2009-2010 Dartmouth Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, go and download a PDF of your secondary app. On the two questions that I typed the answers to, they somehow deleted apostrophes whenever I used them. Did your guys' apostrophes in your responses get deleted as well?

Did you write it using MS Word?

Members don't see this ad.

My LORs are already recieved by amcas. Even if they werent id have submitted today. I wrote these prompts like 1 month ago. Everything was basically set up today. But you are right, you cant be complete until they have your LORs but if you are done why not submit now? :shrug:
I'm holding off to get a better idea of what I'm going to do for the next year.

Mine's also about 3/4 single spaced.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe it would be better if you first transfer it onto Notepad rather than directly copying and pasting from MS Word...

I dunno where I got that but I think I read it somewhere when I was doing my AMCAS...

Maybe it would be better if you first transfer it onto Notepad rather than directly copying and pasting from MS Word...

I dunno where I got that but I think I read it somewhere when I was doing my AMCAS...

Whatever. It's probably not a big deal. I already submitted so whatever.

If I wrote about a personal quality/skill that I deem to be a strength, something that makes me apt for medicine, would that be a bad approach to take? It's not really a quality that makes me "interesting" or "unique" or anything, but just a quality that is kind of reflected in my ECs and a quality that I WANTED to highlight in my PS, but didn't really get a chance to (for the sake of keeping my PS focused). Nevertheless, I think it's a good reason why I would make a decent doctor. So is that alright? Or are people talking about their summer plans and whatnot, because I can totally do that too lol

If I wrote about a personal quality/skill that I deem to be a strength, something that makes me apt for medicine, would that be a bad approach to take? It's not really a quality that makes me "interesting" or "unique" or anything, but just a quality that is kind of reflected in my ECs and a quality that I WANTED to highlight in my PS, but didn't really get a chance to (for the sake of keeping my PS focused). Nevertheless, I think it's a good reason why I would make a decent doctor. So is that alright? Or are people talking about their summer plans and whatnot, because I can totally do that too lol

I went a somewhat similar route. I think its fine. Honestly theres no right way to write any of these things and you never know what an adcom will like or find good. Something you think is awesome may seem boring and overdone to them. Where as an experience like the one you listed may come across as genuine an interesting. Id do it if i were you.

I think that sounds good. I'm going to focus on expanding on an experience I listed on AMCAS as well, since I didn't have much room to write about it on the primary.

...But, if I manage to get some shadowing lined up, I might include that. I think I'm going to hold off for a week or two to submit, at least until July 1. I don't think it will make a difference in the long run. It's still crazy early in the season!

You can always talk about an experience/qualities/etc in the secondary and send an update letter later. *Speaking of update letters, when is considered "too soon" to send them? Is September too early to send an update letter talking about what you did over the summer?

Good luck everyone :)

In the future you can turn off Word's smart formatting feature.

I mean, I reviewed and carefully went over my responses after I copy and pasted. It was all correct on their site. And then I submit and download the PDF, and 2 apostrophes that I used are gone.

Like I said, probably not a big deal.

I mean, I reviewed and carefully went over my responses after I copy and pasted. It was all correct on their site. And then I submit and download the PDF, and 2 apostrophes that I used are gone.

Like I said, probably not a big deal.
Yeah, it has to do with MS Word curving apostrophe's and quotation marks. You can make them regular by turning off that feature, and then they should show up. You're right, it's probably not a big deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I am writing my response to the 2nd prompt, it is becoming more and more like a personal statement. Very much a narrative, explaining why I want to do MD with experiences not on my AMCAS. Would this be okay?

As I am writing my response to the 2nd prompt, it is becoming more and more like a personal statement. Very much a narrative, explaining why I want to do MD with experiences not on my AMCAS. Would this be okay?

I think it would be okay. I mean, the prompt is an open-ended question so you can basically write about anything you want.

I am a little confused about this one too. Does it need to be well constructed like a personal statement or do we just kinda put together a couple of paragraphs and stitch them together. I was thinking of writing about myself as a person but it sounds a bit boring. How interesting or well written do these essays need to be in general?

I am a little confused about this one too. Does it need to be well constructed like a personal statement or do we just kinda put together a couple of paragraphs and stitch them together. I was thinking of writing about myself as a person but it sounds a bit boring. How interesting or well written do these essays need to be in general?

It probably doesn't need to be as polished as your PS, but it should be decent, I think. I mean don't just throw in random ideas and make it sound like you didn't give a crap.

secondaries have a shorter turn around time so they do not need to be perfect like the PS but that being said they are very important. Just make sure it flows well, you say what you want to while being concise, and do not have any glaring grammar errors and you should be fine. Theres no set way for any of these. If it shows you put no time or effort into the prompts, gl getting rejected. If it shows otherwise then all you can do is hope they like it.

Yeah, it has to do with MS Word curving apostrophe's and quotation marks. You can make them regular by turning off that feature, and then they should show up. You're right, it's probably not a big deal.
how do i do that...the quotation marks arent a big deal but i wrote 9/2005 - 3/2007...and it looked fine when i submitted...for some reason afterwards it shows as 9/2005 3/2007 (with 3 spaces in between, it looks worse on the pdf file then on sdn)....thats pretty glaring hopefully it doesnt screw me lol.

dashes showed for mine, just the 2 damn apostrophes are gone.

dashes showed for mine, just the 2 damn apostrophes are gone.
damn i wish mine was like that...o well if they dont like it or w/e i never really had a good shot at dartmouth anyways. If they even interviewed me w/o that lil typo in the pdf id be shocked.

If I assigned my letters to Dartmouth on my AMCAS already, does that mean it's "sent" and that I don't have to do anything else? It feels like I have to do something extra. Like click on a "send" button or something. :confused:

If I assigned my letters to Dartmouth on my AMCAS already, does that mean it's "sent" and that I don't have to do anything else? It feels like I have to do something extra. Like click on a "send" button or something. :confused:

don't you have to recertify and resubmit your amcas?

i dont get it. please explain? why would you have to recertify and resubmit?

you just assign the letter and then click submit in the main menu. Read the AMCAS manual.

don't you have to recertify and resubmit your amcas?
No I don't think so. You do not have to recertify/resubmit, if you have already added the medical school and indicated which letters you would like to designate to that school, prior to submission/verification of your primary by AMCAS. Right?

The manual said to resubmit/recertify only if after submission/verification you add a school and/or designate letter(s) to your specific schools.

so both of the essay questions for this prompt come up almost identically in some of my other secondaries (from last year)...so I used the same exact things that I will be using there. However, one guy above said his was 3/4 of a page long, and these are like maximum 500 characters or whatever. Is it okay that mine is short? They were sincere and informative, but I kind of assumed that I could divulge more during the interview :confused:

so both of the essay questions for this prompt come up almost identically in some of my other secondaries (from last year)...so I used the same exact things that I will be using there. However, one guy above said his was 3/4 of a page long, and these are like maximum 500 characters or whatever. Is it okay that mine is short? They were sincere and informative, but I kind of assumed that I could divulge more during the interview :confused:
for the 100 time length means NOTHING. Its all about how well you write and about content not length. If you have 1 pg of pure BS that is going to be useless. If you have one great paragraph then awesome. Serious length means nothing. If anything you can look to what lizzy says all the time. concise is the best as adcoms read through hundreds of these things and after awhile they are all the same. So if you are concise its a plus if you think about it that way. Nobody on SDN can ever know what an adcom will like. Even adcoms such as lizzy only know about their school, not others. And what northwestern wants is probably far different then what say creighton is looking for.

Also just another note, RARELY do secondaries really add a whole bunch to an application. They know if they want you based on the primary app often. Obviously a well written secondary can make someone whos borderline get an interview...and a poor one can take some one out of the running. but those are extremes and most people dont write extremely poor or amazing prompts. They have probably seen damn near everythign you will write in the past. Theres only so many ways to say you love people, medicine, science, etc...Be sincere, write clearly and with a purpose and w/e length it comes to be then that is fine.

I don't think length matters too much here, because there are no character limits on these responses.

I don't think length matters too much here, because there are no character limits on these responses.

I have to disagree SLIGHTLY; don't make it too LONG. otherwise, length shouldn't matter.

On another note, I'm pretty envious of people who can say their stuff comfortably in 500 characters. I ALWAYS exceed the limit on essays and have to end up cutting down (which really hurts because I love everything I've written). Do other people experience this? or is it just me?

I have to disagree SLIGHTLY; don't make it too LONG. otherwise, length shouldn't matter.

On another note, I'm pretty envious of people who can say their stuff comfortably in 500 characters. I ALWAYS exceed the limit on essays and have to end up cutting down (which really hurts because I love everything I've written). Do other people experience this? or is it just me?

Yeah, obviously, you don't want to churn out a freaking term paper or something. I mean, make the length resonable.

You sound exactly like me. But, it's better to have a lot to say than not enough.

You sound exactly like me. But, it's better to have a lot to say than not enough.

I got into Dartmouth last year. I wrote two essays, both about 1/2 page long, single spaced. One was about what I did since graduation. The other focused on my research interests. I did not talk about my research interests in my PS, so this worked very well for me.

I think we should go with saying as much as needed, avoid unnecessary stuff. Mine's 693 words at the moment about 4000 characters with spaces. Would I write it shorter if I could? Yes. but I used examples to display the characteristics I want to them to know about me rather than to say it. And for writing, show > tell, and show needs usually more words than tell.

P.S. I wrote about an ex-curricular. AKA. dancing =D we'll see how that flows. i'm not expert

I just wrote what I thought was enough. If you start to sound repetitive, than you should probably stop.

Whoa. So... I'm filling out my app... and my UCLA credits for chem converted to "semester hours" does not fulfill the 8 sem hour minimum. It only totals to 7.4 (each for general and ochem) Anyone having this problem, because I know for a fact that I took all the classes for the 2-year chem requirement?

Or.... did you guys include biochemistry in your General Chem credits??

I got into Dartmouth last year. I wrote two essays, both about 1/2 page long, single spaced. One was about what I did since graduation. The other focused on my research interests. I did not talk about my research interests in my PS, so this worked very well for me.

Thanks for that information.

how do i do that...the quotation marks arent a big deal but i wrote 9/2005 - 3/2007...and it looked fine when i submitted...for some reason afterwards it shows as 9/2005 3/2007 (with 3 spaces in between, it looks worse on the pdf file then on sdn)....thats pretty glaring hopefully it doesnt screw me lol.

For my version of Word:

Tools (next to File/Edit/Insert/etc)-->AutoCorrect Options...--> Look for tabs that say: AutoFormat/AutoFormat as you type

How long after assigning letters on AMCAS does it take for schools to get them? Otherwise, when can we expect to be complete?

How long after assigning letters on AMCAS does it take for schools to get them? Otherwise, when can we expect to be complete?

Most schools have an automated system that syncs up their records with the AMCAS. It depends on how often this update happens. I know Harvard did it roughly twice a week. Yale almost every day. I remember DMS took about a week to be complete in my case.

Most schools have an automated system that syncs up their records with the AMCAS. It depends on how often this update happens. I know Harvard did it roughly twice a week. Yale almost every day. I remember DMS took about a week to be complete in my case.

Yesterday I changed my AMCAS contact email from my @university.edu account to an @gmail.com account (because I'm going to lose my @university.edu account when I graduate in June 2010 and might still be on waitlists then). Does this mean that I could still be receiving emails at my university account for a while? At least until all the schools have synced with AMCAS? how does this work...

Yesterday I changed my AMCAS contact email from my @university.edu account to an @gmail.com account (because I'm going to lose my @university.edu account when I graduate in June 2010 and might still be on waitlists then). Does this mean that I could still be receiving emails at my university account for a while? At least until all the schools have synced with AMCAS? how does this work...

Yes, that's exactly what it means. Make sure that you use your new address on secondaries, because those typically do not get updated once submitted.

No I don't think so. You do not have to recertify/resubmit, if you have already added the medical school and indicated which letters you would like to designate to that school, prior to submission/verification of your primary by AMCAS. Right?

The manual said to resubmit/recertify only if after submission/verification you add a school and/or designate letter(s) to your specific schools.

There are 2 possibilities:

1. You assigned your LOR before you submitted. In that case you don't have to do anything else.

2. You submitted and are verified, but you haven't assigned LOR yet. No problem, assign them now and click submit again.

There are 2 possibilities:

1. You assigned your LOR before you submitted. In that case you don't have to do anything else.

2. You submitted and are verified, but you haven't assigned LOR yet. No problem, assign them now and click submit again.

Ah much clearer than my post tried to explain this. I am scenario 1, so I don't have to do anything else and my schools should get the LORs and be able to download them, without me having to do anything when I complete their secondaries right? YAY!

So, I received a brochure and signed letter from admissions at Dartmouth, but I haven't even thought about applying there because my stats are way too low. Is this just something they sent to everyone that released their MCAT scores?

So, I received a brochure and signed letter from admissions at Dartmouth, but I haven't even thought about applying there because my stats are way too low. Is this just something they sent to everyone that released their MCAT scores?
I got that too...you got it because you are black. Basically anyone whos disadvantaged/URM gets that packet. I wouldnt look too much into like they are recruiting you. I think they are just trying to maybe get more minority/poor people to apply there. If you look at the MSAR they had exactly one black student and like 6 mexican/latin students matriculate...not exactly the pinnacle of diversity, im thinking thats a possible reason why we got these letters?:shrug:

I got that too...you got it because you are black. Basically anyone whos disadvantaged/URM gets that packet. I wouldnt look too much into like they are recruiting you. I think they are just trying to maybe get more minority/poor people to apply there.

Psychic?

Status
Not open for further replies.