2011-2012 Cornell University (Weill) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And whoops! Forgot to say-- good luck to everyone! It's a crazy process, but you'll make it!

Members don't see this ad.

I was verified June 2... no response from Cornell, or any other school I applied to...any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
My parents are neither alumni nor faculty members at Weill. Should I still list their first and last names on the application, or should I leave the whole "affiliation" section blank?

My parents are neither alumni nor faculty members at Weill. Should I still list their first and last names on the application, or should I leave the whole "affiliation" section blank?
I found through personal trial and error that if you try to enter your parents' names without checking either of the "affiliation" boxes, it doesn't let you save/submit the form. So, I am just leaving it blank.

Submitted earlier in the week... The wait begins (Secondary)

Hi All,

Just finished my first year at WCMC. Am very active in the Music and Medicine initiative, and would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about the program. We do provide funding and access to coaching at Juilliard. We also have an incredibly awesome music room, access to funding to go to the opera on the school's dime, and in general, we have an incredible forum in which network with our fellow musicians!

This may be the coolest thing I've ever seen. I am practically shaking in my socks in excitement. I'm gonna be a jazz musican AND an MD, and in New York no less!

Last edited:
So I submitted the secondary and there was a message stating that I must click the button above for my application to be processed.... and there was no button. Anyone else have this problem?

So I submitted the secondary and there was a message stating that I must click the button above for my application to be processed.... and there was no button. Anyone else have this problem?
My button was below the message instead of above, although I did notice it said "above." I'm pretty sure that was a typo, so as long as you clicked the one below you should be fine.

Hey guys,

I just submitted my secondary for WCMC and I am slightly neurotic about the way i filled it out.

1) On my AMCAS courses, I have listed that I would be taking EN 3452 Dostoevsky (in translation). However, I have decided to take Chekhov Plays and Short Stories EN 3453 instead. Would this course change affect my application to WCMC? Should I notify AMCAS about this change?

2) I will be completing my English requirement in Fall 2011. Would this hinder the application in any way?

3) While filling out the secondary application, some of my courses spanned Fall and Winter semesters. I listed them as Fall courses only, even though their course weight is worth two semesters. Is this page only used to varify that I have completed all of my prerequisites?

4)One final question, while filling out referee names, I have noticed that I must include the Institution name. Two of my referees are from York University, but another reference is coming from a hospital coordinator. Does WCMC require three academic reference letters? Could I send more than three reference letters?

Hey guys,

I just submitted my secondary for WCMC and I am slightly neurotic about the way i filled it out.

1) On my AMCAS courses, I have listed that I would be taking EN 3452 Dostoevsky (in translation). However, I have decided to take Chekhov Plays and Short Stories EN 3453 instead. Would this course change affect my application to WCMC? Should I notify AMCAS about this change?

2) I will be completing my English requirement in Fall 2011. Would this hinder the application in any way?

3) While filling out the secondary application, some of my courses spanned Fall and Winter semesters. I listed them as Fall courses only, even though their course weight is worth two semesters. Is this page only used to varify that I have completed all of my prerequisites?

4)One final question, while filling out referee names, I have noticed that I must include the Institution name. Two of my referees are from York University, but another reference is coming from a hospital coordinator. Does WCMC require three academic reference letters? Could I send more than three reference letters?

1) No, you should not notify AMCAS. See page 42 of the AMCAS instructions manual https://www.aamc.org/students/download/131750/data/2012amcasinstructionmanual.pdf

"AMCAS will not add, remove, or modify Current/Future courses after the application is submitted. If this information changes, please contact the medical school(s) directly."

2) No, see Cornell's FAQ's http://www.med.cornell.edu/education/admissions/app_faq.html

"If I haven't completed my prerequisites, can I still apply?
Yes, but all prerequisites must be completed by January 31 of the year for which admission is sought."

3) I'm not sure, so I'll let someone else answer.

4) Assuming your school does not have a premed committee, then you don't need any more rec letters. http://www.med.cornell.edu/education/admissions/app_faq.html#reco_letters

"How many letters of recommendation do I need to submit?
We require letters of recommendation, either a composite letter of recommendation from the applicant's university pre-health careers advising office (preferred), or two letters from others such as teachers and supervisors in work, service or research. Applicants should request letters from persons who know them well and can discuss their capabilities, accomplishments, and character. A teacher, whether at the undergraduate or graduate level, should be one who has worked with the applicant personally. If the applicant has had a substantial research, work, clinical or service experience, WCMC requests a letter from the supervisor in that experience. Letters should be submitted through AMCAS.

Can I send letters from employers, doctors, current students, etc?
You may submit letters from other persons who know you and can appraise your qualifications for the practice of medicine, but these do not obviate the required letters of recommendation. We prefer letters from people who know you well."

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in CA (but go to school in Boston), and I am going to be in NYC in about a week. I am very interested in attending Cornell for medical school. Is there any chance that a current med student might want to meet me for coffee to discuss your experience so far at Weill? I'd love to speak with someone in person. Thanks so much!

Submitted. So excited, especially for Music and Medicine! I've spoken to Dr. Shapiro on the phone, and he seems like a really nice guy too. And we're both drummers :)

Submitted. So excited, especially for Music and Medicine! I've spoken to Dr. Shapiro on the phone, and he seems like a really nice guy too. And we're both drummers :)

I talked to Dr. Shapiro on the phone too!!! He seems super nice. I'm so excited about Cornell!!!!!!

I have some friends who have done training (med school, residency and fellowship) across the major medical schools in NYC, and I've heard from quite a few people that they thought students at Cornell were treated the worst (by faculty and I guess administration) and that it had the most internal competition and 'infighting' between students. This is highly subjective of course, but it was repeated to me by at least three different people in different stages of their training who don't know each other.

Does anyone else have an opinion or specific knowledge on this?

There have already been posts to this thread about extra-curricular activities in things like music, so at least some people are not spending 24/7 in utter misery, but if anyone has anything to contribute on relative quality of life issues in NYC schools, it would be useful information.

^

I'd love if someone could comment on this. I've seen some discontented Cornell students' posts from a few years back, but a lot can change in a few years.

Also, if possible, commentary on PBL. Is it all that it's cracked up to be?

I have some friends who have done training (med school, residency and fellowship) across the major medical schools in NYC, and I've heard from quite a few people that they thought students at Cornell were treated the worst (by faculty and I guess administration) and that it had the most internal competition and 'infighting' between students. This is highly subjective of course, but it was repeated to me by at least three different people in different stages of their training who don't know each other.

There have already been posts to this thread about extra-curricular activities in things like music, so at least some people are not spending 24/7 in utter misery, but if anyone has anything to contribute on relative quality of life issues in NYC schools, it would be useful information.

I've met two physicians that have said this specifically about Cornell.

Oh great, no rolling, and the first school I finished the secondary for. :(

This school is non-rolling?

*back of the pile it goes*

Schools are non-rolling in terms of giving out acceptances. They are rolling in terms of giving out interviews; so putting off the application is probably not a good idea.

Does anyone know if there is an official status page for Cornell? I tried checking the link/site for the secondary and all it says is that my application is complete and submitted.

Does anyone know if there is an official status page for Cornell? I tried checking the link/site for the secondary and all it says is that my application is complete and submitted.
http://osaf-status.med.cornell.edu/

I think they tell you about this site right after you submit, but I can't find any other mention of it in e-mail, on their website, etc.

I have a hard time believing this but maybe that's because I automatically associate medical school in NYC with paradise :laugh:

I have also heard this from a couple people now. I would like nothing more to find out that this reputation is completely false, so....

Can we get some input from current/former med students?

Hm. The Cornell thread is pretty quiet...

Anyway, I am trying to answer the "why cornell" question and I am having a difficult time. I've answered the same for a couple of other schools already, but somehow Cornell's isn't as easy to rationalize. Apart from its location in NYC, I haven't come across anything "unique" about Cornell (regarding its curriculum and whatnot). Am I missing something?? I will mention the Music program, but I don't want that and Cornell's location to be the two sole reasons...

Anyway, I am trying to answer the "why cornell" question and I am having a difficult time. I've answered the same for a couple of other schools already, but somehow Cornell's isn't as easy to rationalize. Apart from its location in NYC, I haven't come across anything "unique" about Cornell (regarding its curriculum and whatnot). Am I missing something?? I will mention the Music program, but I don't want that and Cornell's location to be the two sole reasons...

You're telling me. I wasn't even interested in the music program, which made it doubly tough to answer this question. Good luck.

Schools are non-rolling in terms of giving out acceptances. They are rolling in terms of giving out interviews; so putting off the application is probably not a good idea.

True, but interviewing earlier doesn't help you either. I'm just playing my chances -- I'd rather have an earlier interview at a rolling school and a later one at a non-rolling school because it'd give me the best probability of getting an acceptance.

And I doubt putting it of for around 10 days will significantly hamper someone's chances when we're talking about July and August secondary submissions.

On behalf of current/former students, I'm sorry that these rumors were not addressed earlier, but these threads are not checked as much during the summer time.

While I can't compare Cornell to other institutions in the city, I can tell you that I always felt respected and supported at Cornell. The administration is excellent, and always available to answers questions and help with career and life advice. The faculty is also eager to have medical students on their services and in their ORs, for teaching and shadowing, etc. Since we aren't associated with a nearby undergrad with premeds, your only competition for clinical time is with other members of the med school, so there is always plenty of faculty time to go around.

As far as competition is concerned, this was a question that came up frequently a couple years ago, when we were an honors/pass/fail system. I didn't think it was a problem then, but we've now moved to just pass/fail for the first 2 years. And as the underclassmen will assure you, it's amazing, and has removed any semblance of competition that we once had. As you enter 3rd/4th year, it's inherent to have some competition as students begin to find their niche and prepare for residency, but it was never overwhelming. There is still plenty of collaboration as students prepare for exams and help each other through rotations. Applying for residency is tense, but that's a byproduct of the Match, and not a Cornell specific issue.

The only thing I'll say about other schools in Manhattan is that I hear rumors that they spread a lot of rumors. I'll tell you that there are some really excellent medical schools in NYC, and they all have their strengths. I can't speak with any authority for other schools, so I'd be careful believing any rumors that you hear about Cornell from other schools. Many rumors (such as us not having a real clinical experience - not true) have been propagated for many years without much basis.

If you have other questions, please don't hesitate to email me directly. My Cornell email will work indefinitely. bpb2001 AT med.cornell.edu

Also, if possible, commentary on PBL. Is it all that it's cracked up to be?

It's now been a couple of years since I was in PBL, but I can assure you that it was in fact all that and more. It's a part of Cornell's curriculum that they are extremely proud of, so they have given it a signficant commitment. Faculty line up to teach PBL, and only the good ones are kept around.

Especially now that the curriculum is pass/fail, PBL is a chance for you to interact with your peers in a hybrid of basic science and clinical medicine. Information you learn in lectures is put into practice in PBL. And by the time you're a third year student, you are very well prepared for the life of a med student. You know how to look up information, and how to present it in a concise manner - and those are two of the most important skills of a 3rd year student.

It's now been a couple of years since I was in PBL, but I can assure you that it was in fact all that and more. It's a part of Cornell's curriculum that they are extremely proud of, so they have given it a signficant commitment. Faculty line up to teach PBL, and only the good ones are kept around.

Especially now that the curriculum is pass/fail, PBL is a chance for you to interact with your peers in a hybrid of basic science and clinical medicine. Information you learn in lectures is put into practice in PBL. And by the time you're a third year student, you are very well prepared for the life of a med student. You know how to look up information, and how to present it in a concise manner - and those are two of the most important skills of a 3rd year student.

This and your other post are great/comforting to hear. Thank you for your post bbabul01.

I mentioned WC Community Service Program and a couple of the other clubs. NY Presbyterian, which goes along with it being in NYC. I hit the international experiences as well. However, I centered upon the Advanced Biomedical Science (ABS) Experience as a unique part of the curriculum. You can mention graduating with an Honors in Service if you are pressing that in the rest of the application. There is plenty of little things spread out throughout the website or condensed in the student manual that can make a generic answer a lot more specific. In fact, the first thing I normally do for these questions is look for the student handbook online.

Anyone know when interviews go out?

Your Application has successfully been submitted and is under review by our admissions staff
Just checked status page. Does this mean I'm complete or that my secondary is complete?

Just added Weill to AMCAS. Come on alma mater, show me some love! :xf:

Does anyone have the essay prompts for the secondary? I've skimmed through the thread, but I don't see any posts relating to the specific questions.

I submitted my secondary on Thursday, and on Friday the status page said:

Your Application has successfully been submitted and is under review by our admissions staff

I just (neurotically) checked it again and it's back to:

Your application is incomplete...

:confused:

Has this happened to anyone else? Of course it would have to be the weekend so I can't just call and ask. This is going to drive me nuts until Monday...

Status
Not open for further replies.