2011-2012 Mercer Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd love to hear more about this school if anyone has any info! I am from FL and am probably going to apply all over the east coast:) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mercer is very mission oriented. If you're looking at this thread and can't tell me what Mercer's mission is, and why it makes you want to go there, you should really go to their website and look around. A few hours spent doing this is not time wasted. You need to have taken concrete action towards living the mission, and be able to talk about your experiences in your interview.

Also, it's best to apply very early in the cycle (like, now-ish): Mercer knows that many Georgia students that make their interview list also make MCG (GHSU now) or Emory waitlists, and that some will eventually choose these schools for whatever reason. If a student really wants to attend Mercer, the school feels they should get right on submitting their application. (This also goes for reapplicants. You know your way around the process by now, so get on it. If you really want to go to Mercer, keep at it and be tenacious.)

Trust me. I didn't get in last year with four years of research (for the department chair) plus a publication, a Master's degree with a 4.0 from Georgia Tech and a 38R for an MCAT. No one expected me to be unable to handle the curriculum, none of my interviews went poorly (I'm think), and I left the campus feeling psyched about my chances. However, they seemed to have felt I wasn't mission-compliant enough, and I applied late, in October, after many seats had been filled.

This year, I expect to show them I mean business, and that they are my first choice, by applying early and making mission-oriented improvements to my application. I don't really want the third time to have to be the charm.

(And hey, I'm not spitting out credentials to intimidate you or anything: I'm doing it to make the point that, to this school, grades are certainly not everything. The fact is that those that have truly walked the walk get in. I can be positive, and you can too, that students with somewhat lower scores than me succeeded where I failed. However, if you're scores/whatever are better than mine, that's cool too, but be aware you need to be mission-compliant, or you might expect to be passed over as well.)

Good luck to everyone applying this time around! Hope to see you at interviews!

Olehdoit. Any other EDP'ers out there received their secondary yet?

I am a regular decision applicant, has anyone received the secondary?

Applying EDP and currently waitlisted (blurgh). No secondary as of yet. I had my application submitted by June 5. I called them and they said they dont have my application yet from AMCAS even though AMCAS says its been released to them... odd.

I do have last years prompts and they dont change, I believe. Dr. Vinson did say there would be some small tweaks but they shouldnt drastically change the prompts.

Here they are:

The mission of the Mercer University School of Medicine is to educate physicians and health professionals to meet the primary care and health care needs of rural and medically underserved areas of Georgia. Please describe how you will contribute to this mission. (250 words maximum)

Please describe an ethical dilemma in which you were involved and how you resolved it. What did you learn from this? (250 words maximum)

Optional:

The recruitment of a diverse student body is a major goal of Mercer University School of Medicine's Admissions Committee. Students learn from each other as well as from faculty, and being part of a diverse student body affords additional learning opportunities for every student. Please tell us what facets of your life and education to date would contribute to the achievement of this goal. Such facets might include your early education, socioeconomic status, culture, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, and life or work experiences. This question is optional.

Is there anything you would like to explain to the Admissions Committee about your application that would help them better understand your circumstances?

I am also applying EDP and I have not received my secondary application yet. I submitted my application on Jul-06. Has anyone called and asked to see if they have sent out secondary applications already?

I am also applying EDP and I have not received my secondary application yet. I submitted my application on Jul-06. Has anyone called and asked to see if they have sent out secondary applications already?

Although I submitted mine later, I also haven't received one.

Dr octagon, if you don't mind me asking, how did you apply last year and why do you think you were waitlisted? The reason I ask is that I'm also a re-applicant and hopeful that things will work out this go around...

anyone else receive the secondary? they sent it out earlier than this last year

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't apply early last year, and I was wondering whether Early Decision is rolling at Mercer. Like, are ED applicants notified all at once on/around October 1, or are there waves, like in Regular Decision? Anybody know?

I called admissions office today, they should be sending out secondaries in a couple of days if you were verified within the past week.

No, I do not think they do rolling admissions. In the past, they have pretty much informed EDP applicants their decision near the Oct 1 deadline.

Although I submitted mine later, I also haven't received one.

Dr octagon, if you don't mind me asking, how did you apply last year and why do you think you were waitlisted? The reason I ask is that I'm also a re-applicant and hopeful that things will work out this go around...

I believe I was waitlisted because I was mid-masters and they wanted to see all my grades especially since my undergraduate grades were less than stellar. Also, I applied late because I spent WAY too much time working on my secondary essays (doh). Hope this year will be better for me. Also, still haven't received my secondary despite being verified almost a month ago. Called them and for some reason they don't have my app yet. HRUMPH.

Edit: Failed to mention I applied regular and not EDP last year. Doing EDP this year

For those of you who have received your secondary may I ask when you were verified by AMCAS?

The reason I am asking is because I was verified on the 29th of June and I still have no secondary :confused:

For those of you who have received your secondary may I ask when you were verified by AMCAS?

The reason I am asking is because I was verified on the 29th of June and I still have no secondary :confused:

It should be coming. I think I was verified around that time and I received mine last Monday.

I was verified Jul 6th and I received my secondary application on Jul 15th. Please keep in mind they do screen for secondaries (mcat, gpa, and in-state). If you have any questions just call Gail Coleman and she will help you out.

I believe I was waitlisted because I was mid-masters and they wanted to see all my grades especially since my undergraduate grades were less than stellar. Also, I applied late because I spent WAY too much time working on my secondary essays (doh). Hope this year will be better for me. Also, still haven't received my secondary despite being verified almost a month ago. Called them and for some reason they don't have my app yet. HRUMPH.

Edit: Failed to mention I applied regular and not EDP last year. Doing EDP this year

If AMCAS hasn't sent your app to the school then call and ask AMCAS. Maybe that helps. Good luck

Hey guys,

EDP applicant here. I applied RD last year and was waitlisted. I submitted AMCAS Monday and was verified the same day. I just received my secondary today. I was wondering if anybody from last year is reapplying with me, and if so, are you guys reusing your essays on the secondary from last year or writing new ones? I haven't really encountered a new moral dilemma and my reason for going to Mercer is still the same. Any thoughts? Thanks guys

Hey guys,

EDP applicant here. I applied RD last year and was waitlisted. I submitted AMCAS Monday and was verified the same day. I just received my secondary today. I was wondering if anybody from last year is reapplying with me, and if so, are you guys reusing your essays on the secondary from last year or writing new ones? I haven't really encountered a new moral dilemma and my reason for going to Mercer is still the same. Any thoughts? Thanks guys

I was in a similar predicament. I tweaked the ethics question, didn't change the diversity one, and made some changes to the first and last ones. All in all, there is some degree of similarity, but I did make some changes, especially on the last one to reflect what I have been doing the last year and a half.

I was in a similar predicament. I tweaked the ethics question, didn't change the diversity one, and made some changes to the first and last ones. All in all, there is some degree of similarity, but I did make some changes, especially on the last one to reflect what I have been doing the last year and a half.

Thanks for the response. I think I am doing what you are doing. My diversity and ethical question I'm leaving the same and tweaking the first and last ones.

Does anybody know if they send interview calls in September or on a rolling basis?

I do have last years prompts and they dont change, I believe. Dr. Vinson did say there would be some small tweaks but they shouldnt drastically change the prompts.

Here they are:

The mission of the Mercer University School of Medicine is to educate physicians and health professionals to meet the primary care and health care needs of rural and medically underserved areas of Georgia. Please describe how you will contribute to this mission. (250 words maximum)

Please describe an ethical dilemma in which you were involved and how you resolved it. What did you learn from this? (250 words maximum)

Optional:

The recruitment of a diverse student body is a major goal of Mercer University School of Medicine's Admissions Committee. Students learn from each other as well as from faculty, and being part of a diverse student body affords additional learning opportunities for every student. Please tell us what facets of your life and education to date would contribute to the achievement of this goal. Such facets might include your early education, socioeconomic status, culture, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, and life or work experiences. This question is optional.

Is there anything you would like to explain to the Admissions Committee about your application that would help them better understand your circumstances?

Thanks for posting, Doc Oc. Can anyone that's received the 2012 secondary confirm that the questions are the same, or provide clarification of the "small tweaks" that were mentioned? Thanks! :)

They screen before they send out secondaries? Has this always been the case?

I had a confusing state residency status where I had to switch from Georgia to Alabama shortly after verification. The representative from AMCAS assured me this would remove me from Mercer's system. But then I ended up getting a secondary app request this afternoon. I'm assuming it's just a mix-up. Mercer only accepts Georgia residents. That hasn't changed, right?

I had a confusing state residency status where I had to switch from Georgia to Alabama shortly after verification. The representative from AMCAS assured me this would remove me from Mercer's system. But then I ended up getting a secondary app request this afternoon. I'm assuming it's just a mix-up. Mercer only accepts Georgia residents. That hasn't changed, right?

That's correct, as far as I know at least. I believe that's the whole point of filling out and getting the residency verification form signed by a judge.

That's correct, as far as I know at least. I believe that's the whole point of filling out and getting the residency verification form signed by a judge.

I wasn't sure if that was a requirement this year or not. No need to waste $50 then. Thanks!

My AMCAS was verified last friday, and I still haven't heard anything from Mercer. Do they screen? I took my MCAT on July 16th, and I am taking it again on August 19 so I don't know if I should hold off of my MCAT scores (if they are bad) till after September?

My AMCAS was verified last friday, and I still haven't heard anything from Mercer. Do they screen? I took my MCAT on July 16th, and I am taking it again on August 19 so I don't know if I should hold off of my MCAT scores (if they are bad) till after September?

They do screen but it takes some time for them to get your application because they wait for your paper app (as opposed to the online app that most schools consider and is instantly available to them) to get to them from AMCAS which can take up to three weeks (!). Took me about a month after verification.

Last edited:
They do screen but it takes some time for them to get your application because they wait for your paper app (as opposed to the online app that most schools consider and is instantly available to them) to get to them from AMCAS which can take up to three weeks (!). Took me about a month after verification.

Thanks Dr. Octagon!

The 2011-2012 interview cycle dates are: August 30th – September 29th for Early Decision, and October 18th –March 1st for Regular Pool.

So they'll send interview calls after MS-1 starts for EDP, and in October they'll start sending Regular Pool calls. Rolling basis. I was RP last year...But interviewed/accepted in October. But they're definitely rolling.

PM me or ask here for any questions, I'll do my best to answer. Starting MS-1 next week, AHH! Best of luck to you all!

Does any one know if there is a word limit for the optional essay and the special circumstances essays? The instructions say three of the essays are limited to 250 word count but the prompt page only mentions word max in 2 essays. I called but it went to answering machine and I just emailed the admissions office.

Komikos, Are you applying EDP this cycle or Regular?

Komikos, Are you applying EDP this cycle or Regular?

Unfortunately, Regular Decision. I really wanted to do Early Decision, but I took my MCAT on July 16th, and I am planning on retaking it again on August 19th since I think I messed up on verbal. You think I should release my July 16th score or tell AMCAS to wait until my August 19th scores are up if the first ones are bad?

Got an ED interview invite today in my e-mail! :soexcited:

Congrats! When were you complete? I've had all of my stuff for about 2.5 weeks but my file still isn't complete because I have one physician LOR that hasn't been processed yet, despite the fact that I already have 3 other ones + a committee letter in. I called and apparently MUSOM waits for everything to come in.:xf: it gets processed tomorrow...

I was verified through AMCAS early, but I don't think Mercer will schedule interviews until they receive the paper copy via snail mail from AMCAS. For some reason AMCAS was really slow this year......:(

Congrats! When were you complete? I've had all of my stuff for about 2.5 weeks but my file still isn't complete because I have one physician LOR that hasn't been processed yet, despite the fact that I already have 3 other ones + a committee letter in. I called and apparently MUSOM waits for everything to come in.:xf: it gets processed tomorrow...

Me too. I have everything but that one letter and apparently you can't remove letters after you submit AMCAS

Me too. I have everything but that one letter and apparently you can't remove letters after you submit AMCAS

It's all good man, just try to be patient. Mine was finally processed yesterday, got an email from Mercer saying my file was complete not too much later, and then I got the much awaited phone call this morning :banana: Point being, things will move quickly once it gets through AMCAS and sent to Mercer. I guess this is their busy season and mine took exactly one week from the point I was told it was sent to the confirmation email.

It's all good man, just try to be patient. Mine was finally processed yesterday, got an email from Mercer saying my file was complete not too much later, and then I got the much awaited phone call this morning :banana: Point being, things will move quickly once it gets through AMCAS and sent to Mercer. I guess this is their busy season and mine took exactly one week from the point I was told it was sent to the confirmation email.

Congrats on the interview 4thQT! I remember you from last years thread and I'm glad you have the interview now! Also thanks for the words of encouragement. My file was confirmed today after my letter arrived in the morning. I hope I get a call as well!

i was complete yesterday and got my phone call this morning, interview next month on the 22nd

Completed yesterday as well and got the call for an interview this morning for the 22nd. I thought I had submitted my materials early as compared to most people but I guess not since EDP interviews end Sept 29, meaning I'm being interviewed at the tail end of the interview schedule. Either way I have my fingers crossed :xf:

Also does anyone know when Mercer M1 starts this year? I hate how they don't communicate with you at all if you're on the waitlist. I'd at least appreciate a 'sorry, school has started so there's no hope for you anymore' email instead of keeping me in limbo. #rant

Status
Not open for further replies.