2010-2011 Jefferson Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me, from reading this discussion, that the current status of the optional essay is:

• It says you may write 4000 characters
  • If you write over 2000, you receive an error and cannot submit
  • The admissions staff is aware of the problem, and attempting, very slowly, to fix it
  • In the interim, they have offered that you can upload a 4000 character essay using "Send Us Stuff"
  • I hope someone on this thread might let us know when the problem is fixed online

Question: Where do we access the send us stuff option?

Members don't see this ad.

this is, by far, the most frustrating secondary interface. I've had to re-write my essay three of four times, all of which tell me my essay is over the character limit, even though it is only 2100 characters. On top of that, when I hit the back button, all of the data I entered is wiped out.

Is anyone else having a problem with the credit card payment? I think it might be because my billing address doesn't match my address on the application, but it keeps on giving me an error (and there's nothing wrong with my card). The admissions office says that they're looking into it because others have had that error. Anyone have any experience with this?
Same here. I spent an hour on this secondary and have nothing to show for it. :mad::mad::mad:

do you reallly have to type ur whole essay in the box and can't copy and paste?!?!? its giving me an error when i do, but is there a way around it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. I spent an hour on this secondary and have nothing to show for it. :mad::mad::mad:

FYI - make sure your billing address matches the address on the app. That was holding up my application.

Do the application status fields (regarding secondary and fee submission) change immediately upon completing the secondary?

No for me it took about a day to change the status.

when do the invites start coming out???

and how do u know they received your letters? is that part of amcas app field?

btw i am craving some muscles right now....and some shrimp with that red dipping sauce....faaaak im hungry....

when do the invites start coming out???

and how do u know they received your letters? is that part of amcas app field?

btw i am craving some muscles right now....and some shrimp with that red dipping sauce....faaaak im hungry....

Last year it looks like it was right around the beginning of August?

Also, I read that at first like you really wanted to lift weights to bulk up or something. The shrimp and cocktail sauce tipped me off, though. It might just be time for bed, lol.

Last year it looks like it was right around the beginning of August?

Also, I read that at first like you really wanted to lift weights to bulk up or something. The shrimp and cocktail sauce tipped me off, though. It might just be time for bed, lol.

haha the gym can wait till tomorrow but food cannot. this is one of my unhealthy habits, eating late....but its so good... making a late night snack and watching one of my shows <3

august is good.. i still have to figure out exactly how the American health care system works b4 i look like an idiot at interviews.

haha the gym can wait till tomorrow but food cannot. this is one of my unhealthy habits, eating late....but its so good... making a late night snack and watching one of my shows <3

august is good.. i still have to figure out exactly how the American health care system works b4 i look like an idiot at interviews.

I love eating late, definitely eating goldfish and drinking a vanilla coke right now, and coincidentally reading the New York Times health section to see what's up. Really interesting things going on with Avandia, especially since I'm working for BigPharma right now (not GSK).

Avandia, especially since I'm working for BigPharma right now (not GSK).

wow i feel so uninformed, i have no idea what your talking about :laugh::laugh:

i guess i should start reading...

goldfish nice, they made the ultimate marketing song way back when... the whole "even tho they look like fishies u know they;re really made with real cheese the snack that smiles back goldfish!" i cant remember the last time i heard it but it's been stuck in my head since i was like 10

Members don't see this ad :)
wow i feel so uninformed, i have no idea what your talking about :laugh::laugh:

i guess i should start reading...

goldfish nice, they made the ultimate marketing song way back when... the whole "even tho they look like fishies u know they;re really made with real cheese the snack that smiles back goldfish!" i cant remember the last time i heard it but it's been stuck in my head since i was like 10
I love goldfishes cuz they're sooooo delicious!

And it's mussels, for the shellfish, not muscles. :)

God, I'm glad you said something about healthcare. I'm so scared of bombing my interviews. :scared:

And it's mussels, for the shellfish, not muscles. :)

yea when i typed it i was like that doesn't look right....but it was too late at night for me to really care.

Whoever from the Class of 2015 thread that winds up in Philly, I think I'm going to have to have them over one day for food. I keep talking about it. If cliff gets into PCOM, I promised him my berry meringue pie. I'll make you mussels, while I'm at it!

Whoever from the Class of 2015 thread that winds up in Philly, I think I'm going to have to have them over one day for food. I keep talking about it. If cliff gets into PCOM, I promised him my berry meringue pie. I'll make you mussels, while I'm at it!

nice! i wish u told me earlier so i could of added to why i wanted to go to jeff essay

Has any one gotten locked out? My app database is on excel and it deleted the zero for my pin and oops! I don't know how to get back in...

Has anyone gotten a secondary recently? My MCAT score aren't in yet, does Jeff wait for the scores before sending secondaries?? :idea:

Where in the hell is this application at? I submitted all my material to AAMC the very first day and was very early to be verified. I still haven't received this secondary yet and I'm a DE resident!

Where in the hell is this application at? I submitted all my material to AAMC the very first day and was very early to be verified. I still haven't received this secondary yet and I'm a DE resident!

maybe they want to crush your dreams?

Not in the spam?

:laugh:

"Also, Geekchick921 from SDN promised she'd make me mussels if I got accepted."

u forgot the exclamation mark at the end, but yea thats basically how it would of went down.

anyone know how long it takes jefferson to receive the secondary? i submitted and paid around 1:30 but it appears they haven't updated their status and say it hasn't been sent/paid?

i'll call tomorrow, but just wondering if they update once a day

Do you think it would be odd if instead of writing a "Why Jefferson" essay that I write something about additional outside-of-the-classroom learning opportunities I took advantage of during college (ie going to lectures and professor talks)? Let me know.

anyone know how long it takes jefferson to receive the secondary? i submitted and paid around 1:30 but it appears they haven't updated their status and say it hasn't been sent/paid?

i'll call tomorrow, but just wondering if they update once a day
Please read through this still short thread. :) You don't want to piss off the people that answer the phones.

Do you think it would be odd if instead of writing a "Why Jefferson" essay that I write something about additional outside-of-the-classroom learning opportunities I took advantage of during college (ie going to lectures and professor talks)? Let me know.

Hey, if they only wanted a "Why Jefferson?" essay, they'd have told us to write that specifically. I think you're good in writing about that, if you think it's worth noting. :)

Does anyone know if the character limit on the secondary essay was fixed yet? My essay is over 2000, but I suppose I could cut it down if needed.

Edit: The 2000 character limit has been fixed! I just submitted a ~3000 character essay, and it went through fine.

Also, I copy-pasted the essay from MS Word and it worked. I don't know why they said don't copy-paste. Maybe they meant to not copy your material from other essays? Well, I suppose if I failed to follow instructions properly I effed up, but from my understanding of HTML/scripting, there's nothing that could possibly go wrong from copy-pasting into that text box. Text is text.

Last edited:
when you figure it out, give me a call. haha

Haha, if any of us figure it out, we should give Congress and the President a call. I think they would appreciate understanding it as well :)

Does anyone know if the character limit on the secondary essay was fixed yet? My essay is over 2000, but I suppose I could cut it down if needed.

Edit: The 2000 character limit has been fixed! I just submitted a ~3000 character essay, and it went through fine.

Also, I copy-pasted the essay from MS Word and it worked. I don't know why they said don't copy-paste. Maybe they meant to not copy your material from other essays? Well, I suppose if I failed to follow instructions properly I effed up, but from my understanding of HTML/scripting, there's nothing that could possibly go wrong from copy-pasting into that text box. Text is text.
I copied and pasted, given that it took me 5 attempts to get it through. As a general rule it's best to paste into a text document or online form and then copy and paste again. If it looks fine when it's pasted there's no problem.

Has anyone received any notification about their secondary being complete yet (other than status-checking on the website and seeing checkmarks in all the boxes)? Or are you expected to call to verify that your application is being reviewed?

I copied and pasted, given that it took me 5 attempts to get it through. As a general rule it's best to paste into a text document or online form and then copy and paste again. If it looks fine when it's pasted there's no problem.

Yeah I didn't see any of the formatting "bleed" through. In fact, I haven't seen that happen in years. Maybe it was fixed? But that is a good idea, copy-pasting from textbox to textbox. I should have done that.

Hey, if they only wanted a "Why Jefferson?" essay, they'd have told us to write that specifically. I think you're good in writing about that, if you think it's worth noting. :)
Or you can visit the campus :)

Can anyone post a link to the online secondary??

I received an email from Jefferson with ID and PIN but either I'm blind or they've done a tremendous job hiding it, I cannot find the link for the online secondary :mad:

Yeah I didn't see any of the formatting "bleed" through. In fact, I haven't seen that happen in years. Maybe it was fixed? But that is a good idea, copy-pasting from textbox to textbox. I should have done that.

Evergrey, what do you mean textbox to textbox?

Do you mean copying from Word document into Notepad and then pasting it into the box? Also is there a preview by any chance to see if anything got effed up after pasting it?

Yeah if it's messed up you will definitely know :) But Word -> Notepad -> Web Browser seems like a good safety measure even though I don't think problems occur very often.

Yeah if it's messed up you will definitely know :) But Word -> Notepad -> Web Browser seems like a good safety measure even though I don't think problems occur very often.

haha geez. evergrey when do you know if you messed up though? Is it after submitting? Or does it look messed up right when you paste it in there? because i don't want to submit and then find out after it's messed up.

It will look messed up right when you put it in there, but WORST case, they give you a preview option to look at before you submit it. If you can't see it there either, I daresay you are 100% a-okay.

If it gets messed up, either the formatting will look weird (unnecessary linebreaks) or the encoding will be REALLY effed up (crazy special characters everywhere, like this).

That's just about the extent of my knowledge on this subject :) I did have a homework assignment get corrupted in high school, just before turning it in. Best thing is, I didn't finish it and it was a major project, so I had the world's best excuse. I printed out the jumble of crazy characters, showed my teacher, and got another week to work on it!

Hey Guys,

Should we be expecting a "you are complete" email from Jefferson?

If so, did anyone get it yet?

Thanks

Hey Guys,

Should we be expecting a "you are complete" email from Jefferson?

If so, did anyone get it yet?

Thanks

I don't think so, I am complete according to their website but never received an email saying such.

Status
Not open for further replies.