2010 Pre med post Bac students let's unite and go through this journey together!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cutie360

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Everyone I thought I would create a new thread for everyone who is starting or has just started their post bac program this process is long! After pre-reqs, MCATS after MCATS, APPS so it would be good to start this journey with other post bacs so we can use this thread for support, questions, advice . For starters it would be nice to write down the school you are doing your post bac at, the pace /amount of credits you are taking, and other relevant information. Hopefully we all go through this together and can all successfully get into medical school!

Here we go for starters

-American University- Pre medical post bac

-Starting this Jan taking 3 classes- Bio,chem, physics
Will not be working only volunteering on weekends..

Members don't see this ad.

I will be starting a post-bac pre-med program at UNC Greensboro in January. I was an international relations major but have decided on a career change. I will hopefully be taking Calculus, Physics, Bio and Chemistry, we'll see... I'm not sure about a job. I would really like to have a job and/or some kind of clinical volunteer experience but I'm not sure I will be able to handle it on top of classes.

I'll be starting my prereqs at Harvard Ext this spring or fall 2010. I'm debating on taking an english and calculus course before I start my science prereqs. Or I may wait until after I apply during my glide year. We'll see, either way, I'm looking forward to it. I'll be working full time, so only taking 2 classes a semester, finishing it out in 2 years. Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be starting my post bacc classes Summer 2010. Excited but scared. It's really crucial to do very well in those science classes. I haven't taken any. I'm not working so I'll be finishing in a year. DIY Post Bacc, btw.

I just finished my post-bacc pre-med classes and would be happy to answer anyone's questions. Just send me a message :)

I'm starting at Bryn Mawr in the summer. Will be a busy year taking physics, bio, and orgo simultaneously. I'm really excited to move to a new city and do something challenging with my life!

Hi guys! I used to frequent this forum but haven't been here in a while. I was in your shoes two years ago, scared, nervous, and excited to start an intense round of science classes that I'd avoided as a college student. It went by fast, and before you know it you'll be taking the MCAT and writing your personal statement and getting your first acceptance!

So good luck everybody- You're going to do great, and good on ya for having the courage and the drive to pursue your dreams.

I'm returning to the University of Colorado - Denver in the fall, starting with Chem 1, Bio 1, and algebra. I will be quitting my job and continuing to volunteer on weekends. I'll be done in either Winter 2011 or Spring 2012, MCAT in spring or summer 2012, applying to matriculate in 2013.

Hey Everyone!

I am starting class this week (post bac pre reqs) at Xavier University in Cincinnati. Taking Bio 1 and 2...starting slowly with 2 classes most likely because I'm so worried about getting anything less than an A.

I'll be taking Chemistry M-F this summer and will finish Chem 1 and 2 in just 2 months. Then on to PHYS and ORG Chem this fall. Good luck to everyone...:)

how was your overall experience, and where did you attend?? I will have to work during my post-bacc and am wondering if that is even doable....furthermore, what sis you think was the most academically challenging courses etc...

Hello,

I have a 4 yr Business degree, am working as an EMT, and also have a fulltime job at a Physical Therapy Clinic. My plans are to go back to school either this fall or next and get all my sciences in to prepare for the MCATs. I have been looking around and it seems there are no Post-Bac PreMed programs available anywhere in Minnesota. I live in Minneapolis, and love it here. I would hate to think I would have to move somewhere out of state to find a program like that. I have though of just trying to take all the science course myself at the University of MN (also where I would like to get into Med School), and hopefully that will prepare me enough for stellar MCAT scores, and acceptance to the U of M med School. Unfortunately I have a feeling my hopes are a but high...Anyone have any suggestions or know of any programs in MN that Im not seeing??

Much appreciated!
Jennifer :)

how was your overall experience, and where did you attend?? I will have to work during my post-bacc and am wondering if that is even doable....furthermore, what sis you think was the most academically challenging courses etc...

I started at San Jose State (CA), taking 2 classes/labs while commuting and working full time. This was certainly doable but I was pretty miserable; I had class T/Th and worked MWFSS without any days off. I decided by the end of the first semester that I couldn't do that for two years, so I bit the bullet, took out a bunch of loans and went back full time at San Francisco State to finish the rest of the classes. That way I came out with a little more debt but I'm starting med school a year earlier than planned, which in the long run will put me ahead financially since I no longer have the opportunity cost of delaying a solid income by an entire year. So, yes, working is doable, but working full-time should be avoided if possible. Keep in mind that at the same time you're taking classes you are expected to volunteer, gain clinical experience, do community service, research, etc. as well as getting straight A's. I know it's hard for those of us without resources but medical schools won't care that you were working and putting yourself through school. They just want to see a list of activities on your AMCAS application, and without them, you can't get in.

Experience... it was pretty intense. I had always avoided math and science classes thinking for some reason that they were for people smarter than me and that I would be doomed to fail. I was wrong. I actually enjoyed my science classes and- with the exception of Gen Chem 2- found them generally pretty straightforward. They're not harder than, say, an upper division course in History (my major in college), but they do rely on an entirely different skill set and have to be studied for in a very different way. But they all start with the basics and build on what you've already learned so no one should feel lost on the first day. For me, hardest course was Gen Chem 2, followed by Biochem. O-chem sounds scary but has no math and you get to draw pictures. Physics is tough but fascinating. Biology is interesting and just requires a lot of memorization. Calc was awful.

So in general, I would say to start lining up some ECs NOW because they can be tough to find. Clinical volunteering- whether in a homeless shelter or a hospital ED or a hospice- is essential. If you're eying a top 20 school, you'll need at least some research. Get started on MCAT prep at least 4 mos in advance and take a prep class if you can afford it (or even if you can't, like me). Do lots of practice exams. Remember your debt is going to be astronomical by the time you finish med school; what is an extra $1200 on top of that in the long run?

Anyway, I'm excited for all of you. Doing a postbacc in 2 years is all-consuming but only temporarily painful, and you'll pick up some pretty great knowledge on the way. Keep the final goal in mind at all times and you'll do great.

I'll be finishing my pre-reqs in 1 year (or so I hope) but am worried that I should be taking upper level sciences, so I'm not sure what to do about that. Is it unlikely to get into a medical school with only the pre-reqs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be finishing my pre-reqs in 1 year (or so I hope) but am worried that I should be taking upper level sciences, so I'm not sure what to do about that. Is it unlikely to get into a medical school with only the pre-reqs?

Genetics and Biochemistry are highly regarded as well. Sometimes, they are even required.

Hi all,

I have a 4 year degree in Theatre Arts, volunteered at a women's health clinic for two years, and am planning on applying for medical school. I'm finishing up my pre-med requirements for Physics, and taking biochem as a refresher course.

I'm hoping to volunteer at the emergency department at the local hospital and get some more experience.

Anyone have any suggestions or know of any programs in MN that Im not seeing??

Much appreciated!
Jennifer :)

Hey I live in Minneapolis too! Unfortunately, like you said, there aren't any post bac programs specifically for pre-med around the Twin Cities. But the good thing about the U of MN is that if you take classes there, their resources are available to you. You can register with the College of Continuing Education, and connect with students, professors and the Health Career Center (they offer workshops and career counseling).

You can also talk to the Internship office and the Service Learning office for places that take volunteers in a healthcare environment.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
hi!

well I have a bba with a low overall gpa...so i've gone back to cc to take the pre-reqs for medical school...i haven't had a job going on 2 years, so i decided to go back to school and do whatever is necessary to get into medical school...and that is what I am gonna do...whatever it takes for as long as it takes till i get in...

so last semester (Fall 09) was my first semester back in school...i just took two class to start...BIOL 1 and PRE.CALC...earned an easy A in Biol, but had to drop Pre.Calc rather than risk getting a B or even worse a C...i HAVE to get all A's in every class I take...unfortunately i a professor from hell for Pre.Calc (she has a 97% FAIL rate!!!)

I totally enjoyed my first semester back in school and am looking forward to the spring semester...i am taking BIOL 2 and PRE.CALC (again)...

I plan on retaking a math class during the 2 summer semesters and then going FULL TIME for the 2010-2011 academic school year...thats the PLAN...

but originally i decided to try to get into med school back in july 2008...and in that time I've had to revise my PLAN at least 5 times! so I'm just gonna take it slow until I get in!

to the OP: thanks for this thread I think it is a great idea...

I'm returning to the University of Colorado - Denver in the fall, starting with Chem 1, Bio 1, and algebra. I will be quitting my job and continuing to volunteer on weekends. I'll be done in either Winter 2011 or Spring 2012, MCAT in spring or summer 2012, applying to matriculate in 2013.

I'm in Denver too. I'm going to CC of Aurora for a semester then Metro State. I'm taking the same classes, but trig instead of alg. Long road ahead.

I'll be starting at Agnes Scott in Fall and will be taking Bio 1 and Orgo 1. I couldn't swing the financial aid this year so I took some of the other premed courses at the local community college.

My undergrad was in Anthropology & Human Biology (with a second major and two minors) and my graduate degree was in Space Studies.

I volunteer at a hospital in Emergency and I own a business which I am still working on.

Last edited:
I'm in Milwaukee. I'm starting Bio 1 the CC at the end of this month. Its my first pre-req, so I'm very excited! I have a lead on a volunteer position at the hospital also, so I am hoping to get some volunteer hours under my belt soon.

I wanted to do a formal post-bacc, but I have financial responsibilities that keep me from doing that now. Car loan, some credit cards, etc. I've got a stable well paying full-time job in IT, but I'm certain it isn't what I want to do with my life.

One concern I am having, and it has been debatable on this forum, is the quality of CC classes and building a competitive application. No 4 year university in the area offers science night classes besides the CC. However, I feel like I should be making forward progress and working on something.

So that is where I'm at. It's good to see everyone getting pumped about their goals!

Last edited:
I have a foreign BS and MS in Chemistry / Organic Chemistry.
Started taking clasess in the US at San Jose State Univ (CA) in 2006 - took Bio 2 (Animal Bio), 3 (Cell Bio), Physiology, Immunology, Genetics, Biochemistry, English 1 and 2.
Took a 3 semester break (had a baby) and since have decided to retake all my core science classes to build my US GPA. Since my degrees are over 10 years back and from a foreign school they don't show up on AMCAS.
Now I am starting classes at UC Berkeley Extn - taking Chem 1, Physics 1 and Embryology this Spring. Will take Calculus and Statistics in the Summer, Chem 2, Orgo 1 and Micro in the Fall and Physics 2, Orgo 2 and Molecular Bio or Anatomy in Spring 2011 and apply in 2011.
Will continue to take some Psyc and a couple of other classes in order to complete 90 credits in the US - so that I can apply for Texas schools as well - I am in CA and would love to stay here - but would apply broadly.

It may seem too many classes to some of you - but I need to show credibility taking classes and doing well in the US. I have a strong GPA for the 30 credits I have taken in the US so far and will try to keep it just as strong / better it. BTW, I also work full-time (40+ hours/week as a Manager in software development), volunteer 4 hours/week at a hospital and have a husband and 2 small children.

Post Bacc student at UH-Central- will be taking Physics II this Spring semester ; intermittently volunteering at senior homes through my church. Working full time; took Phys I and Immunology last semester; still have Org and In Org I&II to go.... oh and plan to matriculate 2013-will take MCAT and apply Fall 2011 or Spring 2012

Last edited:
I just finished my first semester + summer of post bac
gen chem I II/ochem I/phy I/bio I + labs - already done
phy II bio II ochem II biochem a&p - to do.
spring semester phy II + bio II + freaking MCAT.

I think i'm going to take ochem in the summer after MCAT and take the MCAT without ochem II.

overall GPA 3.96.
wasn't too hard. pretty exhilarating. could've studied more, but my ochem professor was soooooooooooooooo boring and i just hate ochem lab..i spent too much time on my boyfriend as well.

note to others: take the half of bio that talks about molecular stuff, cells, animal systems etc FIRST semester... at my school, that stuff was covered in bio II... i didn't know that!! the MCAT don't really care about evolution that i learned in bio I.
Now i have mcat looming, without any knowledge of any of these molecular stuff.

I'm starting this summer as well. I graduated with a BA in Communications and I've been working for a year now.

I'm starting at Georgia State University this summer to take my pre-req's. It looks like it is going to take about two years...wish it was just one!

I'm looking for a job in the meantime that is medical-related. Any ideas on working or volunteering before starting pre-reqs?

I'm starting this summer as well. I graduated with a BA in Communications and I've been working for a year now.

I'm starting at Georgia State University this summer to take my pre-req's. It looks like it is going to take about two years...wish it was just one!

I'm looking for a job in the meantime that is medical-related. Any ideas on working or volunteering before starting pre-reqs?

Google handsonnetwork.com. You can find volunteer opportunities in your area, not necessarily medically related though....

Post Bacc student at UH-Central- will be taking Physics II this Spring semester ; intermittently volunteering at senior homes through my church. Working full time; took Phys I and Immunology last semester; still have Org and In Org I&II to go.... oh and plan to matriculate 2013-will take MCAT and apply Fall 2011 or Spring 2012

HI Southerngrl,

i was considering completing my post bacc at UH...what can you tell me about the program from a non-trad student standpoint?

Thanks

I'll be starting at Agnes Scott in Fall and will be taking Bio 1 and Orgo 1. I couldn't swing the financial aid this year so I took some of the other premed courses at the local community college.

My undergrad was in Anthropology & Human Biology (with a second major and two minors) and my graduate degree was in Space Studies.

I volunteer at a hospital in Emergency and I own a business which I am still working on.

I'm in the process of applying to Agnes Scott. The deadline is March 1, so I'm going to to try to get my application in before then. The program seems very intense, but I talked to a girl yesterday that attended the program from 2007-2008 and she had very good things to say about it. She's a first year at Medical College of Georgia now. I'm wondering if I should do what you did, and take some of the pre-reqs before I start the program, that way I won't have to take org. chem, bio, physics and calculus ALL in the one semester! what do you think? (I've already taken gen chem 1 and 2)

Look into Agnes Scott's post bacc program. It's geared towards non-traditional students and they have a very good reputation. I'm in the process of applying there right now.

I'm in the process of applying to Agnes Scott. The deadline is March 1, so I'm going to to try to get my application in before then. The program seems very intense, but I talked to a girl yesterday that attended the program from 2007-2008 and she had very good things to say about it. She's a first year at Medical College of Georgia now. I'm wondering if I should do what you did, and take some of the pre-reqs before I start the program, that way I won't have to take org. chem, bio, physics and calculus ALL in the one semester! what do you think? (I've already taken gen chem 1 and 2)

Well I already had the pre-reqs of Gen Chem (I'm retaking because it has been a while) and technically of the Bio sequence too, but they wouldn't transfer the Bio credits over. Calculus 1 & 2 and the Physics sequences are recommended but not required so you don't have to take them unless you want to. I figured I had 8 credits of college math so I wasn't going to worry about retaking Calc. The Physics sequence I wanted to take so I did. If you can take some of the recommended courses at GPC or something you can, it's not going to hurt you, but it might not help you much either.

They offer a linkage with Mercer University now, but Mercer doesn't seem like a really good school. By the stats, everything else in Georgia seems higher and that includes the new DO school that opened a few years ago so I might not take advantage of the linkage and compete as a normal applicant to better schools. Also Agnes Scott gives a free MCAT class for their PMPB students. That might be of interest to you. I'll be starting in Fall so hopefully things will work out for me.

Dekalb Medical has volunteer opportunities.

I've been accepted into Agnes Scott Post-Bacc Pre-Med program for the 2010 year. Does anyone know of the benefits of starting in the summer vs the fall? I want to start fall so that I can save up more money, but don't want to make the whole process harder for myself if that's the case. Also, does anyone know of any graduates from the program?

HI Southerngrl,

i was considering completing my post bacc at UH...what can you tell me about the program from a non-trad student standpoint?

Thanks

Hey! Got this message late but to answer your question I don't believe there is a actual postbacc program at UH. I just meant that I have my bachelor's degree and the university has me decalred as a postbacc student. I am now able to take whatever courses there I need for my premed pursuit. Good luck to you!

I will be starting a post-bac pre-med program at UNC Greensboro in January. I was an international relations major but have decided on a career change. I will hopefully be taking Calculus, Physics, Bio and Chemistry, we'll see... I'm not sure about a job. I would really like to have a job and/or some kind of clinical volunteer experience but I'm not sure I will be able to handle it on top of classes.

Hi, I have been accepted to UNCG post bacc program this fall 2010. How has your semester been so far. I understand you are busy but I would really appreciate it if you could answer a few questions for me.
1. How are the professors (support ) and the curriculum?
2. Where are good places to reside off campus?
3. Is there a community of post bacc students or are they split since we are considered second degree students?

I think thats all I have for now. Thank you soo much!!:)

Hi there,
I have been accepted to UNCG pre medical post bacc program. Can anyone tell me anything about the program?
Thanks

malissa1

You might not have a choice in when you start. They only offer Chem 1-2 over summer (according to Dr. D.) and you have to have them before you take Orgo which is fall. Contrary to what is in some of the literature about it being a one or two year program, you can only get aid for one year. I had to defer a year in order to get my financial aid straightened out (and it still isn't fixed, ARGH!!)

There are many graduates from the program throughout Georgia.

I've been accepted into Agnes Scott Post-Bacc Pre-Med program for the 2010 year. Does anyone know of the benefits of starting in the summer vs the fall? I want to start fall so that I can save up more money, but don't want to make the whole process harder for myself if that's the case. Also, does anyone know of any graduates from the program?

I just found out that I have been working with an Agnes Scott PMPB who is in the process of applying. This is the first time we've have a long convo so now I know much more than I did before!

I have just been accepted to University of Colorado at Boulder for summer semester and am not sure what classes I am going to be starting. I am doing post bacc work not because I don't have sciences, my undergrad is in Biochem, but because I need to up my undergraduate GPA (was not planning on this change in career choice). I am hoping to accomplish 2 summer courses, but I have to continue working full time to support the family. Crossing my fingers that my husband will finish school and be able to support the four of us in time for me to start med school. For now I am just going to do as much as I can with what time I do have. Wish me luck!

Well, there's no formal post-bacc program around here.

Instead, I'm returning to school and making it up as I go. I'm quitting my job in law enforcement although I've largely been in a "promoted" admin role the last couple of years. I guess you might call this my leadership experience too since I've supervised nearly 50 people depending on whether or not my boss was there. I do written evaluations on four personally.

My clinical experience is limited to my past work as a paramedic and all of the rotations one participates in during paramedic school.

My volunteer experience is basically eight years of volunteer firefighting. The first six saw me as highly involved. The last two haven't allowed for that as much.

My tutoring / other experience was gained by spending a couple of years as a high school science teacher. I liked the subjects, but the job wasn't for me. I only got into it because I had a degree and couldn't find anything else. I didn't study any education in college.

I'm quitting my current job and moving because there is NO other way for me to do this. I'm kind of bummed about that. Well, not kind of. I am bummed. I'm taking a part-time job as a 911/police dispatcher to pay for living.

My research experience consists of me surfing Yahoo. :p

My courses start this summer with general chemistry I and II. This fall brings about genetics, organic chemistry, physics, and labs for each. Those schedules are set.

Good luck everybody.

I'm doing an "a la carte" at University of Houston. Just quit my job this January to take a full load of classes starting Spring 2010 semester. I am volunteering 6 hrs a week (medical + nonmedical), and going to start working in a lab for my biochem prof this summer.

Plan is to knock my remaining pre-reqs out (Bio 1 & 2 + labs) and some extras: biochem, anatomy, physiology, genetics, microbio, possibly cell bio, and a few non-science "for fun" classes. I'll be done December 2010 (after 3 semesters), take an MCAT prep course in early 2011, take the MCAT, get a 45 (haha) and apply...

Good luck to us all......

Last edited:
Hello Everyone, I'll be completing my post-bac premed program at VCU. I start in August. Good luck to all of you!

Hi!

I noticed a couple of you were from Minneapolis, and I wanted to join the club! I am also looking at classes at the U of Minnesota for next Spring, but I've had a very difficult time figuring out how to go about this. When I spoke to the admins at the CCE, they said it wouldn't be the best idea to go this route and that I would be better off just showing up on the first day of class, and hoping that someone drops out so that I could get into a lab section. This sounds risky to me and a potential time waster. How do you plan your life when taking classes would be this tentative? Did this work for anyone else at the U? If not, how did you get around it?

Thanks!

Hi Funkydays,

I'm also from the Twin Cities and was hoping to take pre-med classes at the U. However, when I spoke to the people at the CCE, they discouraged me from going this direction and said to simply take classes as a non-degree seeking student, which means I wouldn't belong to any school or department. How did you get around this?

Thanks!

Did anyone look into the LECOM postbac program. It's probably the closest you'll get to med school without matriculating. This way you'll get an idea of what med school is like and you'll have a chance at a guaranteed interview if you satisfy a few requirements.

I feel at home already

I applied to Cal State Fullertn's Post-Bacc program. Anyone here attending? I'm taking pre-pre-reques this semester (intro to chem and precalclus). Both are prerequesites to getting into the program. I'm a "strong applicant" by their words yet they are waiting to see how I preform in the classes. I need B's. Chem is going well but I may get a C in precalc. Basically freaking out.

Back to studying math now...

Best wishes to you all! Enjoy the summer before the next semester starts!

~Hume

Is the issue that as a non-degree student you can't register for a class or is the lab class you want to take simply full? The only potential problem I could possibly see in registering as a formal premed undergrad is that when you apply to med school some adcom member or interviewer could ask why did you declare a major that you weren't going to complete but I that would be very, very tiny chance.

The only thing could be that if they have a very strict premed university committee policy that won't write you a letter unless you finish the major but again that is rare (though I do know here in New York, that Stony Brook has such a policy, though I that seems more due to the sheer number of alleged premeds).

I would suggest trying to talk directly with the UG premed advising staff on this.

Thanks for the advice, gonnif!

I've been seriously considering returning to the U of Wisconsin-River Falls. It's a longer drive for me than the U of M by a good 25 min., but they do admit post-baccs into their regular science programs (technically, I'm a Biomedical Science major at that school). The more I think and talk about it, the more it seems like a no-brainer to return there. I just hate driving more than I need to, I guess. :)

Btw, I've appreciated reading your other posts on SDN as well as Old Premeds! You are an encouragement to many people, including me.

Best wishes. . .

I have a BBA in Management. I'm right in the middle of my post-bac prereq's...I should be done in December, take an MCAT prep course next spring, MCAT in April, apply in May/June. Right now I'm taking bio 2 and o-chem 2. I work full-time as a paramedic.

I will be starting at the UNCG post bacc program in the Fall. Are there others, besides the two who have posted earlier, participating in this program?

I am currently a post-bac pre-med at Loyola University...I started this Spring and only got a 3.4...I'm hoping my summer classes go better :scared:

Hello,

Everyone I thought I would create a new thread for everyone who is starting or has just started their post bac program this process is long! After pre-reqs, MCATS after MCATS, APPS so it would be good to start this journey with other post bacs so we can use this thread for support, questions, advice . For starters it would be nice to write down the school you are doing your post bac at, the pace /amount of credits you are taking, and other relevant information. Hopefully we all go through this together and can all successfully get into medical school!

Here we go for starters

-American University- Pre medical post bac

-Starting this Jan taking 3 classes- Bio,chem, physics
Will not be working only volunteering on weekends..

I noticed that you are starting in January. I will be finishing my undergrad after the fall of next year, and I wasn't sure if any post bacc programs started in January as opposed to starting in August. Could you let me know if you know any more details about that? Any other programs that do that, if it's common or not? Also, How long is you post-bacc program for? Can you enter med-school in January term?

THANks!!