2011-2012 Emory Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of a strange question...I didn't have a picture I wanted to submit handy, so I opted to mail mine in. I plan on doing that asap, but will my application get looked at before then or will it be considered incomplete until they get it??

Members don't see this ad.

Any current students who could give some perspective on exactly what the Society System is and how it integrates into the curriculum?

If you go to Emory's med school page and look at Student blogs, scroll down to M4 and pick Antoinette, she does a nice post about what the Societies are like.

quick question... so I'm filling out the secondary right now, and I'm doing the course requirement section. I technically didn't take General or Inorganic Chemistry in college because I had AP credit for it. I know on their website Emory said that this is ok, so should I select "yes" on "completed requirements"? Technically I didn't receive 8 semester hours of work for my AP credit (my school doesn't count AP credits toward graduation credit hours), but it does appear on my transcript. Should I select "yes", or "no" and then explain it? will selecting "no" hurt my chances in any way?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I listed ALL the medically related / research experiences in my primary application already, and I feel like I'm being repetitive with the secondary... Is this the same for you? Also, I'm having a difficult time trying to fit it into 100 words or less...

I would write about my most meaningful experience, but I did that already in the primary hahah

yep mine was an absolute repeat. if they wanted it all in one box in very short form, they gots it :)

yep mine was an absolute repeat. if they wanted it all in one box in very short form, they gots it :)

Did you just do it in list form, with incomplete sentences?

Thanks so much!

I did.

XYZ Volunteer, 2 hours weekly since Month 2010.

Research (undergraduate), full time during 2 summers. Worked in the ABC Lab studying the ABCs.

and so on... i didnt even get a description on the hospital volunteering bc i had 1 almost complete sentence for my 2 researchy things and 1 sentence clarifying something about shadowing. as long as it's kinda obvious you are purposefully truncating i'm assuming it's ok, vs if i wrote like i'm writing now where they'd go wow have some illiteracy for lunch, lady...

Did you just do it in list form, with incomplete sentences?

Thanks so much!

I would write in complete sentences. It's inevitable that there will be some overlap in your description of EC's from your primary and the supplemental applications.

FWIW, I went ahead and wrote around 150-200 words for each of mine last year, then spent a good amount of time editing to get it down around 100; that's really the most challenging part. I think I may have ended up with one answer being around 110 words. Just try to get it as close to 100 as you can.

Good luck!

I would write in complete sentences. It's inevitable that there will be some overlap in your description of EC's from your primary and the supplemental applications.

FWIW, I went ahead and wrote around 150-200 words for each of mine last year, then spent a good amount of time editing to get it down around 100; that's really the most challenging part. I think I may have ended up with one answer being around 110 words. Just try to get it as close to 100 as you can.

Good luck!

Oh, so you did 100 words EACH?
I thought they said 100 words total...

Oh, so you did 100 words EACH?
I thought they said 100 words total...

I should have been more clear, my mistake.

I remember there being 4 'short essay' prompts, each one being around 100 words total. Research/Health care - related experience being one of the prompts, to be answered in 100 words. I suppose it's possible the supplemental app has changed from last year.

nah that's still correct, 100 words for the prompt 'tell us about healthcare experiences and any research'

I should have been more clear, my mistake.

I remember there being 4 'short essay' prompts, each one being around 100 words total. Research/Health care - related experience being one of the prompts, to be answered in 100 words. I suppose it's possible the supplemental app has changed from last year.

It seems like this is almost impossible for me. Most of my extracurriculars are in medicine / healthcare and research, so I have seven things to list out.

Would you suggest that I just follow this part of the prompt:

Note: If you have had experience in several health-related areas, list each with a very brief description.

and just write one sentence per each activity, even if it means going over 100 words?

Members don't see this ad :)
Two of the prompts tell you not to exceed 100 words, while the other two tell you to answer in approximately 100 words. I went over by about 10 words on the "approx" questions.

It seems like this is almost impossible for me. Most of my extracurriculars are in medicine / healthcare and research, so I have seven things to list out.

Would you suggest that I just follow this part of the prompt:

and just write one sentence per each activity, even if it means going over 100 words?

Remember that they have access to your AMCAS as well, so don't feel that you literally have to list everything in such a small writing sample.

You could generally write about your experience, and even group 2 or more activities together within the same sentence if they're relatable. If they're interested in knowing more, they can refer to your primary. However, I would try to stay close to 100 words to show that you can follow directions.

Remember that they have access to your AMCAS as well, so don't feel that you literally have to list everything in such a small writing sample.

You could generally write about your experience, and even group 2 or more activities together within the same sentence if they're relatable. If they're interested in knowing more, they can refer to your primary. However, I would try to stay close to 100 words to show that you can follow directions.

Thanks for the advice!

Submitted! Actually just want to bump the threa.

Does anyone else's application say "Not complete at this time," yet, everything is there? I submitted last week and my letters were received beforehand. Just kind of curious -- it says it could take 2 weeks, but I'm heading out of the country this weekend and want to make sure it's all good to go beforehand.

Also, can any current students shed light on when they start reviewing applications/invite for interviews?

I just checked last year's thread. No interview invites until the first week of September? :thumbdown: Bummer.

all my stuff's there too but i'm not complete. i would imagine they just haven't had the actual checker lay eyeballs on it yet to confirm it's all ok. dunno where you're going but have fuuunnn!!

Submitted on the 19th and got completed yesterday. They didn't send out an email like they said they would so keep checking!

Submitted on the 19th and got completed yesterday. They didn't send out an email like they said they would so keep checking!

Thanks for the info, I submitted 7/20 so I guess I'll wait until Friday. Also, since they don't start sending out interviews until September, I guess I shouldn't worry too much about being complete so soon.

Now if only Pitt would send me their secondary already ...

Complete on July 8th and still nothing...

But if we're not supposed to hear until Sept, that gives me more confidence :D

What do you think chances are for a 28 mcat and 3.94 gpa? I'm feeling really discouraged :(:(:(:(:(

To the MSTP applicants out there, does anyone know if the prompts are any different for us? I'm applying later this month due to a late MCAT as a non-trad. I'd love to get a head start...

Thanks and good luck to all.

Has anyone else have all there stuff in but not been marked "complete" for a while?? At the latest, my last piece of stuff should have been in like the 26t/27th....is that roughly normal??

Has anyone else have all there stuff in but not been marked "complete" for a while?? At the latest, my last piece of stuff should have been in like the 26t/27th....is that roughly normal??

I submitted my secondary on 7/16 and received the complete email on 7/18. I don't know what is normal but it could be they get more backed up as time goes on and more apps come in.

Submitted 7/22, complete via email 8/1.

So don't sweat it yet.

Can anyone find Emory's match list for 2011 or any year really?

When I first answered question #3, I briefly described each role that I believe physicians have in the community. I went back to edit it, and now I realize it says "role." This may sound silly, but is it implied that we focus on a singular role, or is it OK to talk about any/all roles of a physician?

Thanks so much!

When I first answered question #3, I briefly described each role that I believe physicians have in the community. I went back to edit it, and now I realize it says "role." This may sound silly, but is it implied that we focus on a singular role, or is it OK to talk about any/all roles of a physician?

Thanks so much!

I talked about one role.

Thanks so much!

I talked about multiple roles.

yeah in this case i don't think the wording was meant to restrict you at all. go for roleseseses.

Any current students who could give some perspective on exactly what the Society System is and how it integrates into the curriculum?

Current MS3 here. The societies are not a big part of the curriculum, it's basically just a way to divide the class into 4ths. It has no influence on your education, social life or just about anything whatsoever, other than being able to say you're from Semmelweis, Osler, Harvey or Lister.

yes, true P/F with no internal ranking (<--important detail).

Not entirely true, it is P/F but there is also an internal ranking. It is only used to give a percentile on the deans letter when applying for residency.

Not entirely true, it is P/F but there is also an internal ranking. It is only used to give a percentile on the deans letter when applying for residency.

The Dean has explicitly stated in Q&A's that no ranking system is used for the preclinical years. Your clinical grades and subjective evaluations by your small group/society advisors are the basis for your deans letter.

The Dean has explicitly stated in Q&A's that no ranking system is used for the preclinical years. Your clinical grades and subjective evaluations by your small group/society advisors are the basis for your deans letter.

As you'll quickly learn, not everything a dean tells you here is true, not to mention all the stuff they don't tell you. I got my info from an Emory residency director, I can't prove whether or not it's true but I have no reason to believe he would lie to my face.

As you'll quickly learn, not everything a dean tells you here is true, not to mention all the stuff they don't tell you. I got my info from an Emory residency director, I can't prove whether or not it's true but I have no reason to believe he would lie to my face.

Weird. Since only one class has graduated under the new P/F curriculum, I wonder if the program director you spoke to was referring to dean's letters of old. They've only seen one round of dean's letters from the new grading system, so maybe he/she misspoke? I'd like to think that neither of our sources would intentionally mislead us.

For what its worth, the student handbook covers clinical grades and their reporting in extensive detail, but there's no mention of reporting pre-clinical grades beyond "satisfactory/unsatisfactory." I know absence of proof isn't proof of absence, but given everything I've read and been told, I'm convinced Emory is true P/F at least for c/o 2015 and beyond.

As you'll quickly learn, not everything a dean tells you here is true, not to mention all the stuff they don't tell you.

Hey, could you please elaborate a little bit on what you mean? Do you feel like the administration has accidentally or intentionally given incorrect info? Thanks.

Weird. Since only one class has graduated under the new P/F curriculum, I wonder if the program director you spoke to was referring to dean's letters of old. They've only seen one round of dean's letters from the new grading system, so maybe he/she misspoke? I'd like to think that neither of our sources would intentionally mislead us.

For what its worth, the student handbook covers clinical grades and their reporting in extensive detail, but there's no mention of reporting pre-clinical grades beyond "satisfactory/unsatisfactory." I know absence of proof isn't proof of absence, but given everything I've read and been told, I'm convinced Emory is true P/F at least for c/o 2015 and beyond.

Perhaps, but I've also heard the same information from upperclassmen, maybe it is a rumor, maybe it's not, but for all the pre-meds out there: what's more important than whether its true P/F or not, I can tell you that the atmosphere here is collegial and collaborative, not cutthroat and competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.