2011-2012 Emory Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol i was complete 7/18 and haven't heard anything, i would very much rather hear a rejection/hold than nothing since it is fairly clear they reviewed my app and did not deem interview invite worthy at this point, but i guess it still seems that they're still going for super stars now? seems most schools are still in that phase, or not i dunno haha

Members don't see this ad.

Interview invite! I'm so excited! :D

:laugh: congrats to you!!!

Anyone out there interview already? I'm headed to ATL this week and want to know if there is any info on the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those curious, interviews haven't actually started yet. The first day is 9/12, if I recall correctly.

Re: the interview day. You'll have 2 interviews: a ~30 minute 1:1 interview, and a ~30 minute 3:3 group interview. Both are pretty laid back and meant to be conversational, so don't get too worked up about them. Just try to relax and be yourself, because that's what these interviews are all about.

The interview day is pretty long, and you have plenty of opportunities to chat with current students from years 1-4. You'll get a very thorough tour of the campus and one of our teaching hospitals (Grady, which is awesome btw), guided by an M3 or M4 (read: great resource for info on the clinical years). It's a lot of fun, I promise... GL!

did you just reply to yourself and say that you'd see yourself there?!?

O geez. That was a fail. I guess that's what happens when you're running on nerves and no sleep.

haha, yeaahh complete!! WOOHOO! Fingers crossed:xf:

Last edited:
lol i was complete 7/18 and haven't heard anything, i would very much rather hear a rejection/hold than nothing since it is fairly clear they reviewed my app and did not deem interview invite worthy at this point, but i guess it still seems that they're still going for super stars now? seems most schools are still in that phase, or not i dunno haha

If I recall correctly, they state outright that they don't reject anyone until the interview season ends in March.

The Dean has explicitly stated in Q&A's that no ranking system is used for the preclinical years. Your clinical grades and subjective evaluations by your small group/society advisors are the basis for your deans letter.

Hi 90minIPA,

I had a few questions about Emory, and you seem quite knowledgeable about the school as a current student. Like you said, Emory has true P/F without internal rankings for the pre-clinical years (which is a HUGE plus). Then what do they base AOA status on? Because Emory is one of the participating schools according to the AOA website. I'm just wondering how this is possible. Board scores? M3 grades? "Subjective evaluations by your small group/society advisors"?

Maybe I should worry about this after getting an acceptance letter first... :rolleyes:

Hi 90minIPA,

I had a few questions about Emory, and you seem quite knowledgeable about the school as a current student. Like you said, Emory has true P/F without internal rankings for the pre-clinical years (which is a HUGE plus). Then what do they base AOA status on? Because Emory is one of the participating schools according to the AOA website. I'm just wondering how this is possible. Board scores? M3 grades? "Subjective evaluations by your small group/society advisors"?

Maybe I should worry about this after getting an acceptance letter first... :rolleyes:

Election to AOA is based on a number of things, scholarship/grades being only one of them. From AOA's brochure:

"Election to Alpha Omega Alpha is an honor signifying a lasting commitment to scholarship, leadership, professionalism, and service. "

It's my understanding that at Emory, the "scholarship" component to be considered is a mixture of research activity, board scores and clinical grades. On top of this, faculty will also be looking for commitments to leadership, service, etc... A senior student may be able to provide more specifics, but this is my general impression of the way AOA works here.

I hope they offer me an interview soon - I am running of out funds!!! I really want to go and check out this school

Interview invite just now! Complete 8/10. Did anybody ask for other interview dates? Did they seem flexible?

Interview invite just now! Complete 8/10. Did anybody ask for other interview dates? Did they seem flexible?

Yes and yes. Give Faith a call. She was very pleasant and willing to accommodate. Congrats & g'luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Emory receptive to update letters?
I am not sure what your update is, but if it's grades or a new position, I would wait till December to update them because Emory doesn't reject anybody during the cycle, and by that time, you would've accumulated substantive experience or a greater GPA increase, depending on your situation. I am in the GPA boat, and will be updating them in December as well. :luck:

Submitting.....now! About how long has everyone that has received an II had to wait for such a status?

Interview invite!!! Definitely thought I had been passed over (I was complete mid-July) but I guess I either got lost in the shuffle, or they're starting to give second looks!

Good luck to everyone else still waiting!

heard nothing, complete since 9/x.

Last edited:
Anyone having / had trouble filling out the "degree program" page on emory's application? Like every time I fill it out and hit save & continue, nothing gets saved (doing md/phd so there is quite a bit to fill out on that page). Thus, I cannot submit my application. I just sent an e-mail, but was wondering if anyone else had personal experiences with this issue.

Anyone having / had trouble filling out the "degree program" page on emory's application? Like every time I fill it out and hit save & continue, nothing gets saved (doing md/phd so there is quite a bit to fill out on that page). Thus, I cannot submit my application. I just sent an e-mail, but was wondering if anyone else had personal experiences with this issue.

Hmmm, interesting. *Nothing* saves? I did the MSTP secondary and didn't have any problems. I remember reading something in the instructions that stated it was ill advised to skip sections. Did you maybe skip ahead rather than fill everything out sequentially?

Aside from that, what browser are you using? Maybe it's outdated...

That's all I've got. Good luck.

Hmmm, interesting. *Nothing* saves? I did the MSTP secondary and didn't have any problems. I remember reading something in the instructions that stated it was ill advised to skip sections. Did you maybe skip ahead rather than fill everything out sequentially?

Aside from that, what browser are you using? Maybe it's outdated...

That's all I've got. Good luck.

Ah that might be it. I saw that "no skipping around" thing after I started filling it out. But I don't know if I actually typed or saved anything past the page (I know I skipped ahead to see the essays available to me). Maybe I just forgot and did actually save something after skipping around.

I don't think its the browser as I tried it on internet explorer afterwards and that did not help. I will just see what help I can get from the application people.

Thanks!

Does anyone know how Emory feels about update letters?

Does anyone know how Emory feels about update letters?

I had an extenuating circumstance surrounding my MCAT and sent them an e-mail providing a brief explanation. I received a reply stating that they received my letter and added it to my file to facilitate the review process. It was also noted in my application status as "e-mail update received 9/28/11."

Depending on the circumstance, like if you're sending a newly published article, a new scholarship/grant/fellowship award, or grades that compensate for a lower grade elsewhere, I'd say send it in. Those things can never hurt, IMO.

I was thinking about adding Emory to my list of schools but is it even worth it at this point?

has anyone completed on August 17th or later heard back about interviews yet? This much waiting time is killing moi....

has anyone completed on August 17th or later heard back about interviews yet? This much waiting time is killing moi....

I was complete in early September and got an interview a couple days ago (my first of the cycle!)

I was complete august 18th, no reply yet. I'm staying optimistic though. Having other interviews to prepare for also keeps your mind at ease.

Last edited:
I was complete in early September and got an interview a couple days ago (my first of the cycle!)

Congrats! I interviewed in late September and it really is a long interview day but very pleasant. They really want you to know about Emory, Grady, and Atlanta. Take a pair of walking shoes if you can't walk far in your dress shoes!

Last edited:
Complete 7/8 and nothing as of yet...(3.9, 37S, OOS)

:(

Hopefully they are starting their second go around on apps. I would hate to wait until the end of interview season to get a rejection.

Pembroke Welsh Corgi!!!

I got my last LOR in at the end of August; I've gotten 3 interviews at lower-end schools and a couple rejections from fancy places. No word from the bulk of them though, include Emory. Is it a good idea to call and bother them? Or would email be best?

Hmm... what would you say in your call or e-mail?

Pembroke Welsh Corgi!!!

I got my last LOR in at the end of August; I've gotten 3 interviews at lower-end schools and a couple rejections from fancy places. No word from the bulk of them though, include Emory. Is it a good idea to call and bother them? Or would email be best?

Emory does not communicate with applicants unless you are invited to interview until the end of the cycle (aka silent rejections).

They'll talk to you if you have a reason to talk to them. Like despite the fact I am almost certainly going to get rejected this cycle from Emory, I had a 20 min chat on Thursday with a student adcomm. I did not seek out this conversation, it just happened. (Apparently he knew me but I didn't know him which was really weird.) Apparently he is going to email me in order to continue the conversation on how to improve my application.

Interview invite! I'm sooo excited to visit Emory and ATL. Wow, I've been waiting for a while (around July) so hang in there everyone. There's hope after all. :luck:

Interview this Monday (October 24).... soooo freaking excited!!!!

Good luck on your interviews!!

FWIW, I'm a first year and I love it at Emory.

Any insight on when we'll hear from Emory post-interview?

Any insight on when we'll hear from Emory post-interview?

At your interview, they give you a list of the dates that letters go out (I think the very first ones go out around beginning November/end October). I've definitely heard of people interviewing early in the season and receiving letters later, so you shouldn't assume you won't be accepted if you don't hear right away.

10/24, 11/21, 12/19, 1/30, 2/20, 3/12. No one rejected till April.

10/24, 11/21, 12/19, 1/30, 2/20, 3/12. No one rejected till April.

By the way, they snail-mail out acceptances on these dates, so it may be a few days before you find out.

The 10/24 mail date makes me think that they have selected or are close to selecting the first batch. Good luck everyone! :xf:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.