2010-2011 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I was complete at Pitt on 9/22. Non-trad, learning experience, yadda yadda... This seems late to me but does anyone know if this is late by Pitt standards? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so I was complete at Pitt on 9/22. Non-trad, learning experience, yadda yadda... This seems late to me but does anyone know if this is late by Pitt standards? Thanks!

I'm in the same situation as you! (also complete 9/22). I'm not sure if it's considered late by Pitt standards, but no point in worrying about it, you've done all you can now! People were getting interview invites in October last year, some a couple days after submitting, some a month. Let's just cross our fingers that they'll send out another round of invites soon!

I'm in the same situation as you! (also complete 9/22). I'm not sure if it's considered late by Pitt standards, but no point in worrying about it, you've done all you can now! People were getting interview invites in October last year, some a couple days after submitting, some a month. Let's just cross our fingers that they'll send out another round of invites soon!

Thanks Dookie! This is pretty much what I figured but the waiting is much tougher than I thought. Love to hear how things progress. I'm already in Pittsburgh so if you have any questions about the city once your invite comes, go ahead and shoot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been complete since mid-July and haven't heard anything from Pitt. I emailed them today and said I was "under review" but that's been my status for months.

Looks like I'm headed for rejection. Good luck to the rest of you!

Interview invite this afternoon! I'm so stoked!

They got my committee letter on the 28th, and interview invite on the 30th. Pitt is so very fast!

Just wanted to point out that you guys who are waiting on Pitt should log in to check if you have an interview.

Apparently I got an interview invite I'm-not-sure-how-long-ago without receiving an email. It's a pleasant surprise, but I also wish they notified us through email too.

My interview invite email was in my spam folder.

Not too late :love: I was complete after mid September and got ii :thumbup:
(OOS, high GPA, decent MCAT)

hey guys. current pitt med student here. feel free to ask any questions (by PM or otherwise) about pitt med or pittsburgh. best of luck in the app cycle!

Interview Invite 12:53pm today!!!!!!!!!:soexcited:. First one too. I'm scheduled for 11/2. Anyone else going on this day?

Interview Invite 12:53pm today!!!!!!!!!:soexcited:. First one too. I'm scheduled for 11/2. Anyone else going on this day?

Congrats!!!! When were you complete? Is that the earliest one available?

Congrats!!!! When were you complete? Is that the earliest one available?

I was complete on 10/4. These guys work so fast its amazing. That was the earliest one although from what I saw there were about 7 or 8 dates in November. Didnt really care I just clicked on the earliest date I saw.

Hey everyone! I just got back from a Pitt interview. Pretty much everything follows what has been said here on SDN- super chill interviews (my student interviewer and I talked about restaurant recommendations in NYC, lol), lots of research emphasis, HILLS!!!!! Seriously, ladies, consider bringing flats. You go back to the admission office between every session, so you'll have plenty of time to change into your nice pumps before meeting significant people. The tour is just you, other interviewers and the student tour guide, so there won't be anyone to judge you for wearing scuffed up flats.
Everyone you meet puts a lot of energy into trying to convince you that Pittsburgh is a nice city. I mentioned that I'm from NYC, so they started comparing all the landmarks to NYC landmark.
If you're flying in and out, do schedule your flight after 6. Even though the day is pretty much over by 3:30, the bus to the airport only comes every half hour, and with traffic, you could be on the bus for over an hour. I finished around 4, had to go to an atm (bus only takes exact change), and had some trouble finding the bus station. I got on the bus at 5 (got to the bus stop at 4:35 and waited for half an hour) and got to the airport around 6:10 (rush hour traffic through downtown). Had to get to the right terminal, and waited in line to go through security, and got to my gate at 6:40.
Oh, and the Associate Dean of Admissions hinted that he really wanted to see someone come in with a lime green suit!

They ever put the interviewees in groups for group questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, like kuune said, bring flat shoes for the walking tour. scaife hall and the major teaching hospital are located on a killer hill, and you're likely to roll your ankle or trip if you try to walk it in heels (unless you have awesome high heel skills, which i do not).

yeah, like kuune said, bring flat shoes for the walking tour. scaife hall and the major teaching hospital are located on a killer hill, and you're likely to roll your ankle or trip if you try to walk it in heels (unless you have awesome high heel skills, which i do not).

I have pretty awesome high heel skills :)p) and that hill was a little rough for me since I was wearing a pencil skirt. I'm sure I looked ridiculous.

Hey everyone! I just got back from a Pitt interview. Pretty much everything follows what has been said here on SDN- super chill interviews (my student interviewer and I talked about restaurant recommendations in NYC, lol), lots of research emphasis, HILLS!!!!! Seriously, ladies, consider bringing flats. You go back to the admission office between every session, so you'll have plenty of time to change into your nice pumps before meeting significant people. The tour is just you, other interviewers and the student tour guide, so there won't be anyone to judge you for wearing scuffed up flats.
Everyone you meet puts a lot of energy into trying to convince you that Pittsburgh is a nice city. I mentioned that I'm from NYC, so they started comparing all the landmarks to NYC landmark.
If you're flying in and out, do schedule your flight after 6. Even though the day is pretty much over by 3:30, the bus to the airport only comes every half hour, and with traffic, you could be on the bus for over an hour. I finished around 4, had to go to an atm (bus only takes exact change), and had some trouble finding the bus station. I got on the bus at 5 (got to the bus stop at 4:35 and waited for half an hour) and got to the airport around 6:10 (rush hour traffic through downtown). Had to get to the right terminal, and waited in line to go through security, and got to my gate at 6:40.
Oh, and the Associate Dean of Admissions hinted that he really wanted to see someone come in with a lime green suit!

Thank you so much for this info! I was pretty worried about getting to the airport in time. Your time line is SOOO helpful and appreciated! :thumbup:

I almost decided not to take flats to save space (and I'm pretty short :laugh:), but I am now convinced to take a pair.

Thank you so much for this info! I was pretty worried about getting to the airport in time. Your time line is SOOO helpful and appreciated! :thumbup:

I almost decided not to take flats to save space (and I'm pretty short :laugh:), but I am now convinced to take a pair.

Wellll I've actually brought a pair of flats to all of my interviews so far, but have never put them on. Sooo if you're used to walking in heels it should be managable (especially if you're wearing pants).

Wellll I've actually brought a pair of flats to all of my interviews so far, but have never put them on. Sooo if you're used to walking in heels it should be managable (especially if you're wearing pants).
If there is room in luggage, I would bring a pair just in case. If you arrive the night before, you can scope out the hills and determine for yourself your skills. I would estimate them being at least a 30 degree angle, and they're not short either. I had to drag my suitcase up at least 3 blocks of continuous uphill in the cold rain the night I got there. And remember, the tour is really 2-3 hours long and mostly outdoors. (I should mention that I brought flats because my interview shoes are 3 inch heels :love: )

And Wermz, there is not an "official" group interview, but when we met with one of the Admission deans first thing in the morning, she asked us to go around in a circle and state why we were interested in Pitt. Then at the end of the day the other Dean that met we us in a group setting asked a similar question. Have maybe a sentence or two prepared. You don't need to give a speech about it though. Oh, and some of the older sources say there is a third 15 minute interview with the Dean. THIS IS NO LONGER THE CASE.

If there is room in luggage, I would bring a pair just in case. If you arrive the night before, you can scope out the hills and determine for yourself your skills. I would estimate them being at least a 30 degree angle, and they're not short either. I had to drag my suitcase up at least 3 blocks of continuous uphill in the cold rain the night I got there. And remember, the tour is really 2-3 hours long and mostly outdoors. (I should mention that I brought flats because my interview shoes are 3 inch heels :love: )

And Wermz, there is not an "official" group interview, but when we met with one of the Admission deans first thing in the morning, she asked us to go around in a circle and state why we were interested in Pitt. Then at the end of the day the other Dean that met we us in a group setting asked a similar question. Have maybe a sentence or two prepared. You don't need to give a speech about it though. Oh, and some of the older sources say there is a third 15 minute interview with the Dean. THIS IS NO LONGER THE CASE.

Uh oh...I left right after I was done with my faculty interview. How long was the meeting with the other Dean, and did it seem important?

My interview shoes are also three-inch heels :D My "flats" are actually one-inch heels...d'oh.

Interview invite today! Complete on 9/22, interview on 11/03. Now more stressful waiting...

Is your app status supposed to change from "Submitted" or "Completed"? Because mine hasn't changed and it's been a month now.

Is your app status supposed to change from "Submitted" or "Completed"? Because mine hasn't changed and it's been a month now.

I scheduled my interview immediately, but I'm pretty sure it changed to "invited to schedule interview". The "Complete and Under Review" message definitely disappeared. Now my status is "interview scheduled".

If you want to be thorough, click on the "schedule interview" tab and see if it is active. Best of luck!

Interview invite today! Complete on 9/22, interview on 11/03. Now more stressful waiting...

Congrats Beard! Do you know if Pittsburgh has interviews every day of the week or is it only on particular days?

Congrats Beard! Do you know if Pittsburgh has interviews every day of the week or is it only on particular days?

According to the invite message, its every day except Thursday. This looked about right when I accessed the calendar although many days in early Nov were no longer available. I grabbed the earliest day.

has anyone heard back mstp? I have been complete for a while but havent heard anything

Got an interview today for their mstp program.

I'd rather not, but I'll pm it to you. I don't know exactly when I was complete. I submitted my application early September and both of my MSTP letters were in by the third week of September.

Last edited:
Anyone else interviewing here next week? This will be my first interview and I am nervous because my stats are below average and I am not URM. They must like my research... Regardless, this is definitely my top choice!

Complete 9/13
Interview Invite 9/17
Interview 10/20
3.8 cGPA, 3.9 sGPA

Last edited:
hey Luck, i interviewed there a few weeks ago and it was super chill! Don't stress at all, everyone is really willing to get to know you and talk to you about why they like Pitt so much. It's not about being a URM or not, but more about what makes you different from other candidates (not necessarily your research even but maybe what you learned from it and your fresh outlook on medicine etc.). Just be open, honest and sincere about your application when answering questions and you should be golden. Good luck!

interview invite today! :D complete 9/22. pretty average stats for Pitt, 34S/3.66sGPA/3.83cGPA

was getting worried since so many people got invites so soon after submitting. kind of wondering what made them wait on my app... still very excited through! I'm from Seattle but my most of my family is from the 'burgh and let's face it, Pitt is amazing, so definitely a top choice!

interview invite today! :D complete 9/22. pretty average stats for Pitt, 34S/3.66sGPA/3.83cGPA

was getting worried since so many people got invites so soon after submitting. kind of wondering what made them wait on my app... still very excited through! I'm from Seattle but my most of my family is from the 'burgh and let's face it, Pitt is amazing, so definitely a top choice!

Three weeks is not waiting hardly at all; I'd call that an invite soon after submitting. Try being complete in July without hearing a word back. Now that's "waiting on my app". ;)

Three weeks is not waiting hardly at all; I'd call that an invite soon after submitting. Try being complete in July without hearing a word back. Now that's "waiting on my app". ;)

you're right, I should appreciate any kind of invite at all! :xf:you get one soon!

Hello Everyone! Currest first year at Pitt here. Just wanted to say that this seems to be a pretty good account. Definitely be prepared for walking up and down hills on the tour. Its worth it to check out the WISER center though.

Just to throw in a quick plug here, while Pitt is an amazing research school (way more opportunities than you'll ever have time for), the focus on clicical education has been great. I'm definitely looking to be a clinician, not a researcher, so this is big for me. We started Medical interviewing on the 2nd week of school, anatomy has tons of clinical correlation lectures thrown in, and we finish Medical interviewing and start physical exam next week. After that, we're out on basically mini clinical rotations in primary care outpatient, specialty, and community clinics at least once a week. Tomorrow we even have a clinical simulation session in the WISER center to tie in with Biochem. How we'll tie in biochem to practicing procedures on manneqins I have no idea (hypoglycemic seizures? dealing with acidosis?), but it shows that they care about the clinical education side. The FP interest group had a session where they taught people to suture, staple, deliver babies, deliver joint injections, perform cervical biopsies, and implant IUDs. All in all I think its been an amazing clinical educaton for the first 7 weeks, and its only going to get better. Feel free to PM with any questions and good luck!

Thanks DocTwoB!! I interviewed here in mid September and fell in love with the school - we had an instant connection. I'm hoping for good news come November! :)

Hey, were you guys able to find out the names of your interviewers online or by calling in before the interview?

Hey, were you guys able to find out the names of your interviewers online or by calling in before the interview?

No. I got the name of my faculty interviewer at check-in. (It was on the itinerary.) I didn't find out my student interviewer's first name until we shook hands; last name came up when I got an email address for future correspondence.

Don't stress about who your interviewers will be. You'll be fine, champ.

No. I got the name of my faculty interviewer at check-in. (It was on the itinerary.) I didn't find out my student interviewer's first name until we shook hands; last name came up when I got an email address for future correspondence.

Don't stress about who your interviewers will be. You'll be fine, champ.

Ah I see. That's cool that they give you info for future correspondence. Thanks for the info tlaloc

I just got the axe, pre-interview. Notified by e-mail.

awesome, guess it went out in batches.

rejected too, ~10 minutes ago.

i'll trust that they know best who are best fit for their program, bc i thought my numbers were at least solid, 3.8/35, OOS.

^Same here. Good luck to everyone else still in the running.

When were you guys complete?
mid-september.

pretty disappointed, i like pitt, and dropped a giant f-bomb at work when i read the email. gl to everyone else thoguh!

Sorry to hear about the rejections. May I ask if these are all pre-interview? Or are some post-interview?

Sorry to hear about the rejections. May I ask if these are all pre-interview? Or are some post-interview?

Rejected as well :( It was kind of a pipe dream anyway. Pre-interview and everything was complete 9/4/2010.

Rejected today, pre-interview invite. It's alright though; just had a great interview at Harvard, and plus I kinda wrote their name wrong in one of my secondary essays... oh well. They're a great school. Good luck to all.

Comfort in numbers. I, too, was rejected pre-interview. I live in Pittsburgh right now and it is a lovely city. To those of you still in the running - good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.