2010-2011 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
is the third box just for extensions? I interpreted it as the third box being the last four digits of the phone number, and ext: blah blah if you actually have an extension?

Members don't see this ad.

I keep having errors at the mailing address screen. It goes to a page "Not Found" and then when I go back I have to re-log in. It's very very annoying.

this is the screen that keeeps coming up
Not Found

The requested URL /isis/bwskaadr.P_ProcAppAddr1 was not found on this server.

Last edited:
does anyone know how to fill out the phone numbers?
it says: (xxxxxx)-(xxxxxxxxxxxx) (xxxxxxxxxx extension):
web_required.gif

but my phone number is xxx-xxxxxxx and it doesnt work.

karma points to anyone who can help me!

put all 10 digits (area code + phone number) in the middle box. The first ( ) is for non-USA, i think, and the third is for extensions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep having errors at the mailing address screen. It goes to a page "Not Found" and then when I go back I have to re-log in. It's very very annoying.

this is the screen that keeeps coming up
Not Found

The requested URL /isis/bwskaadr.P_ProcAppAddr1 was not found on this server.

Same exact problem. I read to just add your zip code and when you save, it'll automatically add your city and state. However, the state doesn't show up. But, when I try to add the state and save again, it doesn't work. Do we just not put the state then? That'll make my address incomplete o_O ugh.. upstate, why give us more problems than we already have? lol.

Same exact problem. I read to just add your zip code and when you save, it'll automatically add your city and state. However, the state doesn't show up. But, when I try to add the state and save again, it doesn't work. Do we just not put the state then? That'll make my address incomplete o_O ugh.. upstate, why give us more problems than we already have? lol.
I completed with the state blank. I gather that even if state is not in the address, post office can handle with just a zip code.

Is everyone that is having trouble putting in the state from New York?
If that is the case, perhaps that is the because expects only one entry total for state and county so entering both gives an error. If you're from NY, just leave it blank.

My submitted application (which seemed to disappear yesterday after submission) has reappeared under "processed applications."

However, it says "application preference: not entered." what does that mean? Does anyone else's say something different?

Thanks for any help

My submitted application (which seemed to disappear yesterday after submission) has reappeared under "processed applications."

However, it says "application preference: not entered." what does that mean? Does anyone else's say something different?

Thanks for any help
Same thing here.

I'm confused by this application. We aren't supposed to mail anything in if we pay for credit card right? That signature page I presume is just for people to print out who are mailing in a check?

I'm confused by this application. We aren't supposed to mail anything in if we pay for credit card right? That signature page I presume is just for people to print out who are mailing in a check?

right. the instructions in the email say that if you pay by credit card, you don't have to mail anything in.

Does anyone know if there's a maximum number of LORs I can submit? The website says 2, but I'm hoping I can submit more?

Secondary has input for two as well.
Keep in mind that schools may read whatever is in a packet, as long as it is not too many.

Last cycle I interviewed at a school that, like Upstate, had 2 slots for letter writers, and the interviewer was reading one of the other letters in the packet during the interview.

All my LORs were uploaded to my secondary today. The status check still says "application preference not entered" and the application status (listed in the middle of the application summary page) still says incomplete. No emails either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey please respond to this thread if you hear back from upstate about an interview or acceptance to early assurance.

Hey everybody, if i have email correspondence with the admissions office about a particular part of the secondary, do they keep that email and add it to my completed file when it comes time to review my file? It's a random question, but i was kind of hoping that the email correspondence wouldn't be involved.

From what I understand, all correspondence is fair game. They might not include it, but to be safe you should assume that anything you say to them can and will be considered and brought out at committee meeting.

so i filled my application out and sent in my app fee but it still states incomplete o_O
oh well, i wanted to ask about the rural medicine program, what kind of people are typically accepted and what do they look for in candidates, it sounds really interesting and i applied for it but was just wanting some input from current students or students who know abt it

Do you guys know whether we have to mail in the signature page to the supplemental if we pay the application fee online? Or does paying/signing the agreement to pay the feel online count as the signature page?

Do you guys know whether we have to mail in the signature page to the supplemental if we pay the application fee online? Or does paying/signing the agreement to pay the feel online count as the signature page?

If you pay the fee online, you DO NOT need to mail in the signature form. It says so in the e-mail, lol.

so i filled my application out and sent in my app fee but it still states incomplete o_O
oh well, i wanted to ask about the rural medicine program, what kind of people are typically accepted and what do they look for in candidates, it sounds really interesting and i applied for it but was just wanting some input from current students or students who know abt it

If it takes more than a week you should call them.

Concerning RMED, aside from interest I'm not sure what they're looking for or even if it is selective, but I don't think you have to decide until your 2nd year.

All my LORs have been uploaded to the app, and everything else is done (payment, MCAT, etc) but my status page still says incomplete. I'm assuming they just don't update it and you have to call them to find out exactly when it was marked complete...? :confused:

All my LORs have been uploaded to the app, and everything else is done (payment, MCAT, etc) but my status page still says incomplete. I'm assuming they just don't update it and you have to call them to find out exactly when it was marked complete...? :confused:
It eventually does change, but I'm not sure how long it takes.

You uploaded on a Friday, and this last message was on Monday. They don't update on weekends, and they could easily have been backed up. If they don't mark it complete by Friday it would be fair to call and "make sure that they have everything."

For the Course Requirements section, did you guys put in all of the science classes that you have taken, or just enough to satisfy their requirement of 6-8?

You uploaded on a Friday, and this last message was on Monday. They don't update on weekends, and they could easily have been backed up. If they don't mark it complete by Friday it would be fair to call and "make sure that they have everything."

Oh, right: thanks for pointing out that my letters were only uploaded on Friday. It feels like it happened at least a week ago to me :p I need to calm down :laugh:

Premed Health Advisory Committee Letter OR individual letters....

What if you have a letter packet from your university? (no committee letter, just 5 LORs). What would I put for that section? List out two of the faculty letters?

For the Course Requirements section, did you guys put in all of the science classes that you have taken, or just enough to satisfy their requirement of 6-8?

just the pre-req courses. I only added one upper level with biology since I was exempt from one semester of the intro course with AP credit.

What if you have a letter packet from your university? (no committee letter, just 5 LORs). What would I put for that section? List out two of the faculty letters?

i am also wondering about this. did anyone submit a letter packet?

i am also wondering about this. did anyone submit a letter packet?

I emailed admissions about the letter packet and their response was, "Indicate individual letters and give the names of two of the letter writers."

Forgot to post that after receiving the email.

I emailed admissions about the letter packet and their response was, "Indicate individual letters and give the names of two of the letter writers."

Forgot to post that after receiving the email.

thanks!

whoops, i also have a letter packet w/o a committee letter, but i clicked option 1 ... pretty sure i did that last yr and they marked me complete with no problems though.

please disregard. i'm crazy.

Last edited:
Anyone show complete for status? Like the poster a few days ago, mine shows everything uploaded but "incomplete"

I don't know how typical I am. I think I was accepted because I was not a typical applicant, I feel like you need to show how you are different and what you are going to bring to your school that no one else can. I'm from the Adirondack park, go to school in PA. I have about a 3.6 GPA, behavioral neuroscience major. really involved on campus, leadership positions and such. research too, a summer internship in biomedical engineering and four semesters of behavioral research on mice. Against the advice of my advisor I wore khaki's, a beige sport coat and boat shoes instead of a dark suit and I don't own dress shoes. Talked a lot about Horses, Alpine Skiing and Upstate New York in general.

Pretty sure this was the decisive factor right here assuming you didn't blow it (and apparently you didn't)...OOS applicants reading this should understand how much more competitive it will be for them.

Yea IS people are about 5 times more likely to get an interview. They like people who can handle central New York well.

Anyone show complete for status? Like the poster a few days ago, mine shows everything uploaded but "incomplete"
I'm in the same boat...I have everything uploaded but am also "incomplete"

hmm i have massive connections to CNY but am OOS...should i send a LOI after I submit my 2ndary?

Hi everyone.

So SUNY Upstate do not accept OOS or international students? Im an international, hoping to get in to US med schools

Thanks!

http://www.upstate.edu/prospective/basics/international/requirements/com.php

They do. Just at a much lower rate than for the In-state students.

on their website, it says "Letters of Recommendation from faculty in 2 different disciplines"

I have letters from
-biology PI
-intro bio prof
-upper level bio-statistics prof
-english instructor
-volunteer coordinator

So for the letter requirements, I could use my biology prof + english instructor right? Can I add more letters? (I couldn't find it on their website sorry)

hmm i have massive connections to CNY but am OOS...should i send a LOI after I submit my 2ndary?
I wouldn't see why not. It could only help you.

on their website, it says "Letters of Recommendation from faculty in 2 different disciplines"

I have letters from
-biology PI
-intro bio prof
-upper level bio-statistics prof
-english instructor
-volunteer coordinator

So for the letter requirements, I could use my biology prof + english instructor right? Can I add more letters? (I couldn't find it on their website sorry)
I think that will be ok but call or email admissions just to make sure.

I haven't received the secondary yet, but I'm pre-writing what I can for the schools I've applied to. I get the impression from this thread that Upstate doesn't have any essays? Do they at least ask some follow-up questions? If so, would any of you generous souls mind sharing exactly what they do ask for? Thanks.

They now have essays for people who are invited to interview. Current applicants will give you the lowdown.

Just received application complete email. I submitted secondary on 7/21.

Received a complete e-mail today. They said application is now complete, in screening, and I'll be notified when a decision is made.

I submitted around 7/18 or something like that.

Got application complete email and status website indicates complete app. Submitted everything the first day or two.
I'd imagine interview invites will start soon, though I haven't checked when they started giving them out last year.

They just sent me an email saying some aspects of my application were missing. I checked the status page and they just got my committee packet today, so everything is technically there but I'm still "incomplete". Maybe that was just a matter of weird timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.