****2009 Tmdsas***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danny289

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everybody
maybe it is a little early for this thread, but I think it will be very usefull we share our stats and experience about the application process from last year and new application.
last year I got just one interview from San Antonio in december but not acceptance, and rejection from Baylor and Houston.
my stats:
TS: 20
AA:19
PAT:15
GPA 3.41
I will apply mid May when my Spring trancript is ready.
good luck for new cycle

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, everybody
maybe it is a little early for this thread, but I think it will be very usefull we share our stats and experience about the application process from last year and new application.
last year I got just one interview from San Antonio in december but not acceptance, and rejection from Baylor and Houston.
my stats:
TS: 20
AA:19
PAT:15
GPA 3.41
I will apply mid May when my Spring trancript is ready.
good luck for new cycle

20 tt
19 pat
2.97 undergrad gpa 3.4 in science
3.84 graduate gpa which is also science gpa
Did both of my degrees in biology
got 3 interviews, waitlisted at 2
rejected by like 15 schools :/

This was a great thread when I applied last year. Let me know if anyone has questions about the whole app. process or schools (specifically Baylor and SA). Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to UTH even though I know it's a HUGE long shot since I'm not a texas resident. I can't believe they accepted 0 nonresidents last year... Sadly it's my top choice because I really want to be in Houston.

Will it look better for me to apply with Tmdsas instead of aadsas?? I know it says they accept either for nonresidents. Any other advice? Thanks!

I'm applying to UTH even though I know it's a HUGE long shot since I'm not a texas resident. I can't believe they accepted 0 nonresidents last year... Sadly it's my top choice because I really want to be in Houston.

Will it look better for me to apply with Tmdsas instead of aadsas?? I know it says they accept either for nonresidents. Any other advice? Thanks!

No offense, but Dallas is the place to be. ;)

hahah i believe it too!! unfortunately my loco boyfriend is in grad school in houston for the next bajillion years. :mad:

I'm applying to UTH even though I know it's a HUGE long shot since I'm not a texas resident. I can't believe they accepted 0 nonresidents last year... Sadly it's my top choice because I
really want to be in Houston.

I think they accept 1 or 2 out of state. who knows maybe you will be one of them :thumbup:

Anyone know of anyone getting accepted to one of these Texas schools without a bachelors?

Yep. I know a girl who is a first year at Baylor who did not get her degree. She had close to a 4.0 and a 21 DAT.

to the 1st two posters.. where did ya'll do your undergrad work??

Yep. I know a girl who is a first year at Baylor who did not get her degree. She had close to a 4.0 and a 21 DAT.

Wow, thats impressive. I was thinking about applying this cycle but I wouldn't have my bachelors finished and I don't have a 4.0. Probably no point huh? Would it be beneficial to do it just to get the application process down?

Wow, thats impressive. I was thinking about applying this cycle but I wouldn't have my bachelors finished and I don't have a 4.0. Probably no point huh? Would it be beneficial to do it just to get the application process down?

If you have a great GPA and can get a good score on the DAT this year, I would go for it.

The majority of the cost of applying is paying the fees for the DAT.

I'd look at it as a small gamble. If you get in, you just saved yourself a year of undergrad debt and you'll have one extra year of dentist income.

If you don't get in, you wasted a few hundred bucks on DAT and TMDSAS costs, but you have a better feel for the application process when you apply next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im applying this year as well
gpa 3.6
dat 18/18/17 (i know its very average, i am retaking the dat)

I got 3 interviews and waitlisted at 3 schools..but im not sitting around for that! ill apply in mid may as well.

I applied with 3.8 cum./3.74 sci. with an 18AA/17TS, had three interviews, two rejections and one MIA. Will be retaking DAT and reapplying for this cycle. Good luck to all.

If you have a great GPA and can get a good score on the DAT this year, I would go for it.

The majority of the cost of applying is paying the fees for the DAT.

I'd look at it as a small gamble. If you get in, you just saved yourself a year of undergrad debt and you'll have one extra year of dentist income.

If you don't get in, you wasted a few hundred bucks on DAT and TMDSAS costs, but you have a better feel for the application process when you apply next year.

Yeah I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead and do it. Why not right? I think I'll feel like a success if I just get an interview! I've already payed for the DAT and I've been studying lightly for months.

on the tmdsas 2008 thread...we argued about if out of staters can use tmdsas and apparently they can but you still have to mark down that you are out of state...you might want to check the tmdsas website
good luck

This has nothing to do w/ TMDSAS but...... is there any Texans here doing post-bac? I was wondering if any of the 3 schools are "post-bac friendly". I have a 3.0 and 20/19/19 Dat if it matters.

Im applying this year as well
gpa 3.6
dat 18/18/17 (i know its very average, i am retaking the dat)

I got 3 interviews and waitlisted at 3 schools..but im not sitting around for that! ill apply in mid may as well.

Your stats are good, hence the interviews. How did you do on your interviews? That may have been the tipping point.

Rose, I think that you will definitely benefit from doing a post-bacc or masters. Your DAT scores are great but your gpa needs some help. This is where the masters/post-bacc would definitely help you out.

As for Hannah, I would suggest re-taking the DAT and aiming for 19+. I'm waitlisted at Houston, but I am planning to re-take the DAT to help my PAt score. Good luck to all

Ok guys, most of us are Texas residents and I believe we are aiming one of Texas schools (if you think about Harvard or Colombia, I don't blame you lol). Many SDNers as I know they could get to SA, Baylor or Houston, lets evaluate how was last cycle and what was important for each school and how was their acceptance process.
Of course first and important factor for these three schools is being Texas resident.

based on predent.com I think for all three schools DAT 19/20 and GPA 3.5 is good shot. (With some research in predent.com we see people with DAT 17 are accepted)

Please put your feedback from 2008 cycle with answering these questions: copy/ paste the questions and answer that.

Q1: What was your Stats?

Q2: what factor/s is important for each school? In other hand what they are looking for? Or which factor has more weight for each school?

SA:

Baylor:

Houston:

Q3: how late did you apply and got an interview /acceptance? When did you take your DAT?

Q4: What is the specific character for interview in each school?

Q5: in addition to those three schools, which other schools did you apply and got interview/acceptance?

Q6: did you have any interview the year prior to your acceptance year?

Q7: do you have something to add to these questions for helping for 2009 cycle?

Graduating with a BS in Biology and Health minor this may.
Current GPA: 3.85
sGPA: 3.74
18AA/17TS/15PAT

Q2: what factor/s is important for each school? In other hand what they are looking for? Or which factor has more weight for each school?

SA: Never really figured it out. I'm guessing a lot of emphasis is put on experience in the field. People with average range DAT scores do get in.

Baylor: For sure, above average DAT score and UPPER LEVELS are a must

Houston: AA should be at least around a 19 no matter what the GPA, which was what I was told in the interview. A lot of emphasis is placed on RC, in which I managed a 24.

All three schools have high regards for the TS section which is why I think I was rejected by both UT schools. My chemistry sucks, which is why I have to buckle down and bring those scores up (primarily what bought my score down). PAT and QR are the least regarded it seems.

Q3: how late did you apply and got an interview /acceptance? When did you take your DAT?

Applied in mid-May got all three interviews in August and one in Mid-May for NYU. Still waiting on my rejection for Baylor and NYU (waitlisted).

All the interviews were relaxed. Just basics as to why you chose dentistry, what do plan on doing for the community, what are your future plans, what happens if you don't get in, why a low grade here, why low DAT score there. Nothing real major. Just relax and think through the question in a normal manner, don't become too obsessive. In Houston, my interviewer introduced me to the head of prosthodontics since I told I was interested in the field of cancer reconstruction (I thought for sure she liked me and I was in..lol). In SA there is a student interview and a faculty interview; in Houston there is a single faculty interview; and at Baylor there is a three person interview with the Dean and two other faculty members. Be careful with the lady that heads research in systemic diseases in the oral cavity, if she is your interviewer, she will GRILL YOU. I forget names, sorry. All were open file.

Q5: in addition to those three schools, which other schools did you apply and got interview/acceptance?

NYU, currently waitlisted after an interview in Mid-March. NYU is a great school with a completely restructured program. The building is like a hotel, a place where you want to come back all the time. Facilities are top of the line and everyone is SOOO friendly. There is a brief interview with a faculty member and again was open file and completely relaxing. Wouldn't mind living in NYC for four years either, would be a great experience.

Q6: did you have any interview the year prior to your acceptance year? Last cycle was my first cycle applying.

I think I got good experience from this cycle. I made a mistake by not retaking my DATs and banking on my GPA to get me in somewhere. It taught me not to be overconfident, if in doubt, it will probably be wise to address it. Oh well, cheers to Round 2. :laugh:

well i dont think my dat scores were as good as they should be although when i took it a year and half ago they were pretty good scores and i was happy, but within a year everythings gone up it seems.

i think what helped me get interviews is my gpa and strong overall application (research, lots of EC, great LOR)
as for my interviews, they went well..i asked one of the schools that didnt accept me why and what i can do and he said that everything in my app looks good except for my dat and that i should get it up a couple points higher..so thats what im gonna do!

even though i dont understand how some people get in with 17/18..? why cant i be one of them? :confused:

Rose, I think that you will definitely benefit from doing a post-bacc or masters. Your DAT scores are great but your gpa needs some help. This is where the masters/post-bacc would definitely help you out.

Yeah, I'm planning to start an MS or post bac soon. Just looking for someone from TX that has done the same. I've heard that the 3 TX schools aren't impressed by a high graduate gpa. Anyone know if there's any truth to this?

I've done a couple of masters but I entered the programs before I got interested in dentistry. (Undergrad GPA: 3.5, Grad GPA: 3.5)

I've heard the same before, that the adcoms don't regard graduate GPAs that much because the grading is a lot more lenient than in undergrad, BUT, if you are someone who has a low GPA, they do like to see that you're giving an effort to bring it up whether it be through masters or post-bacc. I'd suggest doing an MPH if you're interested in having a career back up plan (and the courses are a lot less rigorous) rather than an MS or MA. However, if you really like research and lab work and the notion of getting published, than go for the MS/MA. I've done both, and I really like both, and both degrees have made me very competitive in the job market. However, I am not giving up on dentistry.

anyways, PM if you really want to get into the nitty gritty of either programs. But, I will say again, you have very good DAT scores. Too bad your GPA isn't 3.3+ cuz you woulda been a shoe in.

I've done a couple of masters but I entered the programs before I got interested in dentistry. (Undergrad GPA: 3.5, Grad GPA: 3.5)

I've heard the same before, that the adcoms don't regard graduate GPAs that much because the grading is a lot more lenient than in undergrad, BUT, if you are someone who has a low GPA, they do like to see that you're giving an effort to bring it up whether it be through masters or post-bacc. I'd suggest doing an MPH if you're interested in having a career back up plan (and the courses are a lot less rigorous) rather than an MS or MA. However, if you really like research and lab work and the notion of getting published, than go for the MS/MA. I've done both, and I really like both, and both degrees have made me very competitive in the job market. However, I am not giving up on dentistry.

anyways, PM if you really want to get into the nitty gritty of either programs. But, I will say again, you have very good DAT scores. Too bad your GPA isn't 3.3+ cuz you woulda been a shoe in.

Hey, I pm'ed you. :)

18AA/17TS/15PAT

Houston: AA should be at least around a 19 no matter what the GPA, which was what I was told in the interview. A lot of emphasis is placed on RC, in which I managed a 24.
I know maybe this question is related to DAT section.
how did you prepared yourself fo RC, what strategy did you use? thanks in advace for your answer

Ok guys, most of us are Texas residents and I believe we are aiming one of Texas schools (if you think about Harvard or Colombia, I don’t blame you lol). Many SDNers as I know they could get to SA, Baylor or Houston, lets evaluate how was last cycle and what was important for each school and how was their acceptance process.
Of course first and important factor for these three schools is being Texas resident.

based on predent.com I think for all three schools DAT 19/20 and GPA 3.5 is good shot. (With some research in predent.com we see people with DAT 17 are accepted)

Please put your feedback from 2008 cycle with answering these questions: copy/ paste the questions and answer that.

I was a 2007 applicant, but thought I would go ahead and share feedback in hopes that it will help the applicants this year.

B.S. Biology
3.82 cumulative GPA
3.91 science GPA
18/18/15

SA: From what I have heard, it seems to be a solid GPA, and a good total science score.

Baylor: Strong total science with lots of upper division science courses.

Houston: Strong science average, good GPA.

All 3 schools like to see shadowing and commitment to extracurricular activities.

I submitted my application July 10th. I had San Antonio and Baylor interviews in September, and Houston in October. I received all 3 acceptances on December 1st.

San Antonio: 1-on-1 student interview with a DS4 and a 1-on-1 faculty interview. 20 minutes each. San Antonio also has an essay they have you write at the conclusion of the interview day. It's a different topic each week, and it goes in your file. Overall, it's really laid back.

Baylor: Three 1-on-1 faculty interviews, 15 minutes each. A little more stressful than the San Antonio interview. I think it's because each interviewer had a specific part of the application they were supposed to focus on, or at least that's how it turned out with me. And they want to get as much information from you, and a good impression of you in 15 minutes. Other than that, it was pretty relaxed.

Houston: One 45 interview with a faculty member. They had a few "form" questions that they asked everybody and took notes on, and then it was just a get-to-know you session. Do come with questions to this interview and things you want to talk about, or your interview will be over in 10 minutes. You don't want it to end that soon.

Nova Southeastern - interviewed late November, accepted December 1st. You have a 1-on-2 interview with faculty members. They each ask you questions for about 20-25 minutes (I think).

West Virginia - invited for interview in January, decline interview offer (no connections to the school)

I also applied to ASDOH, but withdrew early in the cycle... and I applied to Maryland, Case Western, Creighton, UMKC, and Louisville.

I am not sure what you mean by this... I was not a re-applicant, and I did not "unofficially" interview at a school such as meeting with the dean.

Q7: do you have something to add to these questions for helping for 2009 cycle?

If your school offers it I highly recommend doing a mock interview with your career services center. Have them videotape too. It was one of the best things for me to see what I did well on, and to see what the career services interviewer critiqued me on. It's nice to have some questions asked to you in a mock formal setting too. Dress the part when you do this and get used to wearing your suit, how you are going to sit, wear your hair, etc.

And I know that some people think thank you notes are over-rated, waste of time, etc. but I highly recommend it. It's professional. You would do the same thing after a job interview if you wanted the spot. I don't think it helps you get in per se, but it can't hurt as long as you send them promptly after your interview date. And who knows, if you're an alternate, it might be the difference between you getting off the waitlist before someone else.

Graduating with a B.S. Biology and minor in Chem in 7 days!
cGPA 3.89
sGPA 3.90
20AA/21TS/23PAT

SA: I got waitlisted here probably b/c it was my first interview and it blew chunks. They seem to like high GPA/DAT it seems

Baylor: They tell you specifically at the interview that they are looking for good DAT scores (science sections especially) and upper level/advanced science courses in your curriculum.

Houston: RC seems pretty important to them (probably b/c of the correlation with board scores)

Took the DAT in July. Submitted my TMDSAS application to all three Texas schools last week of September (late I know...don't be like me lol). Interviewed at San Antonio on Nov 19 and ultimately got wait listed. Interviewed at Baylor on Nov 28 and accepted Dec 1. Interviewed at Houston Dec 10 and accepted Jan 15.

San Antonio's student interview was really relaxed and easy...faculty one was a little rough for me. Got grilled by every little detail of my application. Baylor's interview was surprisingly relaxed even though you get three 1 on 1 interviews with faculty. They didn't ask me much about dentistry at all, and we ended up talking about music or sports. At the Houston, the interviewer has a set list of interview questions that they will ask you (ie strengths/weakness, how do you handle stress, etc you can find most of them on the interview feedback). After those questions, its just a nice conversation. I had Dr. Goldschmidt for this one who teaches microbiology. Sweet lady...like talking with my grandmother.

I applied to a bunch of out of state schools, but I either never finished the supplementals or I withdrew from the interviews

First time applying.

18AA/17TS/15PAT

I know maybe this question is related to DAT section.
how did you prepared yourself fo RC, what strategy did you use? thanks in advace for your answer

Hey Danny, I never really prepared for the section, its just something I have a knack for. I read the passages throughly and remembered the main subjects of each paragraph, so when you go back to the question you know where to look for the answer. That's also how I study, just read everything over and over until its in my head. Hope it helps.

Thanks mantraman1010
Good luck for new cycle:thumbup:

As I explained in my first Post. I got an interview in San Antonio but not acceptance. I think one of the most important reson for that was my credit hours by the time. my transcripts just showing 62 hours! and all of them from CC. maybe I was so lucky, even got one interview!
recently I got few emails from UTHSCSA for Bachelor in Science Degree Program in Dental Laboratory ( one year program) starting fall semester. they encourage me for enrolling in thier class and explaining "This curriculum concentrates on knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to better prepare students for the dental school application process."

I am curious, other applicants that got an interview from SA, getting similar ivitiatation? and how it is going to affect the application process?that means they like me?:D

I am pretty sure that they just sent it out to everyone who applied, I was accepted in December and I still go the email abou the summer course. It kind of freaked me out for a minute b/c I thought they pulled my acceptance!

I am pretty sure that they just sent it out to everyone who applied, I was accepted in December and I still go the email abou the summer course. It kind of freaked me out for a minute b/c I thought they pulled my acceptance!
:laugh:

Hey Danny, I never really prepared for the section, its just something I have a knack for. I read the passages throughly and remembered the main subjects of each paragraph, so when you go back to the question you know where to look for the answer. That's also how I study, just read everything over and over until its in my head. Hope it helps.

I did the same thing as above... read the passage in full, but I used key words in the question and look for these when I went back over the passage to look for the answer. I scored a 24 in this section.

Q1: What are your Stats?
Bachelor in Applied Arts and Science
3.6 GPA
3.5 Science
18AA/17TS
1 interview at SA last cycle
3 rejections last cycle

Every school said advance science coursework (3000/4000 level) and high DAT science scores are a main component of their decision. I was told by Baylor they wouldn’t even look at me unless I had 3000+ courses and a current DAT (same year as my app).

I interviewed at SA, and felt good going into the interview. After the interview I knew I wasn’t getting in because I was grilled hardcore on why I hadn’t taken my advance classes yet.

Q3: how late did you apply and got an interview /acceptance?
Applied in May; got one interview in July; interviewed in August with SA; no acceptances

When did you take your DAT? Took DAT in June year prior.

Undergrad: gpa=3.24; gpa sci=3.14
Grad: gpa=3.54; gpa sci=3.44
MS Physical Therapy
BS Kinesiology
19AA/19TS/23PAT

I applied in May/June but did not take the DAT until early October. I did not get an interview and did not anticipate one since I was a non-TX resident at the time. I did not apply to other schools outside of TX as my wife works in Austin.

This year I will applying 26 schools including the 3 TX schools and will be a resident. My gpa is low for undergrad but includes many courses when I was an engineer major that are not part of the prereq's. Hopefully, I'll get an interview this year to hopefully explain myself.

Undergrad: gpa=3.24; gpa sci=3.14
Grad: gpa=3.54; gpa sci=3.44
MS Physical Therapy
BS Kinesiology
19AA/19TS/23PAT

I applied in May/June but did not take the DAT until early October. I did not get an interview and did not anticipate one since I was a non-TX resident at the time. I did not apply to other schools outside of TX as my wife works in Austin.

This year I will applying 26 schools including the 3 TX schools and will be a resident. My gpa is low for undergrad but includes many courses when I was an engineer major that are not part of the prereq's. Hopefully, I'll get an interview this year to hopefully explain myself.

I think being a resident will significantly increase your chances. Good luck! Just out of curiosity, why did you decided to switch from PT to dentistry? Did you not like it?

I think being a resident will significantly increase your chances. Good luck! Just out of curiosity, why did you decided to switch from PT to dentistry? Did you not like it?

For me, I want more responsibility and want to use my hands more than PT allows unless you lack ethics and do manual techniques b/c they bill better in most states. I like the idea of doing surgery without spending 6-10 years in residency like MD/DO's.

And thanks for the words of encouragement...good luck as well.

I have 2 questions guys... please help..

For the TMDSAS application.. do you put Genetics and Human Physiology under "Other Science" or "Bio Lec"? Thanks.

Where do you put AP credits? Under the main institution, I'm assuming?

I have 2 questions guys... please help..

For the TMDSAS application.. do you put Genetics and Human Physiology under "Other Science" or "Bio Lec"? Thanks.

Where do you put AP credits? Under the main institution, I'm assuming?

I think it goes under "Bio Lec". I could be wrong though

Overall 3.407
Science 3.282
DAT 21/21/21

How do my chances sound? I'm really nervous about the 3.282 as my science gpa

Overall 3.407
Science 3.282
DAT 21/21/21

How do my chances sound? I'm really nervous about the 3.282 as my science gpa

IMO, if you are Texas resident and you have upper level biology courses in your record. you will be in! Don't worry a lot about your GPA. check predents.com people got acceptance around your GPA and even less! focus on the rest of your application. you are in safe zoon.
good luck :thumbup:

ditto to what danny said. with a very solid DAT (your gpa is decent enough, i'd only worry if you were 3.0 and below), your foot is already in the door. you just need to prepare for the interviews and make sure you don't neglect the personal statement, LOR, etc. you should be fine.

did anyone answer these 2 optional essays? :\

1. Briefly discuss any unique circumstances or life experiences that are relevant to your application which have not previously been presented.

and

2. Please describe any personal characteristics and/or important or challenging experiences you have had that will contribute to the diversity of or provide educational benefits to the student body.

I don't know what to do with these 2 prompts. How did/do you guys answer them? :D

did anyone get in without having to answer them? :x

IMO, if you are Texas resident and you have upper level biology courses in your record. you will be in! Don't worry a lot about your GPA. check predents.com people got acceptance around your GPA and even less! focus on the rest of your application. you are in safe zoon.
good luck :thumbup:

thanks alot, that really boosts my confidence and gives me assurance =]

did anyone get in without having to answer them? :x

I did not answer them, and I was accepted to all 3 schools December 1st, 2006. I believe they are optional, so schools cannot deny you admission on the basis of not answering the additional essays.

I have a question for people got accepted in Texas schools.
in your interview, did the schools ask about your plan before dental school start? or they suggest you take some specific courses before dental school start? thanks