2010-2011 Jefferson Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
man i really like this school tho.
If I got into NYC schools and this one I think I would have a really hard time, even tho the NYC schools are "better", i think i fit this school. I just hate how they r not pass/fail.

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone having trouble submitting their secondary? I have now typed my whole freaking "Is there any other information you'd like to add" essay and filled out the rest of the application 3 times and it gives me an error. I think the error that starts with this:

I thought it said the maximum characters was 4000 not 2000? What the heck.

sounds like they're techies ****ed up. Damn you had a lot to say lol
i'm still working on the "please explain your criminal record" essay =P

...jk

...jk

Well it's weird too because my essay was not actually 3014 characters, it was like 2400. Hmm. I'll try once more before I give up for today haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well it's weird too because my essay was not actually 3014 characters, it was like 2400. Hmm. I'll try once more before I give up for today haha.

good luck sir daniel

lol they;re entire secondary is like...

"so do your parents work at JEff?? what about your grandparents, your sister? brother?? what about your wife?? has she breathed Jeff's air?? did any of them study here? does your dog have a connection to Jeff?? we have a connection fetish, do you have a connection?? mmm connections"

my answer:
No.

I wonder if they'll care that my mom is a graduate of their nursing school... :shrug:

good luck sir daniel

Haha, it would be "Miss Daniel" actually :D And I just shortened my essay to 2000 and it submitted just fine. I'm still gonna let their office know about the 4000 vs. 2000 thing though, maybe it was 2000 last year and they forgot to change it? Or maybe they thought 4000 was too much and forgot to change that line of text. Who knows

...jk

lol.... I'm not...

anyone build a time machine that could take me back to freshman year yet? I need to undo some stuff.

Hope the adcoms liked to party..

Haha, it would be "Miss Daniel" actually :D And I just shortened my essay to 2000 and it submitted just fine. I'm still gonna let their office know about the 4000 vs. 2000 thing though, maybe it was 2000 last year and they forgot to change it? Or maybe they thought 4000 was too much and forgot to change that line of text. Who knows

oh my bad lol, its just that your name "sedaniel" kind of sounds like "sir daniel" if u say sir in a frenchy way. hope that makes sense to u lol.

GC the nursing thing qualifies. under the part that asks if u parents got degrees from Jeff

and NHB..story please:)

Hey guys,
Has anyone been able to submit their secondary recently?
I just tried and was told that the link was inactive. Maybe they don't want my money? :laugh:

I was able to verify my info, but could not submit it. If I have to retype my whole secondary again I am going to lose it!!

okay, so...after submitting the secondary and paying the fee, I went to check the status of my application.

It still displayed "paid fee: no; secondary submitted: no"

Did this happen to anyone else? Do I just have to wait for them to check whether it is complete manually and add my AMCAS LORs for these fields to say 'yes?'

Jeff can be a little slow at updating your status online. I think it took them a couple days to verify that my secondary was submitted. No worries.

Jeff can be a little slow at updating your status online. I think it took them a couple days to verify that my secondary was submitted. No worries.

Did you do the optional essay? Do you think it matters?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we need to write an explanation in the additional information section if we do not have the required " 1 bio, 1 chem, 1 physics, 1 humanities" letter combo?

Is SAT/ACT score required? Don't remember mine.

Thank you! :thumbup::rofl:

I did, but I'm positive it doesn't matter at all! I only wrote the optional essay because I forgot to list a couple of activities on AMCAS. Many people on the 2009-2010 thread did not write the optional essay and still got invited for interview.

Do we need to write an explanation in the additional information section if we do not have the required " 1 bio, 1 chem, 1 physics, 1 humanities" letter combo?

Is SAT/ACT score required? Don't remember mine.

Thank you! :thumbup::rofl:

I would write a short explanation if you are missing one of those letters, but they aren't strict at all on their letter requirement.

SAT/ACT is optional.

No invite here, going on 7pm EST. I love it.

how the hell do i find my SAT scores... its been years...

If I got into NYC schools and this one I think I would have a really hard time, even tho the NYC schools are "better", i think i fit this school. I just hate how they r not pass/fail.

I have a friend who goes here and she has nothing but great things to say about it. I'm a huge fan.

They're H/P/F, which is not too different. That shouldn't sway you to another school though!!! =]

They're H/P/F, which is not too different. That shouldn't sway you to another school though!!! =]

yea it wont make my decision but its not in the pros list either :p

edit: btw i love water too <3

Oh, I just assumed that after receiving my credit card payment, that at least the 'payment received?' would be automated to toggle it to 'yes' :-/

I like how Jefferson technically doesn't have a secondary but we have to fill it out so we can pay them $80..lol

I did but just with what I'm doing next year, since I just graduated. I am way too lazy and have far too many secondaries to research and write a "why jefferson" essay...

Remember to check your Junk Mail boxes! My secondary from Jefferson was in there for some reason...

lol they;re entire secondary is like...

"so do your parents work at JEff?? what about your grandparents, your sister? brother?? what about your wife?? has she breathed Jeff's air?? did any of them study here? does your dog have a connection to Jeff?? we have a connection fetish, do you have a connection?? mmm connections"

my answer:
No.

Hahaha! So true.

Still no sign of it, could someone post the link?

Still no sign of it, could someone post the link?

You just click the 'Apply Online' button on the JMC admissions page, but it won't help you; you need a PIN number they give you via email to log in...although there is a way to download a pdf version and do things via snail-mail, so maybe that is an option? I think waiting for the PIN and doing it online will be faster. Plus, I just looked at the downloadable form, and it seems to be from 2008 based on the title of the file--and it is different from the online form I filled out. Seems iffy to go that route for now.

This is what I was told (paraphrased):

• They were supposed to get the verified AMCAS download yesterday, but there was an IT problem
  • They got the download today, and are processing the primary apps
  • The secondary emails are slowly going out
  • Contact them if you don't get the secondary email by sometime tomorrow

P.S. like other ppl said, be sure to check your spam folder just in case.

P.S.S. If anyone has been keeping up with all of my posts in this thread, you'll know that after I submitted my Jefferson secondary and paid the fee, my application status was still displayed as "secondary fee paid: no; secondary application submitted: no." However, I just checked again (about my 30th time lol) and it has been updated to "yes" across the board. It took about 7 hours, for future reference, which is better than I expected after reading post 61 : )

Hope this helps some ppl.

Last edited:
so do we leave the information blank if i had not attended the school before or if none of our relatives or had attended it? Cause right now my application is looking so blank, it feels like i have nothing to offer.

anyone know just how heavily they value a family connection to the school? Judging from this secondary, it seems like a crap-ton.... Which is no good for me as I have nothing to say either for most of this application seeing as I'm white and have no one that went there lol...:confused::confused

edit: I guess if I hadn't already sent it out, I'd have put in the "other info" section that my sole purpose in life was to begin a jefferson legacy, and to expect 10 of my offspring in about 20 something years....

This is what the Director of Admissions told me (paraphrased):

• They were supposed to get the verified AMCAS download yesterday, but there was an IT problem
  • They got the download today, and are processing the primary apps
  • The secondary emails are slowly going out (I ended up receiving mine more than 3 hours after the first SDN member to receive one, which was not fast enough to prevent me from panicking, contacting the Director, and getting this information)
  • Contact them if you don't get the secondary email by sometime tomorrow

P.S. like other ppl said, be sure to check your spam folder just in case.

This is good to know. I was verified 6-2-10 as well, and its been like 1.5 days now. Oh well, I will be patient.

Question to those who have been accepted at Jef or have applied there before:

Is it a good idea to write a why jefferson + diversity essay response in the additional info?

Do you know if interviews are mostly based on MCAT/gpa and not the secondary?

Thanks!

Question to those who have been accepted at Jef or have applied there before:

Is it a good idea to write a why jefferson + diversity essay response in the additional info?

Do you know if interviews are mostly based on MCAT/gpa and not the secondary?

Thanks!

As for the first question, I don't see why not. It just shows that you are interested in the school. I cannot answer the second question because I'm not sure. Dr. Callahan did say that they look at your application as a whole...including MCAT/GPA/ECs/essays to determine if you're a good fit.

has anyone had the problem that when you finish typing your essay and you press the first "Submit" when you review your material, the paragraphs on the essay are gone and now its all merged into one big paragraph?

Thanks

has anyone had the problem that when you finish typing your essay and you press the first "Submit" when you review your material, the paragraphs on the essay are gone and now its all merged into one big paragraph?

Thanks

That happened to me too and I couldn't seem to do anything about it so I just submitted it like that.

So the limit is 2000 characters and not 4000?

Hey everyone--I'm new to SDN. I was just skimming the posts about the character count for the Jefferson optional essay... Does anyone know for sure if it's 2000 or 4000? I'd like to know before I start drafting something

I was verified early June 2nd and still haven't gotten this one. Makes me wonder what kind of system some of these schools use. I mean, some people who were verified the day of the release already got it.

Thanks

I think that even though it looks like that on the Review page that it sends it with the correct paragraph breaks. When I typed my essay in and it was more than 2000 characters I got this huge error message, and it showed the contents of each field on the application below the error message and it had the correct paragraph breaks in it for me. That's just my 2 cents though, I'm not positive lol

Hey everyone--I'm new to SDN. I was just skimming the posts about the character count for the Jefferson optional essay... Does anyone know for sure if it's 2000 or 4000? I'd like to know before I start drafting something

It is technically 2000 characters, but it says 4000. You could call the office if you need the full 4000 because I think it might just have been an oversight on their part (see below).

The secondary emails are slowly going out (I ended up receiving mine more than 3 hours after the first SDN member to receive one, which was not fast enough to prevent me from panicking, contacting the Director, and getting this information)

Dude, are you friggin' kidding me? You started making a pain in the a-s-s out of yourself with Dr. Callahan because a few people received their secondaries a couple of hours before you did?? Are you out of your mind?

You really don't want to be admitted to Jefferson, do you? You'll make a name for yourself in the Admission Office with that kind of nonsense. And I don't mean in a good way. Grow up and get a grip!

Last edited:
DAmn seems like everyones getting their secondaries. I still dont have one from here

I wonder if they'll care that my mom is a graduate of their nursing school... :shrug:

Anyone have any opinions on this? I will mention it, most assuredly, and I'm sure it can't hurt, but I'm curious if it's going to do anything for me. Jeff is one of my top two choices so I'm all for anything to help my chances. :oops:

I'm still waiting on this secondary but my schools and AMCAS have been getting 10 kinds of speshul with my transcripts but hopefully I'll be verified today.

DAmn seems like everyones getting their secondaries. I still dont have one from here

I don't have mine either, oh well. I doubt a few days difference will matter considering they are taking that same amount of time just to email everyone.

Suncrusher- I wouldn't worry about calling the admissions office, I doubt the people answering the phone are on the admissions committee. I think some (non-exemplary) med student just had a little pent-up aggression to release on the internet.

As for the 2000 vs. 4000 character limit, I emailed the admissions office. They said they're having a technical problem but that they're working on it. They also told me I could just email them my longer response and they'd add it to my file. So if people are still having problems with the character limit, you might try emailing them.

Anyone have any luck calling their office? I need to ask how to apply my FAP status on there but no one ever picks up the phone...

Status
Not open for further replies.