2010-2011 East Tennessee (Quillen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just threw my hat in :xf:. I am OOS and was invited to complete the 2nd way back in December. The deadline is today :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

So last I heard, the admissions committee is meeting Jan 31. Let's all hope for some good news.

good luck to all. I spoke to admissions today and it sounds like there are only a few (maybe 2) more admissions meetings. Still on the hold list myself..anyone else? Keeping my fingers crossed...

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck to all. I spoke to admissions today and it sounds like there are only a few (maybe 2) more admissions meetings. Still on the hold list myself..anyone else? Keeping my fingers crossed...

I'm there with you....

Just stopping by to check on this thread, which I used to visit multiple times per day!

I really wonder why some of you aren't in yet! Especially Sun, I had the idea for some reason that we have very similar stats (?). Quillen was my first interview and I'm pretty sure I was a nervous wreck, looking back. I also had an LOR from a teacher I hardly knew. Hopefully that can give somebody reason to be optimistic! More spots will be opening up as people withdraw... Keep hope alive! I'm crossing my fingers for you!

I believe the admissions committee is meeting today. Good luck to everyone still waiting! Hopefully some of us will be receiving some cert. mail this week!

Just stopping by to check on this thread, which I used to visit multiple times per day!

I really wonder why some of you aren't in yet! Especially Sun, I had the idea for some reason that we have very similar stats (?). Quillen was my first interview and I'm pretty sure I was a nervous wreck, looking back. I also had an LOR from a teacher I hardly knew. Hopefully that can give somebody reason to be optimistic! More spots will be opening up as people withdraw... Keep hope alive! I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Any advice for those of us that are interviewing soon?

Any advice for those of us that are interviewing soon?
Hmmm... if there's any way you can keep your nerves calm and just enjoy the day, and take it all in calmly, you'll probably do better than me. I can't say much useful about interview specifics, because everyone has different interviewers who each have their own approaches. Obviously, be ready to answer things like "why medicine," "why Quillen," "tell me about yourself..." otherwise there's not much rehearsing for it, they could ask anything! My interviewers were both pretty nice and easy on me, but apparently some others were tougher. Good luck! Breathe, you'll do fine!

Well Quillen's ADCOM meet yesterday and if you were put on the waitlist you'll receive an email from them. waitlinst, that should be a 4 letter word.:) I guess at least I don't have to camp out at the mailbox this week

When did you interview? I interviewed Nov 8 and got put on the active hold list and didn't get an email verifying that I'm on the list recently. What time did you get the email? Is it time to start checking my mail 5 times a day haha (but seriously)?

Last edited:
I got the email at 10:35 this morning. Just happy to stay in contention Quillen is a great school, but not many seats for us OSSers

When did you interview? I interviewed Nov 8 and got put on the active hold list and didn't get an email verifying that I'm on the list recently. What time did you get the email? Is it time to start checking my mail 5 times a day haha (but seriously)?

You probably won't get an email if you've already received one. It should just be for those who interviewed recently or since the last adcom meeting I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on 19 Jan. They say that the ADCOM has the option to review files in the hold catagory at anytime, but I would n't expect them to untill all the interviews have been completed. So if you're on the hold list, just be patient (I know, easier said than done)

I interviewed on 19 Jan. They say that the ADCOM has the option to review files in the hold catagory at anytime, but I would n't expect them to untill all the interviews have been completed. So if you're on the hold list, just be patient (I know, easier said than done)

No I think Akr was on the hold list and already got accepted off it (correct me if I'm wrong)

Thank you sarcrewman.
Hey Suncrusher....did you get a hold email? And does anyone remember how many will be in their class this year and when they stop interviewing?

Last edited:
Has anyone ever received a call from Quillen before they were accepted? My application/interview was evaluated in yesterday's (Jan 31st) ad.com. meeting, and I have not received an email stating that I have been placed on the hold list, but I did have a missed call from ETSU (not necessarily Quillen - it was the generic ETSU number that shows up on the caller ID when any ETSU number calls). Offices were closed when I tried to return the call. Has anyone ever had a phone call from the admission's office?

Hi richmd,

There have been others who have said they are called when accepted. No promises, but sounds like a good sign. Congrats if so!

No news, but Quillen has updated the Entering Class Statistics page

i guess they had a meeting at the end of jan?? i haven't seena anyone post about recent acceptances, so i have no clue. I do know they updated their statistics page. ive personally been on hold since october, no news has been good news i guess, but at this point i'm ready to hear something...good or bad.

i guess they had a meeting at the end of jan?? i haven't seena anyone post about recent acceptances, so i have no clue. I do know they updated their statistics page. ive personally been on hold since october, no news has been good news i guess, but at this point i'm ready to hear something...good or bad.

I'm in the same boat. I interviewed on the very first day of interviews. Put me on hold. Not a word since. Anyone know when the next ADCOM meeting is? I didn't hear anything after the Jan. 31 meeting.

I'm in the same boat. I interviewed on the very first day of interviews. Put me on hold. Not a word since. Anyone know when the next ADCOM meeting is? I didn't hear anything after the Jan. 31 meeting.

I figured they would meet at the end of most months, so maybe end of feb? I'm shooting to get some feedback early march, although the endless streak of not knowing might continue.....:confused:

They met end of Jan. and are scheduled to meet the last day of Feb. I believe. And I am pretty sure there are scheduled interviews in March, so most likely they will be meeting sometime in March I would suspect.

So is not hearing anything good...bad...meaningless? Does not hearing anything mean we are "making the cut"?

So is not hearing anything good...bad...meaningless? Does not hearing anything mean we are "making the cut"?

No news is good news. It means that you have a chance to "make the cut".

So does anyone know when the admissions committee is meeting? Best of luck to everyone.

has anyone heard anything regarding the monday adcom meeting? i just havent seen much discussion concerning received letters

I know "active hold category" emails went out for those who interviewed in February, as for acceptances/rejections I have not heard anything from anyone.

Hi Everyone,

So I called admissions today to ask about my status (active hold since November) and they told me no one came off the list this time around. As always, they were very nice on the phone, which is a pleasant change from other schools. They have currently accepted a full class size and will not accept more until people withdraw their acceptance, from my understanding.
For those of you who have been through this process before, what do you think our chances are of getting accepted off the list? Do many people forgo their acceptance to Quillen to go elsewhere?

Hi Everyone,

So I called admissions today to ask about my status (active hold since November) and they told me no one came off the list this time around. As always, they were very nice on the phone, which is a pleasant change from other schools. They have currently accepted a full class size and will not accept more until people withdraw their acceptance, from my understanding.
For those of you who have been through this process before, what do you think our chances are of getting accepted off the list? Do many people forgo their acceptance to Quillen to go elsewhere?

Quillen has a page with statistics of the entering class. At the bottom of the page is the statistics for last year's entering class. The page quit working a few days ago (I expect because they are updating it with information from Monday's meeting), but I have a screen shot of it. Last year's entering class statistics show that they ended up offering 130 total acceptances. If about the same holds true this year, then 58 accepted people have already declined their acceptances or will end up declining their acceptances to go to other schools, thus opening up 58 spots throughout the process. Some of those 58 declined well before this point in the process, so don't think that 58 of those who currently hold slots for next year's class are going to withdraw.

For purposes of looking at the attached chart, last year's class had 71 people. This year's has 72 (I think). All of my math with the "58" is obviously for a class of 72.

Attachments

• 2010 statistics.jpg
    2010 statistics.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Hi richmd,

Thank you for the response. From what I can remember, at least for instate, there were about 70 acceptances thus far for this cycle. Given that this year goes by the same withdrawn acceptance dynamic, shouldn't there be about 47 more acceptances? If so, when do you think those will happen? Thanks

New stat are up, 111 people currently on hold...

Does anyone know when the next adcom meeting is?

ok so adcom meeting today?? any hopes that kids come off the waitlist this time around?

Got my waitlist email today. Bummer.

Hold, or waitlist? I've been on hold since November, despite both my interviewers telling me they'd be recommending me : /

Either way, I'm sorry you got disappointing news. Best wishes for getting in. Although in my opinion, you're probably doing way better than me. At least they are sure they are willing to accept you if a slot opens up, whereas they still haven't even decided about me.

Same thing here Suncrusher. Do you think they are starting the waitlist this early?

Hold, or waitlist? I've been on hold since November, despite both my interviewers telling me they'd be recommending me : /

Either way, I'm sorry you got disappointing news. Best wishes for getting in. Although in my opinion, you're probably doing way better than me. At least they are sure they are willing to accept you if a slot opens up, whereas they still haven't even decided about me.

I said waitlist but it's actually the "active hold" category. I didn't even get an interview til March 3rd, so this was the first time they reviewed my file.

Good luck to you as well! I was very impressed with this school.

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure ETSU even has a waitlist other than the hold category. I think the hold category is as far as you can go without being accepted.

have we heard about anyone getting an acceptance from this past mondays adcom mtng? so curious!

have we heard about anyone getting an acceptance from this past mondays adcom mtng? so curious!

I'm guessing they would've sent acceptance/rejection letters the same day that they sent the hold emails, which according to rocher was yesterday, which means that people should know about acceptances/rejection letters today or tomorrow depending on proximity to JC.

Hi. I am from Bangladesh. I applied at biomedical science phd program this fall. Yet no response from etsu. Did anyone get any response?

I have heard nothing so far about ETSU....any recent acceptances or rejections that anyone has heard of?? Hmm...looks like more waiting for me until another adcom meeting, which I'm guessing is at the end of April?

Status
Not open for further replies.