2011-2012 Ponce School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who have been interviewed already and have been accepted, can you guys describe what the current atmosphere is at Ponce in regards to their "probation" LCME status? thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

For those who have been interviewed already and have been accepted, can you guys describe what the current atmosphere is at Ponce in regards to their "probation" LCME status? thanks in advance :)

I had been told by friends that it was out of probation, but I wasn't fully sure until I went to http://www.lcme.org/directry.htm and saw this great news!!

Ponce School of Medicine Ponce 2015-2016 Full Visit Full Accreditation

:D What a relief!!

I had been told by friends that it was out of probation, but I wasn't fully sure until I went to http://www.lcme.org/directry.htm and saw this great news!!

Ponce School of Medicine Ponce 2015-2016 Full Visit Full Accreditation

:D What a relief!!

What a great news!! I have an interview on the 30th at Ponce so it makes me feel better about investing time, effort, and money to go down there.

Thanks again for the update! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Congrats to all who have been accepted! I have my interview on March 29. I am from Colombia, raised in Miami, attended Florida International University for my undergrad in bio and chem as well as for my Master of Public Health. I am currently in a Master of Medical Sciences program in Indiana University School of Medicine and will be flying out from Indianapolis. The ticket was about $510 and I had to shop right. You guys can check www.kayak.com and will find great deals. I am super excited to be interviewing here. Can anyone recommend any cheap places to stay in Ponce? I will be flying from Indy on the 28 straight to San Juan and then I will be renting a car to drive to Ponce. I should be heading back to Indianapolis on March 30. So if anyone is staying and wants to hang out and get the feel for Ponce and Puerto Rico let me know. Feel fre to PM or email me at [email protected] or text 786-473-2699. Im super excited and hope to join the people who have been accpeted! Stay blessed guys and Ill keep yall informed!

Paul A. Salazar

hey its been totaly put of probation now i checked on the LCME website!

hey I have a friend who moved to san juan to start dental school last fall and he happens to know some mainland people who are in ponce and they all agree that the atmosphere is very awesome. PR people are very firendly and helpfull people. I got my interveiw on the 29 but ill be there from 28-30 and Im renting a car to travel around and get to know the place better. If ur up for it, U can join in my adventure. I worked with 2 ER physicians who graduated from this school and they are amazing!

Congrats and good luck to all of you guys who have upcoming interviews. I bet you will all do fantastic!!

The best advice I could give is maybe take some time to review how political positions in PR can be used to improve healthcare. I got asked a couple of questions about that and those may have been the worse ones. But other than that, the questions were pretty simple.

:D If anyone else has decided to go to PSM, the facebook page is http://www.facebook.com/PsmClassOf2016 . Please join, so we can all get to know each other, give advice and also so we can get more people to make the Facebook group :)

Hi all,
I'm a non-hispanic mainlander, but I do speak Spanish fluently as a second language. I love latin american culture and would love to apply in Puerto Rico... however, my science GPA is a bit low... 3.1ish. my cumulative is a 3.4, and my MCAT is a 29... I am going to apply to osteopathic schools for the next cycle (2012-2013.) Do you guys think I would be competitive for Ponce and other Puerto Rico schools?

hey man I think ur competative bro, ur mcat is pretty high despite the GPA. I would say go ahead and apply man, u got nothing to loose. Also, make sure to practice ur spanish man!

Hey guys! For those of you who had your interviews yesterday, how did they go?

Hey guys I just got accepted. I am so excited to start this new journey! :) Congrats to those who got accepted and my best wishes for those who are still in the process.

the interviews went well. They were group interviews with guidance counselors however, a little different than the two separate interviews i was expecting. Any one have an idea of how full the class is already?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! For those of you who had your interviews yesterday, how did they go?

I was in a group interview and my personal opinion is that:

1. the school was not prepared for the interviews (people constantly tried to come in the room where the interview was being held) there was a lot of distraction

2. The "counselors" asked some questions that I thought were not supposed to be asked, like: how many schools have you applied to? and what would be your plan B if all med schools reject you? (this was uncomfortable because if you're accepted somewhere else and you don't want to lie, which was my case....you have to say the truth and they made some comments about that...

3. Someone I know got a 1:1 interview with 2 physicians that same day...so I don't understand why I and the others got a group interview...lacked consistency

4. Right at the beginning they said that the interview was a "closed interview" and that they didn't know the mcat scores or GPAs. However, prior to the end of the interview they asked each one of applicants to tell them their mcat score (this was in private though)...confusing....

5. no tour :(

6. They mentioned a "waiting list" but didn't know how to explain how they dealt with those students on the waiting list.....

Hey people! I interviewed several weeks ago in Ponce... Still haven't got any reply from the school :scared:... I want to know, when can I MAYBE get some answers from the school, and if any of you guys know how the admissions process works in this school. Do I have to wait until summer??? The wait is killing me :S!!!!

Hey people! I interviewed several weeks ago in Ponce... Still haven't got any reply from the school :scared:... I want to know, when can I MAYBE get some answers from the school, and if any of you guys know how the admissions process works in this school. Do I have to wait until summer??? The wait is killing me :S!!!!

Maybe you can try calling and asking about your status. It took a month and 1 week after my interview before I received my letter. But during that time I was waiting, I called at least twice and was told that my file was still pending to be reviewed. I recommend calling, it can give you some peace of mind :)

As for the admissions process I've read from other threads about Ponce that people are chosen all the way up to July.

Maybe you can try calling and asking about your status. It took a month and 1 week after my interview before I received my letter. But during that time I was waiting, I called at least twice and was told that my file was still pending to be reviewed. I recommend calling, it can give you some peace of mind :)

As for the admissions process I've read from other threads about Ponce that people are chosen all the way up to July.

I called last week, and was told that the Adcom was reuniting that same week. How much time does it takes to get an answer from the school since their last meeting, ie, last week? Does the Adcom evaluates every applicant already interviewed, or only some, when they meet of course?
I know this is a difficult question, but I need to know this in order to know what to do with other acceptance offers I have.

Last edited:
I called last week, and was told that the Adcom was reuniting that same week. How much time does it takes to get an answer from the school since their last meeting, ie, last week? Does the Adcom evaluates every applicant already interviewed, or only some, when they meet of course?
I know this is a difficult question, but I need to know this in order to know what to do with other acceptance offers I have.

Hey I was interviewed the first week of March (the 8th). I got an email saying I was accepted and that my official acceptance letter was going to be sent today. I think this last round was for everybody who interviewed from mid feb to mid march. The usual waiting time is one month. I recommend for you to call Gladys and ask her. She is very helpful. You might be already accepted and you dont even know. :)

Hey I was interviewed the first week of March (the 8th). I got an email saying I was accepted and that my official acceptance letter was going to be sent today. I think this last round was for everybody who interviewed from mid feb to mid march. The usual waiting time is one month. I recommend for you to call Gladys and ask her. She is very helpful. You might be already accepted and you dont even know. :)

I was interviewed on march 16... Do you really think that they may give some kind of response in these days? I have some friends that interviewed on january, and still haven't been accepted... Hope not to be one of them :smuggrin: :scared:

When did you received the email? Were you evaluated last week?

I was interviewed on march 16... Do you really think that they may give some kind of response in these days? I have some friends that interviewed on january, and still haven't been accepted... Hope not to be one of them :smuggrin: :scared:

When did you received the email? Were you evaluated last week?

My best advice for you is to call them, email them, be proactive without being annoying. People are very helpful and if they see ur interest they will help you.
EL QUE NO HABLA, DIOS NO LO OYE :) Best of luck!

My best advice for you is to call them, email them, be proactive without being annoying. People are very helpful and if they see ur interest they will help you.
EL QUE NO HABLA, DIOS NO LO OYE :) Best of luck!

Ya me dijeron... La escuela por el momento está llena y caí por el momento en la lista de alternos... Espero salir de ahí lo mas rapido posible... La secretaria de admisiones me mencionó que me mantenga esperanzado ya que en este mes RCM empieza a aceptar mas estudiantes que en los pasados meses, y que puede que me cuele por ahí :cool:... Me siento confiado a poder entrar, hopefully.

nekab and rocko, thank you for your tips and encouraging words!! I deeply appreciate it :)!! Hope to meet every one of you guys at Orientation Week!!

Hey guys, I interview here as well. And i just received my letter in the mail today. I was put on their alternative list, which really bummed me out. Oh well hopefully more people will be accepted later on and me included :)

I was also interviewed in march and also got into the alternative list. How fast do you think this list can move. I hope other people that got accepted in another school notifies it quick.

i talked to Gladys today. she said there are a VERY limited amount of seats left in the class and that she thinks the committee will meet at the end of the month. Hoping for good news! (although the chances are looking slimmer and slimmer)

Did she mentioned how many space were left, or how many spaces they think should arise?

Did she mentioned how many space were left, or how many spaces they think should arise?

Hey, I'm also waiting for a space to open up. Interviewed in January and was placed in the alternate list.

I called Gladys last week and she told me there where NO spaces left in the class. Just a few interviews left and that it was all dependent on if anybody renounced their space in the class.

We would just have to wait for spaces to open up of people who choose to go to another school.

do you guys knew if ponce accepts applicants who are american but studied in canada?

i received a letter a few days ago letting me know theirs no space in the class and ive been placed on the alternative list. Looks like more waiting ...

mr sunshine, i really don't think it can hurt you as long as you are a citizen it shouldn't matter, but calling and asking is the best way to be sure.

hey guys any updates? any one get accepted off the wait list or decide to withdrawal?

I was on the "Alternate list" but emailed them to let them know that I will be going to Kansas :D so I asked them to remove my name from the list...probably not helpful but at least the alternate list gets shorter...anyway Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to those with acceptances! I'm considering applying for the entering class of 2013, and was wondering about the pre recs. Do I need 12 credits of English and spanish for acceptance? I graduated almost a year ago and only have 6 credits of English class and 10 of Spanish!

Hey buddy,

You actually do need to have just 12 credits of Spanish. Concerning English courses, many non-english classes can be counted as english courses simply if there was a lot of ready or writing involved.

Hey buddy,

You actually do need to have just 12 credits of Spanish. Concerning English courses, many non-english classes can be counted as english courses simply if there was a lot of ready or writing involved.

Thank you! I'll be submitting my app this week. Hope I get an interview/acceptance!

Hello Everyone,

I speak Spanish, but not fluently. I'd rate myself at about 80% comprehension and 60% speaking fluency. Would this kill my chances of passing the interview and getting into Ponce?

Thankya!

Status
Not open for further replies.