2020-2021 Mercer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok I had a few ask. My second interviewer (the one from admissions committee) called me this morning and told me I got accepted. She said adcom met yesterday. I have also received an email telling me I’ve been accepted. My secondary portal also has a new tab called Acceptance so maybe you can check there? Good luck guys!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok I had a few ask. My second interviewer (the one from admissions committee) called me this morning and told me I got accepted. She said adcom met yesterday. I have also received an email telling me I’ve been accepted. My secondary portal also has a new tab called Acceptance so maybe you can check there? Good luck guys!!!
Congrats on the acceptance. I just checked my portal, nothing. So if we get waitlisted we wont find out until March, correct?

Congrats!! Thanks for the update

Members don't see this ad :)
Does that mean we are SOL’d if we didn’t get a call or email?

So, where do we go from here? Is there a waitlist that will come out next month? Anybody know how many people typically get accepted off the waitlist?

From what I've read, theres a large amount of waitlist movement. Waitlist comes out by March 22nd

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone :) I'm a current 3rd year on the Columbus campus and would be happy to answer any questions anyone may have. While I of course don't want to provide any false hope, I would also like to mention for those still waiting that numerous people in my class, including myself, came off the waitlist in April, so it's definitely still possible to get an acceptance.

Reactions: 7 users
Hi everyone :) I'm a current 3rd year on the Columbus campus and would be happy to answer any questions anyone may have. While I of course don't want to provide any false hope, I would also like to mention for those still waiting that numerous people in my class, including myself, came off the waitlist in April, so it's definitely still possible to get an acceptance.
Thanks for the encouragement! How is the city of Columbus and how are your rotations going?

Wow, thanks for being willing to talk with us and for the words of encouragment!

I'm curious about how y'all match. I know Mercer statistically matches almost 100% but I'm more curious if 1. People usually get their first choice coming out of Mercer and 2. If Mercer puts people into competitive programs fairly often.

Thank you for taking the time to answer questions!

Did you write any update letters or a letter of intent while on the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the pros and cons are of either the Savannah and Macon campus and why you prefer a certain campus? I know obviously the curriculum is the same and Savannah is near the beach but anything else? Thanks!

Can confirm, the adcom is done with As. a family member is on the adcom, and has stated this.

I think they invest a lot more effort into the Savannah campus, and the plus to it is there seems to be a lot more opportunities through Memorial health, or to do research (through the Hoskins Research Center).

Can confirm, the adcom is done with As. a family member is on the adcom, and has stated this.

I think they invest a lot more effort into the Savannah campus, and the plus to it is there seems to be a lot more opportunities through Memorial health, or to do research (through the Hoskins Research Center).
thanks for confirming, good to know. interesting, I've been looking at the accepted FB pages and the overall class one only has 95 members so far... so 95/150

So, hella people are gonna get in off the waitlist?
I think so! Following logic, I'm assuming GA residents who also applied to MCG Augusta and get potentially accepted there will probably choose that school over Mercer because of cheaper instate tuition and etc. So we'll see many waitlists with that. I looked at MSAR data from Mercer. They invite 150 people, but those 35-50 seats are number of acceptance offers from their waitlist. But it might be more depending on acceptance to other schools. I totally think we'll have lots of movement, looking at past threads as well.

dang?! you have a family member on adcom? i'd kiiiill to be you - also, i wanted to ask, when you're put on the WL are you told wherever or not you're on the 1st tier? i know they do 2 tier WLs

Last edited:
Does anyone know the Mercer traffic rules? I can't find them online or in the acceptance package.

Thanks for the encouragement! How is the city of Columbus and how are your rotations going?
Columbus is pretty boring, not gonna lie lol, but our rotations are overall significantly more chill than on other campuses! Whereas students had to come in around 4 a.m. on their surgery rotation in Savannah, for example, I never had to come in earlier than 6:45, and I had numerous days where I was done for the day by noon. I really like the smaller campus feel and how we get more one-on-one time with attendings because there aren't as many residents here as well. I'm really glad I'm doing my rotations here even though Columbus isn't the most fun town.
Wow, thanks for being willing to talk with us and for the words of encouragment!

I'm curious about how y'all match. I know Mercer statistically matches almost 100% but I'm more curious if 1. People usually get their first choice coming out of Mercer and 2. If Mercer puts people into competitive programs fairly often.
I honestly don't know the answers to these questions, sorry! I've definitely heard of people matching into big name programs, but I'm not sure how common this is since I'm not really someone who cares about matching into a prestigious program and thus don't really pay much attention to the matter. I'm sorry, I know that's not at all helpful lol.
Thank you for taking the time to answer questions!

Did you write any update letters or a letter of intent while on the waitlist?
I sent a letter of intent the first cycle I applied and never came off the waitlist. I didn't send one the second time and did. lol. N=1, but I didn't get the impression that a letter of intent has much, if any, impact on an applicant's chances of coming off the waitlist.

Columbus is pretty boring, not gonna lie lol, but our rotations are overall significantly more chill than on other campuses! Whereas students had to come in around 4 a.m. on their surgery rotation in Savannah, for example, I never had to come in earlier than 6:45, and I had numerous days where I was done for the day by noon. I really like the smaller campus feel and how we get more one-on-one time with attendings because there aren't as many residents here as well. I'm really glad I'm doing my rotations here even though Columbus isn't the most fun town.

I honestly don't know the answers to these questions, sorry! I've definitely heard of people matching into big name programs, but I'm not sure how common this is since I'm not really someone who cares about matching into a prestigious program and thus don't really pay much attention to the matter. I'm sorry, I know that's not at all helpful lol.

I sent a letter of intent the first cycle I applied and never came off the waitlist. I didn't send one the second time and did. lol. N=1, but I didn't get the impression that a letter of intent has much, if any, impact on an applicant's chances of coming off the waitlist.
That's ok. Its kind of a neurotic question anyway lol but thank you for taking the time!!!

So, hella people are gonna get in off the waitlist?
I would also add to this that there are still people who just got accepted last Wednesday that haven't been accepted into the FB page yet/haven't tried to join it so keep those numbers in mind too!

Also, out of curiosity, when you were put on the WL the first time around and second, were you told which WL you were put on? I know Mercer does a priority WL and an alternative WL. I thought I remembered Mercer saying that you ARE told which one you're put on, but I may be incorrect. If anyone knows this too, that would be great!

I called Amira a few days ago and she said final admissions decisions will be sent out next week. I think these decisions are only rejections and waitlist spots, but not positive. Stay strong guys!

Reactions: 5 users
I called Amira a few days ago and she said final admissions decisions will be sent out next week. I think these decisions are only rejections and waitlist spots, but not positive. Stay strong guys!
Thank you for the update !

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how likely it is to get off the waitlist for preferred campus?

Should we expect to hear back today or next Wednesday ?

Has anyone been placed on the WL or alternate list?

Got placed on alternate list. Is that the main waitlist?

So if we are on the waitlist but have to pay a commitment fee for another school by April 15th, can we still be considered from Mercer’s waitlist even when we pay the commitment fee at another school?