2011-2012 Mount Sinai Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. I don't really learn well in class (more an independent learner), like it seems you are. You say you only go for the mandatory things, can you tell me how long a day that is? For example, what would you consider an average day of your to be like?

The reason I ask is I am deciding between a different school with much less classtime and more freedom. As a research junkie, I would like to do as much research as possible from MS1, so I wanted to know about how much time I would be working with.

Thanks

I find it hard pressed to have a school that has even fewer class. If they have fewer class and not more small groups, then what do students do with all of their time? Mount Sinai is lecture-heavy rather than small group-heavy, which is great for me since then I can choose how much lecture I go to.

It depends on the week, but you can have almost a full-time research job if you don't go to any lecture and just go to the mandatory activities. One of my suitemates is still hired as a research assistant in a Mount Sinai lab, and he works about 3/4 time. Like let's say this week - I had no mandatory class on Monday, 2 hours of path lab on Tuesday, 3 hours of ASM on Wednesday (this is actually untrue for this particular week since ASM has kind of ended, but normally you would have 3 hours of ASM on Wed afternoon), 2 hours of Path stuff yesterday, and 1 hour of Micro small group today. This is pretty typical for this last block of Path, Micro, and Immuno after spring break. The mandatory activities schedule is even lighter in the Fall when you only have M&C and Anatomy.

Members don't see this ad.

what exactly is the difference between mandatory and non-mandatory classes? do you mean classes where you have to show up or do you mean classes that are "supplementary" and non-essential to your education?

to clarify, i'm the opposite type of person where i learn everything via lecture because my self-control is too poor to do it on my own.

Last edited:
Mandatory class: small group discussion (where you go over cases in smaller groups of less than 10 with a faculty leader), patient presentations, ASM ("how to be a doctor" classes)

Non-mandatory class: lectures, review sessions.

They're both part of the regular coursework, just one they take attendance and one they don't. The non-mandatory portions are recorded online.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

I withdrew my acceptance recently. I hope it goes to one of you on the waitlist! Entadus, I especially hope that it heads your way! :luck:

Thanks a million "IronClad" !! I saw that you typed a message here, and I guessed what you'd say. The well wishes mean a lot :)

Crossing my fingers :xf:

P.S. Where have you decided to attend? You can PM if you don't want to share here.

Thanks a million "IronClad" !! I saw that you typed a message here, and I guessed what you'd say. The well wishes mean a lot :)

Crossing my fingers :xf:

P.S. Where have you decided to attend? You can PM if you don't want to share here.

Good guess, my friend! Keep me updated on how things turn out at Sinai! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :luck:

P.S. PM Sent!

I just got in!!
Extremely happy!
I can't wait to meet you guys in August :D

I just got in!!
Extremely happy!
That's strange cause the Admissions Office told me they weren't even going to meet again until after May 15! But, congrats anyway!!!

I just got in!!
Extremely happy!

Congratulations! :DWere you on the wait list? I didn't know it would start moving so quickly :thumbup:

anybody know when waitlist movement is going to be? im hoping the movement wasnt on the 14th and just one SDNer... :\

I got an acceptance email at 3:30pm yesterday!

Strangely, it was a standard acceptance email, made no mention of my being on the waitlist, and no mention of having 2 weeks (or 2 days, or whatever) to made a decision. Just said I would receive acceptance packet in 2 - 3 weeks. Anyone else get this email?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an acceptance email at 3:30pm yesterday!

Strangely, it was a standard acceptance email, made no mention of my being on the waitlist, and no mention of having 2 weeks (or 2 days, or whatever) to made a decision. Just said I would receive acceptance packet in 2 - 3 weeks. Anyone else get this email?

Congratulations! :) When were you wait-listed?

Strange, though... Please do all of us wait-listers a favor and call in on Monday. Figure out what's going on! :confused:

Congratulations! :) When were you wait-listed?

Strange, though... Please do all of us wait-listers a favor and call in on Monday. Figure out what's going on! :confused:

just spoke to admissions. it's an acceptance alright, i just have a more time to decide than i was expecting. that's what threw me off.

i was alternate-listed on jan 11

Hey everyone- this is just an FYI for anyone watching the number of members in the c/o 2016 Facebook group (as a very rough estimate for how many spots are taken in the class): a bunch of people in the group are current MSSM students who were nice enough to join to answer our questions. As of right now, out of the 68 members, I think about 14 are current MSSM students.

sinai seems like they havent really released any acceptances yet based off of posts here! 2 i think?
i hope theyre just taking their time to choose the special first batch of acceptances, and not finished with sending them out already...

sinai seems like they havent really released any acceptances yet based off of posts here! 2 i think?
i hope theyre just taking their time to choose the special first batch of acceptances, and not finished with sending them out already...

I think the first wave of acceptances from the waitlist already happened, and not as many people posted on sdn when they were accepted as in previous years... maybe there will be another wave (although i have a feeling that chances are very slim)

Hey everyone- this is just an FYI for anyone watching the number of members in the c/o 2016 Facebook group (as a very rough estimate for how many spots are taken in the class): a bunch of people in the group are current MSSM students who were nice enough to join to answer our questions. As of right now, out of the 68 members, I think about 14 are current MSSM students.
i highly doubt that there is a ton of open seats still...this low number could mean three things...
either MSSM students this year are not on fb,
not excited to meet other MSSM students/hoping to get into other schools through waitlists and are uncommited
or there are a lot of spots still open...
im really hoping its the last one

Anyone know of any new WL movement or any news at all?

Still waiting anxiously on the waitlist. Although at this point I figure there will be basically zero movement. You're breaking my heart, Sinai...

Still waiting anxiously on the waitlist. Although at this point I figure there will be basically zero movement. You're breaking my heart, Sinai...

hearts already broken. <//3

Don't worry guys, one of my anatomy group members got in like 3 days before school started =p

Has anyone (wait list) called or heard anything in the past few weeks?

Is the waitlist over? is it all full and over? There seemed to be some waitlist movement based on facebook group, but were like almost none from sdn?

Status
Not open for further replies.