****2009 Tmdsas***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a question for people got accepted in Texas schools.
in your interview, did the schools ask about your plan before dental school start? or they suggest you take some specific courses before dental school start? thanks

Neither Baylor or SA asked about my plans before dental school started. Baylor however suggested that I take histology because I hadn't taken it. But from talking with other people they recommended to everyone that they take additional higher level bio classes. (I think this answers your question).

Members don't see this ad.

Neither Baylor or SA asked about my plans before dental school started. Baylor however suggested that I take histology because I hadn't taken it. But from talking with other people they recommended to everyone that they take additional higher level bio classes. (I think this answers your question).

Thanks for you reply.

Quick question based off of something that I read in the TMDSAS 2008 thread...

When registering for the DAT, do we need to have ADA send scores to all three TX schools or just one? Either way, it's just going to be sent to TMDSAS, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question based off of something that I read in the TMDSAS 2008 thread...

When registering for the DAT, do we need to have ADA send scores to all three TX schools or just one? Either way, it's just going to be sent to TMDSAS, right?

u have to send it to all three schools i believe, and they in turn will put the scores in the TMDSAS system to access.

u have to send it to all three schools i believe, and they in turn will put the scores in the TMDSAS system to access.

Wouldn't just sending it to one school result in the scores showing up in the TMDSAS system?

Wouldn't just sending it to one school result in the scores showing up in the TMDSAS system?

http://www.utsystem.edu/TMDSAS/ApplicationInstructions.htm#AdmissionsTests

Dental School Applicants:

The Dental Admission Test, DAT , is required for admission to dental school. The DAT must be taken within the last five years. A test score from a DAT taken before 2004 will not be considered for the 2009 entry year application. The DAT must be taken before December 1 of the application year to be considered for the current application cycle. Dental schools begin making offers of admission December 1st; therefore, waiting to take the DAT until that late date will delay any consideration for admission until after your test scores are released.

Applicants are required to request their DAT scores be released to each of the dental schools they are applying with. All DAT scores released to the three Texas dental schools will automatically be sent to TMDSAS.

http://www.utsystem.edu/TMDSAS/ApplicationInstructions.htm#AdmissionsTests

Dental School Applicants:

The Dental Admission Test, DAT , is required for admission to dental school. The DAT must be taken within the last five years. A test score from a DAT taken before 2004 will not be considered for the 2009 entry year application. The DAT must be taken before December 1 of the application year to be considered for the current application cycle. Dental schools begin making offers of admission December 1st; therefore, waiting to take the DAT until that late date will delay any consideration for admission until after your test scores are released.

Applicants are required to request their DAT scores be released to each of the dental schools they are applying with. All DAT scores released to the three Texas dental schools will automatically be sent to TMDSAS.
Okay, thanks for clarifying.:D :thumbup:

I have question for people accepted(or got interview) other than three Texas dental schools.
which schools did you apply and had at least interview?
thanks

Did anyone in here apply to only 1 TX dental school and got in? :\

If yes, what were your stats? :D

Done with my transcripts.
It took almost 5 hours. I had to go 5 schools for my trancript. it is ridiculous going to three different Dallas County CC for transcript( practically all three transcript are exact same!). next step LOR's.
good luck

Done with my transcripts.
It took almost 5 hours. I had to go 5 schools for my trancript. it is ridiculous going to three different Dallas County CC for transcript( practically all three transcript are exact same!). next step LOR's.
good luck

Haha nice, I've got 2 of my 3 transcripts done. I've just been faxing in the tmdsas paper that goes along with it so I don't have to physically go to the schools. I hope that works...

Haha nice, I've got 2 of my 3 transcripts done. I've just been faxing in the tmdsas paper that goes along with it so I don't have to physically go to the schools. I hope that works...

maybe it works for TMDSAS but make sure it works for AADSAS too if you are applying to out of states schools. good luck anyway

Hey guys, I applied last cycle, 2008, and found this site really helpful, especially the interview feedback section. I interviewed at all three texas schools and was accepted to all three. Let me know if you have any questions about anything: interviews, applications, etc... A previous poster had the following questions, here are my responses:
Q1: What was your Stats? 18AA, 18TS, cGPA=3.62, sGPA=3.5, Bachelor of Scince in Biology

Q2: what factor/s is important for each school? In other hand what they are looking for? Or which factor has more weight for each school?

SA: Dont know if one factor is overall important, my impression is that they seem to look for well rounded students. Having EC's and other activities during undergrad.

Baylor: From what i gathered from the interview, and having participated in their summer pre-dental program, Baylor really emphasizes the reading comp section of the DAT

Houston: Same as SA

Q3: how late did you apply and got an interview /acceptance? When did you take your DAT? I started the application very early. My experience with this has been the earlier you apply the better. But, applying early doesnt necesarily mean you get an interview. I know people that applied fairly late and still had an interview. I interviews at SA on the first day they were conducting interviews and there were others there that had applied way later than I did

Q4: What is the specific character for interview in each school?
Each of the three interviews were VERY laid back and relaxed. I really did enjoyed myself (after I got over being nervous). The schools do a great job of trying to ease the nervousness. If you have any specific questions about the interviews, send me a message. Ide be more than happy to let you know more details.

Q5: in addition to those three schools, which other schools did you apply and got interview/acceptance? None

Q6: did you have any interview the year prior to your acceptance year?
No

Q7: do you have something to add to these questions for helping for 2009 cycle?
Just overall, be yourself. This makes the process much easier. I went to various websites and looked at interview questions, eventhough I wasnt asked anything about curent trends in dentistry, i still reviewed some current tecnological advances, research innovations, etc... Make sure you know your application.

Good luck everyone, I hope this helps you. Again, if you have any other questions, just message me and I will try and respond in a timely manner.

Members don't see this ad :)
Q1: 18 AA, 19 PAT, 3.5/3.4, was 2 classes away from earning B.S. Music, but upon acceptance left school to save money and to take science classes back home in houston, so "No Degree"
Q2: Baylor told me they weren't interested in me because I didn't have enough upper division science classes, and my DAT wasn't good enough. (I have almost enough science classes for a B.S. in Biology, so I'm not quite sure what Dr. Miller meant by that...?)
Houston said lots of upper division science was important
San Antonio would not talk to me at all, said it would be "unfair to other applicants" if she gave me any advice on what to do to improve my application
Q3: Sent TMDSAS in around August 3rd, interviewed in Houston in November, interviewed Midwestern in October, interviewed Loma Linda in November, interviewed LSU in december. Accepted: LSU, UT Houston, Rejected: Midwestern, Loma Linda, and 13 others. :) (2 for 4 in interviews)
Q4: Houston interview was enjoyable and pleasant. I was never put on the spot and my interviewer seemed genuine and completely sincere about getting to know me and why I wanted to be a dentist.
Q5: I applied to all 3 texas schools, and about 14 others, mostly the private ones who take out-of-state people more often, although I did waste my money applying to state schools like Colorado, Florida, and Tenn. If I had it to do over again I would only apply in-state and private schools.
Q6: First time applied, so N/A
Q7: I would say if you want to make a good impression on the dental school which grants you an interview, know several things about the school. For example, I should have known Houston was building a whole new building BEFORE my interview, etc. I would think knowing tid-bits about the school would show them that you are serious and you want to go there. Also, in ALL FOUR of my interviews I was asked why I applied to so many other schools. My response was "Well, I just REALLY want to be a dentist."

Hi, I am studying DAT for mid July. I think group study is excelent way to learn .Anybody in same situation and want to study in group? specially after hours when bookstores and coffe shops are closed. if you are interested PM me please.

lol It is funny the schools or application centers don't upgrade the information in their website and use old data. for example read this part of TMDSAS 2009 cycle:

"Official Transcripts:
*Note: This section will not be considered complete until TMDSAS has received all transcripts from each institution attended. We must also have received a transcript reflecting your Spring 2007 grades. Keep in mind that if you have interviewed with any school you must send updated transcripts to TMDSAS at the end of each semester/quarter that new coursework has been completed between the time you submit your application and the time you matriculate into medical/dental/vet school."
and we know of course:
spring 2007 means spring 2008 ! :laugh:

it sucks, my GPA 3.42/3.29. it upgraded today. B in Genetics and C in biochemistry dropped my GPA almost .10 points!. :(
did you check your status?

I got an email from TMDSAS today. they sent my application to the schools.

Last edited:
TMDSAS got My 2 LOE letters. Waiting for my Dentist letter, she is out of town. It will be next month.

I have a question. How soon after the schools get your applications do they start processing it themselves? Might be a dumb question but just wondering.

hey guys, i just recently taken my DATs and applying via TMDSAS for the 3 texas schools.

PA:21
QR:17
RC:18
BIO:18
GCHEM:19
OCHEM:20
TS:19
AA:18

overall GPA: 3.68
sci GPA: 3.6

ECs include many hours of shadowing, volunteering at the hospital, mentoring/tutoring elementary kids, leadership positions in a fraternity, pre-dental society membership, future undergraduate lab assistant for bio lab, etc.

I was just wondering what you guys thought of my chances are for a Texas school and any feedback or advice about my DAT scores. I appreciate it very much. thanks!

Hi All,

I also have recently applied. Let me know what you think! I have a low science GPA and I think my DAT is about average, I am planning to retake it. Also, can you be waitlisted if they are waiting for your 2nd DAT score? Is that possible?

DAT

TS: 17
AA: 19
QR:21
RC:23
OC:19
GC:16
B:15

Overall GPA: 3.74
Science GPA: 3.29

I have a question. How soon after the schools get your applications do they start processing it themselves? Might be a dumb question but just wondering.

I think Baylor strats in July, San Antonio and Houston in Agust or later. please somebody corect me if I am wrong.

hey guys, i just recently taken my DATs and applying via TMDSAS for the 3 texas schools.

ECs include many hours of shadowing, volunteering at the hospital, mentoring/tutoring elementary kids, leadership positions in a fraternity, pre-dental society membership, future undergraduate lab assistant for bio lab, etc.

I was just wondering what you guys thought of my chances are for a Texas school and any feedback or advice about my DAT scores. I appreciate it very much. thanks!

Last year people with your stats got acceptance. You can check predents.com but who knows!
good luck

tawaqul: I think you have a good GPA, but your DAT is mediocre. Is this your first time applying? If it is, I think you'll get an interview. Though you have to apply early. Nowadays to be competitive, DAT scores need to be at least 19. You total science is low, especially biology. I recommend you retake the DAT. Don't rush it. Take a couple months to study for it, if not longer. Take it slowly and seriously. If you can get your scores in the 19 or higher (I mean all the sections in that range), then I think you're pretty set for dental school. Unless you bombed the interviews.

ambitioussgb: You GPA is good. Your overall GPA and science GPA are about the same, thats great! It shows you're well rounded. Dental schools love to see well rounded students. However, your DAT is also mediocre. Based on your scores, you just need 0.1 more (right now it's 18.4) and you'll get a 19 on the AA section. Even with a AA of 18, I think that'll get you enough interviews. Is this your first time applying also? If it is, make sure you have good LORs, good personal statement, and of course apply early.

Guys, at the moment, I think it's the interview that decides whether or not you will get in. You gotta show the admission committee that dental school is between life and death! Because your GPA and DAT scores are only average. I'm comparing that to the matriculation scores. Now the average Texas matriculation GPA is 3.6 and DAT about 19.5. So, with that in mind, you guys gotta do well on your interview(s). Be prepared, be active in the process, and of course be honest! I would recommend you guys browse the mentor section of this forum. There, it has a great section for pre-dents about the application and interviewing process. Please keep in mind I'm only speaking from personal experience and given an honest answer. Good luck to everyone!

ur scores are not mediocre in any sense. you should have no problem getting into one of the texas schools or a dental school for that matter. and your GPA is solid, relax and enjoy the ride.

Just thought I would wish everyone good luck on the application cycle! It's a tough grind but well worth it once it's over!

For those of you who are stat-rapers: congrats on your hard work so far but don't take the app process lightly! The schools look at more than just numbers and don't walk on to a school for an interview with the mentality of "when do i start" just b/c you have a 3.9 and a 22 or something. Go on confident, not cocky :)

For those of you who have more human scores: Do not worry! Make sure the rest of your application is solid, submit early, and when those interview notices start arriving, get excited! Just remember, THEY chose YOU for an interview, so your stats/app got you that far. Now it's up to you to prove to them that they made the RIGHT choice! Again, go in confident! Don't drive yourself crazy by thinking "why am I here? I'm sure all of these people have 4.0/ 25's!" That won't help you! Remember, the adcoms felt that you had a right to be there, so be yourself, be honest, passionate, confident, and modest, and you'll be fine!

Again, good luck ya'll! (had to throw in the "ya'll"...i mean it IS the TEXASmdsas thread ;))
:thumbup::thumbup:

tawaqul: I think you have a good GPA, but your DAT is mediocre. Is this your first time applying? If it is, I think you'll get an interview. Though you have to apply early. Nowadays to be competitive, DAT scores need to be at least 19. You total science is low, especially biology. I recommend you retake the DAT. Don't rush it. Take a couple months to study for it, if not longer. Take it slowly and seriously. If you can get your scores in the 19 or higher (I mean all the sections in that range), then I think you're pretty set for dental school. Unless you bombed the interviews.

!

Yes this is my first time applying. I don't know if it was just my exam, but the bio section was CRAZY. On Kaplan I was making 19's and all of a sudden came a 15 on the real thing. Oh well, I'm retaking it and hopefully will do better, I kind of feel like I don't know what to do with myself at the moment. I studied with Kaplan the first time and now I'm almost convinced I need to buy hundreds of dollars worth of other books and TopScore etc. :cool:

Does anyone have an answer to my 2nd question in my first post? Thanks!!

Also, can you be waitlisted if they are waiting for your 2nd DAT score? Is that possible?
If I understand you right, by the time you are on the waitlist, the schools already have all your scores. So, that means your first DAT score got you the interview and then the waitlist. You can retake the DAT for a 2nd time while you are on the waitlist, but the new scores will not be updated on that past year's profile (not certain about this).
Anyway, about your DAT. Yes, try to do as many problems as you can. Get that TopScore. Get yourself as many practice exams as you can. Don't be discouraged, you still have plenty of time. Besides, it's your first time. Don't rush. Remember, the DAT section in this forum is a great resource! It helped me tremendously! Don't miss out. Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm just curious.. where did everybody go for Undergrad? :D

hey guys just found the post for TMDSAS and i guess imma jump in here too. (i see you are already on here alvin haha)

i have ****ty gpa bc played around too much but hopefully going up trend and decent DAT will get me to the interview process =\

good luck everyone and lets keep this post alive

oh and i go to UT

any letter or email from schools about recieving the application? :cool:

I was just wondering, maybe I'm confused, but what difference would it make to apply early if you are retaking the DAT and the schools probably will not consider you until they get the 2nd score? Won't they just see my app as late because I'm retaking in a couple months? :confused:

Sorry, just not sure how this all works.

Thanks in advance!

i think the difference it can make it that, if you are retaking your DAT then it means you have your old DAT on the file so they can go ahead and process your application as of now or wait for your new DAT scores to come in and decide to invite you for an interview or not.
also, i applied before taking my DAT because i know it takes couple of weeks for them to process everything so i wanted to have everything ready right when they receive my DAT score, in that way I could waste the least amount of days before my application is complete.

I submitted my TMDSAS on March 27, and it was sent out June 18th, and I took my DAT on June 16th so now all they have to do is way for DAT score to get in.

I think it's just safer to have everything done before your DAT (if you can fit in your studying time), which also gives you more time to relax and play once you're done with your DAT! (so you can be done once you're done with DAT instead of working on your applicaiton)

i think the difference it can make it that, if you are retaking your DAT then it means you have your old DAT on the file so they can go ahead and process your application as of now or wait for your new DAT scores to come in and decide to invite you for an interview or not.
also, i applied before taking my DAT because i know it takes couple of weeks for them to process everything so i wanted to have everything ready right when they receive my DAT score, in that way I could waste the least amount of days before my application is complete.

I submitted my TMDSAS on March 27, and it was sent out June 18th, and I took my DAT on June 16th so now all they have to do is way for DAT score to get in.

I think it's just safer to have everything done before your DAT (if you can fit in your studying time), which also gives you more time to relax and play once you're done with your DAT! (so you can be done once you're done with DAT instead of working on your applicaiton)

you mean May 27th am I right?

I have a quick question in regards to applying out of state. Would applying to about 5 school out of states in addition to TMDSAS schools be detrimental in anyway? i.e. they value you less than a person who only applies to the 3 TX schools? Maybe they weigh you less than the others because you've applied more out of state? Thanks!

I have a quick question in regards to applying out of state. Would applying to about 5 school out of states in addition to TMDSAS schools be detrimental in anyway? i.e. they value you less than a person who only applies to the 3 TX schools? Maybe they weigh you less than the others because you've applied more out of state? Thanks!

No they Don't
IMO, It is very normal people apply fore out of states Schools. don't make my mistake. last year i appied just 3 Texas schools. i got one interview but not acceptance. choose your other schools smart and good luck

any news from Texas Schools?!

Only mails I have received from schools are ones that say they have received my application and it's in process of being reviewed and they will select and invite competitive applicants. i highly doubt they have any other information (about interviews and etc.) ready yet

Only mails I have received from schools are ones that say they have received my application and it's in process of being reviewed and they will select and invite competitive applicants. i highly doubt they have any other information (about interviews and etc.) ready yet

I received Nothing from schools. just I received a letter from TMDSAS that mailed out my application . When did you submit your application?

I got a letter from Baylor yesterday , saying they received my application and NOT FURTHER INFORMATION IS REQUIRED. :)
waiting for Houston and San Antonio.

I got a letter from SA, so I'm waiting on Baylor and Houston. It's silly, but I was nervous reading that they had simply received my application!:p

I received a letter from SA. they got my application. waiting for Houston Email. :)

anybody heard from Houston? I got letter from Baylor and SA but nothing from Houston.
I know they will email not sending mail. anybody got Houston email?

anybody heard from Houston? I got letter from Baylor and SA but nothing from Houston.
I know they will email not sending mail. anybody got Houston email?

From what I remember last year, I heard from SA first, then Baylor, then Houston. Houston was a little slower in terms of emails, interviews, etc. It's actually kind of nice, they don't spam you with superfluous info and get your hopes up. They send you what's important when it's important.

Best of luck!

From what I remember last year, I heard from SA first, then Baylor, then Houston. Houston was a little slower in terms of emails, interviews, etc. It's actually kind of nice, they don't spam you with superfluous info and get your hopes up. They send you what's important when it's important.

Best of luck!

Thanks, buddy.

By July 3rd last year I had my invite to San Antonio for my interview on August 13th... just FYI. So invites should be starting soon! Good luck everyone!

By July 3rd last year I had my invite to San Antonio for my interview on August 13th... just FYI. So invites should be starting soon! Good luck everyone!

wow, when did you apply?

wow, when did you apply?

I applied end of May/early June last year... Had the letter for my interview before July 4th. SA started their interviews August 6th last year... a Monday. I interviewed the next week (second group).

Baylor started a few days later and Houston started the week after Baylor and SA.

Last edited:
for people retaking DAT. When you are writting your DAT? and what was your last year score?
lets I answer first.
I am writting mine in July 19th. my last year score was 20/19/15.