2010-2011 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview invite!! Submitted my secondary 8/4, that was really quick. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Does the status update when you are complete? I submitted almost a week ago and my status still says "Invited to submit supplemental application"- It shows that they have received payment, secondary, and LOR's....hmmm

That means you are complete. People with uber stats are the ones getting the early quick review and invites :).

Plebs like me have to wait in the back of the line. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
That means you are complete. People with uber stats are the ones getting the early quick review and invites :).

Plebs like me have to wait in the back of the line. :D

Hah, and me as well so it seems :)

just to give hope to some of you guys out there, i was complete on 7/13 and got an interview invite on 7/19 and my stats aren't necessarily uber (3.8gpa/29mcat). i was honestly surprised when i got an invite that quickly. just be patient and i'm sure you'll get some pitt love!

:luck: everyone

Does it hurt to email admissions committee to double check that they are looking over my app?
I submitted my supplemental app but my lor came a week later and even though everything says complete I just want to double check.

Don't be that guy.

They'll email you if they need anything or if you're incomplete. Does it actually show your LORs on their website. If not, email them. If it does, don't. Unless you reeeally want to.

just to give hope to some of you guys out there, i was complete on 7/13 and got an interview invite on 7/19 and my stats aren't necessarily uber (3.8gpa/29mcat). i was honestly surprised when i got an invite that quickly. just be patient and i'm sure you'll get some pitt love!

:luck: everyone

That's actually really astonishing, I haven't heard that. Do you have something significant in your app (like a LOT of pubs, URM status, some amazing EC like you've been in the olympics, etc)?

Every single other person I've heard who got their invites this early has had both GPA and MCAT extremely high.

I feel like my application is around average. My ECs are pretty well rounded with volunteering, clinical experiences, artistic stuff, but I don't even have any pubs. I didn't get an automatic invite (I think there's some computer that sends them out if you have above a certain gpa/mcat combo), so maybe they liked my secondary essays? I have worked with a Pitt prof before, so that may have had some influence too.

Me too, I have a bunch of pubs through Pitt, and I don't think I'm getting an interview at all haha.

Are you URM (if you feel comfortable saying so)?

I'm just asking because I know about 10 people with interviews so far, and they are all 36+ and 3.8+.

I'm not URM.

Who knows? There could be other average stats people out there with interviews. Maybe I'm the only one who creeps on SDN :D

I seem to remember you were Latino from another thread, but I'm sometimes delusional like that. :laugh: Congratulations BTW! And good luck at the interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have worked at Pitt for almost 4 years with the head of their CVI. Have several national and international presentations. About 5 pending publications and a 3.8/29 MCAT and they haven't given me any love. Being Latino would automatically give you URM status. Congrats anyways and kick butt at the interview!

Okay, I'm kinda confused about what is put under the URM category. I do have Latino ancestry, but i'm as white as a ghost. I thought URM was used for specific minorities like African Americans, Mexican Americans, etc. Are white Latinos considered URM too?

Okay, I'm kinda confused about what is put under the URM category. I do have Latino ancestry, but i'm as white as a ghost. I thought URM was used for specific minorities like African Americans, Mexican Americans, etc. Are white Latinos considered URM too?

Yes :). It's about being a member of a community that has been historically underserved in medicine in the US. Statistics have shown that you are more likely to work with those populations if you come from such a background, so medical schools (rightly IMO) want to increase enrollment for people from those backgrounds.

Thanks for clarifying. In that case, I'm sure being a URM helped with my app. But I'm sure some non-URM people in my range of stats will get interviews at some point, maybe just later in the cycle. I have a few non-URM friends with average or low stats that had no problem getting interviews last year.

Yes, of course, I was just getting scared because I thought they had already passed me by after a normal (e.g, non early) review. Good luck with your interview. :)

Does it hurt to email admissions committee to double check that they are looking over my app?
I submitted my supplemental app but my lor came a week later and even though everything says complete I just want to double check.

it never hurts to ask. i did last year and got an interview sometime that week....

what if i can't think of any substantial moral or ethical dilemma?

My application status now says that it is under review!!! Woohoo! Hope this doesn't take too long!

My application status now says that it is under review!!! Woohoo! Hope this doesn't take too long!
Same here, but last year people had that until November when the rejections started rolling in.

Well...a lot of people got interviews too! Just saying don't necessarily expect to hear from them right away one way or another :).

Hey guys, I'm interviewing here in Sept, and had a question for anybody on this thread that may have already interviewed at pitt in previous years...the flight i want leaves at 530, and the email says to book after 6. do you think my 530 flight will be okay?

Hey guys, I'm interviewing here in Sept, and had a question for anybody on this thread that may have already interviewed at pitt in previous years...the flight i want leaves at 530, and the email says to book after 6. do you think my 530 flight will be okay?

I had the exact same issue, look a few comments up and you'll see the resulting discussion. From what I learned, the airport is a manageable distance from the school, and I decided to stick with my 5:30 flight.

The e-mail they send to confirm your interview says that there are optional sessions in the afternoon, so conceivably you could skip them and make it to the airport on time (despite traffic).

interview invite! submitted everything (letters were already in) on 7/9, "complete and under review" this past weekend (8/9?) and just received email. super stoked, didnt think I was going to hear from them at all, let alone this soon!

Good luck to everybody

Last edited:
Yay! Interview Invite as well! 100% exact same scenario, complete 7/9, 34R/4.0 OOS. So excited because Pitt is one of my top choices :)

About the student housing, should we just contact the students on the list by ourselves, or is there a coordinator for us to contact instead.

Another "dilemma" question - I'm backlogged on secondaries, and I wanted to run this idea by to see if it's acceptable.

In hs, one of my friends was going through some personal issues and started cutting - my friends and I were caught between trying to maintain his privacy while encouraging him to stop/willingly seek help, telling his parents, or reporting him a school counselor. He was adamant he wasn't suicidal, and we weren't sure what to do. My friends and I went with the first option and managed to convince him to talk to a counselor - he stopped before the end of hs (possibly due to the counseling, but definitely also due to personal/life developments), and is happy and healthy today. I think I would handle a similar problem differently today - deal with it more actively/directly and seek the advice of a counselor/outside help to identify discreet and helpful options.

I realize it's high school, and I'm not sure how adcoms would view the handling of the situation - but I really can't think of another moral/ethical dilemma to write about. Is it ok to write about this, also discussing how I might handle it differently now? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Interview invite today. Submitted 7/12 and complete 7/13. I have an MDApps thing if anyone wants to see stats or whatever. Congrats to everyone so far and good, good luck to everyone else.

Another "dilemma" question - I'm backlogged on secondaries, and I wanted to run this idea by to see if it's acceptable…

ai009, I wrote about a high school experience about my involvement with a bad bunch of people and something I was dragged into at one point, how I dealt with it and how I feel about it today. It sounds like you have an interesting story to tell, so I think if you get your point across clearly and focus on the dilemma/decision you were faced with, it should work it. Mine worked out for me!

Interview invite today. Submitted 7/12 and complete 7/13. I have an MDApps thing if anyone wants to see stats or whatever. Congrats to everyone so far and good, good luck to everyone else.

Congrats lovebat! When is your interview scheduled if you don't mind me asking?

Another "dilemma" question - I'm backlogged on secondaries, and I wanted to run this idea by to see if it's acceptable.

definitely acceptable. i don't think the "dilemma" has to be recent. it can be from any point in your life.

Does Pitt do auto invites? I submitted yesterday and got an interview invite today. Seems awfully fast. Not that I'm complaining. :)

Seems so, for really high stat people. Like 3.8+ and 38+ or something. You certainly fit the profile :).

About the student housing, should we just contact the students on the list by ourselves, or is there a coordinator for us to contact instead.

I'd like to know this too. I haven't seen any mention of a coordinator, and since we're given the contact info for all the students... Hmm.

I'd like to know this too. I haven't seen any mention of a coordinator, and since we're given the contact info for all the students... Hmm.

In addition to that, I would like to know how many people receive interview invitations, and how many of them are accepted each year.

Please and Thank you

When it asks for us to report our grades for our prereqs, should we report the grade our school gave us or the AMCAS grade (i.e. A+ vs A)?

Thanks!

You are expected to contact the student host and make arrangements with them on your own. That list is probably the list from last year as the first years haven't been contacted yet about hosting for interviews. Contact the 2nd years and see if they can host you but at this point some may ask you to contact the office to make arrangements with a 1st year if they are unable to host.

You are expected to contact the student host and make arrangements with them on your own. That list is probably the list from last year as the first years haven't been contacted yet about hosting for interviews. Contact the 2nd years and see if they can host you but at this point some may ask you to contact the office to make arrangements with a 1st year if they are unable to host.

Thank you for the response, good luck in your studies

Noshie, did it take awhile for the status to say that (did it just say complete before)? They just received my letters on Monday or last Friday (I'm guessing Monday), and it went to "Application is complete and under review" right away. But I haven't heard any news yet.

I spoke too soon. Just received an invite here about 5 minutes ago. I was complete around 8/13 or 8/16. Good luck to you all!

I'm an EMT, and had a case where an elderly male was in cardiac arrest, had a DNR, but the family couldn't find it, so we began CPR and resuscitation efforts even though we knew it wasn't what he or the family would of wanted, but had to due to legal obligations.

ethical dilemma?

I'm an EMT, and had a case where an elderly male was in cardiac arrest, had a DNR, but the family couldn't find it, so we began CPR and resuscitation efforts even though we knew it wasn't what he or the family would of wanted, but had to due to legal obligations.

ethical dilemma?

its a good story, but since you really had no option but to resuscitate, i dont think its a good dilemma

ethical dilemma?

I would say yes, this is an ethical dilemma. But the question is, does this ethical dilemma give Pitt the image of you that you want? Honestly, I wrote about something that was somewhat similar. The big difference was that I didn't do something even though the patient wanted me to do it because I should not have done it. You did do something even though it was against the patient's wishes because you had to do it. Is your more active role significantly different than my less active role? I'm not sure. Does one give one impression and the other give a different impression? I'm not sure again. You decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.