2010-2011 University of Maryland Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone can help?

Bombom, they will take them almost any way you get them there. If you already have your letters filed with AMCAS, do it that way. They do mention that you can mail them, but they must be on official letterhead (which your writers probably already did anyway) Any way you choose is fine, but I'm personally using AMCAS

I'm just about to submit this secondary, but one thing is holding me up... For the question that asks if you have done any independent research or study, does anyone know if something like prosecting a cadaver would be appropriate? I did spend many many hours prosecting after throroughly researching structures like blood vessels/nerves/muscles that would be in the area.... But I haven't done any scholarly research.

Does anyone have a feel for if this might be applicable? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Bombom, they will take them almost any way you get them there. If you already have your letters filed with AMCAS, do it that way. They do mention that you can mail them, but they must be on official letterhead (which your writers probably already did anyway) Any way you choose is fine, but I'm personally using AMCAS
Thanks man!

Hey guys, heres a question. For the secondary it asks to discuss your most important event regarding community service. Would hospital volunteering constitute community service?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, heres a question. For the secondary it asks to discuss your most important event regarding community service. Would hospital volunteering constitute community service?
Yea i believe it would

oh man this secondary is getting on my nerves...so many essays!

To those who have received the in-state confirmation email, do you remember when you sent in the form? I called them two weeks ago and they said they had gotten my form in the mail but it still needed to be processed.

Got the snail mail complete letter. Does this mean that my letters were on official letterhead? I've been rather concerned that one might not be.

To those who have received the in-state confirmation email, do you remember when you sent in the form? I called them two weeks ago and they said they had gotten my form in the mail but it still needed to be processed.

I mailed my in-state form in on July 19th. I got the confirmation on August 5th.

I hate when schools have questions that are similar to the primary - how the **** am I supposed to come up with new answers??

Hey guys, do you know what kind of area the school is located in? I am thinking about adding univ. maryland but don't know if the location would be a good place to relocate the family to.

Thanks!

i live across the street. Its not the most glamorous part of town but very close to areas that are decent. But people are now getting murdered in the decent areas too...so I don't know what to tell you. I've lived in this city for 7 years and it is ****.

But yeah definitely apply!

Members don't see this ad :)
No complete email or mail right? if all the parts are complete on the status page assume you are complete?

Hey guys, do you know what kind of area the school is located in? I am thinking about adding univ. maryland but don't know if the location would be a good place to relocate the family to.

Thanks!

You dont have to live right near the campus. Students commute from all over, ranging from other parts of baltimore city, baltimore county suburbs, dc suburbs, and more.

Plenty of the students do live right near the school, although Im not a big fan of the area.

I commute to Baltimore for work from Howard County every day and it's actually a pleasant drive. Traffic can be a little dicey on Martin Luther King Blvd (the exit to enter downtown Baltimore from 95) but it's not too bad if you account for it in your drive time.

does anyone know why it says not to copy/paste for word??

does anyone know why it says not to copy/paste for word??

it adds unecessary formats that take up characters. if you type it in word...paste it in notepad or something before pasting it into the maryland app it works fine.:thumbup:

i think they mean business when they say that said follow dirrection, their system is going to know if you paste or write dirrectly into the box. what do you guys think about this

Congrats afb100!

I was just complete yesterday, but I'm hoping for some in-state loving too

Interview invite today:

complete snail mail letter 8/16

3.4/32q/IS

i cant believe it...I didn't think I'd get a single interview. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Interview invite here too! I'm so happy! I love Maryland!!! :) 36T, 3.7

for those of you who got the invite, when were you complete?

For those of you who got interviews, how are you supposed to confirm? The email says to email back the form, but how do you fill in the form?

interview invite!

OOS, 3.7, 35P

submitted the secondary 8/3....no complete email. interview invite 9/3 so one month response.

i'm pretty sure you just give that information they request (whether you need an alternate date, your amcas number etc) back in the reply email.

anyone know when more interviews will be given out??

i think they mean business when they say that said follow dirrection, their system is going to know if you paste or write dirrectly into the box. what do you guys think about this
it doesnt even let you paste so you have no choice

Interview invite today:

complete snail mail letter 8/16

3.4/32q/IS

i cant believe it...I didn't think I'd get a single interview. Good luck everyone!
for the instate did your instate form receipt post on your status page?

I sent my in state residency form a few weeks back and it isn't on the status page. Rumor has it you will be considered complete regardless of the form.

Would working in the operating rooms count as exposure to clinical medicine (for the essay)?

Does the University of Maryland have a high preference towards those instate?

^ Great thanks. When I hear "clinical" I think...not surgery, haha.

I submitted my letters via AMCAS over a week ago and certified my application, but they haven't received any of my letters yet. Shouldn't this only take one or two business days??

The school is state funded and accepts mostly in state students. According to MSAR, OOS students comprised only 27% of the incoming class in 08.

80% of our recent incoming class i think is in state. so preference, yes.

But OOS's do get interviews. mostly, we have chunks of people from dc, va, pa, NY and CA.

80% of our recent incoming class i think is in state. so preference, yes.

But OOS's do get interviews. mostly, we have chunks of people from dc, va, pa, NY and CA.
Invite this morning!!!!
LOR received by AMCAS 9/02
Invite 9/16 IS

Interview invite!!!:soexcited:
I'm OOS and didn't think I had much of a chance with their large in state bias, but I love this school and it's where most of my family is from!

I LOVE MARYLAND!! I finally got my first interview invite! :D I'm so excited and happy!!

OOS secondary submitted Aug 4

Status
Not open for further replies.