2011-2012 Drexel Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
*cricket noise*

...maybe Drexel over-accepted...?

Members don't see this ad.

*cricket noise*

...maybe Drexel over-accepted...?

I recall them saying that they were issuing 600 acceptances (it was on the power point presentation). I'm hoping that figure includes the acceptances off the WL. I've read somewhere on the thread that a few years ago they were either forced to over enroll, or almost had to, so I would think they would play it safe. All this is hearsay of course, except for the acceptance figure, which was straight of their ppt: 1000+ interviews (I think it was in the neighborhood of 1200), 600 acceptances, 260 seats.

I recall them saying that they were issuing 600 acceptances (it was on the power point presentation). I'm hoping that figure includes the acceptances off the WL. I've read somewhere on the thread that a few years ago they were either forced to over enroll, or almost had to, so I would think they would play it safe. All this is hearsay of course, except for the acceptance figure, which was straight of their ppt: 1000+ interviews (I think it was in the neighborhood of 1200), 600 acceptances, 260 seats.

I remember that from the presentation as well. There is no way that the 600 acceptances does not include acceptances off the WL....they wouldnt accept 600 people outright for 260 seats...

....im betting we start seeing a lot of movement come next tuesday

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the significance of next Tuesday?

There's a recurring trend in which Dr. Parrish calls on Tuesdays. If you look at previous threads Tuesdays are THE days to keep your phone on you at all times lol..... The one person to get off the WL thus far was called on a Tuesday.

Tbi, I sure hope you're right!! :thumbup:

With the Class of 2011 (applicants cycle 2006-2007) there was an anomaly in how many students enrolled. Drexel had sent out the usual/calculated number of acceptances, however, for some reason, there was 20+ more students planning to enroll.

Also, heads up. I'm not sure if they mentioned this, but there will be a new Dean of Student Affairs (not sure when the transition is). Dr. Parrish is taking a position as the inaugural Dean at a new medical school opening up next year. Dr. Amy Fuchs (previously Associate Dean) has been appointed as the new Dean of Student Affairs. She will be remarkable and I wish I could be at Drexel under her leadership. She did so much for the medical students. In addition, to her role in Student Affairs, she was a practicing ID attending, MS2 Clinical Medicine professor, Internal Medicine Pathway Director, and pretty much adviser to most 4th year med students when it came to residency apps and ROLs. Can't say enough for how awesome she is.

So is the wait list done moving?

To be honest we can only speculate, and I don't think the admissions office will answer any questions in regards to movement or seats available. Keep in mind that no movement on SDN, does not indicate that there's no movement at all because not everyone uses SDN. All we can do is wait and hope for the best. :xf:

To be honest we can only speculate, and I don't think the admissions office will answer any questions in regards to movement or seats available. Keep in mind that no movement on SDN, does not indicate that there's no movement at all because not everyone uses SDN. All we can do is wait and hope for the best. :xf:
All good points to keep in mind. Last year, people came off the waitlist up through orientation.

Does Drexel make you buy a specific laptop for their school, or can I buy a MacBook and not have any issues?

Does Drexel make you buy a specific laptop for their school, or can I buy a MacBook and not have any issues?
They're not exactly Mac friendly, but many of us have them and do just fine. They did recently add the newest edition of Silverlight so now it's easier for us to watch lectures at 2x. Everything else we've used for school is Mac-compatible.

I just withdrew my acceptance on Wednesday. Hope that opens a spot for someone! Good luck everyone!

I just withdrew my acceptance on Wednesday. Hope that opens a spot for someone! Good luck everyone!

DIBS!!!.... Lol... If only..:sigh:

Courtnes, thanks for lifting my spirits! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
DIBS!!!.... Lol... If only..:sigh:

Courtnes, thanks for lifting my spirits! :)
No problem, DJDT! Hang in there, and don't forget to keep updating/checking in with the admissions office. Letters of intent are probably not a bad idea in these upcoming weeks if you guys haven't done so.

Hey guys,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the waitlist is still moving :) I got the call yesterday noon (sorry to break the Tuesday trend) after sending them an Interest/Update Letter at 11am so who knows, letters might actually work ;) I am pretty sure that I'll be attending in the fall and good luck to everyone else on the waitlist!

Just got the call this afternoon! First acceptance for me too! The WL is still moving guys, hang in there!

I received a call yesterday (Tuesday) and was removed from the wait list! Drexel class of 2016!!

Any new acceptees looking for roommates? Was recently accepted as well and now apartment searching. Checking out living in center city but considering elsewhere as well. Let me know!

Hey guys,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the waitlist is still moving :) I got the call yesterday noon (sorry to break the Tuesday trend) after sending them an Interest/Update Letter at 11am so who knows, letters might actually work ;) I am pretty sure that I'll be attending in the fall and good luck to everyone else on the waitlist!

I am also on the waitlist, and I sent a LOI, how did you send yours? Email or snail mail, and what address did you use?

I am also on the waitlist, and I sent a LOI, how did you send yours? Email or snail mail, and what address did you use?

I sent mine via email to [email protected] and cc-ed it to Dean Parrish on June 18th. I got an autoreply out of office email from Dean Parrish saying he's on vacation until May 31st...

I got my call about an hour later, not from Dean Parrish though and yes, it was a Monday. But many people got calls off the waitlist the day after so maybe I only found out earlier because of my email?

I sent several emails to medstat(at)drexel.edu after May 15th and called to follow up this week. The woman I spoke to said there hadn't been anything added to my file, including an additional letter of recommendation sent two weeks ago.

Needless to say, i was not happy. she gave me an alternate email address (i believe her own Drexel acct), to which i had the letter of rec and an update/LOI sent, and she replied quickly to say it was added to my file.

Definitely call to make sure your emails are going through

Hey guys do you think Georgetown SMP is worth the money if wait listed at Drexel this year or would you advise doing something else as I reapply?

29 O Mcat 3.59 gpa (plan to retake mcat in August)

Thanks for the help!

Hey guys do you think Georgetown SMP is worth the money if wait listed at Drexel this year or would you advise doing something else as I reapply?

29 O Mcat 3.59 gpa (plan to retake mcat in August)

Thanks for the help!

I would say no, but it's not really a question of money. Your GPA is already fine, so an SMP wouldn't help much even if you did great, but could really destroy your hopes for acceptance if you don't manage to beat the averages.

I sent several emails to medstat(at)drexel.edu after May 15th and called to follow up this week. The woman I spoke to said there hadn't been anything added to my file, including an additional letter of recommendation sent two weeks ago.

Needless to say, i was not happy. she gave me an alternate email address (i believe her own Drexel acct), to which i had the letter of rec and an update/LOI sent, and she replied quickly to say it was added to my file.

Definitely call to make sure your emails are going through

Decided to take your advice, and as it turns out, they never received my final grades or letter of intent, which I also sent in May :eek: :wow:+pissed+:wtf: ....Sent it again, hoping for the best :xf::luck: ... I need a drink

Hi, I was wondering if any recently accepted students from the waitlist has gotten any information regarding orientation. I was accepted about two weeks ago, and I've gotten the acceptance package and the financial aid package, but that's about it. Is it supposed to be an email or something?

Also, I tried emailing the person the package said to contact if you're interested in PIL, but she hasn't responded. Are we supposed to get a response?

Hi, I was wondering if any recently accepted students from the waitlist has gotten any information regarding orientation. I was accepted about two weeks ago, and I've gotten the acceptance package and the financial aid package, but that's about it. Is it supposed to be an email or something?

Also, I tried emailing the person the package said to contact if you're interested in PIL, but she hasn't responded. Are we supposed to get a response?
Sent you a PM about orientation stuff, lwang19.

Also, the PIL office is normally pretty responsive but I would keep trying them. Some of them may be taking summer vacations.

Can anyone PM me the e-mail of the person we send our letters of interest/grades to? I'm out of the country right now. Thanks, much appreciated.

I sent in 3-4 letters since April and I'm sad. :(

I sent mine via email to [email protected] and cc-ed it to Dean Parrish on June 18th. I got an autoreply out of office email from Dean Parrish saying he's on vacation until May 31st...

I got my call about an hour later, not from Dean Parrish though and yes, it was a Monday. But many people got calls off the waitlist the day after so maybe I only found out earlier because of my email?
What is Dean Parrish's email?

I just found out that none of my interest or update letters have been added to my file since April, and I just resent them all to someone's private email :( This is a sucky mistake on their part.

Drexel is my only one, so I really hope I get in! I loved the school.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but since the decision deadline has passed, I don't think there will be much more movement on the wait list.

I know someone that was accepted here within the last week.

I know someone that was accepted here within the last week.

I misspoke before. I meant to say that there may be a little more movement, but not a lot at this point. If anyone gives up their spot, it is because they were accepted somewhere else at the last minute. Fingers crossed that this happens so that the people who really want to go to Drexel can get in.

Still no interview invite! I still haven't been rejected so I'm keepin' my fingers crossed considering school starts so soon! :thumbup:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but since the decision deadline has passed, I don't think there will be much more movement on the wait list.
I am fairly sure some of my classmates were accepted the week before orientation. WL spots do dry up as the summer goes on, but there are so many factors playing into it that you can't say for sure how much or little movement there will be.

I am pretty sure they're done interviewing???? Like back in April

I am pretty sure they're done interviewing???? Like back in April

Probably not actually. If they were done they would have the minimal decency to send rejections after I paid $100 to apply to their school. I'm assuming they have this decency, so they must still be giving out invitations...that is unless they're just scamming people applying to their school and just taking their money.

Probably not actually. If they were done they would have the minimal decency to send rejections after I paid $100 to apply to their school. I'm assuming they have this decency, so they must still be giving out invitations...that is unless they're just scamming people applying to their school and just taking their money.

Keep in mind how many applicants they get a year. Sometimes things do fall through the cracks with such large numbers. You could always call and see what is happening.

Keep in mind how many applicants they get a year. Sometimes things do fall through the cracks with such large numbers. You could always call and see what is happening.

But I doubt any type of interviewing is still going on.

Nah, I'm still going to assume they have integrity. No excuses for a medical school that gets well over $100,000 in admission money.

Just got the calllll!!!!! I'm in!!!! Aaahhhhh!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.