2010-2011 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was waitlisted 1 week ago and got the acceptance call tonight from Dean Zic!! Interviewed Dec 3...stay positive everyone! :)

Congrats!!!! Did you send any update letters/letters of interest after interviewing?

Members don't see this ad.

^Oh they're accepting people out of the 'on hold' group? That's certainly promising.
Congrats!!

Accepted over the wknd! Interviewed Jan 10.

Folks that received scholarship offers: did you get accepted months ago or the scholarship calls coincided with the acceptance calls?

Members don't see this ad :)

Folks that received scholarship offers: did you get accepted months ago or the scholarship calls coincided with the acceptance calls?

Congrats!!! :)

And I don't think they are connected. I was accepted in October...

I was accepted first week of Jan and got the scholarship call the second week of Feb

wow so many scholarship calls, congrats everyone!

i feel like vanderbilt has already given out more than most schools do.

i am not mistaken when they said most would go out in march, right? how many do you guys think will go out then?

hey what are the big pros of going to second look? I really want to but am just hugely conflicted with that friday...im more curious about any important/mandatory info (i.e.- housing) that I could possibly be missing out on plus im still deciding amongst a bunch of schools since its not set where ill be going

thanks

hey what are the big pros of going to second look? I really want to but am just hugely conflicted with that friday...im more curious about any important/mandatory info (i.e.- housing) that I could possibly be missing out on plus im still deciding amongst a bunch of schools since its not set where ill be going

thanks

Ill be straightforward....I love medicine and I love the science and at the end of the day I want to do what I love. At the same time, some of us think about $$$ and lifestyle not as the end-of-all but a major consideration. After researching great lifestyle/$$$ paths over the past few years (I'm a 4th year med student applying to derm and my interest stems from a ton of derm-related research-nih, review projects, transplant center, etc...), I sometimes pondered as I joked with my business buddies from college, what could an MBA in healthcare consulting followed by a consulting job at Mckinsey take me? I thought about the reasons why I turned down business before- the variance/luck of it all- connections panning out, networking, etc...in order to climb the ladder to the top. I even thought why there are always a handful (4-6) Harvard MD (+ MBA?) grads go to work at Mckinsey Then again, about 12 harvard MD grads choose derm, 8 choose rad-onc, 8 choose rads...I'm sure they have earned it with their hard work to live out their dream to make $$.

So I was wondering, is a job at Mckinsey healthcare consulting worth > derm, rad onc, rads private practice given the impending healthcare reimbursement cuts and increased governmental regulation? Am I a dummy for even asking this? I am not sure what the future of Mckinsey healthcare consulting is like but I speculate there is a brighter side of obtaining a high ceiling.

Aside from the cliche "visual learner", "combining surgery with pathology" reasons and the simply inane, but perhaps ulterior "money and lifestyle" reasons for some people...how did you seriously answer the why derm question in a paragraph or two? I am guessing it stemmed a lot from discussing your experiences to answer that question than discussing the field of dermatology in an abstract sense but I would definitely appreciate a compilation of different responses from current residents to see which responses were well received by the interviewers.

thanks!

:uhno:

was anyone planning on bringing someone to second look weekend?

i don't think we can considering they are putting us in a room with someone else.

what do you guys think?

i don't think we can considering they are putting us in a room with someone else.

what do you guys think?

Yeah it looks like they want us to go alone.

what do you guys think?

I'm sure you can bring someone if you want, but obviously they're not going to pay for their accommodations as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure you can bring someone if you want, but obviously they're not going to pay for their accommodations as well.

haha i mean that makes sense i guess. i just originally figured we would get our own rooms

haha i mean that makes sense i guess. i just originally figured we would get our own rooms

LOL this reminds me of my freshman orientation. They allocated roommates alphabetically.

btw, is there a facebook group for the accepted students?

FYI, for those of you who are compulsively checking your status page on the vandy applicant portal, you can stop. I got the call from Dr. Zic today, and there have been no changes to my status page.

I post this because someone in a previous post indicated that it updates to give the option of paying the deposit/accepting the seat, which may be the case, but it doesn't happen before you get your call from Dr. Zic.

ps. Interviewed Dec. 2nd.

Congratulations!

There's no deposit. Also, are you going to Second Look?

Definitely going to second look weekend. I see it as too important and expensive of a decision to not gather as much information as possible. I made my college choice based (many, many years ago) on my first impression and it was a huge mistake, so I'm bit more cautious now.

FYI, for those of you who are compulsively checking your status page on the vandy applicant portal, you can stop. I got the call from Dr. Zic today, and there have been no changes to my status page.

I post this because someone in a previous post indicated that it updates to give the option of paying the deposit/accepting the seat, which may be the case, but it doesn't happen before you get your call from Dr. Zic.

ps. Interviewed Dec. 2nd.

wow congrats!!! I'm so glad to hear this because I interviewed the first week in December and I was beginning to lose hope. Guess there still is hope!

Hello guys. I got the call from Dr. Zic sometime last night while I was at work. He actually left a voice-mail some time yesterday because I don't think my phone had reception (there were no missed calls). It was weird because I actually found out I got in through the invitation email to the second-look and then I realized the voice-mail on my phone might be worth checking. Also interesting is that MY STATUS PAGE hasn't changed, although I received the call/invitation to 2nd look. And now, for those of you still waiting here was my timeline:

AMCAS Primary Submitted: October 14th or 15th, 2010.
Secondary Received: Around October 30th?
Secondary Submitted: December 30th, 2010
Interview Attended: January 24th, 2011
Acceptance: February 26th, 2011

Also, cGPA and BCPM GPA = 3.75, and MCAT = 38S. If it matters to any of you, I'm an out-of-state applicant. I will be at second look, I am excited to get to meet many of you!

EDIT: Got my dates for AMCAS Primary and Secondary received in the wrong month - Changed from Nov to Oct

I very much encourage you all to go to second look if you can. You will probably be getting phone calls about it in the coming weeks from current students if they do things as usual. Many people in my class remarked how it really helped them make their decisions. A lot of them also found roommates there as well. Best of luck with your decisions :)

Also, enjoy this video :)

[YOUTUBE]Y4CKE1Wu43U[/YOUTUBE]

Congrats to all the recent acceptances! I'm still (anxiously) waiting to move off of the wait-list and am really happy to see movement. Good luck to everyone!

is second look weekend where roommates are normally found?

So this month is supposed to be big with financial aid right?

So this month is supposed to be big with financial aid right?

That's what I remember hearing, yes. And I desperately hope so. But it seems that good number of scholarships have already been given out...

That's what I remember hearing, yes. And I desperately hope so. But it seems that good number of scholarships have already been given out...

yeah thats what it seems too :/

even though when i called them they definitely said most would be going out this month. mayhbe they just have a ton of money to give out :)

i do think most that have already gone out at 75% scholarships. i think they give out a good number of full and partial so who knows

I think we would be best advised to take the admissions' office word for it for a couple of reasons. First, Vandy has a lot of scholarships. Second, not everyone offered money will go to Vandy, as many of those applicants will have scholarships to other schools. Those scholarships will likely be recycled when declined. Third, people make **** up all of the time on forums. If I were looking for people to mess with on the interweb, there would be no easier target than a group of overly stress premed.

I think we would be best advised to take the admissions' office word for it for a couple of reasons. First, Vandy has a lot of scholarships. Second, not everyone offered money will go to Vandy, as many of those applicants will have scholarships to other schools. Those scholarships will likely be recycled when declined. Third, people make **** up all of the time on forums. If I were looking for people to mess with on the interweb, there would be no easier target than a group of overly stress premed.

:thumbup:

It's in everybody's best interest for these decisions to be made (and communicated to applicants) ASAP. I know it sucks to wait, but things will happen when they happen!

Any waitlisted peeps with recent acceptances?

I was about a week and a half ago. I was deferred late November, and sent in a Letter of Interest a few weeks after, telling them how much I enjoyed my visit. However, as much as I loved Vandy, I liked a school that I interviewed at later a bit more, where I would rather go, so I will be withdrawing (especially since i highly doubt I will be considered for merit scholarships at this point). So there's an extra spot there. So, yes, there is hope to those that were deferred. I'm sure another round of acceptances will come out soon as well since 2nd look is not for another month, and a letter of interest to Dr. Sagen/Admissions Committee would be a great idea. :luck:!

Last edited:
hate to see this on page 3!

sooo... anyone ever wonder where the happiest medical students saying comes from?

Hey All, I was accepted about a month ago but I was wondering if sending any updates to my application, such as Fall GPA, publications, new experiences, could possibly influence the admissions committee to offer merit scholarships?

hate to see this on page 3!

sooo... anyone ever wonder where the happiest medical students saying comes from?
There is an AAMC survey you take as a graduating senior that has lots of questions about your med school experience -- I just took it a few weeks ago. I was told this was from the results of one of these surveys. I don't know when it was though, or if it was or is still true. That being said, I've been pretty happy.

There is an AAMC survey you take as a graduating senior that has lots of questions about your med school experience -- I just took it a few weeks ago. I was told this was from the results of one of these surveys. I don't know when it was though, or if it was or is still true. That being said, I've been pretty happy.

I'm completely confused by this line of conversation.

See what Bretticus quoted. Vanderbilt presumably has "the happiest students in the nation" and someone asked where that statement came from. Bretticus is a fourth year so he just had to fill out an AAMC survey, etc.

Sorry, let me elaborate.

The person I quoted was asking about the frequently mentioned "fact" that Vanderbilt has the "happiest medical students" in the country. Basically, where does that statement come from?

This was cited at least as far back as when I interviewed, and I wouldn't be surprised if it went back further than that. I was told by someone (whom I've since forgotten) that this fact came from the pooled answers of medical students who take a senior AAMC survey. Every senior medical student in the country, as far as I'm aware, is given the opportunity (it's optional) of taking this survey. Many of the questions have to do with how your experience was during your four years, if you were ever mistreated, etc. I just took this survey a few weeks ago, as I'm a senior student.

Honestly, I have no idea whether this is actually true, though I have no reason not to believe it. I'm guessing it was specific to whichever class took that survey though, and without any updated info, I can't claim that we're still number one ;)

Anyway, I suppose there's always a chance your class could be full of monumental douches, and it would be worthless trivia! I doubt that would be the case though -- my classmates are pretty fantastic. I've enjoyed four years here, and I think most people would. We'll see how I feel after Thursday (and about 8 hours from now)... :eek:

Last edited:
Sorry, let me elaborate.

The person I quoted was asking about the frequently mentioned "fact" that Vanderbilt has the "happiest medical students" in the country. Basically, where does that statement come from?

This was cited at least as far back as when I interviewed, and I wouldn't be surprised if it went back further than that. I was told by someone (whom I've since forgotten) that this fact came from the pooled answers of medical students who take a senior AAMC survey. Every senior medical student in the country, as far as I'm aware, is given the opportunity (it's optional) of taking this survey. Many of the questions have to do with how your experience was during your four years, if you were ever mistreated, etc. I just took this survey a few weeks ago, as I'm a senior student.

Honestly, I have no idea whether this is actually true, though I have no reason not to believe it. I'm guessing it was specific to whichever class took that survey though, and without any updated info, I can't claim that we're still number one ;)

Anyway, I suppose there's always a chance your class could be full of monumental douches, and it would be worthless trivia! I doubt that would be the case though -- my classmates are pretty fantastic. I've enjoyed four years here, and I think most people would. We'll see how I feel after Thursday (and about 8 hours from now)... :eek:

Thanks. Good luck with match day, and I hope that your week is scramble free.

well...

Penn was the only school that came close to Vanderbilt for me. Waitlist there puts me one step closer to coming her.

My state school giving me a hefty scholarship would have made me consider that. They only give out 4 big ones and those are all already awarded. I know people normally drop out of these and they are awarded to students down the list, so this is still a possibility, but probably not. These two together pretty much seal the deal!

I am 90% sure I am going here now :) :) :)

Anyone hear back about money?

Vandy offered me a scholarship a while back ago but I'm not sure Nashville is diverse enough. Now that Penn's out of the picture(t1), I might just fall back to my state school since they're giving me a hefty scholarship and it's more diverse. After Second look, I'll know for sure which School is the right place

Have you ever been to Nashville outside of the interview? Nashville is extremely diverse. It's not the honky tonk city some people seem to think it is. There are affluent, predominantly white areas near the Belmont campus and there are super poor, predominantly minority communities just over the highway.

Obviously that's just one aspect, but Nashville is a REAL city. No, it's not New York, but it's also not some small town. There's a lot of culture in Nashville, and a lot of it is supported by Vandy.

Have you ever been to Nashville outside of the interview? Nashville is extremely diverse. It's not the honky tonk city some people seem to think it is. There are affluent, predominantly white areas near the Belmont campus and there are super poor, predominantly minority communities just over the highway.

Obviously that's just one aspect, but Nashville is a REAL city. No, it's not New York, but it's also not some small town. There's a lot of culture in Nashville, and a lot of it is supported by Vandy.

Diversity is a funny term. Philadelphia was by no means immune to the great white flight of the 60's and 70's. My experience in Philly was that there was a great deal of racial diversity but also a great deal of racial division and tension. But like any place, your experience will be what you make of it. That said, if you hate the sight of people wearing cowboy hats, Nashville might not be the best place for you ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.