2010-2011 PhD/PsyD Official Rejection thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First official rejection from UT Southwestern (Clinical PhD). Plenty more to come, I'm sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Rejection from UCSB about a week ago. I applied for the clinical program.

Rejection from Ohio State Clinical PhD today via status change on web-site, with snail mail notification to follow. Expected it since their interview date has passed and I wasn't invited.

Members don't see this ad :)
Official rejection from Sam Houston State U. (Clinical PhD) in the mail yesterday.

I received official rejection from University of Denver (PsyD) yesterday via email.

First rejection letter and boy did it hurt.

Received Wayne State University rejection letter a few days ago. Personalized email.

First official rejection from UT Southwestern (Clinical PhD). Plenty more to come, I'm sure.

ha...i think so too...I religiously rush to my mailbox every day just in case one of my roommates get them faster than me! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rejected 2/9, after asking about when interviews were going to be sent out, my POI who is also director of the program told me I was not going to be receiving an interview bc he had so many people who had requested to work with him this year. It was not a mass e-mail.

Official rejection letter received today...dated 2/3/11 from UW-Milwaukee's Clinical PhD program. Boooo. Oh well though, glad to have received some interviews elsewhere.

i am waiting to hear back from a program I interviewed at and it is driving me mad! the interview was on 1/28, and they said they would get back to us with a decision sometime between the interview and 2 Fridays from then (which would have been this past Friday). do you think that it's okay to contact the department assistant and see when i might expect to hear back, or do you think that looks bad???? thanks!

Received an email this morning from the director of admissions of Boston College, Lynch School of Education saying I was rejected from the Counseling Psych doctoral program, but I'm being offered admission into the master's program.

I'm pretty excited as this is a wonderful Plan B opportunity.

So..where did I put those darn snow boots....

AB:)

Official Rejection letter via snail mail from Syracuse received yesterday -- dated 2/7

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejection from Indiana State University by snail mail. Not surprised, found out after I applied that my POI wasn't taking students, even though she had said she was.

Contacted the head of the department who notified me of my rejection from Virginia Commonwealth University. Is the anyone who's gotten an interview/acceptance with a low GRE score???

Official rejection from Queen's University (Canada) for clinical phd today (Feb 16) via email from admin secretary.

E-mail rejection from University of Rochester Clinical.

Got an official rejection letter from the University of Missouri - St Louis today. I would have definitely taken it a lot harder if I wasn't already accepted into another university.

Here's my status thus far:

Rejected from Fordham University Clinical PhD via mass email.

I called American University's Clinical PhD program to ask when their interview dates were, and they responded with "Well we had one this past weekend, and we have one next week." Guess I didn't get one there lol

Still waiting on Rutgers PsyD, LaSalle PsyD, and University of Houston Clinical PhD.

Interviews at Chestnut Hill College PsyD, Loyola Maryland PsyD, University of Virginia Clinical PhD through the Curry School of Education, and Marywood University.

Here's hoping that one sticks

Rejected from UPenn through the online portal. Not much of a surprise since I didn't get an interview invite.

Waitlisted at Loyola MD PsyD aka rejected.

Ouch.

Ouch.

Don't give up now. There are people who get in from a waitlist!!! I think that is good news.
:xf:

Don't give up now. There are people who get in from a waitlist!!! I think that is good news.
:xf:

Thank you! I appreciate it, but you heard how terrible the chances are. Best of luck to you :)

Ouch.

I agree, if you are on the waitlist there is still hope. But hearing this is getting me worried. Do you think they send out all the decisions at the same time? I wonder if it is possible to still receive an acceptance after the waitlist has been set? Seems unlikely :(

Thanks. That's what I thought. Good luck with the interview at LaSalle (?)

Thank you! I hope you get the outcome you want from Loyola! It is definitely a great program.

I agree, if you are on the waitlist there is still hope. But hearing this is getting me worried. Do you think they send out all the decisions at the same time? I wonder if it is possible to still receive an acceptance after the waitlist has been set? Seems unlikely :(

It seems like others have heard about being accepted. I'm going to assume they sent them all out today? Not sure though. Maybe there are a few students they're stuck on. I don't think the chances of being accepted after being placed on the waitlist are any good. They said at their information session that they haven't extended offers to anyone on the waitlist in quite some time :lame:

It seems like others have heard about being accepted. I'm going to assume they sent them all out today? Not sure though. Maybe there are a few students they're stuck on. I don't think the chances of being accepted after being placed on the waitlist are any good. They said at their information session that they haven't extended offers to anyone on the waitlist in quite some time :lame:

I was at the interview as well and I haven't heard anything from them regarding my status. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing..

I was at the interview as well and I haven't heard anything from them regarding my status. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing..

Hi all,

what do you think about a program emailing a reminder for the upcoming interview, distributing a mass email to all interviewees with all email addresses visible for me??? I felt somewhat irritated. Not a good sign I thought. Does that happen a lot? Is that 'normal'? Any inputs on that??

Thanks and good luck to those who are still the i the interview process or awaiting notification

Phipps

Hi all,

what do you think about a program emailing a reminder for the upcoming interview, distributing a mass email to all interviewees with all email addresses visible for me??? I felt somewhat irritated. Not a good sign I thought. Does that happen a lot? Is that 'normal'? Any inputs on that??

Thanks and good luck to those who are still the i the interview process or awaiting notification

Phipps

This happened for one of my interviews also. At first I thought the same thing but then I realized I was going to be meeting all these people in a week anyway, so what's the difference. It did give me a little time to facebook stalk and size up my competition :laugh:

Rejected from BYU Clinical post-interview. Felt like I had a really solid shot to get in there. Blah.

I found out that my top choice program has already made an offer to a student for my POI - not from the POI but other dep't. staff/faculty b/c I was hesitant to be pushy. I also got a vague indication that there's a wait on some funding news that might allow the dept. (Not sure abt. POI individually), to extend more offers. The offer hasn't been accepted. I am wanting to contact my POI to indicate I'm still very interested - I certainly want my name to come to mind if the other person declines, even though I have no idea if I am even a runner up. I haven't made any contact since interviews some weeks ago so as not to be pushy, but I felt it was an unbelievable match. Would this be appropriate? Is it appropriate to ask dept. if they are waiting to make any more offers? I am trying to remain hopeful here.

I found out that my top choice program has already made an offer to a student for my POI - not from the POI but other dep't. staff/faculty b/c I was hesitant to be pushy. I also got a vague indication that there's a wait on some funding news that might allow the dept. (Not sure abt. POI individually), to extend more offers. The offer hasn't been accepted. I am wanting to contact my POI to indicate I'm still very interested - I certainly want my name to come to mind if the other person declines, even though I have no idea if I am even a runner up. I haven't made any contact since interviews some weeks ago so as not to be pushy, but I felt it was an unbelievable match. Would this be appropriate? Is it appropriate to ask dept. if they are waiting to make any more offers? I am trying to remain hopeful here.

Honestly, I know this is a stressful time for all of us - and it seems like at the last minute, so many of us want to contact POIs or the school directly to remind them of ourselves, just to stand out. But personally speaking - I don't think its a good idea. If you are the runner up, you will already be in the their mind. And they probably already have an idea who the next few offers will go to - hopefully one of them being you. :luck:

I have a pretty extensive rejection list I thought might be helpful to some of you :)

Rejected from:
Adelphi University
LIU
Michigan State University
Umass Amherst
University of Colorado, Colorado Springs
Syracuse University
(all PhD)

Have hope though! I got rejected because it really came down to me not fitting into these programs very well. Besides that, I scored 2 other interviews, one of which I already have an acceptance for. Those rejections really came down hard on my ego but I got accepted to my top choice because it was a great fit for me so keep your hopes up high! :xf:

Ps - has anyone heard from USC yet?

I have a pretty extensive rejection list I thought might be helpful to some of you :)

Rejected from:
Adelphi University
LIU
Michigan State University
Umass Amherst
University of Colorado, Colorado Springs
Syracuse University
(all PhD)

Have hope though! I got rejected because it really came down to me not fitting into these programs very well. Besides that, I scored 2 other interviews, one of which I already have an acceptance for. Those rejections really came down hard on my ego but I got accepted to my top choice because it was a great fit for me so keep your hopes up high! :xf:

Ps - has anyone heard from USC yet?

How did Michigan State reject you? Was it through e-mail? :(

Guys, keep your heads up. Rejections suck, but they're a part of the game. I remember last year my mom and I would even compare the letters in my rejection pile ("well this one was kinda harsh", "this seemed a little friendlier", "why did this school send me 2 rejection letters? I understood after the first one"). You can't change the outcome but you can change your outlook.

And don't forget, it only takes one. :)

Official rejection letter arrived in the mail on 2/24. It's safe to say I was crushed- I really loved that program (plus it kinda put a damper on the interview I was headed to). :(

Official rejection letter arrived in the mail on 2/24. It's safe to say I was crushed- I really loved that program (plus it kinda put a damper on the interview I was headed to). :(

Sorry...I too loved Loyola and am wait-listed...as many are. At least you got Chestnut Hill, correct? Rejections are always tough but maybe, an acceptance somewhere else does sweeten the pie.

Got a post interview call from UTSWMC yesterday saying they didn't have an offer for me but that I was "ranked." Anyone know about ranking, how many people they rank, and how it differs from a waitlist?

Rejection letter from Colorado State University PhD in Counseling on March 1st. :eek::eek::eek:

OK this is my first time going through the whole graduate school process. If I haven't gotten good news yet I should probably assume I didn't get accepted anywhere right? I'm just trying to be realistic. Anyone got any opinions or are in the same boat?

OK this is my first time going through the whole graduate school process. If I haven't gotten good news yet I should probably assume I didn't get accepted anywhere right? I'm just trying to be realistic. Anyone got any opinions or are in the same boat?

Good news as in an interview or acceptance? Not all programs are done interviewing, and even fewer have made offers for admission. The list of programs on acceptance thread on SDN is still much shorter than the list for the interview thread.

Come on people, don't be shy, lets post some rejections!

Haha, I do tend to neglect this thread, its true:)

I got a rejection via postal service from Loyola Chicago (clinical Ph.D.) a week ago, after being placed on their interview waitlist.