2010-2011 Northwestern University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I interviewed on January 21, and didn't receive a decision today as many others did-with many interviewing after myself. Is this common, or does it signify a deferral? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to everyone who heard good news!

First the Packers win the superbowl, and now this? Could possibly be the best 24 hours of my life :D

Congrats guys! See you all at Second Look!

See you there ;)

I haven't even interviewed yet...
I emailed them and this is the response I got:
"Thank you for your e-mail. All decisions will be out (via
e-mail) to applicants by mid-March."

I told them that I haven't even interviewed yet and they reply:

So confused...

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't even interviewed yet...
I emailed them and this is the response I got:

I told them that I haven't even interviewed yet and they reply:

So confused...

according to previous posts, this is the last week of interviews (which I think only happen M & F), which means there are no more interview invites to be handed out (If I'm correctly interpreting your statement). So I think it's their way of saying it's pretty much over...

Congrats to all those who were accepted yesterday!!!
I'll repeat what someone said previously just as an FYI -- Per email communication w/ the admissions office, Second Look will be Thurs & Fri, April 14 & 15.
Woooooo!

I interviewed on Jan 21st, but I can't speak for the others. As I recall, after my interview Dr. Wallace said we would get an email saying something (accepted, rejected, or wait longer to hear) by mid February. My acceptance yesterday was actually earlier than I thought I'd hear, but it was such a great start to my week!

i was another one of those accepted on the 8th from a late january interview (3.77 cGPA and sGPA, 30Q, really committed to a few EC's)!

i hate to a be a debbie downer, but i was wondering what those accepted are planning or maybe what some current med students are doing to help cover the costs of this school? i absolutely fell in love w/ the school (i'm a chicago native so i already know and love the city), but i've gotten a pretty sizable scholarship from another med school that's hard to ignore. i'm expecting a lot of loans, budgeting, and superdebt at feinberg, though i have heard good things about their financial aid.

does anyone know when those financial aid packages are coming out, btw?

Receieved an email invitation to tomorrow's MSTP Grand Rounds via "Vidyo" (video?) today. Weird, weird email considering I don't think I should be on that email listserv.

Did any other MSTP applicants get that email too? :confused:

I got the Vidyo MSTP Grand Rounds email too. Not sure why.

I also got the invite to the MSTP Grand Rounds :confused: I was thinking about emailing them and asking why I got the invite. Did anyone get an invitation for Grand Rounds in previous months? Maybe they accepted us but just haven't told us yet...that would be nice lol.

I was wondering if there were any current students reading this thread, and willing to share their perspective. You can't gleam everything from an interview day, after all...

I'd be open to any information about your perception of Northwestern, but some ideas for starters:

• How receptive have you felt the administration is to fixing problems?
  • How would you describe your class (e.g. the M2 class) to your parents? (i.e. how's the group dynamic?)
  • Did the structured curriculum in M1/M2 leave you sufficient time to learn on your own independently?
  • What is your opinion of the clinical years - esp. the 3rd year curriculum? Are you pleased with how rotations are structured and graded? What is your impression of the role of M3/M4s on the wards - interaction, or just shadowing and scut work?
  • How helpful is the school in the residency application process? How does the school collect info for the dean's letter? Do you feel the school does a good job in exposing you to all the specialties out there?
  • Have you felt the methods of assessment to be fair and helpful in your learning (i.e. tiered instead of Pass/Fail)?
  • Have you felt Northwestern really pushes research hard, or is it just widely available if you decide to pursue it?
  • How do you deal with Chicago's extremely high living costs?
Appreciate anything you'd be willing to share. Thanks very much!

I hadn't heard from Northwestern in A WHILE (complete Oct 25) and just received the rejection.

"Dear __: I am writing regarding the status of your application to the Feinberg School of Medicine. I regret to inform you that after a thorough review, our admissions committee has decided not to offer you an interview.

We are humbled and honored by the high quality of those applicants such as yourself whom we do not have the capacity to interview.

Thank you for applying and for your patience as the process went forward. Best wishes for a successful completion of your search.

Sincerely,
Warren Wallace, M.D.
Associate Dean for Admissions"

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting to hear back after having interviewed. It's been three weeks, and it should take 6-8... The suspense is terrible.

still waiting to hear back too and interviewed early january

man this thread is quiet... I'm gonna keep on telling myself that they are compiling all their acceptances to send out soon... does anyone have any real information about pending acceptances?

I can't wait to hear back from Northwestern XD. I just want to say Good LUCK :luck: to yo all, and I know how you feel if you're waiting :scared::xf::D. Hopefully we'll be in class together soon.

email acceptance received today- (!!!)

-interviewed 2/4

good luck to all those waiting; hope to see you at 2nd look

Earlier posts state that they were gonna send invites to second look in early feb... I still haven't gotten one. Have you guys? I can't wait to book my flight! So excited!

Hey guys, I interviewed on January 21 and I haven't heard back yet. I saw that some others that interviewed with me have already received their decisions. It seems to me that if you are accepted you hear back quickly. Has anyone been accepted after more than a month of waiting? Sorry, but I'm just really excited about this school!

Earlier posts state that they were gonna send invites to second look in early feb... I still haven't gotten one. Have you guys? I can't wait to book my flight! So excited!

I called Admissions and they said the invites were postponed and will be sent out soon. Can't Wait!!!!

Hey guys, I interviewed on January 21 and I haven't heard back yet. I saw that some others that interviewed with me have already received their decisions. It seems to me that if you are accepted you hear back quickly. Has anyone been accepted after more than a month of waiting? Sorry, but I'm just really excited about this school!

I've been having some similar thoughts/worries/panics...I interviewed on January 28th. This is what I make of it. Their secure site says that you should hear back within 4-6 weeks. 4-6 weeks from late January interviews is around/in March, the month in which they defer a good chunk of their applicants to....so they're probably just going to throw our apps in with everyone else's and that's why its taking so long.

I could be wrong, but it at least helps me sleep at night. :rolleyes: But yeah, definitely freaking out on this end because Northwestern is essentially my #1 choice.

I'm SOO excited for 2nd look! I was wondering if any current students have recommendations for apartments close to campus. I want to check out places to live while I am there. Thanks!

I was invited to and participated in watching the February MSTP Grand Rounds as well. Has anyone that was asked to take part heard anything since?

I would ask if anyone who interviewed did not get the invite but I'm assuming they would have responded to the earlier posts so there's no point asking.

anyone know when in march the deferred decision people will find out? gracias!

A woman in the admissions office told me we would be hearing sometime in mid-march (or BY mid-march.. i don't remember her exact wording).

So good luck to all of you who are also on the list! let's hope we hear good news :)

Do they snail mail rejections, or email them?

Supposedly, my final decision was sent according to the status information given on my account. But a few people posted on the same day that they received the rejection, so I assumed it was by email. Maybe my email is stuck in the internet abyss...

anyone know when in march the deferred decision people will find out? gracias!

Interviewed in November, was deferred, and just got accepted today! So you'll probably hear soon!! :)

Interviewed in November, was deferred, and just got accepted today! So you'll probably hear soon!! :)

Congrats, QueSera! That's awesome! How did you hear of your acceptance (phone call, snail mail, email?)? I also interviewed in Nov and was deferred... i'm REALLY hoping I hear good news from them soon!!!!

When I interviewed they told me they were trying to do everything paperless. Even my acceptance letter was via email. I wouldn't expect snail mail.

also deferred, accepted today! much sooner than i expected!

Congrats, QueSera! That's awesome! How did you hear of your acceptance (phone call, snail mail, email?)? I also interviewed in Nov and was deferred... i'm REALLY hoping I hear good news from them soon!!!!

Thanks! It was via e-mail. Best of luck!!

Wow!!! Congrats on the acceptances after deferral! Definitely going to send in my update tomorrow.

Wait-listed (MCAT: 37S, GPA: 3.9, Major: Biomedical Engineering)...gaaah...the torture continues....

Anyone heard about whether they take many off of their waitlist?

Wait-listed (MCAT: 37S, GPA: 3.9, Major: Biomedical Engineering)...gaaah...the torture continues....

IIRC, Dean Wallace told us it could range from 1-2 to 15-20. I believe the post-interview decision percentages are about 50% acceptance/40% waitlist/10% rejection.

Can anyone confirm/deny/tell me my memory is way off (which it very well could be)?

:luck:

Last edited:

+1. Also, anyone know if they reject post-interview or is it only waitlist?

IIRC, Dean Wallace told us it could range from 1-2 to 15-20. I believe the post-interview decision percentages are about 50% acceptance/40% waitlist/10% rejection.

Can anyone confirm/deny/tell me my memory is way off (which it very well could be)?

:luck:

I believe that's what I was told when I interviewed. I remember being pretty shocked that they accept 50% of those interviewed. It seems be less than a 1/3 at most schools.

He also mentioned that we should be hearing back in the middle of March. I interviewed in early January. I looked at the website and it indicates that decisions will be announced 6 - 8 weeks post-interview, so I guess I should be hearing any day now. :eek:

I also got the invite to the MSTP Grand Rounds :confused: I was thinking about emailing them and asking why I got the invite. Did anyone get an invitation for Grand Rounds in previous months? Maybe they accepted us but just haven't told us yet...that would be nice lol.

They sent this out to everyone I think. I was at the last MSTP interview date, and Dr. Engman was talking about the MSTP grand rounds and just decided it'd be nice to invite all the applicants to take part in it.

I can see how it might be misleading to anyone who didn't know that info ;)

They sent this out to everyone I think. I was at the last MSTP interview date, and Dr. Engman was talking about the MSTP grand rounds and just decided it'd be nice to invite all the applicants to take part in it.

I can see how it might be misleading to anyone who didn't know that info ;)

I was at the second to last MSTP interview and while the vidyo invite was not mentioned, when I received the invite I thought all of us who had not been rejected probably got it to gauge how interested we were in NU. The odd thing was that only 12 or so applicants logged in to watch. I don't know if you were one of those on watching, but I have to think that might factor into deciding how interested each of us are in NU in particular. Granted, I have no idea how many people may have responded saying they weren't available on one day's notice. In any event, at least we know we'll hear whether we got an initial offer, were wait-listed, or rejected by March 15th.

BTW, I saw your post on the MD/PhD acceptance thread as well, I'll be sure to post when I hear anything.

As a currently deferred applicant, I have decided to withdraw my application from Feinberg, so as to commit elsewhere and also allow more movement on the wait-list during this time that seems most critical. I wish the best of luck to everyone this applications cycle, and to anyone that was waitlisted, don't fret too much because NU is has a very strange admissions process that is less than righteous.

So I've been waitlisted and had a couple of questions for anyone who might know. Are we required to send in an update letter to be considered at this point?

Also, if we have another school that we are accepted to, in my case Loyola, are we able to stay on the waitlist up until classes start at the other school, or do we have to declare our intention to go to the other school and take our name off of the waitlist in May.

Thanks!

Hmmm I'm a deferred person and haven't heard anything yet... hope I'm not just waiting for a WL notification! Guess I'll get some more news soon.

So I've been waitlisted and had a couple of questions for anyone who might know. Are we required to send in an update letter to be considered at this point?

Also, if we have another school that we are accepted to, in my case Loyola, are we able to stay on the waitlist up until classes start at the other school, or do we have to declare our intention to go to the other school and take our name off of the waitlist in May.

Thanks!

You can only hold one acceptance after May 15th. However, you can be on as many waitlists as you want. So, yes, you could stay on waitlists until class begins.

You are not required to send in any update letters, but it's a good idea to send in at least one expressing your interest in a school as well as if you have any significant updates, such as a new publication.

Status
Not open for further replies.