2011-2012 Loma Linda Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Describe the extent and source of your knowledge of Loma Linda University School of Medicine (LLUSM). (750 characters max)

What makes LLUSM particularly attractive to you? (750 characters max)

What qualities make you a desirable candidate for admission to LLUSM? (750 characters max)

Discuss how your spiritual experience has influenced your life and how you integrate it into your daily life. (750 characters max)

What experiences in your life would illustrate your perspective on service to others? (750 characters max)

As a Christian educational institution the medical curriculum integrates spiritual, ethical, and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services and religion courses are part of this program. Please respond to the above as it relates to your personal educational and career goals. (750 characters max)

Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution that has lifestyle expectations that include abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs/substances in all forms. In the past year, have you used any of these substances? If so, which one(s)? (250 characters)

If accepted to LLUSM, are you willing to abide by the lifestyle policies of Loma Linda University School of Medicine? (250 characters max)

Describe your involvement with your religious group (750 characters max)

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This thread's getting no love, so I thought I'd start it off :D

Very interested in this school.

BUMP!

Hometown school, definitely hoping for at least an interview :)

Been volunteering at the Children's Hospital for three years, and I've fallen in love with the school and clinic :love::love::love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is a letter of rec. from a priest/pastor an unavoidable requirement?

Is a letter of rec. from a priest/pastor an unavoidable requirement?
And I quote:
"At least one of those recommendations must be from a science professor who has taught the applicant. It is suggested that the other references come from a physician, employer, pastor (or other clergy) or other persons who know the applicant."

it's a character reference, so any one that can attest to you as a person. I do know that it is looked highly upon if you have one from a pastor.

http://www.llu.edu/medicine/admissions/letters-of-recommendation.page?

And I quote:
"At least one of those recommendations must be from a science professor who has taught the applicant. It is suggested that the other references come from a physician, employer, pastor (or other clergy) or other persons who know the applicant."

it's a character reference, so any one that can attest to you as a person. I do know that it is looked highly upon if you have one from a pastor.

http://www.llu.edu/medicine/admissions/letters-of-recommendation.page?

Thanks! I guess I'm applying to Loma Linda. :luck:

Just got the secondary notice via email. :luck: everyone.

So is there only 1 real required essay this year? (religious involvement) or is my application messed up lol

Can anyone please post the essay? Much appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone please post the essay? Much appreciate it!

Describe the extent and source of your knowledge of Loma Linda University School of Medicine (LLUSM). (750 characters max)

What makes LLUSM particularly attractive to you? (750 characters max)

What qualities make you a desirable candidate for admission to LLUSM? (750 characters max)

Discuss how your spiritual experience has influenced your life and how you integrate it into your daily life. (750 characters max)

What experiences in your life would illustrate your perspective on service to others? (750 characters max)

As a Christian educational institution the medical curriculum integrates spiritual, ethical, and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services and religion courses are part of this program. Please respond to the above as it relates to your personal educational and career goals. (750 characters max)

Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution that has lifestyle expectations that include abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs/substances in all forms. In the past year, have you used any of these substances? If so, which one(s)? (250 characters)

If accepted to LLUSM, are you willing to abide by the lifestyle policies of Loma Linda University School of Medicine? (250 characters max)

Describe your involvement with your religious group (750 characters max)

It's long...hope I'm not missing any. :luck: to all

i haven't received my secondary yet....

I'm considering not completing my secondary for this school.

Does anyone know if it's mandatory that one be christian to go here?

If I do fill out the secondary, I intend to be honest. Yes, I will drink alcohol when I feel appropriate. No, religion does not play a big part in my life. Yes, I think it can benefit many others and yes, I support it if it does so.

I would classify myself as spiritual, but not religious. I believe in the inherent good of mankind and the utility in spreading joy rather than any one divine entity. Is this an app killer for here?

Cheers,
Sam

If I do fill out the secondary, I intend to be honest. Yes, I will drink alcohol when I feel appropriate. No, religion does not play a big part in my life. Yes, I think it can benefit many others and yes, I support it if it does so.

I would classify myself as spiritual, but not religious. I believe in the inherent good of mankind and the utility in spreading joy rather than any one divine entity. Is this an app killer for here?

Cheers,
Sam

Not agreeing to the lifestyle policies and stating that you will still drink alcohol is an app killer, everything else is fine.

Cheers,
Sam

~70% of their matriculants are from their religion. a good majority of the rest belong to some kind of christian denomination. very few spots go to outside religion affiliations/atheists/agnostics.

I believe their main focus is matriculating people who will continue the evangelical mission of the school.

I was rejected post interview from loma linda last cycle.
I really want to go here, and am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to succeed this cycle.

Well, I had just convinced myself to fill out the secondary after researching the principles of Seventh Day Adventists and their commitment towards religious tolerance.

and then I read this on the secondary:

"Healthfulness. In keeping with its mission for health, all students at LLU agree to exclude alcohol, tobacco, and illegal drugs from their lives during their enrollment at the University or one of its extended campuses."

Not a suggestion, but a rule.

Is drinking alcohol with moderation unhealthy? Some studies show that limited red wine has health benefits. One could argue that such a blanket rule in the interest of "health" could be detrimental to one's long term well-being besides being restrictive of one's lifestyle.

If healthfulness was the prerogative of the school rather than the individual, then surely they should require caloric accountability of all their students limiting fatty and unhealthy foods from their diets.

And what of celebrating diversity and different cultures? In many cultures it is customary to share a pipe or smoke hookahs in a social setting. A blanket ban on tobacco represses people's cultural or desire to explore different cultural beliefs. I doubt primary data suggests that minimal exposure to tobacco is so substantially "unhealthy" as to necessitate such a rule.

Last edited:
Well, I had just convinced myself to fill out the secondary after researching the principles of Seventh Day Adventists and their commitment towards religious tolerance.

"Healthfulness. In keeping with its mission for health, all students at LLU agree to exclude alcohol, tobacco, and illegal drugs from their lives during their enrollment at the University or one of its extended campuses."

Is drinking alcohol with moderation unhealthy? Some studies show that limited red wine has health benefits. One could argue that such a blanket rule in the interest of "health" could be detrimental to one's long term well-being besides being restrictive of one's lifestyle.

If healthfulness was the prerogative of the school rather than the individual, then surely they should require caloric accountability of all their students limiting fatty and unhealthy foods from their diets.

And what of celebrating diversity and different cultures? In many cultures it is customary to share a pipe or smoke hookahs in a social setting. A blanket ban on tobacco represses people's cultural or desire to explore different cultural beliefs. I doubt primary data suggests that minimal exposure to tobacco is so substantially "unhealthy" as to necessitate such a rule.

It's really not a health issue or anything. It's more a religious one and a lifestyle one. It's their religious prerogative as a private school to ask their students to uphold their standards. That's why in WAMC we're always telling people to look into the lifestyle contract of Loma Linda before spending 33$ on their primary app.

Last edited:
It's really not a health issue or anything. It's more a religious one and a lifestyle one. It's their religious prerogative as a private school to ask their students to uphold their standards. That's why in WAMC we're always telling people to look into the lifestyle contract of Loma Linda before spending 33$ on their primary app.

I realize it's a spiritual matter more than a health issue. That's what bugged me. I'd just become keen on applying after reading about spiritual tolerance before I read the health statement.

Just a few lines above the health statement they say:

"Faith. LLU is committed to faith in God and respect for the rich diversity of faiths represented among our students. We view the various perspectives of each spiritually committed student as enriching our campus and opening us to new ways of knowing God."

Thus, they can't exclude your consumption of alcohol or tobacco on religious grounds.

My family is of mixed native american dissent and sometimes I smoke with my grandfather at family occasions. I also enjoy the occasional glass of red wine. Neither of these things should exclude one from medical school on health grounds.

Last edited:
I realize it's a spiritual matter more than a health issue. That's what bugged me. I'd just become keen on applying after reading about spiritual tolerance before I read the health statement.

Just a few lines above the health statement they say:

"Faith. LLU is committed to faith in God and respect for the rich diversity of faiths represented among our students. We view the various perspectives of each spiritually committed student as enriching our campus and opening us to new ways of knowing God."

Thus, they can't exclude your consumption of alcohol or tobacco on religious grounds.

My family is of mixed native american dissent and sometimes I smoke with my grandfather at family occasions. I also enjoy the occasional glass of red wine. Neither of these things should exclude one from medical school on health grounds.

I don't know what else to say, except that it's good they state their policy clearly on their secondary so people don't keep going on with the process if they won't agree to the lifestyle contract.

I am not trying to be rude, but I think that they're trying to find people who are willing to live their contract. And since they're a private school, they can set their own rules and exclude people if they want to. This same conversation comes up every year in the Loma Linda thread. You wouldn't be the first to not fill out their secondary.

I am not trying to be rude, but I think that they're trying to find people who are willing to live their contract. And since they're a private school, they can set their own rules and exclude people if they want to. This same conversation comes up every year in the Loma Linda thread. You wouldn't be the first to not fill out their secondary.

I know. I was just disappointed. Oh well.

I'm not a Loma Linda student...yet. But as none of the other students have chimed in and I did got to an Adventist undergrad I have enough experience to feel confident in saying... Some students will take the lifestyle code seriously others won't. As long as you don't flaunt your activities (aka put pics on fb of you drinking or go to a bar in the redlands area) you will probably be fine. I know people who had no problem with drinking alchohol while they were students at Loma Linda. They didn't get caught and it wasn't an issue for them. To be quite frank more of the kids broke the lifestyle code at my undergrad then kept it...I may or may not have been one of them myself. However, imo it is kind of a matter of honor. I am choosing to attend Loma for med school over other schools where I could drink. Part of that choice for me will mean keeping to the lifestyle code. I personally don't see the problem with moderate alcohol usage either but for me personally I am no longer able to justify making an agreement and then living in fear and lying about it. Plus it really won't be that big a deal to just follow the rules. What I can say is as long as you keep you mouth shut about keeping the lifestyle agreement it will up to you and your personal moral code whether or not you keep it. If you break it you run the risk of getting caught--yes. But most instances in my undergrad where that happened, it was because the person breaking the rules was stupid and went to parties on or near campus or told the wrong person about their activities. So choose your friends wisely. I'm not trying to sound paranoid but it could save you a lot of grief. The lifestyle agreement sadly doesn't seem to be taken as seriously as the honor code at BYU or the military academies. In other words it depends on what you can live with before you decide whether or not it will be a deal breaker for you. Loma often comes off really bad on SDN. Yes, there will be some people there that are judgmental and/or super religious and kind of weird. There will be other people who defend the school so adamantly that they try to make Loma out to be just like a public med school--it isn't. But it will be a mix. About half the class usually ends up being non-sda and there are normal adventist kids who even if they don't drink themselves have no problem being around kids that do. No matter what ya'll end up deciding I wish you the best of luck this cycle.

I go to an Adventist college and the pre-professional committee meets during the Fall. I am taking my MCATs and applying this summer; however, as referenced above, the committee will not have a recommendation letter written for me until after I finish my application this summer. Also, my MCAT scores will most likely come out late September/early October.

So, my questions are:

1. Is it possible to send the committee recommendation to AMCAS post-application?
2. I'd like to submit my application as early as possible. Is it possible to submit w/o a known MCAT score?

Thanks!

I go to an Adventist college and the pre-professional committee meets during the Fall. I am taking my MCATs and applying this summer; however, as referenced above, the committee will not have a recommendation letter written for me until after I finish my application this summer. Also, my MCAT scores will most likely come out late September/early October.

So, my questions are:

1. Is it possible to send the committee recommendation to AMCAS post-application?
2. I'd like to submit my application as early as possible. Is it possible to submit w/o a known MCAT score?

Thanks!
1. Yes.
2. Yes.

Hello. I completely forget it was that time of year when new class threads start. I'm about to start MS2 at LLU. Hit me with your questions!

I'm not a Loma Linda student...yet. But as none of the other students have chimed in and I did got to an Adventist undergrad I have enough experience to feel confident in saying... Some students will take the lifestyle code seriously others won't. As long as you don't flaunt your activities (aka put pics on fb of you drinking or go to a bar in the redlands area) you will probably be fine. I know people who had no problem with drinking alchohol while they were students at Loma Linda. They didn't get caught and it wasn't an issue for them. To be quite frank more of the kids broke the lifestyle code at my undergrad then kept it...I may or may not have been one of them myself. However, imo it is kind of a matter of honor. I am choosing to attend Loma for med school over other schools where I could drink. Part of that choice for me will mean keeping to the lifestyle code. I personally don't see the problem with moderate alcohol usage either but for me personally I am no longer able to justify making an agreement and then living in fear and lying about it. Plus it really won't be that big a deal to just follow the rules. What I can say is as long as you keep you mouth shut about keeping the lifestyle agreement it will up to you and your personal moral code whether or not you keep it. If you break it you run the risk of getting caught--yes. But most instances in my undergrad where that happened, it was because the person breaking the rules was stupid and went to parties on or near campus or told the wrong person about their activities. So choose your friends wisely. I'm not trying to sound paranoid but it could save you a lot of grief. The lifestyle agreement sadly doesn't seem to be taken as seriously as the honor code at BYU or the military academies. In other words it depends on what you can live with before you decide whether or not it will be a deal breaker for you. Loma often comes off really bad on SDN. Yes, there will be some people there that are judgmental and/or super religious and kind of weird. There will be other people who defend the school so adamantly that they try to make Loma out to be just like a public med school--it isn't. But it will be a mix. About half the class usually ends up being non-sda and there are normal adventist kids who even if they don't drink themselves have no problem being around kids that do. No matter what ya'll end up deciding I wish you the best of luck this cycle.

^^ this. Good post.

The problem with this is where you draw the line. Alcohol in moderation isn't gonna kill you. The customs you were speaking of should be honored. But abusing alcohol or illegal drugs or tobacco is deleterious to one's health, and instead of saying, "ok guys, you can have your one glass of red wine tonight" there is no way of monitoring what goes on, no way of safely drawing a line somewhere, so it's easier to just say it's within our health standards to not include them at all. I agree with you, but to me it also makes sense where LLU is coming from when they write their policies, if you look at it from the perspective of how SDA's view health. Idk, am I making sense at all? haha

~70% of their matriculants are from their religion. a good majority of the rest belong to some kind of christian denomination. very few spots go to outside religion affiliations/atheists/agnostics.

I believe their main focus is matriculating people who will continue the evangelical mission of the school.

Actually, it's not as weighted as it sounds. While it is true that LLU looks at SDA's first, then Christians, they don't accept you ahead of someone else if you are SDA. It just works out that way sometimes because of rolling admissions, and then LLU goes out to the SDA school to do interviews first. Our class is about 50% non-Adventist, with a good mix of religions and beliefs. There are some super conservative kids. There are some who wouldn't be considered religious at all. Bottom line is it doesn't hurt to increase your chances and apply, you just have to be ok with going to a school where Christianity is not hidden, and integrated into what teacher's say, etc.

The problem with this is where you draw the line. Alcohol in moderation isn't gonna kill you. The customs you were speaking of should be honored. But abusing alcohol or illegal drugs or tobacco is deleterious to one's health, and instead of saying, "ok guys, you can have your one glass of red wine tonight" there is no way of monitoring what goes on, no way of safely drawing a line somewhere, so it's easier to just say it's within our health standards to not include them at all. I agree with you, but to me it also makes sense where LLU is coming from when they write their policies, if you look at it from the perspective of how SDA's view health. Idk, am I making sense at all? haha

My objection, was that they were casting a blanket ban on these things based on "health" reasons.

My objection was four-fold.
1. Some alcohol in moderation may actually be healthy, so the policy could be argued as contradictory to it's nature.
2. The policy is insensitive to certain cultures.
3. If these items are banned based on health reasons then fatty foods or "unhealthy" lifestyles should also be banned. Students should be forced to go running on a daily basis.
4. The policy treats students like children rather than mature adults. Many medical students are married, some have children. If they are old enough to make sound, rational judgement on other people's health as doctors, they are old enough to make sound, rational judgments on their own health as adults.

The crux of the issue, is that banning these three things on "health" grounds is a hidden imposition of Adventist lifestyle beliefs. However, their "faith" tenant forbids the banning of lifestyle-based-on-faith as that would contradict their tolerance of other belief systems.

I don't really want to stress the issue, as nothing will change, but for clarity's sake, that was what I was saying above.

I'm about to start at Loma Linda and I understand some of the concerns applicants might have about the school being too conservative or limiting to your lifestyle (as I had some myself). Overall, though, I don't really think it's as big of a deal as it always seems to get made. Bottom line is that it's a private school, it is CLEARLY religiously affiliated (I don't feel like anything is really hidden behind a guise of 'healthfulness'... their pretty open about it being a religious belief), and it is only one of hundreds of schools across the US. If the environment and lifestyle commitment don't appeal to you then simply don't apply. Spend your energy looking into schools that you feel like would be a good fit.

That being said, I found the way that the Christian values LLU emphasizes are acted out in the community provides an absolutely amazing and highly supportive environment to pursue a medical education. While you do have to give up a few things (if drinking and smoking are your thing), what you gain far surpasses that. I encourage you to have an open mind about it, and good luck with the application process!

does LLU ever accept agnostic applicants? (asking for a friend, does not apply to me)

hi everyone!

I finished my supplemental essays and have the letters of rec ready...but I am still waiting a letter from my pastor...should I turn it in now or wait until that letter arrives? what do you all think? Good luck all!

David Lee

submitted!

no pastor letter though... could I ask my pastor back home? (She was my pastor when I attended high school 5-6 years ago)

(5) What experiences in your life would illustrate your perspective on service to others? (750 characters max)

This question is a little tricky to me. Is this just asking for a rehash of service volunteering stuff with descriptions?

My objection, was that they were casting a blanket ban on these things based on "health" reasons.

My objection was four-fold.
1. Some alcohol in moderation may actually be healthy, so the policy could be argued as contradictory to it's nature.
2. The policy is insensitive to certain cultures.
3. If these items are banned based on health reasons then fatty foods or "unhealthy" lifestyles should also be banned. Students should be forced to go running on a daily basis.
4. The policy treats students like children rather than mature adults. Many medical students are married, some have children. If they are old enough to make sound, rational judgement on other people's health as doctors, they are old enough to make sound, rational judgments on their own health as adults.

The crux of the issue, is that banning these three things on "health" grounds is a hidden imposition of Adventist lifestyle beliefs. However, their "faith" tenant forbids the banning of lifestyle-based-on-faith as that would contradict their tolerance of other belief systems.

I don't really want to stress the issue, as nothing will change, but for clarity's sake, that was what I was saying above.

Noted. Your concern is understood!

hi everyone!

I finished my supplemental essays and have the letters of rec ready...but I am still waiting a letter from my pastor...should I turn it in now or wait until that letter arrives? what do you all think? Good luck all!

David Lee

Since you submit LOR's through AMCAS anyways, go ahead and submit your secondaries when you are ready to, just make sure all your LOR's are in before they start considering candidates for interviews... so ASAP

submitted!

no pastor letter though... could I ask my pastor back home? (She was my pastor when I attended high school 5-6 years ago)

You could, just remember a letter from a pastor is not required, though it definitely doesn't hurt

(5) What experiences in your life would illustrate your perspective on service to others? (750 characters max)

This question is a little tricky to me. Is this just asking for a rehash of service volunteering stuff with descriptions?

It could be, or if there was one incident that mostly shaped what you believe fulfills this questions go with that. Or maybe it's a certain personality trait. 750 words isn't that much so just hit the most pertinent highlights

does LLU ever accept agnostic applicants? (asking for a friend, does not apply to me)

Oh and the answer to this is yes. It helps if the applicant supports the mission of the school, but I've seen all sorts of backgrounds been accepted, though the majority are indeed Christian/SDA

It could be, or if there was one incident that mostly shaped what you believe fulfills this questions go with that. Or maybe it's a certain personality trait. 750 words isn't that much so just hit the most pertinent highlights

Thanks alot that got some ideas flowing.

On a side note, since LL doesn't interview non-SDA until January or so, is it okay to take my time with this secondary and focus on more time sensitive ones?

So, I could really use some input here. Realistically, what do you think my chances are at getting accepted to LLU? I thought I would ask because maybe you guys have heard stories or know people with similar stats as mine. Anyways, here are my stats:
- Ivy League undergrad
-3.65 GPA, 3.60 sGPA
-25 MCAT
-roughly 150 shadowing hours (lots of surgeries as well)
- Div. 1 varsity athlete w/ numerous awards (took up no less than 25-30 hours a week, literally)
- Double major in two Religious Studies and Public Health
-had to take a few science classes over the summer at a community college, or else I wouldn't have been able to complete a double major.
-2008 Coca-Cole scholar (if that even means anything...)
-great LOR's
-a few pass/fails in non science classes
- I have been SDA my whole life and am very integrated into the church

I would greatly appreciate some feedback

So, I could really use some input here. Realistically, what do you think my chances are at getting accepted to LLU? I thought I would ask because maybe you guys have heard stories or know people with similar stats as mine. Anyways, here are my stats:
- Ivy League undergrad
-3.65 GPA, 3.60 sGPA
-25 MCAT
- Div. 1 varsity athlete w/ numerous awards (took up no less than 25-30 hours a week, literally)
-had to take a few science classes over the summer at a community college, or else I wouldn't have been able to complete a double major.
-great LOR's

The bottom 10th mcat is 26 and your gpa is a little lower than the median. But you're SDA and a d1 athlete which is pretty sweet imo. I think it'd definitely be worth a shot unless you're strapped for cash. The only problem I see is if you don't get in here, you have a very low chance at other MD schools. I'm assuming you're applying many to DO schools? If not, I would retake and apply next year...

- Ivy League undergrad
-3.65 GPA, 3.60 sGPA
-25 MCAT
-great LOR's

A couple of my classmates who were also SDA got in with similar stats. I'll be honest, it won't be easy, but you would have a chance. If you have the money, definitely go for it.

hey all - msar says that the secondary is sent to all applicants, but i haven't received mine yet...is it all verified applicants or screened applicants?

thanks in advance! :)

Good luck everyone! I remember when I was in your shoes last year. Just try your best and leave the rest to God.

GPA: 3.6
MCAT: 35 O
did lots of shadowing and volunteering.

So does a letter from the pastor improve the chance to get accepted? I've worked with youth and play music for my church for over 10 years. Do you think I should get a letter from my pastor?

If I am unable to receive a committee rec letter until the Fall after my school year starts, does that mean I wont be able to get verified until the fall also? Which means I would not get my secondaries till significantly later than everyone else who has already been verified.

If I really am unable to get verified until the fall, is there any benefit of turning in my application early?

If I am unable to receive a committee rec letter until the Fall after my school year starts, does that mean I wont be able to get verified until the fall also? Which means I would not get my secondaries till significantly later than everyone else who has already been verified.

If I really am unable to get verified until the fall, is there any benefit of turning in my application early?
No, you can be verified before your LORs are in and will be able to receive (and submit) your secondaries before then. You won't be considered complete before then though

hey all - msar says that the secondary is sent to all applicants, but i haven't received mine yet...is it all verified applicants or screened applicants?

thanks in advance! :)

I would call them and ask. I have a friend whose secondary got lost in cyberspace last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.