2009-2010 University of Minnesota (Twin Cities) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck to everyone on the waitlist! Is Monday the day it starts moving?

I don't think it will move until after the deadline to turn in the form accepting your position on the alternate list, which is May 21.

Members don't see this ad.

I hear you....$1500 is a lot for one class. I wonder if I can take it at Normandale Community College. Do you think that would work? It would save me so much money!

The U will not consider anything from a community college as upper division, by definition. They will not budge. As a transfer student (who loves Normandale), I have had to face this a bunch as I petitioned for courses to count as equivalent... the U is the behemoth here, and even if a given class is taught better at NCC, it is difficult at best to get the U to recognize it outside of a specific set of "transfer-friendly" courses.

If you have to take one of these, I highly recommend World Population Geography, it was the best class I've had in years as far as interesting food for thought.

Best Wishes.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Funny that somebody that I assume went to York U said that.
Well I think Yorku ranks fairly high in Computer science in Canada especially so for Graduate school. Probably 3rd after UofT and Waterloo.

Well I think Yorku ranks fairly high in Computer science in Canada especially so for Graduate school. Probably 3rd after UofT and Waterloo.

Do they consider Canadians as Internationals or out-of-state?

Did an acceptance cost anyone else summa cum laude honors? I think I've been moved down to magna. Now the real question is should I care? :D

A friend of mine just withdrew his application. He was holding an acceptance. Yay for the waitlisters!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't believe it. The hotline recording says that as of today, #1 is still #1. It's after May 15, though! Wasn't that supposed to be the date after which we see lots of waitlist movement? I really hope this isn't a bad sign.

poni, I wouldn't read too much into that (they also said it was Thur. May 17th haha).. They probably just got the numbers in this morning of how many positions they have available to offer up and are sorting through everything now.. If it still says that by Friday or early next week then it might be a bleak waitlist period at the U.

I got the call today. U of MN was my number one choice and I accepted. I was on the international alternate list. Can't wait to see everyone in August :)

V.F

poni, I wouldn't read too much into that (they also said it was Thur. May 17th haha).. They probably just got the numbers in this morning of how many positions they have available to offer up and are sorting through everything now.. If it still says that by Friday or early next week then it might be a bleak waitlist period at the U.

I agree....haven't we noticed a trend that they don't really do ANYTHING on time? ;)
Hopefully it will be updated by the end of the week.
It is also possible that they wait to hear back from the first round of waitlisters accepted before they will update it.

Good luck!

And congrats to VF!

Would you have taken Pitt over UMN if you were accepted at both?

I was accepted at both, but I am going to UMN. I don't know if I would have made that same choice if my family weren't based here, but I might have. Either way, I'm happy with it.

CONGRATULATIONS by the way!

Grats guys. The international has to be an epecially hard racket with so few being accepted.

I was accepted at both, but I am going to UMN. I don't know if I would have made that same choice if my family weren't based here, but I might have. Either way, I'm happy with it.

CONGRATULATIONS by the way!

I would have chosen Pitt over Minnesota due to reputation (#14 research rank vs. #38) and the Pitt curriculum seemed to suit me better. I was already in at Tufts too. I was strongly leaning towards Tufts over Minn because I have Boston ties and because Tufts had already implemented their curriculum changes last year, whereas Minn is making significant changes this year. But Minn. did seem pretty cool and the Twin Cities are nice.

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

all we need to do for MN financial aid is fill out FAFSA right? there isn't a seperate MN financial aid application?

I wonder if/when they get to my number, will I will find out first via the hotline or a phone call?

It seems that they update the alternate list phone number on thur. I bet you get a call early next week Poni.. GL to both of us

I sure hope you're right...there are only 6 people between me and an acceptance! This is going to be a long week :)

Any more movement on the international waitlist?

well sounds like you will be getting a call in the next couple of days.. Haha probably some sleepless nights to come though

The waitlist is at #24 and I'm NEXT!!

Grats Poni, that sounds like a sure thing. I'll see you this fall. :thumbup:

It's 5am and we're heading the airport to leave Rome. I'm actually looking forward to the better food back in Minnesota! How's that for messed up?

It's 5am and we're heading the airport to leave Rome. I'm actually looking forward to the better food back in Minnesota! How's that for messed up?

You cannot be serious! Minnesota has better food than Rome? I have visited Rome quite a few times, and would never have thought I would hear something like that:eek: Minnesota must have some exquisite culinary culture/assets.:p

Unless you are talking about Rome, GA... haha

Rome, huh? Sounds awesome. Are you coming back to summer classes or were you able to get your humanities requirement waived?

Ok so I just called: I am now #6 on the international waitlist moved from #15!!! they accepted 6 people so far and 3 withdrew 3 holding their spots.
so based on last year there is a chance for me :) 12 accepted last year and 4 matriculated.

Just got the call!!! My first and only acceptance..I'm SO excited!!!!

Just got the call!!! My first and only acceptance..I'm SO excited!!!!

Way to go, PoniNo1! I was rooting for you. You definitely showed strong, continued interest. See you in a few months. :)

Thanks for the congratulations, everyone! It has been a very long and anxiety laden year so I'm just elated that it all turned out to be worth it :)

You cannot be serious! Minnesota has better food than Rome? I have visited Rome quite a few times, and would never have thought I would hear something like that:eek: Minnesota must have some exquisite culinary culture/assets.:p

Unless you are talking about Rome, GA... haha

No, it was the SPQR variety. We tried a new place each day, ranging from $100 to $200 per one or two course meal with 2 adults, 2 small kids. We tried some in tourist areas, some in more neighborhood oriented areas and the food was all marginal. It was a big let down as we had been looking forward to how great the food was going to be after 4 days in London, which is normally pretty bad food but was okay this time. The best food we had was the cheapest, pizza by the slice from Florida pizzeria, a little stand-up store front on the piazza where the Area Sacra is.

It shouldn't surprise me though, as my old teacher from school in England said he's been to 70 countries and none of them have food as good as in the US. He said when he gets a chance to come back to the US every few years all he does is eats, because the food is so much better. I'd have to agree with him.

Edit: As for culture / assets you mentioned: I wasn't impressed by Rome in the least bit in that respect. It was a really dirty, run-down city. Spray painted graffiti was everywhere, including the nicest parts of the city, virtually every store would try to take advantage of tourists in anyway they could. We found shops charging random prices on things like soda depending on what they felt like that moment. You couldn't assume because you paid 3 Euro at 10am that it would still be 3 Euro at 3pm or the following day. We found one store was refilling soda bottles and selling them, where they get the empty bottles I don't want to think about. If you asked for a receipt to itemize prices they refused and simply gave you a calculator tape showing the total was 10 Euros and you paid 10 Euros. When asked how much each item was they didn't add up to the same total. Restaurants, even expensive ones, were no better and pulled the same kind of gimmicks. If it wasn't for the work of the ancient Romans and a small window later on the city would be a complete wreck. The current culture of the city is an arm pit. I should defend many of the older men in Rome we encountered. They were a different animal, usually very kind and generous and big fans of little kids. I shouldn't paint with too broad of a brush on the others but it did seem to be the majority.

If I were to compare London and Rome I'd say London is very clean and very structured, while Rome is very dirty and seat-of-the-pants.

Last edited:
Any suggestions for a worthy place or person to donate all my MCAT study stuff to? I know a lot of people sell them but I'd rather give them away to someone deserving, local.

Rome, huh? Sounds awesome. Are you coming back to summer classes or were you able to get your humanities requirement waived?

Grats on getting in, when you mentioned being next in line I knew you were set.

I didn't get it waived and didn't even try. I hate flushing the $1500 but it's only 1 1/2 weeks and I don't want to ask for any special treatment from the school, because some day I might really need help and don't want to wear out my welcome up front. :)

Ok so I just called: I am now #6 on the international waitlist moved from #15!!! they accepted 6 people so far and 3 withdrew 3 holding their spots.
so based on last year there is a chance for me :) 12 accepted last year and 4 matriculated.

That is good news. I hope it works out :)

VF

congrats, Poni!! Looking forward to seeing you!

No, it was the SPQR variety. We tried a new place each day, ranging from $100 to $200 per one or two course meal with 2 adults, 2 small kids. We tried some in tourist areas, some in more neighborhood oriented areas and the food was all marginal. It was a big let down as we had been looking forward to how great the food was going to be after 4 days in London, which is normally pretty bad food but was okay this time. The best food we had was the cheapest, pizza by the slice from Florida pizzeria, a little stand-up store front on the piazza where the Area Sacra is.

It shouldn't surprise me though, as my old teacher from school in England said he's been to 70 countries and none of them have food as good as in the US. He said when he gets a chance to come back to the US every few years all he does is eats, because the food is so much better. I'd have to agree with him.

Edit: As for culture / assets you mentioned: I wasn't impressed by Rome in the least bit in that respect. It was a really dirty, run-down city. Spray painted graffiti was everywhere, including the nicest parts of the city, virtually every store would try to take advantage of tourists in anyway they could. We found shops charging random prices on things like soda depending on what they felt like that moment. You couldn't assume because you paid 3 Euro at 10am that it would still be 3 Euro at 3pm or the following day. We found one store was refilling soda bottles and selling them, where they get the empty bottles I don't want to think about. If you asked for a receipt to itemize prices they refused and simply gave you a calculator tape showing the total was 10 Euros and you paid 10 Euros. When asked how much each item was they didn't add up to the same total. Restaurants, even expensive ones, were no better and pulled the same kind of gimmicks. If it wasn't for the work of the ancient Romans and a small window later on the city would be a complete wreck. The current culture of the city is an arm pit. I should defend many of the older men in Rome we encountered. They were a different animal, usually very kind and generous and big fans of little kids. I shouldn't paint with too broad of a brush on the others but it did seem to be the majority.

If I were to compare London and Rome I'd say London is very clean and very structured, while Rome is very dirty and seat-of-the-pants.

Wow, I would have to completely disagree with you that London is cleaner then Rome.
They are different kinds of dirty, but London was pretty bad.
Rome is a dusty, crumbling things kind of dirty. I am not sure what shops you were at, but I never experienced what you are talking about with the pop bottles and whatnot. Maybe we stayed in very different areas, but I was there for about a month total on two separate occasions and did not see that.

London is a grungy, moldy, sleezy kind of dirty. It was super wet and when you were in the poorer areas you KNEW it. We went to some plays in a different area than where we were staying in the West End and most of us girls felt concern about being mugged and/or raped. I never felt anything like that when I was anywhere in Italy. I haven't been there since 2001 though so maybe it changed dramatically over the past 8-9 years (geez it's been a long time...).

And wow did you guys spend a LOT on food in Rome. $50 per adult and $25 per kid? That is insane. Did you use any guide books to choose these places?
I think typically I spent like 5-10 Euro per meal, maybe up to 20 for dinner most of the time on my trips to Europe.

Overall though I would agree that American food is "better". Part of it is what your palate grew up with, though, so maybe Italian pizza is super amazing to Italians while many Americans prefer a chicago-style slice. There were certain street vendors/small bakeries in London, though, that had amazing food and was way better than super spendy restaurants I have been to in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.