2009-2010 Mount Sinai Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two trips to New York. Whew.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Blue.

No love from this dream school yet. Sigh...

Looks like they are not following any particular order in terms of completion date and not too many invites have gone out yet. So don't lose hope. Sinai is one of my top choices tho I'd be happy to go anywhere on my list.

Keeping fingers crossed for now!:xf:

I can't believe how unbelieveably good their hospital, Sinai Hospital, really is. Pretty much tops in almost every field.

So anyone have some data on how many appy, get interviewed, and accepted?

Well, it seems almost 50% of those interviewed, at least for OOS, are accepted. Pretty good odds to me.:thumbup:

Just curious, is MSSM a religiously affiliated institution?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know MSSM is affiliated with NYU, but am I correct in assuming that there's no chance the same people could be on both admissions committees? I ask because my "why our school?" essays are kind of fill-in-the-blank, talk about my goals and how ____ program would be perfect for me because ____ and I'm really excited about the prospect of working with ____, etc. They all sound more or less the same with some details shuffled a bit.

Or am I just being paranoid?

No, NYU School of Medicine and MSSM are completely separate. Other than the NYU name that's attached to MSSM, I heard it's two completey separate institutions.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks for easing my mind.

I like your MDApps explanation of your selection process for schools - whether someone else agrees with your choices, it is very instructive for people trying to figure out where to apply. Well done!
Thanks. After a few questions of "Why didn't you apply to XYZ school?", I figured I should post my thought process. Shemarty and ButImLETired both showed how useful MDApplicants can be as a resource to future applicants, so I figured I'd try to give viewers as good a picture as I can about why I did certain things and why schools will react whatever way they do.

Just got an interview invite! Yay! Good luck to everyone!

I am here to answer any questions you may have about my school. It is exam week however so I won't be here super often.

The "humeds" won't be directly competiting with you.

We do have one or two international students each year.

man.. i really wanna interview here.. invites suddenly stopped coming in for like 3 weeks

I am here to answer any questions you may have about my school. It is exam week however so I won't be here super often.

How come? Don't humeds take up seats away from us general applicants?

Also I heard you guys have like take-home exams, is that true?

Interview invite today, and on the night before my first interview! Bit of a confidence boost :).

Here's a few a questions if you have the time:

(1) What's the housing situation like? Do people stay in Aron Hall all 4 years?
(2) Hours in class? Free time? Competitive?
(3) Research opportunities, how easy is it to take advantage of?

Just added the school. Late - rather, SDN late - but here's hoping.

Also, how's the hospital? I know it's one of the best in the nation.

And do students do well on the boards/ get into top residencies?

Here's a few a questions if you have the time:

(1) What's the housing situation like? Do people stay in Aron Hall all 4 years?
(2) Hours in class? Free time? Competitive?
(3) Research opportunities, how easy is it to take advantage of?

1. aron hall all 4 years unless you get married
2. a lot of classes, few free time, non-competitive
3. very obtainable research opportunities.

sooo for the academic gap question,

if i graduated this past june, turned in my AMCAs in july and started working in august, do i put yes or no? the work that i've been doing for the past month and a half is not on my primary because i hadn't started yet...but i'm also confused about what a "gap" is.

I think "gap" means you are not a "traditional" applicant applying while still in undergrad. I think you should explain what u r doing just to cover ur bases.

I think "gap" means you are not a "traditional" applicant applying while still in undergrad. I think you should explain what u r doing just to cover ur bases.

I graduated in '08. It's covered many places on my application what I've been doing since I graduated. I didn't consider it a gap.

Rather, I think a gap would be if you took a semester off because your mom died, or went to college for a year, dropped out, and then came back two years later more prepared for what you were getting into.

can someone post the link to check status, I can't find it anywhere

I don't think you can check your status online. Right?

Right. You need to call them on M or W between 2 and 4 pm to check your status. Have your AMCAS ID number with you when you call.

Looks like this school is quite a bit cheaper than most private schools. Estimated total cost of attendance is a little over 50 grand...extremely reasonable. I sure wish Mount Sinai would invite me for an interview :(

Looks like this school is quite a bit cheaper than most private schools. Estimated total cost of attendance is a little over 50 grand...extremely reasonable. I sure wish Mount Sinai would invite me for an interview :(

Yeah, I couldn't believe how affordable it is.

Also I heard you guys have like take-home exams, is that true?

hi guys,
yes the majority of the exams are take home (which means you take them on the weekends) and all are online. there's no problem if you have a mac/windows or anything.

i don't know if there's an official affliation, but we get all Jewish holidays off and/or extensions for the major Jewish holidays. Back in the early 20th century sinai was the second Jewish hospital in the US.

students generally do above average on the boards. :)
:luck:

ps try more like ~$60,000, but the aid package is very generous. you don't need to take all that out

Last edited:
hi guys,
yes the majority of the exams are take home (which means you take them on the weekends) and all are online. there's no problem if you have a mac/windows or anything.

i don't know if there's an official affliation, but we get all Jewish holidays off and/or extensions for the major Jewish holidays. Back in the early 20th century sinai was the second Jewish hospital in the US.

students generally do above average on the boards. :)
:luck:

ps try more like ~$60,000, but the aid package is very generous. you don't need to take all that out

Thanks muireinin! Omg, I'm officially in love with this school.:love:

Hey, could somebody tell me if this is normal:

So I submitted my secondary on 8/24 and I've been calling them since then to check the status of my application.

Last Monday, they told me that my LOR's haven't been printed yet and that the next time I call I would be complete.

Last Wednesday, they told me that my supplemental hasn't been printed yet and that the next time I call I would be complete.

Today, they told me that my LOR's haven't been "loaded" yet and that they have no idea why. Also told me to call them back next WEEK(not even Wednesday!).

So what the heck is going on? Does this happen to everyone?

Hey, could somebody tell me if this is normal:

So I submitted my secondary on 8/24 and I've been calling them since then to check the status of my application.

Last Monday, they told me that my LOR's haven't been printed yet and that the next time I call I would be complete.

Last Wednesday, they told me that my supplemental hasn't been printed yet and that the next time I call I would be complete.

Today, they told me that my LOR's haven't been "loaded" yet and that they have no idea why. Also told me to call them back next WEEK(not even Wednesday!).

So what the heck is going on? Does this happen to everyone?

Hmmm, it seems kind of weird. Maybe wait a few days more and call back again? Maybe they are sorting through lots of applications right now so things might be hectic.

MSSM is a lil slower in their turnaround time, I was interviewed in Jan.

Also, if you come here, be prepared to attend lecture from 9 to 4pm and review sessions after. Teaching here is excellent and you may find yourself unable to escape the pull of lecture. You won't prepare for the board better by studying yourself.

Also, if you come here, be prepared to attend lecture from 9 to 4pm and review sessions after. Teaching here is excellent and you may find yourself unable to escape the pull of lecture. You won't prepare for the board better by studying yourself.

Their teaching was one of the main factors that attracted me to the school.

For others, I have been complete for a long time now and it did take a while for them to 'complete' my file, so just wait a little longer.

That's a long day. But it must be super good in making the students learn the material. Mount Sinai is such a good school.:thumbup:

9-4 is a bit misleading.
if you go to morning lectures and afternoon lab, you'll be here 9-4 tuesdays or thursdays depending on the gross lab schedule
M and F are mostly morning classes only.
W tends to be some morning class and afternoon clinic

after anatomy, your schedule gets lighter. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.