2010-2011 East Tennessee (Quillen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same question as tropicalkitty...are interviews given on the same schedule as acceptances (by this i mean depending on committee meetings) or is it a separate process?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understood from the interview day... There is a committee meeting once per month. If you get accepted, you will be notified within 1 to 2 weeks. If you dont, you get revisited on the next committee meeting. Any committee member can speak to any candidate at any time. I don't think there are any outright rejections, so I think you get considered until the end of the interview season, and reject notices will be given.

I can't recall specifics, sorry, I'm salvaging that from my somewhat flustered memory of the experience :) hope that helps.

they told us at the interview that "hold is the best we can hope for" this early in the season... but also that they could unofficially "recommend" acceptances before October 15 and inform the applicants of that.

Does this mean that anyone who interviews now (after Oct 15) can expect a straightforward accept/reject/waitlist decision within a month of their interview (a month being the maximum possible if the interview occurs the day after the committee holds their once-a-month meeting)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Acceptance letter came today, dated Mon. Oct 18. Looks like they are sending them out before the 25th. Good luck everyone!

Acceptance letter came today, dated Mon. Oct 18. Looks like they are sending them out before the 25th. Good luck everyone!

Congrats on the acceptance!

Do you mind sharing location? I'm up in MI so wondering how long I might have to wait... now there's another mailbox for me to check compulsively :p.

Congrats on the acceptance!

Do you mind sharing location? I'm up in MI so wondering how long I might have to wait... now there's another mailbox for me to check compulsively :p.

I'm in TN, so I'm sure it arrived earlier here than most places. Best of luck =)

Does this mean that anyone who interviews now (after Oct 15) can expect a straightforward accept/reject/waitlist decision within a month of their interview (a month being the maximum possible if the interview occurs the day after the committee holds their once-a-month meeting)?
That is my impression, SunCrusher.

But now that D8O8 got an acceptance letter dated before their Oct. 25th meeting date, I'm not so sure about how they're doing things. And anxious/hopeful for a letter myself!

That is my impression, SunCrusher.

But now that D8O8 got an acceptance letter dated before their Oct. 25th meeting date, I'm not so sure about how they're doing things. And anxious/hopeful for a letter myself!

My impression was that the school is a fan of the "holding" category (pretty much limbo, not equivalent to wait list), especially for applicants who interview early in the cycle - their class size is small and they like to keep it that way, so they don't want to over-admit and miss out on a great fit later. Hoping that I'll come out of the hold category today... GL to everyone else!

Perhaps now that the app season is busiest they are meeting weekly or something? But the 18th is also following the 15th which was the AAMC date for releasing acceptances and the EDP stuff, so that may just be the simple explanation for those letters.

Congrats to those of you accepted!

And :xf: for the rest of us hoping for interviews!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the 18th release is all the EDP applicants. Like Doug told us, they meet at the end of each month and make a decision then. ( Except this month. We got to wait an extra week due to bad storms knocking their power out...only in Tennessee!) Those receiving prior were probably EDP applicants whose acceptances could be released per AAMC rules.

Of course, EDP... forgot about that!

Stupid power outage, did it really put their meeting off for another week?!

Their "limbo" category takes away some of the advantage of applying early. Oh well... for a smaller class size it makes sense. It just makes me feel impatient right now.

I think the 18th release is all the EDP applicants. Like Doug told us, they meet at the end of each month and make a decision then. ( Except this month. We got to wait an extra week due to bad storms knocking their power out...only in Tennessee!) Those receiving prior were probably EDP applicants whose acceptances could be released per AAMC rules.

The 18th release date per AAMC rules was for acceptance of regular applicants. I am not EDP and received acceptance to ETSU. The letter was dated the 18th.

So this power outage...this postponed the 25th meeting? I think here in the Nash area Sunday night we had some good storms (other than that line yesterday). I guess it got worse out in East TN?

Yes, the storms were worse in Johnson City. All three of my sisters go to ETSU and one texted me during her chem lab to tell the power went out all over campus for the rest of the day. Her classes got cancelled. :)

So this power outage...this postponed the 25th meeting? I think here in the Nash area Sunday night we had some good storms (other than that line yesterday). I guess it got worse out in East TN?

So, does anyone know when the meeting got postponed to?

Acceptance letter in the mail today! Super excited right now - I'm gonna be a doctor! Good luck to everyone else waiting, I'm sure you'll hear good news soon ;).

Letter was sent on October 18th, so I guess it just took a while to reach me in Michigan. Don't lose hope yet if you haven't gotten a letter...

Acceptance letter in the mail today! Super excited right now - I'm gonna be a doctor! Good luck to everyone else waiting, I'm sure you'll hear good news soon ;).

Letter was sent on October 18th, so I guess it just took a while to reach me in Michigan. Don't lose hope yet if you haven't gotten a letter...
All right Wiingy! Congrats!

So, does anyone know when the meeting got postponed to?

I'm not sure if the meeting was canceled but I know that the power outage only affected the main campus. The VA campus (Med School, Pharm School, Physical Therapy Program) still had classes.

I'm guessing since the VA campus still had classes, they still had the meeting.

EDIT: A little off topic but I saw an interesting article on ETSU's site this morning. "Quillen creates new Standardized Patient Center for student training"

Last edited:
No they did not have the meeting, they sent an e-mail saying that the meeting was postponed to November 1st.

No they did not have the meeting, they sent an e-mail saying that the meeting was postponed to November 1st.

I assume this email only went out to those already interviewed.

I'm still waiting on some ETSU love! Maybe they know that I usually take a winter trip to the mountains and that's why they're waiting on getting to me... They're trying to save me the extra driving time! haha Really, I don't mind making a special trip.

Sorry Armywife and equios! At least you still have a chance - it wasn't a flat out rejection.

Still waiting for a response, just called Quillen, letters are being sent today. So i am gathering that holds are sent by email and acceptance/rejection are by mail? Does anyone know if it is certified?!

Anyone know if interview offers were discussed at the meeting?

Still waiting for a response, just called Quillen, letters are being sent today. So i am gathering that holds are sent by email and acceptance/rejection are by mail? Does anyone know if it is certified?!

I know that holds are sent by email and the acceptances are sent by mail (which is certified - signature is required upon receipt). I am not sure about rejections however

Anyone know if interview offers were discussed at the meeting?

I also want this verified

But, from what I gather from previous posts, the interview invites are based on the reviewers assigned to us getting through our files. If they all (or enough) of the reviewers think we should be interviewed then we'll get the invite. So basically, we have to wait until the reviewers finish reviewing, which is independent of the adcom meeting.

Agree? Disagree? :confused:

Anybody have any idea if they sent out a mass "hold list" email this morning, or are they going through people individually and sending out emails?

I know that holds are sent by email and the acceptances are sent by mail (which is certified - signature is required upon receipt). I am not sure about rejections however

From what they told me, I was under the impression that rejections and acceptances would be sent my Z-mail.

Hey, does anyone know if the acceptance letters are sent through U.S. postal mail? A med student at Quillen mentioned that his letter came through UPS, but he may have just misspoke.

Anyone in Johnson City still waiting? I thought, living less than ten minutes from Quillen, I might have heard something by now since admissions said they sent the letters out Wednesday.

Thanks!

Hmmm.... so 39 on hold, 25 accepted. Total of 64 students...with 61 interviews granted. Umm.....what?

Wow. Either they miscounted or... Skipped interviewing some applicants? Strange!

Edit: Just think, some of those 25 + 4 accepted might not know it yet :O I bet tomorrow, Monday at the latest, the next people will be getting some ETSU mail...

Last edited:
It gets stranger now that I look at OOS... 9 interviews, 7 wait-listed, 4 accepted. Extra 2 candidates out of nowhere.... So a potential of 5 candidates who never interviewed but were on-hold/accepted? Strange, man, strange! That or someone needs to double-check their numbers before posting.

I know there was at least one acceptance from our year (class of 2014) who deferred. So I assume that accounts for one of those that might not seem to add up? I'm not sure if there were others, and I don't know about the rest of the math. Hope everyone hears something good soon! For the record, I received my acceptance via US Postal Service (maybe the student meant USPS?).. it was a certified letter, regular size. Good luck everyone!!

The postman dropped off a notice at the house that says I have certified mail that needs to be picked up...and of course the post office is closed. Sweet life. Could it be a certified rejection..or can I be happy!?

My understanding is that only acceptances come by certified mail. Rejections come via regular mail. Most likely, you can be happy.

Wow. Either they miscounted or... Skipped interviewing some applicants? Strange!

Edit: Just think, some of those 25 + 4 accepted might not know it yet :O I bet tomorrow, Monday at the latest, the next people will be getting some ETSU mail...
It is my understanding that at most (if not all) med schools in the US you cannot get in without going through the interview process. It is likely there is either a miscount/a misrepresentation of the count/students deferring from the previous year. :idea:

They had a guaranteed admittance program for some undergrads at ETSU who would obviously not have to interview for a spot. This could possibly explain the discrepancy in their interview/acceptance numbers.

Ok, that would make more sense. As I sit here desperately waiting for a letter, I kind of wish I had done something like a guaranteed admittance program myself! I don't think my college (UT-Knoxville) had one though... if they did, I was never aware of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.