2009-2010 Southern Illinois University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have an example of the budget form that I could take a look at?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question...I've been looking at apartments and noticed that most of them are not furnished. How are you going to get furniture? Did you rent or buy? How expensive was it? Any help would be great.

Question...I've been looking at apartments and noticed that most of them are not furnished. How are you going to get furniture? Did you rent or buy? How expensive was it? Any help would be great.
I've found that if you tell family and friends that you're looking for furniture, many have this or that laying around. I'm buying a sofa and chair off my cousin and borrowing some things from my mom that she isn't using. I'll probably hit up walmart for a dresser and desk. And I'm gonna buy a bed.

You might as well go ahead and buy your own furniture. It doesn't have to be the best stuff in the world but i'm pretty sure apartments in springfield usually aren't furnished either and when you move on to the real world you'll need at least some starter furniture too.

time to start garage sale-ing...

Most apartments are not furnished in Carbondale and in Springfield. Before moving to C-dale, I was lucky to get some things from family members who were upgrading their stuff and wanted to get rid of their old stuff. I was able to get bar stools, plates and bowels, glasses, silverware and a few pots and pans this way. I already had a queen sized mattress and a desk prior to coming to med school, but those are things you are going to need as well. I was able to get my parent's old kitchen table and chairs since they were redoing their kitchen. I bought a couch from Ashley furniture in C-dale. Other smaller things like a coffee table and side tables I got from IKEA. I also bought a pretty cheap dresser from Target, but it was a pain to put together. I bought a tv stand and bookcase from a friend who was moving to NY and didn't want to take it with him. I got a lot of the little things once I moved to C-dale from WalMart or Hobby Lobby.

It funny because most people buy a lot of stuff moving to C-dale, then meet people and want to live together in Springfield, then you realize you have 2 or 3 of a lot of things (kitchen tables, sofas, etc).

Thanks everybody. I'm going to be looking at garage sales for the next few months!

have you guys heard of any movement yet? or do you know of people who are giving up their spots?

nope, does anyone know how many students sit in each quarter? or how many are on the awpa?

have you guys heard of any movement yet? or do you know of people who are giving up their spots?

Still sitting in the top quarter. Don't sweat it though....May 15th is when the decision deadline is so movement is coming in the next few weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got in off the wait list, top quartile!

I'm excited but now I have to make a tough decision between SIU and U of I. Both fantastic schools, I'd be happy either place. Decisions, decisions...

I'm excited but now I have to make a tough decision between SIU and U of I. Both fantastic schools, I'd be happy either place. Decisions, decisions...

Please, please let me know what you decide between the two. me likey the half price of siu, i think?

did you get the chicago campus?

accepted today! finally after 8 months...see you fools in august!

Hey Guys,

I'm a fourth year about to graduate in about 3 weeks :)woot::banana:) I felt the need to go back and see if these threads were still going for the SIU incoming class since it I CLEARLY remember being in your guys shoes what feels like not even a year ago. Anyway a HUGE congrats to you guys that got in. Enjoy Cdale, your absolutely going to love it. Your first year is going to make or break the class bond so live it up and enjoy it. You guys will be surprised how much this actually matters your third year when you wanna vent while your stuck in the hospital with your other classmates. I'm telling you though, I loved SIU and you guys are gonna be in good hands. I had my pick among SIU and 5 other med schools and I've had no regrets picking SIU. Like everything else their are things that could be better but I think the benefits far outweight the deficits. In the end I got to where I wanna go. It took some hard work but I'll be honest, med school in general just wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be. Don't get me wrong, it's still tough, but you learn it all day so you'll be surprised how much you pick up with out even trying to study sometimes. If any of you guys have any questions (goes for 2nd years too moving to Springfield still hanging out on this thread) don't hesitate to send me a PM.

As far as the longitudinal exam goes....:rolleyes:thing is a huge joke so don't worry. It's meant to track progress throughout medschool so you are expected to bomb it the first time and even the second time. They just want to see improvement overall by the 4th year so it actually benefits you to bomb it this time:laugh: All in all, their is no pass % that I'm aware of and have never heard of anyone getting in trouble because they didn't do well enough on this thing. By the time 4th year comes along, its a piece of cake and really makes you realize just how much you've learned. This is coming from a kid who his first day didn't know what hypertension was (apparently that's high blood pressure:laugh:)

Again congrats guys and don't hesitate if you got questions.

BTW Long time no talk to Caesar! Hope all is well;)

:love: I love when people post encouraging things that aren't like "you're screwed! have fun!" haha

nope not how we role here! You'll have a couple of those kids in the class, and they'll learn to quit being pretentious and cocky quick because people won't tolerate it. That's one of the things I really like about the school is it pushes you to do well but not at the expense of your classmates (ie very little interclass competition) Everyone has the ability to pass every test (>70%) which is very doable. When the avg falls below only then does it go to a curve.

Edit: I feel the need to post my hard 4th year work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_bqAq6GVWQ

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I'm a fourth year about to graduate in about 3 weeks :)woot::banana:) I felt the need to go back and see if these threads were still going for the SIU incoming class since it I CLEARLY remember being in your guys shoes what feels like not even a year ago. Anyway a HUGE congrats to you guys that got in. Enjoy Cdale, your absolutely going to love it. Your first year is going to make or break the class bond so live it up and enjoy it. You guys will be surprised how much this actually matters your third year when you wanna vent while your stuck in the hospital with your other classmates. I'm telling you though, I loved SIU and you guys are gonna be in good hands. I had my pick among SIU and 5 other med schools and I've had no regrets picking SIU. Like everything else their are things that could be better but I think the benefits far outweight the deficits. In the end I got to where I wanna go. It took some hard work but I'll be honest, med school in general just wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be. Don't get me wrong, it's still tough, but you learn it all day so you'll be surprised how much you pick up with out even trying to study sometimes. If any of you guys have any questions (goes for 2nd years too moving to Springfield still hanging out on this thread) don't hesitate to send me a PM.

As far as the longitudinal exam goes....:rolleyes:thing is a huge joke so don't worry. It's meant to track progress throughout medschool so you are expected to bomb it the first time and even the second time. They just want to see improvement overall by the 4th year so it actually benefits you to bomb it this time:laugh: All in all, their is no pass % that I'm aware of and have never heard of anyone getting in trouble because they didn't do well enough on this thing. By the time 4th year comes along, its a piece of cake and really makes you realize just how much you've learned. This is coming from a kid who his first day didn't know what hypertension was (apparently that's high blood pressure:laugh:)

Again congrats guys and don't hesitate if you got questions.

BTW Long time no talk to Caesar! Hope all is well;)
It has been awhile. I thought of you the other day when someone asked about the match list.

Congrats Felipe, track down le facebook group and meet JM, Red and I, and a couple others who lurk about in here.

anyone know about how far through the 1st quarter they are?

jkkj - No, I'm in Urbana for the first year.

Thanks for the congrats guys! I think I'm leaning U of I. It was tough, made difficult by the tuition and the fact that several good friends are going to Southern. In the end, both are fantastic schools that will give fantastic educations, and I just went with my gut feel on interview day - I liked U of I a lot, even more than some 'prestigious' places.

Thanks for the support. I'll probably withdraw soon (after talking to one last person) so I hope my spot goes to an SDNer.

Last edited:
Withdrew today... Good luck to everyone still making choices!

no, but around the 15th I would send EW an email and ask. :)

do you think email or call? i am so antsy because the ppl i know got a much more definitive answer (either first quarter or last quarter). im in second quarter and got the maybe, maybe not- at this point, I just want some idea of where ill be next year.

do you think email or call? i am so antsy because the ppl i know got a much more definitive answer (either first quarter or last quarter). im in second quarter and got the maybe, maybe not- at this point, I just want some idea of where ill be next year.
either or. I have always talked to him via email.

Just withdrew my acceptance from here. Good luck to all you that are still on the AWPA list.

Hey Guys

I've been a keen observer on this forum for long. I finally got accepted off the wait list yesterday after a 2.5 month wait. It's been an exciting fortnight-got accepted off 4 wait list.

It's a no-brainer. SIU is where I'm headed. Excited!!!!!!

Look out for the kid with the foreign Nigerian accent!

Hey Guys

I've been a keen observer on this forum for long. I finally got accepted off the wait list yesterday after a 2.5 month wait. It's been an exciting fortnight-got accepted off 4 wait list.

It's a no-brainer. SIU is where I'm headed. Excited!!!!!!

Look out for the kid with the foreign Nigerian accent!

congrats! what quarter were you in?

Hey folks,

Got in today and I'm going! Phew...

I was in the top quarter so its still there.

Alright guys after one of the most agonizing decisions of my life.... go SIU!! Who's pumped for june 18th?!

Alright guys after one of the most agonizing decisions of my life.... go SIU!! Who's pumped for june 18th?!

Congrats on pulling the trigger! I'm sure you'd be happy either place, but at least at SIU you'll have no worries about getting shot (assuming you were on chicago track). hahaha Plus your bank account will thank you too.

Congrats on pulling the trigger! I'm sure you'd be happy either place, but at least at SIU you'll have no worries about getting shot (assuming you were on chicago track). hahaha Plus your bank account will thank you too.
Yes. PS. People looking for the FB group, since FB feels the need to change **** around every week it seems I have no idea how to link you to it.

If you want to join search for "SIU School of Medicine Class of 2014" which is the group I created, and I just have to approve your request. Also there is a group that the assistant dean created that you need your SIU email to access and she will give you info about that group. If you have troubles joining the one I made (with the picture) then send me a PM with whatever email you use to log into facebook and I will send you an invite that way. It shouldn't be this hard, but you all know how faebook can be...

Hi everyone, I just got my e-mail acceptance today, and I was in the 2nd quarter!

Hi everyone, I just got my e-mail acceptance today, and I was in the 2nd quarter!

congrats! that's great news that the list is moving into the 2nd quarter. maybe there's hope for me?!!

woo hoo I got my Littman Cardio III today for graduation! i feel so legit now.
My bf's parents gave it to me and they said they got me the shorter length because you can hear better and it's harder for patients in the ER to choke you with your own steth when it's shorter. haha:thumbup:

woo hoo I got my Littman Cardio III today for graduation! i feel so legit now.
My bf's parents gave it to me and they said they got me the shorter length because you can hear better and it's harder for patients in the ER to choke you with your own steth when it's shorter. haha:thumbup:
:)

I got mine for graduation too, only now my family expects me to know what I am looking for with it? Like just opening the box gave me doctoring abilities... I DO know how to do the high/low thing but that is only because every doc I shadow has one.

:)

I got mine for graduation too, only now my family expects me to know what I am looking for with it? Like just opening the box gave me doctoring abilities... I DO know how to do the high/low thing but that is only because every doc I shadow has one.

hahah yea. I took mine out of the box and jokingly put it against my dad's chest and he goes "wrong side genius". I wasn't actually trying... hahaha my mom tried to get me to listen for lung sounds and I'm like "hmmm yes I think you have lungs...maybe..not really sure tho." haha

PS. now that I have officially graduate from undergrad I changed my Status to Medical Student. I feel like one of the cool kids on SDN now. haha

Last edited:
have you guys heard of any movement lately?

My fiancee got in today; she was in the second quarter - she's going!

Status
Not open for further replies.