2009-2010 University of Minnesota (Twin Cities) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I would have to completely disagree with you that London is cleaner then Rome.
They are different kinds of dirty, but London was pretty bad.
Rome is a dusty, crumbling things kind of dirty. I am not sure what shops you were at, but I never experienced what you are talking about with the pop bottles and whatnot. Maybe we stayed in very different areas, but I was there for about a month total on two separate occasions and did not see that.

London is a grungy, moldy, sleezy kind of dirty. It was super wet and when you were in the poorer areas you KNEW it. We went to some plays in a different area than where we were staying in the West End and most of us girls felt concern about being mugged and/or raped. I never felt anything like that when I was anywhere in Italy. I haven't been there since 2001 though so maybe it changed dramatically over the past 8-9 years (geez it's been a long time...).

And wow did you guys spend a LOT on food in Rome. $50 per adult and $25 per kid? That is insane. Did you use any guide books to choose these places?
I think typically I spent like 5-10 Euro per meal, maybe up to 20 for dinner most of the time on my trips to Europe.

It has changed dramatically in the past 10 years, even more so in the last 20. I used to live in London, St. John's Wood to be exact, for about 5 years at the end of the 80's and it's nothing like it was back then. The tubes used to smell like urine everywhere, there was garbage all over the place and you could be certain to see at least 4 or 5 homeless passed out in any one station. I go back pretty often and it seems to be 9/11 that really changed the attitude. I don't think they solved the homeless problem or eliminated gangs but simply displaced them both from areas any normal tourist might go. It's actually cleaner than Minneapolis and they have cameras everywhere. I suspect Brixton is probably the same as you remember it.

I didn't mean to imply Rome was physically unsafe. I didn't feel threated in either Rome or London, Naples on the other hand... If you go in an Italian public toilet you'll know what I'm really talking about. I thank my lucky stars I'm a guy when it comes to that. My wife and kids weren't happy. The subway was a case of extremes, the A line trains were new and clean, while the B line were filthy, with more graffiti than a NYC train. The subways in Rome reminded me of Paris. There were a lot of Gypsy groups begging and pick pocketing and like Paris the police seemed to turn a blind eye to it. On the train from Naples to Rome I watched an armed train cop sit on the floor playing a PSP while three guys were dealing drugs in front of him, in front of my two kids. Two of the three went into the bathroom together for fifteen minutes and came out looking like they had both been shooting up, the cop just pretended not to notice.

We stayed on the Republic side of Termini, but eating was all over the place. I also agree the prices were outrageous. These were supposed to be well regarded establishments. They'd pull really lame stunts like charging for bread and tap water while it wasn't listed as an item in the menu etc. As I mentioned the best was the little pizzeria with no seating. The prices were great and the pizza was better than I've ever had. The refilling of bottles wasn't a common thing, only the one store, but the shifting pricing and random totals seemed to be common every where outside the Vatican walls. The big attractions like the Colosseum, Capitoline museum or Pantheon were neat and tidy but once you walked around the corner the buildings had graffiti all over them.

Trust me, I was just in Rome three days ago and London last week, they are night and day when it comes to being clean and orderly. I can't speak for how Rome used to be, but can with London. Maybe Rome used to be clean and got dirty while London went the other direction. This is all kind of funny considering London was founded by the Romans. :)

Members don't see this ad.

It has changed dramatically in the past 10 years, even more so in the last 20. I used to live in London, St. John's Wood to be exact, for about 5 years at the end of the 80's and it's nothing like it was back then. The tubes used to smell like urine everywhere, there was garbage all over the place and you could be certain to see at least 4 or 5 homeless passed out in any one station. I go back pretty often and it seems to be 9/11 that really changed the attitude. I don't think they solved the homeless problem or eliminated gangs but simply displaced them both from areas any normal tourist might go. It's actually cleaner than Minneapolis and they have cameras everywhere. I suspect Brixton is probably the same as you remember it.

I didn't mean to imply Rome was physically unsafe. I didn't feel threated in either Rome or London, Naples on the other hand... If you go in an Italian public toilet you'll know what I'm really talking about. I thank my lucky stars I'm a guy when it comes to that. My wife and kids weren't happy. The subway was a case of extremes, the A line trains were new and clean, while the B line were filthy, with more graffiti than a NYC train. The subways in Rome reminded me of Paris. There were a lot of Gypsy groups begging and pick pocketing and like Paris the police seemed to turn a blind eye to it. On the train from Naples to Rome I watched an armed train cop sit on the floor playing a PSP while three guys were dealing drugs in front of him, in front of my two kids. Two of the three went into the bathroom together for fifteen minutes and came out looking like they had both been shooting up, the cop just pretended not to notice.

We stayed on the Republic side of Termini, but eating was all over the place. I also agree the prices were outrageous. These were supposed to be well regarded establishments. They'd pull really lame stunts like charging for bread and tap water while it wasn't listed as an item in the menu etc. As I mentioned the best was the little pizzeria with no seating. The prices were great and the pizza was better than I've ever had. The refilling of bottles wasn't a common thing, only the one store, but the shifting pricing and random totals seemed to be common every where outside the Vatican walls. The big attractions like the Colosseum, Capitoline museum or Pantheon were neat and tidy but once you walked around the corner the buildings had graffiti all over them.

Trust me, I was just in Rome three days ago and London last week, they are night and day when it comes to being clean and orderly. I can't speak for how Rome used to be, but can with London. Maybe Rome used to be clean and got dirty while London went the other direction. This is all kind of funny considering London was founded by the Romans. :)

Crazy. Maybe they did go opposite ways. I was in London in 2005, so a little more recently than the Rome trips. Yes parts of it were very clean but others just had lurky feelings associated with them (heh).

I think we can all agree on one thing, though--Paris smells like urine.
:smuggrin:

Crazy. Maybe they did go opposite ways. I was in London in 2005, so a little more recently than the Rome trips. Yes parts of it were very clean but others just had lurky feelings associated with them (heh).

I think we can all agree on one thing, though--Paris smells like urine.
:smuggrin:

Paris was awesome, if you could just get rid of the people. :D I guess that would solve the urine smell as well.

I'm probably being a little harder on Rome than I should be. Given the choice I'd do it over again, I'd just avoid the "nice" restaurants and hunt for a cheaper source of good Chianti!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it strange that I was accepted last Wednesday and still have not received any sort of acceptance package in the mail?

Is it strange that I was accepted last Wednesday and still have not received any sort of acceptance package in the mail?

It was Memorial Day weekend. It also took me a little while to get my acceptance package (1-2 weeks), and I was accepted in November

It was Memorial Day weekend. It also took me a little while to get my acceptance package (1-2 weeks), and I was accepted in November

Same here, except in January. As long as you got the phone call you are golden. Just make sure to check the "meded incoming year one" page, that has all the info (actually more than) the letter/package has.
did anyone post that link? Otherwise I can go check my e-mail and post it if you need it.

Same here, except in January. As long as you got the phone call you are golden. Just make sure to check the "meded incoming year one" page, that has all the info (actually more than) the letter/package has.
did anyone post that link? Otherwise I can go check my e-mail and post it if you need it.

Yeah, I think somebody posted that like above. That's great...thanks for the info!

Is anyone else having trouble opening some of the links on the year 1 meded site? Some of them (like the info about that Dr.'s research) just seem to link right back to the year 1 meded site.

Is anyone else having trouble opening some of the links on the year 1 meded site? Some of them (like the info about that Dr.'s research) just seem to link right back to the year 1 meded site.

I just opened that about a half hour ago, no problems. Most of the links are just PDFs; are you on a computer that can open them?

Hey guys! Anybody have any speculation of how many more acceptances will be made off of the alternate list? It seems like the list kept moving a couple weeks ago, but there hasn't been any updates since the Friday before Memorial Day. Right now #28 is now #1..

That probably means the class is nearly full and very few spots are available..

There has been movement on the alt-list as I just received the call yesterday.

They must not be updating it as regularly.. What number were you?

Members don't see this ad :)
There has been movement on the alt-list as I just received the call yesterday.

Oo that gives me hope! According to the number on the alternate list hot line, I'm in the top 10 so we'll see. *crossing fingers*

Just to let people know, the research positions listed for dr beilman's lab have all been interviewed for and interviewees should hear back this Friday. I didn't check if they updated our page to reflect this or not.

Does anyone remember them saying when we would be enrolled in classes? i.e. actually part of the medical school?
I e-mailed the office with this and a few other questions but haven't gotten a response yet.
I completed the HIPAA training for my AHC program 1-2 years ago so I was trying to figure out if I needed to do it again or not. I can still log in to MyU but it does not show my new degree or anything other than the stuff from the CLS program.
Any people who have not gone to the U before been able to log-in to anything yet?

Have you send your transcripts to them yet? My MyU page recently changed to med school after I sent my transcripts, or maybe it's just coincidence.

Have you send your transcripts to them yet? My MyU page recently changed to med school after I sent my transcripts, or maybe it's just coincidence.
Ha apparently I needed to post because I just logged in and now "my college" has all the medical school info :laugh:

I have had my transcripts in forever, so I don't think that was the major factor. Maybe they just added most people at once?
thanks for the reply, either way ^_^

Ah dangit I do need to redo HIPAA training. Oh well

Ha apparently I needed to post because I just logged in and now "my college" has all the medical school info :laugh:

I have had my transcripts in forever, so I don't think that was the major factor. Maybe they just added most people at once?
thanks for the reply, either way ^_^

Ah dangit I do need to redo HIPAA training. Oh well

I just logged into myu and I see "my college / unit" as one of the tabs, with no medical school info under it :(

I had called about something else a while back, and so I asked about having my myU change over. They said it has to do with the IT people making the switch system-wide for the new semester. Mine hasn't switched over either. I imagine the rest of us will be switched over in the next couple of days.

http://www.meded.umn.edu/students/tech/

The University of Minnesota Medical School is requiring incoming students to purchase a TurningPoint remote. According to the description posted in the link above, "This clicker is a credit card size device used for instant feedback and polling in the classroom." This appears to be a preliminary step to requiring classroom attendance. I'd advise anyone concerned about being treated like an elementary school student to contact the University of Minnesota immediately to express your concern.

The University of Minnesota Medical School is requiring incoming students to purchase a TurningPoint remote. According to the description posted in the link above, "This clicker is a credit card size device used for instant feedback and polling in the classroom." This appears to be a preliminary step to requiring classroom attendance. I'd advise anyone concerned about being treated like an elementary school student to contact the University of Minnesota immediately to express your concern.

i hope they dont

A number of my pre-requisite classes at the U had those. It's really not a big deal. I think the idea is to try to overcome the phenomena of 175 people sitting in a large lecture hall, and no one wants to mention that the entire class is lost. It's harder for the professor to gauge in huge classes like that. Plus, some people are going to be intimidated by raising their hand and admitting they are confused in front of that many people. I never saw anyone use them as a mandatory attendance device. Any points given were so minimal that you'd have to miss almost every class for it to make even a small dent.

I am bummed that the 2 clickers I have already bought won't work though.

ugh those things are TERRIBLE
we used them in one or two of my classes (got passed out at the beginning and returned at the end of the class hour)
It's so hokey. Basically the teachers would make up a quiz and then berate everyone who got the question wrong. It seems like such a forced concept and really interrupts the flow of the class.

I can't imagine using those enough to warrant a purchase.

I know there has been talk of a push to make it "worth your while" to attend every class instead of people watching the lectures at home. Gimmicky polling devices are definitely not in that category to me.

EDIT: $30?!!?!?!
REEEdic

Last edited:
Hey would you other U of M students mind checking something on myU for me? Click on myCollege and scroll down to where it says "Advisers" Have you been assigned one yet? I'm just curious because my adviser is still listed as my Master's degree adviser and he might not be the best med school adviser.

Hey would you other U of M students mind checking something on myU for me? Click on myCollege and scroll down to where it says "Advisers" Have you been assigned one yet? I'm just curious because my adviser is still listed as my Master's degree adviser and he might not be the best med school adviser.

Did your MyU page change to medical school yet? Mine doesn't show any adviser, but a year 1 coordinator tho.

Mine also just shows the year one coordinator. They probably haven't even assigned our new advisors/advising groups yet.

Just got the e-mail that I got one of the surgical research positions--YAYS! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.