2010-2011 Jefferson Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. That's some craziness. Unless it has the formula for a cancer cure included in there it is most likely going to get filed in the round bin.

But who knows... I stopped guessing how these things worked a long time ago, that includes listening to how people say I should and should submit my application, etc. So, if she really wants to send it in, then let her. Maybe one of the adcoms will have had a rough day and position him/herself down into a nice brown leather sitting chair and pour off the remnants of a bottle of Courvoisier into a studded ice laden tumbler, as s/he is gripping the firm dried leaves encasing a Cuban cigar. Then just as s/he is about to retrieve a volume of War and Peace, to thumb through for the 200th time, s/he happens to glance upon your friends manuscript. Initially doubtful as to its intent, and skeptical of a student that detached from reality, the adcom begins to read the behemoth. A smile traced in the shadows emblazoned upon the adcom's face by the flames of his/her study fire as they flicker and tease the sides of a once magnificent evergreen, now dried and awaiting its release from this world. The edges of the adcom's now curling lips revel in a life so complete and complex as his/her eyes begin to traverse the pages of the manuscript, so engrossing that they seem to be turning themselves.

As the sun begins to rise and pour in through large bay windows of the office, slowly etching a world that was destroyed by the last flicker of a dying flame and the dull thud of the manuscript as it fell from the adcom's hand as s/he drifted off into a dreamless sleep. As the rays of light, seemingly powered as if by a force of the gods from above, began to expand through the room, finally revealing the manuscript, now marked by the adcom's tears of joy and sadness. The light slowly begins to illuminate the text that could only have been placed there by a stamp carried by the few worthy to wield the almighty power of an adcom, ACCEPTED...

I'm guessing this is the dream world your friend envisions... Let her dream... and who knows... It could happen... :)
this.... is just... beautiful

i haven't applied to jeff but now i just might so that i may have that small sliver of hope that i could be your classmate, with the dream that even the tiniest drop of your magnificence might fall on me

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted the secondary 7/28 and my letter packet from my school just go sent in today. I just want to make sure that I can confirm when Jefferson gets my letters.

For those of you who have submitted and have their letters already sent in, did the "check status" page show receipt of letters?

I submitted the secondary 7/28 and my letter packet from my school just go sent in today. I just want to make sure that I can confirm when Jefferson gets my letters.

For those of you who have submitted and have their letters already sent in, did the "check status" page show receipt of letters?

Yep!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh really? My letters have been in for nearly a month and I'm complete at most schools but I don't see anything on the Jefferson Status page about it.

Are you sure that we should see a letter update? Someone earlier in the thread said that someone at Jefferson claimed that it won't update with LORs:

Mine doesn't say anything about my LOR even though I assigned it over a week ago in AMCAS. It just shows:

Application Status:
AMCAS Application Received? Yes
Jefferson Secondary Application Received? Yes
Jefferson Secondary Application Fee Paid? Yes

I called to ask if the website should update with LOR and the person I talked to said no. so strange.

Edit: haha just realized what an awkward sentence that was...

Are you sure that we should see a letter update? Someone earlier in the thread said that someone at Jefferson claimed that it won't update with LORs:
Application Status:
AMCAS Application Received? Yes
Jefferson Secondary Application Received? Yes
Jefferson Secondary Application Fee Paid? Yes

That's what mine says... just wanted to make sure I'm looking at the right page!!!

Oh oops! I have the same status page as you guys. I just assumed the secondary was received when they received the LORs.

Oh oops! I have the same status page as you guys. I just assumed the secondary was received when they received the LORs.

Mine's does too. I emailed them and they sent me a "Congrats your application is complete and under review...." reply. So it seems like even if they don't list your letters, you're probably complete.

Where can you check the status of your application?

You can just log back into the same place you submitted your application. There should be a "status" link on the upper left side of the page. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
they either got a lot more applications than last year or they are taking their sweet sweet time sending those invites.

You can just log back into the same place you submitted your application. There should be a "status" link on the upper left side of the page. ;)

True, but it's not really a status check. It just tells you if you've submitted properly, but doesn't give any indication about if you're complete, under review, have been given an interview invite, etc.

IMO all schools should have at least two ways to contact people about changes to their application status -- e-mail and website check.

they either got a lot more applications than last year or they are taking their sweet sweet time sending those invites.

Why do you think they haven't sent out invites? Because you haven't received one? Because no one on SDN has reported receiving one? The percentage of med school applicants who belong to SDN is not nearly as large as you think.

Last edited:
Why do you think they haven't sent out invites? Because you haven't received one? Because no one on SDN has reported receiving one? The percentage of med school applicants who belong to SDN is not nearly as large as you think.

you assume that all applicants are equal, when really the people on sdn tend to be the more highly qualified folk. therefore logic dictates that if they sent out invites someone on sdn should have recieved one.
btw, why u so aggressive?

you assume that all applicants are equal, when really the people on sdn tend to be the more highly qualified folk. therefore logic dictates that if they sent out invites someone on sdn should have recieved one.
btw, why u so aggressive?
Whilst I disagree with MB's logic, i agree with the sentiment.

No need to be aggressive koennen - SDN isnt every med school applicant, but it is quite large and yes it is possible that ppl have got invites from Jeff that aren't on SDN. However, someone will get one and given the size of it, and we havent heard a peep - i dont think they've sent any out yet

you assume that all applicants are equal

I assume no such thing. Compared to the many thoughtful and well written comments/opinions I read on this site, how could I read your post and assume that all applicants are equal?

when really the people on sdn tend to be the more highly qualified folk

Really? Who told you that? The "folk" on this site? :laugh::laugh: Please provide me with a citation to the data that support your assertion that SDN members are more qualified than other applicants. Or did you just make that up?

therefore logic dictates that if they sent out invites someone on sdn should have recieved one.

Therefore, nothing. Your logical reasoning skills leave something to be desired. But thanks for your pre-med perspective. As a fourth year medical student, I have to keep reminding myself that kids who have (for the most part) just finished their junior year of college really do know more about this whole process than I do. :rolleyes:

But who knows... I stopped guessing how these things worked a long time ago, that includes listening to how people say I should and should submit my application, etc. So, if she really wants to send it in, then let her. Maybe one of the adcoms will have had a rough day and position him/herself down into a nice brown leather sitting chair and pour off the remnants of a bottle of Courvoisier into a studded ice laden tumbler, as s/he is gripping the firm dried leaves encasing a Cuban cigar. Then just as s/he is about to retrieve a volume of War and Peace, to thumb through for the 200th time, s/he happens to glance upon your friends manuscript. Initially doubtful as to its intent, and skeptical of a student that detached from reality, the adcom begins to read the behemoth. A smile traced in the shadows emblazoned upon the adcom's face by the flames of his/her study fire as they flicker and tease the sides of a once magnificent evergreen, now dried and awaiting its release from this world. The edges of the adcom's now curling lips revel in a life so complete and complex as his/her eyes begin to traverse the pages of the manuscript, so engrossing that they seem to be turning themselves.

As the sun begins to rise and pour in through large bay windows of the office, slowly etching a world that was destroyed by the last flicker of a dying flame and the dull thud of the manuscript as it fell from the adcom's hand as s/he drifted off into a dreamless sleep. As the rays of light, seemingly powered as if by a force of the gods from above, began to expand through the room, finally revealing the manuscript, now marked by the adcom's tears of joy and sadness. The light slowly begins to illuminate the text that could only have been placed there by a stamp carried by the few worthy to wield the almighty power of an adcom, ACCEPTED...

I'm guessing this is the dream world your friend envisions... Let her dream... and who knows... It could happen... :)

wow. your personal statement must have been awesome

Whilst I disagree with MB's logic, i agree with the sentiment.

No need to be aggressive koennen - SDN isnt every med school applicant, but it is quite large and yes it is possible that ppl have got invites from Jeff that aren't on SDN. However, someone will get one and given the size of it, and we havent heard a peep - i dont think they've sent any out yet

Really? How large is it? How many of SDN's current, active members are applying to med school this year (as opposed to being med students, residents, attendings, dental students, etc.)? And what percentage does number represent of the over 40,000 people who will apply to medical school this year? Do you know?

Again, the percentage of med school applicants who belong to SDN is actually pretty small. I remember reading that it is about 10%. That number comports with my own experience as a first year. More often than not, the reaction I received when I mentioned SDN to my fellow med students was "SDwhat??"

Koennen - your logic is right, but you are still being a dick about it.

Go work on your ERAS

The lack of communication leaves many med school hopefuls wondering, so leave them to wonder.

Really? How large is it? How many of SDN's current, active members are applying to med school this year (as opposed to being med students, residents, attendings, dental students, etc.)? And what percentage does number represent of the over 40,000 people who will apply to medical school this year? Do you know?

Again, the percentage of med school applicants who belong to SDN is actually pretty small. I remember reading that it is about 10%. That number comports with my own experience as a first year. More often than not, the reaction I received when I mentioned SDN to my fellow med students was "SDwhat??"
you're on SDN aren't you?
either way its nice that you are pointing out some holes, but can you take a step back and think about how it may come off in an online forum? Congrats on being a 4th year, but please dont become on of those arrogant know-it all doctors-

Anyway, changing the subject...Does anyone know if it's alright to message Jefferson about special dates. I only ask because I am on the west coast and I'll happen to be in philly next month. Is it appropriate to message them mentioning that and maybe updating them on grades from the spring quarter?

Anyway, changing the subject...Does anyone know if it's alright to message Jefferson about special dates. I only ask because I am on the west coast and I'll happen to be in philly next month. Is it appropriate to message them mentioning that and maybe updating them on grades from the spring quarter?

It is entirely appropriate to do both. People send "I'll be in the area" emails all the time. It may work, assuming you're a candidate who Jeff otherwise would have invited to interview.

you're on SDN aren't you?
either way its nice that you are pointing out some holes, but can you take a step back and think about how it may come off in an online forum? Congrats on being a 4th year, but please dont become on of those arrogant know-it all doctors-

Or at least wait until you are finished with your fourth year to become arrogant (which is a major flaw). I think a lot of the people on here are adults and some are college graduates. I know we aren't fourth year med students, but people nonetheless. The professionalism of discourse on this thread keeps slipping- let's put an end to it!

This argument is irrelevant anyway- the invites have officially begun.
Complete 7/11
Invite 8/9

great. how did you know you were complete?

Last edited:
Congrats to u DrNerd!

The geeks and nerds shall reign!

Secondary complete 7/22.
Interview invite 8/9.

:banana:

Also, to go with Nerd's comment about irrelevant arguing...

my-hair-is-a-bird-argument-invalid.jpg

Any word on how you guys knew you were complete? I looked through this thread- it looks like most people had a status page that says "application recieved," that is what mine says as well. Nothing about completion though..

Any word on how you guys knew you were complete? I looked through this thread- it looks like most people had a status page that says "application recieved," that is what mine says as well. Nothing about completion though..

No, mine was the same as everyone else's. I suppose I should have said "submitted 7/11." Sorry!

Nice Geekchick, I know you were hoping for this one. Congrats!

Btm Thom I think people are just estimating when they had their secondaries submitted and their LORs in.

Edit: Oh yeah grats too DrNerd! We are stats twins on SDN, you show up on my "Similar Applicants" feed all the time :)

Last edited:
Same here. I spent an hour on this secondary and have nothing to show for it. :mad::mad::mad:
I wonder if anyone has solved this issue. I have the same problem with credit card validation. Where do you type in the billing address? They only asked for my card number and expiratory month and year. Thanks!!!!

I wonder if anyone has solved this issue. I have the same problem with credit card validation. Where do you type in the billing address? They only asked for my card number and expiratory month and year. Thanks!!!!

I am having the same problem, though my billing address is the same as the address on my application. I wrote an email yesterday to the Admissions Office, and hopefully will hear back soon!

Edit: I just tried submitting again using the same credit card and it went through this time. I am not sure why it wasn't working yesterday.

Last edited:
I am having the same problem, though my billing address is the same as the address on my application. I wrote an email yesterday to the Admissions Office, and hopefully will hear back soon!

Edit: I just tried submitting again using the same credit card and it went through this time. I am not sure why it wasn't working yesterday.

same here!!!! I used the same credit card today and it went through! good luck to you!!!

Congrats to those who received interview invites! How exciting!

To those who received interviews: Has your status changed from 'interview offered' to something else? I responded to the email immediately but my status hasn't changed and I'm just wondering if it should.

To those who received interviews: Has your status changed from 'interview offered' to something else? I responded to the email immediately but my status hasn't changed and I'm just wondering if it should.

Mine says...
Interview Status:
Accepted Interview

Under the date I was scheduled for. I'm not sure when it changed, but I did get the agenda email in response to my acceptance of the interview. I bet it changed when they sent that.

I haven't been invited for an interview, but if you responded today the system should update by midnight est tonight. I talked to the people at the admissions office and they said that is when their system refreshes to update all the statuses.

I haven't been invited for an interview, but if you responded today the system should update by midnight est tonight. I talked to the people at the admissions office and they said that is when their system refreshes to update all the statuses.

Thanks guys, I ended up emailing them again and my status was changed within minutes and I received a reply immediately. From this and other experiences I have had (MPH program) I am far from impressed with the administration at Jefferson.

Do you check your status using that "Apply Online" link? Or is there another way to check status which gives more info like "Under Review" etc.?

so how many of you guys left the Additional Info blank?

I did

Do you check your status using that "Apply Online" link? Or is there another way to check status which gives more info like "Under Review" etc.?

I don't believe that there is any way to check your status beyond logging back into the application and clicking "Display Secondary Application Status", which just shows you whether they have the primary, secondary and fee. If you are offered an interview another section will appear that says "Interview Status," but you should also receive an email.

For additional info - i just wrote about what I am doing right now (not in school), which i didnt really go into detail elsewhere

SHOOT! I forgot to detail waht IM doing during my year off! Worth contacting them to add that in!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.