2010-2011 University of Connecticut Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my gosh, Username you are awesome! Did you mean ranked in terms of high/middle/low (because some already know their tiers) or numerically?

I also heard this and I believe its numerically at this point

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if Uconn has anymore interview dates? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an email saying the waitlist will be ranked by mid-May and I should call if I don't hear by May 20. So, it seems like the rankings will be out late April at the earliest and May 20 at the latest.

Hey UserName,

I'm just curious why they would give you two different dates. It would seem if Dr. Zeff gave you late April/early May that that is the time range we can expect right? Who did you contact who gave you the May 20 date?

Hey UserName,

I'm just curious why they would give you two different dates. It would seem if Dr. Zeff gave you late April/early May that that is the time range we can expect right? Who did you contact who gave you the May 20 date?

I first sent an email to [email protected] but they didn't respond after a few days so I called the office. I talked to Dr. Zeff and he told me late April/early May. A few days after that phone conversation I got a response to my email saying May 20. The email wasn't signed by anyone so I don't know who sent it. I don't really know what to make of these two pieces of information. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Hey UserName,

What was the phone number you used that you got to talk to the Dean directly?

Thanks!

Has anybody who interviewed in the end of Febuary heard back yet?

pretty sure I know someone who has heard from an interview in mid-Feb. call admissions and ask, wouldn't hurt :)

pretty sure I know someone who has heard from an interview in mid-Feb. call admissions and ask, wouldn't hurt :)

Thanks for that info, jeepy! I hope the person you know got some good news! I'm keeping everything crossed for now...

Thanks for that info, jeepy! I hope the person you know got some good news! I'm keeping everything crossed for now...

he got HP waitlisted; he called and talked to Dr. Zeff personally though, so that's why I don't think it'd hurt to call.

hopefully it's better news for you, best of luck to all waiting to hear back! :xf:

Does anyone have any idea how large the high priority WL is?
I'm trying to get a feel for how likely it is that one would get an offer from this pool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any idea how large the high priority WL is?
I'm trying to get a feel for how likely it is that one would get an offer from this pool.

In threads from previous years, they say ~20 people per tier. Almost all high priority people get offers. Maybe 2-3 from the middle, and none from the low. I don't have a reliable source for this information, but it's been what people have said in the past.

Thanks so much Username! I also got a response to my email from Admissions (no signed name at the end of the email). It said that we will find out our ranking within the tiers in the middle of May and that we should contact them if we don't hear by May 20th. Good luck everyone!

I just emailed the admissions office this morning asking about waitlist ranking. I interviewed a while back and got waitlisted but wasn't given a position (high or low) so I asked when I should expect to hear about my rank and they responded saying late May/early June...looks like it may have gotten pushed back further. sigh.

Has anybody received thier financial aid package already??

yeesh im tired of the waiting game. im high priority at UCONN and waitlist at BU. i know lots of spots will open up on the 15th, but does anyone have an idea what the probability of me getting in at either is? getting nervous with the AMCAS reapplication process only a month away!

Just withdrew my spot. Good luck to those waitlisted.

Question for the accepted, did you het notified of financial aid as of yet???????????????

Thanks.

yup got the package in the mail yesterday. expect it today if you haven't gotten it yet! EDIT: was talking about financial aid, not acceptance/rejection/waitlist packages.

Last edited:
I spoke with Dr. Zeff this afternoon and he told me that they had finished up placing all the waitlisters into High/Middle/Low tiers and now they will begin numerically ranking the High group in the next couple of weeks and he also said they were planning on notifying everyone from the High group of their position on the list. Good luck to everyone in the upcoming weeks.

hey everyone--i'm currently trying to decide between uconn and a couple private schools.. although there are certainly things i like about uconn, the price tag is really what makes the school most appealing to me.. can anyone who has decided to go to uconn and turned down a private school to do so share with me their decision-making process? or did you make your decision based on finances? thanks a million!

hey everyone--i'm currently trying to decide between uconn and a couple private schools.. although there are certainly things i like about uconn, the price tag is really what makes the school most appealing to me.. can anyone who has decided to go to uconn and turned down a private school to do so share with me their decision-making process? or did you make your decision based on finances? thanks a million!

i turned down private schools in boston and philly. 70K budget versus 30K budget? that's a no-brainer. i'm trying to minimize cost as much as possible, and uconn does that for me. also, uconn has a smaller class size (~80) and i just like the atmosphere. people say the location sucks, but west hartford, which is 5 minutes away, is a nice place to hang out. not to mention that uconn has great match statistics, and students can get into any residency program they want coming out of there because of the strength of the school.

i don't think there are any private schools out there (with a few possible exceptions, like maybe harvard, jhu, or upenn. and even those would be a hard sell) that are worth the cost relative to uconn. but that's just me, and other's may have other priorities.

I spoke with Dr. Zeff this afternoon and he told me that they had finished up placing all the waitlisters into High/Middle/Low tiers and now they will begin numerically ranking the High group in the next couple of weeks and he also said they were planning on notifying everyone from the High group of their position on the list. Good luck to everyone in the upcoming weeks.

I don't know where I am tier-wise on the waitlist. Did Dr. Zeff tell you where you were? Should I call him to find out whether I am in high, middle, or low? I called him two weeks ago and he said they would be emailing out placements, but I haven't received anything...

I don't know where I am tier-wise on the waitlist. Did Dr. Zeff tell you where you were? Should I call him to find out whether I am in high, middle, or low? I called him two weeks ago and he said they would be emailing out placements, but I haven't received anything...

I was told a while back that I was in the High group and just recently was told that sometime in the next couple weeks we will receive an official ranking. I would contact Dr. Zeff to clarify your position if your still unsure which group your in.

Did UCONN SOM really just drop 20 places in the rankings? Doesn't make a difference to me at this point but I can't help but wonder why. Research money?

I called admissions today, they are ranking the waitlist on the 24th.

They are sending the rank out on the 24th, or are just putting together the rankings on that day?

They are ranking on the 24th, but did not specify when they are sending the rankings out.

Last edited:
My D tells me that updated Fin Aid letters should be arriving this week. Has anyone else heard that or received theirs yet? Her first was all loans but maybe with the CT budget deal finalized there will be more money to spread around.

Good luck to everone on the waitlist here or elsewhere.

Haven't yet received mine. I wouldn't bet on getting more money for this year. The new budget deal was just proposed and still needs to be approved by the state legislature, so it wasn't finalized. It's true that a lot of that money has already been approved, but UCONN knew that when they made their first financial aid offers. The updated award will just be the adjustment for the increase in the health plan.

Did UCONN SOM really just drop 20 places in the rankings? Doesn't make a difference to me at this point but I can't help but wonder why. Research money?

Most likely research funding.

On a better note, here's a story from the local news about the planned expansion of UConn. It won't even be close to finished by the time we graduate, but it's nice to know the state and university are set on improving the medical school's position

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/hartford_cty/uconn-health-center-to-get-overhaul

Any word on waitlist rankings? I called today and left a message. Has anybody heard anything?

Any word on waitlist rankings? I called today and left a message. Has anybody heard anything?

I was placed on high alternative in late February, and I haven't heard anything yet. Been holding my breath all week!

Same. HP waitlist in March. People were saying they are doing the numerical ranking on May 24. So if I don't hear by Wednesday, I am going to go to the admissions office and ask them about it.

Same. HP waitlist in March. People were saying they are doing the numerical ranking on May 24. So if I don't hear by Wednesday, I am going to go to the admissions office and ask them about it.

I called today. They said they're meeting on Tuesday and should have the final rankings. If you don't hear by Wednesday, give them a call.

how many letters did you all send to update UCONN on your activities?

how many letters did you all send to update UCONN on your activities?

None. I asked them before what type of updates to send and they said none because they already have so much info about each applicant. They also said that they would not have interviewed you if you were not qualified and that all applicants have done amazing things but a couple of additions probably wouldn't make a difference. So instead of annoying them or wasting my time writing something they would throw out, I did not send anything.

I sent a letter of interest this weekend to Uconn, since I hadn't talked to them in several months. Reply this morning places me in the middle waitlist, which they say it is possible but "highly unlikely" to receive an acceptance from.

Good luck to you all. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.