About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2010 Destroyer ochem #50

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by fuqele, Mar 3, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. fuqele

fuqele

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hey guys,

I'm a little confused about this question. Can somebody help me?

The question gives a bunch of reactions and ask which one produces alkene. My question is for one of the choices. The reaction is a (Ch3)3-C-I reacting with Ch3OH(aq). I thought that Since Ch3OH is a weak base/nuc and the alkyl halide is tertiary, this could go E1 or SN1, so you get a mixture of both products. The answer says that it only does SN1. Can someone tell me why?

Thanks in advance. :)
  2. Neil45

Neil45 Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I think in order to yield an E1 product, you need heat. This isn't shown in choice E (sometimes heat is denoted with a triangle symbol) with the (CH3)3-C-I reacting with methanol.
  3. drejto

drejto

SDN 2+ Year Member
    The above post is correct. It is easier to think about it this way though. SN1 requires both a GOOD nucleophile and weak base however and E1 only needs a weak base. This is because the E1 will have the assistance of acid and heat to help to remove the leaving group. Since the question you have says that you have a good nucleophile and weak base, then there is no need for it to go under a E1 reaction.

http://www.chem.ucalgary.ca/courses/350/Carey5th/Ch08/ch8-9.html
  4. thejamespark

thejamespark

Pre-Dental
    oh yeah i remember this problem.
    you need heat in order to continue a elimination reaction (E1).
  5. fuqele

fuqele

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ahh, got it. Thanks for all the replies!