure I get it right

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I have all my letters in a file at my undergrad college. If they are going to send them all out to the med schools, do i need to enter all the info about my letter writters in the "letters of evaluation" section on AMCAS? What about if the new AMCAS letter system is sending them out to the schools that are participating in that.

... and one more thing - where do i get the letter of req form to send to my undergrad school so they can send the letters to the new AMCAS service?

Sorry about so many questions, just want to make sure I get it right

Thanks!

Yes, I would enter all the name/contact information into the LOE AMCAS section. After you do that, they will prepare a PDF request form and ask if you want to download it. You should print those forms (1 per recommender) to your undergrad school and they will pair it will the actual recommendations and then send it all to AMCAS.

Also, after you enter all the names of the recommenders into the LOE section, make sure you hit the submit button on the main page. Otherwise it won't save your changes and you'll have to enter them in again (like I did...3 times).

so i just got verified and when I was looking through it it says that the area I am from is considered underserved (it has a U next to it). I didn't say yes for disadvantaged because I don't feel I was & my community is fairly middle class in my opinion. So what does this designation mean? Should I had said yes to the disadvantaged section?

so i just got verified and when I was looking through it it says that the area I am from is considered underserved (it has a U next to it). I didn't say yes for disadvantaged because I don't feel I was & my community is fairly middle class in my opinion. So what does this designation mean? Should I had said yes to the disadvantaged section?
Its pretty meaningless. AMCAS has a database of underserved counties, but even the poorest county probably has a good portion of people that aren't underserved. If you don't think you're disadvantaged, don't put it. I know I didn't.

I will be reapplying to med-school again this year and was wondering whether or not I should write a new personal statement...I know schools get so many that they have a bunch of different readers, so I was thinking it would be very rare to get the same reader and the same PS from last year wouldn't matter...Am I correct in this matter or should I just suck it up and start writting another?

I will be reapplying to med-school again this year and was wondering whether or not I should write a new personal statement...I know schools get so many that they have a bunch of different readers, so I was thinking it would be very rare to get the same reader and the same PS from last year wouldn't matter...Am I correct in this matter or should I just suck it up and start writting another?

I'm assuming you did something worthwhile in the time since you last applied, so I'd say suck it up and describe how you've changed since the last go around.

I'm assuming you did something worthwhile in the time since you last applied, so I'd say suck it up and describe how you've changed since the last go around.
That is another thing, I haven't really...The only real changes made were graduating and doing a grad program, shadowed a doctor a couple weeks, and change of employment....Outside of that reasoning and what not has not changed.

So at this point in the cycle, what is the lag time between when a letter packet is sent out and when AMCAS registers it as received? For what its worth, my application is already processed,

That is another thing, I haven't really...The only real changes made were graduating and doing a grad program, shadowed a doctor a couple weeks, and change of employment....Outside of that reasoning and what not has not changed.

If nothing has changed how to you expect a different outcome than last time..? Don't adcoms want to see reapplicants with a renewed sense of purpose and some kind of demonstrable progress from last cycle?

Does anyone know how long it takes AMCAS to upload your LOEs? Mine were supposedly sent out last week.