2009-2010 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are on separate lists. There is a Vermont waitlist and a OOS waitlist. On my applicant center is specifies that I am on the VT waitlist, and I am assuming that it doesn't say that on yours?

Members don't see this ad.

We are on separate lists. There is a Vermont waitlist and a OOS waitlist. On my applicant center is specifies that I am on the VT waitlist, and I am assuming that it doesn't say that on yours?

You are right. It specifies OOS waitlist.

They told me today that they have slowly resumed accepting about 1 person per week

Yeah I called in today and was told that about 1-2 ppl are being accepted per week. There is still about a month and half left!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know if they're calling or emailing acceptances at this point? I'm going to be without internet for a few weeks, and I'm a nervous about not getting something important.

Does anybody know if they're calling or emailing acceptances at this point? I'm going to be without internet for a few weeks, and I'm a nervous about not getting something important.

That might be something worth calling to ask--I'd be curious too. They seem pretty into email, but I imagine as the start of school gets closer they'll switch to phone calls.

I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks and am also planning it as a vacation from this absurd task of waiting. I'll probably just change my voicemail to say "I'm out of the country, but if this is a medical school, YES, I'll come."

Hmmm maybe let them know what dates your not available, so they'll know your not ignoring them.

Do you guys know how important volunteer experience is to Vermont?

They are still emailing...I received an acceptance yesterday..I am so excited I can't sleep! YAY!!!!

They are still emailing...I received an acceptance yesterday..I am so excited I can't sleep! YAY!!!!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) I'm really happy that at least one of us got in!!

I guess Berkeleyvala, you don't owe us $10. Someone from here got in! :) Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am still waiting. I've sent in three letters of interest, I think. I know that I've sent in two. I think I might have imagined the third, I think it was more of a formal email in PDF format than anything.. Anywho, I try calling them every few weeks and have essentially reiterated what everyone has said on here--there is some very slow movement but movements do happen, eg someone pulled off the waitlist declines. This is my only shot at med school this year but thankfully I've reapplied, but to DO schools since I feel I am stronger candidate there.

Anywho, I will of course let you all know how it goes and if I get anymore info from the offi while as we sit in this lovely pool... wine, anyone?

Best wishes and goodluck,

Mmikey

I am still waiting. I've sent in three letters of interest, I think. I know that I've sent in two. I think I might have imagined the third, I think it was more of a formal email in PDF format than anything.. Anywho, I try calling them every few weeks and have essentially reiterated what everyone has said on here--there is some very slow movement but movements do happen, eg someone pulled off the waitlist declines. This is my only shot at med school this year but thankfully I've reapplied, but to DO schools since I feel I am stronger candidate there.

Anywho, I will of course let you all know how it goes and if I get anymore info from the offi while as we sit in this lovely pool... wine, anyone?

Best wishes and goodluck,

Mmikey

Just like all us waitlisters, it's good to be hopeful that we may get that email but if that doesn't happen, we can't let it bother us too much (easier said that done). We've waited so long, so what's another month!
It's good you have a solid plan B too.

Great to hear the wait list is moving. Congrats papilliontat2 on your acceptance! Still hoping to hear some good news soon!

I called the office today but I don't have any useful information to report back. :\

I spoke to a new lady at the office, and she was really nice. Our conversation was pretty brief.

1. Anything we can do to improve our chances at this point? - No, just continue to write the letters of interest and make the phone calls

2. Will be able to get a better idea of where we are on the list in July? - No. She told me that she wasn't really sure how the wait list process worked but that we won't know where we are on the list in July because it is unranked.

I'm not sure if this contradicts any information anyone else found out, but that's what I got today. :\ But the last time I spoke to someone, it sounded like there is some order to the list, and that letters and calls should be done in moderation. So...really, I don't know anymore.

Everything sounds like hocus pocus sometimes to me. :)

I just wanted to throw this out there.

Hang in there! And good luck to everyone else who's waiting just like me! :)

Thanks for calling littlebun.

I've called a couple times to reiterate my interest and was basically told those same things and that every time a spot opens up, they review the entire wait list pool all over again. Which seems kind of time consuming...there has to be SOME ranking.

I haven't called in a while because I always feel like I am bothering them / awkwardly reiterating my interest.

This is just all so frustrating--especially as I'm trying to consider at what point I need to throw in the towel and reapply. Shall we start taking bets on when the next person will come off of this list????

I just got the secondary application for UVM class of 2015. Oy. :(
This is depressing having to fill it out a second time.

So I haven't even started this years AMCAS yet. I was planning on maybe doing a personal statement in the next couple of weeks and submitting the whole thing in early August, when I've completely thrown in the towel (I'm on 3 wait lists)

Do you think that's a bad idea? Should I be submitting now so I don't put myself at a disadvantage?

So I haven't even started this years AMCAS yet. I was planning on maybe doing a personal statement in the next couple of weeks and submitting the whole thing in early August, when I've completely thrown in the towel (I'm on 3 wait lists)

Do you think that's a bad idea? Should I be submitting now so I don't put myself at a disadvantage?

Hey brother, I'm on three waitlists too. I talked to my pre-health advisor towards the end of the semester when I realized I wasn't going to have any outright acceptances and asked him what I should do. He told me that I should submit my AMCAS mid-June, which is what I did. That being said, do you know where you stand on any waitlists? One of the schools that I'm waitlisted at (UC) told me I was in their lower third of the waitlist, and that my odds of getting in are very slim. If you were told you were near the top of a waitlist, maybe I'd wait it out a bit longer.

Hope this helps, and good luck getting in either this cycle or next!

Did you change much in your AMCAS application? I feel like I had a really good application...I just submitted my stuff really late last year, like a couple days before the deadline...which I think definitely put me at a disadvantage. For people who are re-applying or have done so in the past, how did you change your app?

Mid-June..whoa, that clearly hasn't happened for me. I'm going on vacation soon so mid-July would even be a stretch. I've been trying to find out where I stand on wait lists but everywhere is being so secretive, which doesn't help much at all.

Brooksie--what is your definition of "late," just out of curiosity? I don't want to put myself at a disadvantage either.

Argh...this is all so frustrating...

Did you change much in your AMCAS application? I feel like I had a really good application...I just submitted my stuff really late last year, like a couple days before the deadline...which I think definitely put me at a disadvantage. For people who are re-applying or have done so in the past, how did you change your app?

I was in the same boat. My AMCAS wasn't complete until the very end of October. I rewrote my personal statement for this year, but that's about all.

If anyone is still waiting to resubmit the AMCAS application, my advice is to do it ASAP. I'm told the wait is already very long to have the app verified (4-6 weeks). That means you will just start getting secondaries while people are being offered interviews!

My AMCAS wasn't complete until end of September/Early October last year.

I already had my transcripts sent in for this year, but am trying to decide whether or not to change anything from last year.

At the same time I am still holding onto some hope that I will come off the waitlist. But, I want to be prepared if that doesn't happen.

Yeah I'm 100% with you Brooksie.

We have to RE-send our transcripts? I feel like if they have stuff from last cycle, they should take pity on us and just verify us quickly and not put us through the hassle of having to send the exact same transcript again.

Argh!

Yeah I'm 100% with you Brooksie.

We have to RE-send our transcripts? I feel like if they have stuff from last cycle, they should take pity on us and just verify us quickly and not put us through the hassle of having to send the exact same transcript again.

Argh!

Haha...yea, I thought the same thing. But yea, I agree w/ all said. I turned in my primary last week because I wanted to be prepared.

I didn't change much on my application. I changed my personal statement a little- but really, my reasons for going to med school haven't changed in this past year. And yep, resubmitted my transcripts and letters of rec.

The nice thing that amcas does for reapps is that they upload all your classes and grades,bio, and activities for you as submitted in the last cycle. So yay! :). That's about it.

Good luck and turn in your primaries asap!! :)

That's the bottleneck for me...the personal statement. I put a lot of work into my personal statement last year and I really liked it. Not much has changed, but I was told to write a new statement, which will take me a couple weeks...sigh...

FWIW, I had the same exact application 2 years in a row, the only difference being when I applied (End of August the first time, Early June the second time). That was the difference between 0 interviews and 7.

Ugh... I am so anxious to get this secondary. Why haven't I gotten mine yet! :scared:

My AMCAS wasn't complete until end of September/Early October last year.

I already had my transcripts sent in for this year, but am trying to decide whether or not to change anything from last year.

At the same time I am still holding onto some hope that I will come off the waitlist. But, I want to be prepared if that doesn't happen.

If you want to do better this year, one thing you should change is applying as soon as you can.

I can't believe is Primary season again!! I have to get on that.

I got in!!! I got in!!! I got in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats PorpoiseMD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I'm so glad that you got in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another off our list of many!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone! I got the call from Tiffany Delaney this afternoon. She was so nice! Good luck to everyone!

Holy crap that is so awesome! Congratsssss!!!!

That's so awesome! Congratulations!!! I'm so glad that some of us are getting in!

Congrats Porpoise! It appears I don't owe people $10. You got in right under the wire ;). Here's hoping the month of July is good to the rest of us.

I got in!!! I got in!!! I got in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you pay for this year's secondary already? You should ask for a refund ;)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you pay for this year's secondary already? You should ask for a refund ;)

They were kind enough to offer me a refund when I was accepted. Three other schools and AMCAS also gave me a full refund, but Wisconsin Medical College was a little more hard nosed about it. They kept the $100. :(
It's hard to really care much about it at this point!

when they say it takes 4-6 weeks for amcas to "verify" your application, do they start once you submit your primary app? or does it only start once you have your 1) primary app submitted, 2) transcript submitted, 3) COMMITTEE LETTER as well? (in other words, if the committee letter won't be done for a month, does that mean that my submitting my primary amcas application early won't enable AMCAS to verify my application earlier? - and I'd have to wait for them to receive my committee letter in a month and then have to wait another 4-6 weeks from then?)

Verification process only involves submitting primary and transcripts to AMCAS. The letters are required once you submit your secondaries.

FWIW, I had the same exact application 2 years in a row, the only difference being when I applied (End of August the first time, Early June the second time). That was the difference between 0 interviews and 7.

just out of curiosity, did your application change much the second time you applied? I guess Ive been waiting a little because I was afraid that I'd have little to update the medical schools on this time around (because I just graduated from college). also, did you retake the MCAT as well? or you already had a decent score?

thanks ahead of time "stay classy". I appreciate your words of wisdom :D. it's making a big impact on my decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.