2010-2011 Northwestern University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm I'm a deferred person and haven't heard anything yet... hope I'm not just waiting for a WL notification! Guess I'll get some more news soon.

I'm deferred too, and anxiously waiting! I interviewed in November, and it seems like a few people who also interviewed in November have posted acceptances in the last few weeks, after being deferred.

Hope they're not sending decisions out in waves (eg. all acceptances, then then all waitlists, then all rejections ).

This wait is killing me! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Withdrawing from Feinberg.. hopefully one of you folks on the WL gets my spot. :) Good luck!

does northwestern release information regarding applicant positions on the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected this morning post interview.

Interviewed in November--> Deferred late November--> Rejection this morning.

They emailed me this morning. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. :(

Good luck to all those still waiting to hear!

Rejected this morning post interview.

Interviewed in November--> Deferred late November--> Rejection this morning.

They emailed me this morning. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. :(

Good luck to all those still waiting to hear!

Exact same for me. Good luck all.

any idea if there's a c/o 2015 fb group yet?

any idea if there's a c/o 2015 fb group yet?

yea i manned up and just created one. feel free to join everyone!
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_185097191535509&ap=1

EDIT: Also, for everyone on the waitlist currently, try emailing Dean Wallace and ask about it (where exactly you are ranked, if they do have a rank)...I mean worst case scenario, he doesn't say anything but at least it will show demonstrated interest. Good luck to everyone! :luck:

Last edited:
I called them last week to submit my financial aid stuff last second, and they said first week of April.

Any idea when the financial aid comes out?

I received an e-mail today about a merit scholarship. It mentions I'm still eligible for normal need-based aid, but I haven't heard anything on that front yet.

I just received a full tuition merit scholarship today! Wow, thanks Feinberg!!

Last edited:
BrainBuff, how about you go to a different school and hand over the scholarship to me? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ahhh congrats!! does anyone know if that's it for merit scholarships or if they'll give out any more?

For those who are interested and already started looking for housing, I have a studio apartment available July 1st. Rent is $1075 a month with 1 year lease. This is literally 2 blocks (1 minute walking distance) from the medical school.

Please PM me if you want more information or pictures.

I know I'm being somewhat impatient, but did anyone else get the email saying that Financial Aid should be available on CAESAR by 8:30PM CST? I've logged in and out a couple of times and mine still isn't available, and I submitted everything needed to get a tentative package with 2009 materials...

I know I'm being somewhat impatient, but did anyone else get the email saying that Financial Aid should be available on CAESAR by 8:30PM CST? I've logged in and out a couple of times and mine still isn't available, and I submitted everything needed to get a tentative package with 2009 materials...

I'm in the same situation. maybe a bit later tonight

I'm imagining someone with their finger hovering over a mouse to release the aid packages, chuckling to himself "April Fool's"

I'm imagining someone with their finger hovering over a mouse to release the aid packages, chuckling to himself "April Fool's"

HAha funny. but yeah I'm in the same situation

Maybe they forgot to adjust to the recent time change... So really it's 9:30? I guess, I'll find out in 2 mins....

Guss not... how annoying. Why did they bother sending the email? They should have sent it once the fin aid was actually available. :confused:

One plus side to compulsively checking for the last hour--"Accept/Decline" and "View My Financial Aid" are now under my "Favorites" tab in the upper left hand corner :oops:

So I never got that e-mail but I'm in the same boat. Anyone get anything yet? Plus it's Saturday so I'm sure my stress level is going to be high until next week....sigh...I must learn how to contain my anxiety levels!

Scratch that...I did get the e-mail but still can't see the award. Anyone else?

Scratch that...I did get the e-mail but still can't see the award. Anyone else?

Did you just get the email today? If so, perhaps the ones last night were sent prematurely and they really meant 20:30CST tonight?

I'm still waiting to see my financial aid, too. It just says information not available when I look in CAESAR. Fingers crossed for a nice scholarship...

did anyone who submitted a financial aid application not get an email about checking their financial aid award? i haven't received any emails about a Caesar login yet...

I'll be withdrawing. Even with a $100k grant, it's still ~$50K/year?!

wait $100k? did they offer 25k on caesar and you're calculating out for 4 years? or was that a merit based scholarship? i was bummed about 10k/year. anyway you would post your stats (gpa, mcat, etc). I feel jipped. lol

did anyone who submitted a financial aid application not get an email about checking their financial aid award? i haven't received any emails about a Caesar login yet...

did you create a FSM email account. and a Caesar login account? I got an email a couple of weeks ago. they sent the email to the FSM account saying financtial aid stuff was available on Caesar

Hey y'all,

I just called the financial aid office to ask about people that haven't gotten financial aid awards or emails.

They informed me that there was an IT problem with the email/award system. As a result, several of us (me included) did not receive the email telling us to check CAESAR for our award, and many of us might not even see our awards available.

They said that the awards should be up very soon, and asked me to call them if I had not received the email/award notification by this afternoon.

And just in case anyone hadn't, you DO have to set up your FSM email and CAESAR in order to view/receive your award.

i'm really sorry - i must be missing something. how do you set up the fsm account?

i'm really sorry - i must be missing something. how do you set up the fsm account?

You should have gotten an email (titled "An Important Message from Northwestern University") from them explaining how to set up an account. I got my email on March 25.

ok that explains it..i never received that email either..weird. thanks!

This is probably a stupid question, but if I haven't filled out any of NW's fin aid forms (except FAFSA), do I have to do that in order to get any fin aid info--like need-independent scholarships?

This is probably a stupid question, but if I haven't filled out any of NW's fin aid forms (except FAFSA), do I have to do that in order to get any fin aid info--like need-independent scholarships?

Yes.

Edit: just saw "need-independent." Not sure, though I believe you still need to do so. I would call and ask.

I got zero grant dollars, and if u r on the same boat it's not due to lower MCAT or GPA. This is what I was told:

"All student’s Grant eligibility is determined upon entering the program by the financial aid office and it is based on a student’s financial need. Grant eligibility does not change regardless of changes to a student’s financial situation"

I got zero grant dollars, and if u r on the same boat it's not due to lower MCAT or GPA. This is what I was told:

"All student’s Grant eligibility is determined upon entering the program by the financial aid office and it is based on a student’s financial need. Grant eligibility does not change regardless of changes to a student’s financial situation"

What do you think happens if people who receive grants don't take them. I'm sure some of it would go to students accepted later. But would they ever change amounts if by some miracle there was money left when that was done?

Also, has anyone heard if they're done giving out merit based scholarships? Or at what point they'd redistribute those? would it be after May 15?

What do you think happens if people who receive grants don't take them. I'm sure some of it would go to students accepted later. But would they ever change amounts if by some miracle there was money left when that was done?

Also, has anyone heard if they're done giving out merit based scholarships? Or at what point they'd redistribute those? would it be after May 15?

I was under the impression that they've already sent out their merit-based scholarships....not sure though....just word of mouth...

Congratulations to all of you coming to Feinberg this fall. I'm a fairly recent graduate c/o 2009. For those of you who haven't found housing yet, I'm renting out my place just a few blocks from NMH. Its a huge 835 sq ft 1 bd + den, perfect for couples or a bachelor/bachelorette who requires a large pad to live it up in during med school. PM for more info or for any pre-feinberg advice!

So I emailed the school about merit scholarships and got a fairly vague response:

"Thank you for your email. Please visit the Financial Aid web page on our website at: <whatever the site is>

for information regarding scholarships, grants, and other financial matters. As it states on the web site, students are considered for need-based grants and merit-based scholarships at the time of admission. There are a limited number of merit based scholarships and award determinations are based on the overall merit of the applicant."

I asked what the criteria were...I guess it just means overall application not just GPA or MCAT.

Regarding housing: I currently live in Hyde Park with my husband, and we would like to keep our current apartment for the next school year (he's a grad student @ UChicago). Are there any current students who commute from Hyde Park/South of the Loop, and if so, what routes do you take during which parts of the day? The Hyde Park Express (#2) is great when it's running, but I'm at a loss to figure out the best/safest route for when #2 isn't running.

Alternatively, are there any places on campus for students to catch some decent shuteye? Or if you're of any year interested in having an extra roommate who will only study/sleep there a few nights a week on weekdays and will be living within walking distance of campus, PM me. I'm female, had 4 different roommates in college and I'm still friends with all of them so I know how to get along with people :D, and I enjoy games (board, card, or video...particularly Halo for the latter), internet humor, and working out to blow off steam.

do you need to submit your financial aid information in order to be considered for merit scholarships?

do you need to submit your financial aid information in order to be considered for merit scholarships?

I called the office and asked. They said financial aid info is NOT necessary for merit-based scholarships.

Not at all. I got a full merit scholarship a couple of weeks ago and I had not submitted any financial info.

Any idea when the white coat ceremony is going to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.