2009-2010 Southern Illinois University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow this has been silent lately. hopefully there has been some movement and the ppl just arent on SDN:D

Members don't see this ad.

there has been. I know of a couple people who got in from the 2nd quarter. Haven't heard anything about the third. As of today there are about 40 people in the groups so still probably some open spots as people get off other waitlists.

there has been. I know of a couple people who got in from the 2nd quarter. Haven't heard anything about the third. As of today there are about 40 people in the groups so still probably some open spots as people get off other waitlists.

thats good to hear. i know there not in the third yet because im still hanging around in the second. if i recall correctly they expect the movement to slow down towards the end of the first week of june.

Members don't see this ad :)
thats good to hear. i know there not in the third yet because im still hanging around in the second. if i recall correctly they expect the movement to slow down towards the end of the first week of june.

Same, still in the 2nd quarter. When I emailed EW a week and a half ago, he said he expected more movement over the next few weeks at the time. I'm praying for us Turk.

So i have a question about the curriculum for anyone that knows. Is our first year similar to everyone else's first year because I am looking at a calendar I downloaded from this thread awhile back and it says we are doing cardiovascular or something right off the bat while I know a few kids at other medical schools are starting with biochem microbiology etc. I love the idea of PBL I'm just unclear about the material and how it will be covered. Along with this, do we take these NBME test or whatever I have been hearing about? And we only get 2 weeks off to study for the boards right?

Good look to everyone still waiting the list is moving a lot more than I thought it would!

and has anyone heard how only having 2-3 weeks for the Step 1 has worked out with students? Other schools usually give their students 4 to 8 weeks to complete the test.

I think they get longer than 2 weeks. I'll ask next time my friend is on (she's studying for it right now).

As for the curriculum: It is system based. You do all the biochem,micro, etc of Cardio/Resp/Renal first and through the cases (ex. is something like the Krebs cycle since the heart needs energy to contract). The Anatomy and Histo are similar to all other med schools though.

has anyone talked to EW recently about the AWPA list? I know they said to check back around the first week of June when I called last time

has anyone talked to EW recently about the AWPA list? I know they said to check back around the first week of June when I called last time

yeah i talked to him yesterday and he said that it's still in the 2nd quarter, obviously. but he said that if history were to tell us anything, the list will continue to move even though things have slowed down a lot since the May 15th deadline. give him a call and let me know what he tells you.

Last edited:
got my acceptance this morning! :) the list is still moving, so turk and everyone still waiting, keep your hopes up!

Congrats! Join the fb group! Are you going to make it down in a couple weeks? If you have questions the staff at the school are awesome about answering everything but if you want you can email me at [email protected] if you need help with anything. Email works best for me until tues when I have Internet again. Cheers and keep your hopes up Turk.

congrats on the acceptance! its nice to no the list is moving... hopefully it will continue to do so

Members don't see this ad :)
You get 6 weeks off between years 2 and 3. This allows time to study for and take step 1, plus any vacation you want to take. How many of the 6 weeks you choose to use to study is up to you. Step 1 must be taken before you start 3rd year.

Ceasar is correct, the curriculum is systems-based. The first unit (CRR--cardiac, respiratory, renal) will cover all of the anatomy, histology, biochemistry, physiology, etc related to each of those organ systems in with an integrated approach. You will have an electronic case where you take an H&P on a patient, and will come up with learning issues related to the case that will better help your understanding of what's going on. There will be a few supplementary lectures to better deliniate the material you need to be mastering for that week's case in each subject area. This includes anatomy and histology. Here's an example. Say the electronic patient has asthma. You'd be studying the anatomy of the bronchial tree (including any related dissection), the physiology of gas exchange and what drives respiration, the biochemistry of blood pH, the histology of the types of lung cells (including histo lab), learn how to do a thorough respiratory exam in doctoring, etc. During tutor group sessions, you'll discuss these learning issues individually, and discuss how the individual subject matters interrelate. This is a HUGE benefit of going to SIU. It really helps for boards and year 3. If you have more questions, let me know.

Microbiology is taught in 2nd year during HII--hematology, immunology, and infection. Unless they've changed the curriculum.

SIU does not use the NBME tests during the first 2 years. They use them as the shelf exams at the end of clerkships in year 3. During 1st year there is a midunit and an end of unit exam. The faculty write their own questions, and the exam is cumulative for the unit and integrates all subjects. There is also a standardized patient component of all exams in all years.

thanks for the response faw that helps a lot!! Do you have any suggestions on any books for step 1 i should buy to review with year 1 material?

You get 6 weeks off between years 2 and 3. This allows time to study for and take step 1, plus any vacation you want to take. How many of the 6 weeks you choose to use to study is up to you. Step 1 must be taken before you start 3rd year.

Ceasar is correct, the curriculum is systems-based. The first unit (CRR--cardiac, respiratory, renal) will cover all of the anatomy, histology, biochemistry, physiology, etc related to each of those organ systems in with an integrated approach. You will have an electronic case where you take an H&P on a patient, and will come up with learning issues related to the case that will better help your understanding of what's going on. There will be a few supplementary lectures to better deliniate the material you need to be mastering for that week's case in each subject area. This includes anatomy and histology. Here's an example. Say the electronic patient has asthma. You'd be studying the anatomy of the bronchial tree (including any related dissection), the physiology of gas exchange and what drives respiration, the biochemistry of blood pH, the histology of the types of lung cells (including histo lab), learn how to do a thorough respiratory exam in doctoring, etc. During tutor group sessions, you'll discuss these learning issues individually, and discuss how the individual subject matters interrelate. This is a HUGE benefit of going to SIU. It really helps for boards and year 3. If you have more questions, let me know.

Microbiology is taught in 2nd year during HII--hematology, immunology, and infection. Unless they've changed the curriculum.

SIU does not use the NBME tests during the first 2 years. They use them as the shelf exams at the end of clerkships in year 3. During 1st year there is a midunit and an end of unit exam. The faculty write their own questions, and the exam is cumulative for the unit and integrates all subjects. There is also a standardized patient component of all exams in all years.
Great post. Thanks!

thanks for the response faw that helps a lot!! Do you have any suggestions on any books for step 1 i should buy to review with year 1 material?
You will be getting a letter in the mail that says not to buy anything yet but there is a booklist online. Siumed.edu/yoc I think. Also BRS physio I'm told is helpful. You going to make it to pre-orientation in 2 weeks?

my dad says i got a letter today from siu talking about the white coat ceremony and asking my coat size. The nerd in me is so excited to get that coat!

Congrats! Join the fb group! Are you going to make it down in a couple weeks? If you have questions the staff at the school are awesome about answering everything but if you want you can email me at [email protected] if you need help with anything. Email works best for me until tues when I have Internet again. Cheers and keep your hopes up Turk.

thanks man! i'll be in pittsburgh that weekend, so i won't be able to meet you all until august. did you decide where you're living?

i'll be at pre orientation, all we need to have is our immunization forms and finger printing stuff right? oh and are we supposed to dress a certain way?

i'll be at pre orientation, all we need to have is our immunization forms and finger printing stuff right? oh and are we supposed to dress a certain way?
Haven't heard about dress. Yes on immuno forms. As for bg check you should email Linda because I thought we had to mail those in advance.

I believe fingerprinting stuff didn't need to be mailed in. I could be wrong though.

I believe fingerprinting stuff didn't need to be mailed in. I could be wrong though.

From the letter:
"f you are going to attend the orientation on June 18th, to expedite the fingerprinting process, SIU SOM must have a signed consent form from you and L1 must have your information entered into their system. I have enclosed the consent form from SIU SOM and the information form required by L1: both must be completed and signed and mailed back to us no later than June 1."

maybe this doesn't apply for those that were accepted later, but for most of us we were supposed to mail it back

son of a... i thought i had everything taken care of how did i miss this...better get on this

any idea what we're supposed to wear?
I think I know what I am wearing. Guess we could as linda on the group page?

I planned on wearing a polo and jeans. Someone from our class said that was normal. If you see me on FB, message me and I can tell you a bit more haha. I don't like posting peoples name on here.

Just as a heads up, if any of you cannot make it to the June orientation or a fingerprinting location in Illinois like me, it is a pain trying to get your fingerprints processed by L-1 Enrollment Services.

I live in Maryland right now, but apparently you can only get your fingerprints taken here for local background checks. Fortunately, since I work here, they were able to make an exception.

After I mailed in my fingerprint card to L-1, they weren't able to find it for over a week. Once they figured out what happened to it, they told me that they mailed it back because it was missing some information. Only problem is, the information was on the form that they provided, which I included with my fingerprint card, but they never called to clarify. They also mailed it to my permanent address in Illinois, which is a problem because, like I said, I'm in Maryland.

If you have to call them for whatever reason, make sure to call the local number with the 217 area code. Every time that I call the toll-free number, I have been on hold for up to 30 minutes. Someone answered the 217 number within 90 seconds.

Would we think shorts would be acceptable for tomorrow? I realize casual can be something different to just about everybody.

Would we think shorts would be acceptable for tomorrow? I realize casual can be something different to just about everybody.

It's gonna be hot so I'm wearing shorts. As a girl I'll be showing more leg than you anyway so why not.

It's gonna be hot so I'm wearing shorts. As a girl I'll be showing more leg than you anyway so why not.
False. I am wearing a speedo = more leg. I win.

Kidding, late to the game here but I am wearing jeans and a polo. I wear jeans pretty much year round so I think you'd be fine in shorts (or skirts).

I'll be the one in red, that looks like me.

For the first year, do medical students follow the same calendar as the rest of the SIU campus? I'm trying to figure out when spring break is for the incoming class, so I can make my schedule requests to have off with my wife, and she said it wasn't mentioned yesterday at pre-orientation; any thoughts?

Edit: Nm, found my answer at http://www.siumed.edu/oec/calendars/SIUSOM_4-year_schedule_AY_2010-2011.pdf

How was orientation? Lots of people there? or was there anyone claiming to be holding out for other schools?

How was orientation? Lots of people there? or was there anyone claiming to be holding out for other schools?
It was good. Hot. No one that I heard, maybe Red knows someone, I should have asked her.

I know that there is someone who will be deferring their seat for this year, Hope it comes to you Turk!

It was good. Hot. No one that I heard, maybe Red knows someone, I should have asked her.

I know that there is someone who will be deferring their seat for this year, Hope it comes to you Turk!

I hope it's you too Turk! :xf:

Sorry Turk.... I got accepted to SIU today! Hopefully you will come next! I'm actually from Murphysboro (~10min from Carbondale) so I am stoked to get to stay in the area for another year! Can't wait to meet all of you!

Sorry Turk.... I got accepted to SIU today! Hopefully you will come next! I'm actually from Murphysboro (~10min from Carbondale) so I am stoked to get to stay in the area for another year! Can't wait to meet all of you!
Come join us in the FB groups!
Turk, I don't think that the spot I was talking about opened yet, hopefully not!

I thought I maybe heard one person say they were still on a waitlist somewhere or knew of someone who was? I dunno. For the most part, everyone seemed to be set.

fingers crossed for ya turk

Status
Not open for further replies.