2008-2009 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I received a phone call today and was accepted to Upstate! I am so freaking excited. It is weird though that it doesn't correlate to the dates someone else here was told. Anyway, interview was Nov 18 for your info.
got the same phone call yesterday =) I interviewed on 11/19. I wasn't expecting such a quick turn around! Yay upstate!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
got the same phone call yesterday =) I interviewed on 11/24. I wasn't expecting such a quick turn around! Yay upstate!

Congrats! We interviewed on the same day, so hopefully I get a phone call soon (fingers crossed). I don't remember who you were, but I guess you did a good job in your interview :)

Congrats! We interviewed on the same day, so hopefully I get a phone call soon (fingers crossed). I don't remember who you were, but I guess you did a good job in your interview :)
oops I lied. I meant 11/19. We almost met tho, aznboy... lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats very interesting that there already beginning to pull people off the HPA list, hopefully i get pulled off soon and can finally get that much heralded FIRST acceptance.

hahah, just to let u guys know i was so excited, i accidentally posted this in the DOWNSTATE thread first lol.

WOW, i cannot believe i just got into medical school, just recieved a call from SUNY Upstate this morning, and i have been accepted!!!!!!! i cannot believe it. I interviewed 9/24, was placed on the HPA list on 10/18 and was accepted on 12/11. WOW YEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH im gonna be a doctor.

hahah, just to let u guys know i was so excited, i accidentally posted this in the DOWNSTATE thread first lol.

WOW, i cannot believe i just got into medical school, just recieved a call from SUNY Upstate this morning, and i have been accepted!!!!!!! i cannot believe it. I interviewed 9/24, was placed on the HPA list on 10/18 and was accepted on 12/11. WOW YEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH im gonna be a doctor.

:soexcited:congratssss!! the first one is always the best one!:clap:
i just got pulled off HPA this morning too!!
I heard from downstate recently as well :D
I can't believe I actually have a decision to make...never thought i would lol

CONGRATS MAN, i honestly cannot believe i just got into medical school, im afraid im dreaming lol, did you get waitlisted at Downstate and then accepted or accepted outright?

CONGRATS MAN, i honestly cannot believe i just got into medical school, im afraid im dreaming lol, did you get waitlisted at Downstate and then accepted or accepted outright?

i got accepted right away! :D, It was my first one
I'm from nyc so I'm leaning towards downstate...
but i really liked upstate too, what I noticed was that everyone there was reallyy nice and super chill
are you waiting on downstate too?

well i interviewed at downstate and they placed me in the re-review in the spring category which is basically a waitlist, i would love to get into downstate cuz id get sucha great clinical experience but im more then happy attending syracuse, yeh i thought the kids at syracuse were real chill to and i liked how the medical school campus merged with the university campus had a nice academic atmosphere to it, Also im a big Syracuse Orange Basketball fan so cuse would be fun.

well i interviewed at downstate and they placed me in the re-review in the spring category which is basically a waitlist, i would love to get into downstate cuz id get sucha great clinical experience but im more then happy attending syracuse, yeh i thought the kids at syracuse were real chill to and i liked how the medical school campus merged with the university campus had a nice academic atmosphere to it, Also im a big Syracuse Orange Basketball fan so cuse would be fun.

yeah both schools are great! I would be happy at either I think :D
:luck::luck: with downstate! I'll let them know that they should accept you :laugh:

hahha, yeh just tell em, that your matriculation into downstate is dependent on whether or not they let me in lol.

Hope to be joining the Upstate/Downstate club soon...if I do get into Upstate, it will be a tough decision..

Members don't see this ad :)
hahha, yeh just tell em, that your matriculation into downstate is dependent on whether or not they let me in lol.

I'll just tell them they need more indian kids in their class :cool:
i def guessed u were indian based on ur mdapps saying south asian
haha

darknight, congrats! I almost passed out when they called me and I was too excited to ask the appropriate questions...do you know how quickly we're supposed to get paperwork? Did they email you anything as well? I think it's only a $100 deposit, and supposedly we have two weeks after getting our paperwork to submit.

darknight, congrats! I almost passed out when they called me and I was too excited to ask the appropriate questions...do you know how quickly we're supposed to get paperwork? Did they email you anything as well? I think it's only a $100 deposit, and supposedly we have two weeks after getting our paperwork to submit.

yeahhh, they actually woke me up this morning, i was trying hard to sound not asleep :laugh: but i did hear her say the package should come soon, she didn't say anything about an email....

Yeh she told me id be recieving the acceptance package in teh mail within the next 2 weeks. Yeh all i kept saying to the women i was talking to was "thats awesome" and "thank you so much" lol.

I'd really like some sort of written verification of my acceptance because I seriously keep worrying that I imagined the whole thing or they made some sort of mistake.

And I sounded like a complete idiot on the phone as well. Plus it was my birthday so I was extra excited.

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE!!! This is so exciting!!! :) I still haven't heard from either Upstate or Downstate. When did you guys interview?

Congrats DarkKnight! :highfive::clap::soexcited::woot::banana:
I was in your position last week. That first acceptance is definitely a special one, enjoy it while it lasts!

Edit: Just read the rest of the page. Congrats to everyone else! I was accepted to Downstate and am hoping to hear back from Upstate next week, so hopefully I will have a similar decision to make.

Sweet. I got the paperwork tonight. Now I'll try to relax.

i interview 1/12. originally, they wanted me to interview 2/19, but i'm going to be at nymc on 1/15 so they bumped me up. i pray for the best for me. congrats to the ones that got in

for those who wrote the additional essays for upstate, does the four interest in Q1 mean four activities of interest or just any four general aspects in life?

for those who wrote the additional essays for upstate, does the four interest in Q1 mean four activities of interest or just any four general aspects in life?

I wrote about four hobbies.

I declined my acceptance, and I hope that one of you HPA guys gets my spot! Good luck!

hey funkydrmonkey....do you mind me asking why you declined your acceptance?

hey funkydrmonkey....do you mind me asking why you declined your acceptance?

I got into UT Southwestern which is much cheaper, and also warmer. I really liked the school though... If I did not get accepted to UTSW, then I would take the acceptance. I also saw that people were getting off the HPA list, and I did not want to take someone else's spot, since they will be more likely to go to Upstate.

I got into UT Southwestern which is much cheaper, and also warmer. I really liked the school though... If I did not get accepted to UTSW, then I would take the acceptance. I also saw that people were getting off the HPA list, and I did not want to take someone else's spot, since they will be more likely to go to Upstate.

That is really kind and thoughtful of you. Thank you. Congratulations on your acceptance! Definitely a job well done. :)

oh man I know you were agonizing waiting for an acceptance! Congrats are still in order :)

After the third call, finally picked up that "private" phonecall who I suspected was a telemarketer. Turns out it was Upstate! Accepted off HPA

My status page changed today to decision made. I interviewed exactly 2 weeks ago (dec 3rd). Should I be nervous????? I don't know what to think!

I interviewed Dec. 1st but there isn't any section there for status only the Interview invite info still. If you read back further in this thread people have experienced some different outcomes with the decision made status.. so who knows.. Good Luck!

does anyone know if "decision made" pre-interview = rejection? Was previously on HOLD status. :thumbdown:

has anyone heard anything from upstate lately? i interviewed 11/18 but i'm still waiting for a decision to be made.

has anyone heard anything from upstate lately? i interviewed 11/18 but i'm still waiting for a decision to be made.

Also waiting for decision, interview was 11/24. My status page still looks the same and I haven't gotten a phone call, so I guess they're still waiting to review mine or something.

Also waiting for decision, interview was 11/24. My status page still looks the same and I haven't gotten a phone call, so I guess they're still waiting to review mine or something.

They take a while to review apps:rolleyes::laugh:

I dunno, they told us 3-4 weeks on Interview Day. I might wait until after the new year to call though.

Yah that is what they told me in early October and it still took 7.5 weeks.

Yah that is what they told me in early October and it still took 7.5 weeks.

Maybe they'll go easier on me since I'm IS? :laugh: Hopefully I'll get a phone call soon, but yeah I don't mind waiting until after the 1st.

does anyone know if "decision made" pre-interview = rejection? Was previously on HOLD status. :thumbdown:

Yes, that's correct. my friend had the same status pre-interview after being put on hold and received a snail mail rejection letter afterwards.

I also got the "decision made" pre-interview after being put on hold :(

I also got the "decision made" pre-interview after being put on hold :(

oh bummer! i have really similar stats to yours. had the same result from upstate, and got that fast rejection from BU too :).
and by :) i mean :mad:.

Hey for all you guys who got in via phone call, around what time exactly did you receive it? (please just don't say morning)

where does it say the decision made? mine still doesnt say anything, i was on pre-int hold also.

it says it on the status page where it used to say "complete"
my "complete" disappeared when i went on hold, then it changed from blank to "decision made"

Hey for all you guys who got in via phone call, around what time exactly did you receive it? (please just don't say morning)

Yeah, definitely morning. 9 am, i think?

oh bummer! i have really similar stats to yours. had the same result from upstate, and got that fast rejection from BU too :).
and by :) i mean :mad:.

yeah I hear you :mad:

oh well.. crossing my fingers for some other schools who have not yet rejected me lol

Oh, the frustration! After hearing nothing again this week, I called and got a different admissions person, who wasn't very helpful. She merely looked at my "status" page (the same one I can access from home), which says "Selected for an Interview". Great! I interviewed 6 weeks ago... Do I get to go back for another one? </sarcasm>

The one guy had previously told me I would *certainly* be reviewed on the 10th or the 17th, and yet, I have heard nothing, and when I called this time, she had absolutely no idea where I stand (I believe at one point she said "well the committee could have reviewed you already, or they might not have. I don't know" - so helpful!).

Anyway, I'm frustrated, and getting increasingly discouraged. Did anyone who got an offer of admission have to wait longer than 3-4 weeks to hear? Did those who got rejected find out later? I don't want to do this whole process a THIRD time (but I will)!

Status
Not open for further replies.