2011-2012 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to you getting an invite, you definitely deserve it. For the rest of us still waiting, do you guys think the office has already sent out all of the invites yesterday from their on-hold list?...since not everyone posts on SDN regarding interview invites. I really hope waiting for next week is not just for rejection e-mails.

I feel the same way,
I hope it is not for a rejection... but I am setting my hopes to a minimum :-(

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely deserve it given ur high numbers. Theyve given several interviews to people with verbal scores below 10, which is surprising given than ucsd is a respected medical school

I'd hate to think a VR score of 9 makes you not deserve to go to a respected medical school though. :( I made a 9 and have a 4.0 and have been accepted to respected medical schools as have many others with 9s.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd hate to think a VR score of 9 makes you not deserve to go to a respected medical school though. :( I made a 9 and have a 4.0 and have been accepted to respected medical schools as have many others with 9s.

You should read more literature and non-american news, that helped me in general with extracting information (which is important, given the correlation between verbal score and usmle board score)

You should read more literature and non-american news, that helped me in general with extracting information (which is important, given the correlation between verbal score and usmle board score)
tumblr_lf6erbelRb1qc5wj7o1_400.jpg

same here :D

That is pretty funny, have you ever considered comedy?

Have you ever considered reading more so you can improve your comprehension skills? Why dont you first start by reading the studies on the correlation between vr and usmle?

Lol the funniest thing is, its actually been proven that there is a correlation between vr and board score

And it's weak. The correlation with BS is higher. So, if one scores poorly on verbal, which isn't that uncommon, but does well on BS then there is hope. So, your condescending post was unneeded. This is coming from someone who got a 12 on verbal. I'm old (26) and have 30+ plus friends who are third or fourth year med students. At least 10 scored greater than 250 and had verbal scores of 8 or 9. And gasp, 7/10 of those students scored 32 or worse on the MCAT. The reality is that the MCAT is a great weeder exam. It doesn't determine what you can do in med school, provided you have certain ability. Whereas, everyone on this site assumes a 38 vs a 30 means the former is more qualified and will be a better doctor. From my experience, once you hit 30 you are good enough. So, in closing, your disparaging remark about UCSD interviewing individuals with low verbal indicates you know very little about who can or can't succeed. UCSD is an amazing school and if they interviewed these students then you can be sure that the admission's committee saw something in them that suggested that applicant's ability to succeed in medicine. I say this sitting here without an invite despite having an MCAT score worthy of an interview invite according to your view.

And it's weak. The correlation with BS is higher. So, if one scores poorly on verbal, which isn't that uncommon, but does well on BS then there is hope. So, your condescending post was unneeded. This is coming from someone who got a 12 on verbal. I'm old (26) and have 30+ plus friends who are third or fourth year med students. At least 10 scored greater than 250 and had verbal scores of 8 or 9. And gasp, 7/10 of those students scored 32 or worse on the MCAT. The reality is that the MCAT is a great weeder exam. It doesn't determine what you can do in med school, provided you have certain ability. Whereas, everyone on this site assumes a 38 vs a 30 means the former is more qualified and will be a better doctor. From my experience, once you hit 30 you are good enough. So, in closing, your disparaging remark about UCSD interviewing individuals with low verbal indicates you know very little about who can or can't succeed. UCSD is an amazing school and if they interviewed these students then you can be sure that the admission's committee saw something in them that suggested that applicant's ability to succeed in medicine. I say this sitting here without an invite despite having an MCAT score worthy of an interview invite according to your view.

I realize you know people with 8 and 9 vr scores, but that doesnt convince me that illiterate people should get into ucsd before people with decent vr scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
I realize you know people with 8 and 9 vr scores, but that doesnt convince me that illiterate people should get into ucsd before people with decent vr scores.

So 9 is illiterate and 10 isn't? :confused:

"Youre [sic] wrong, get over it." -uclabruins2011 from the UCLA thread

uclabruins2011, do you have ANY friends? You're not very affable.

uclabruins2011, do you have ANY friends? You're not very affable.

Lol all my friends are bruins, and i have yet to see a bruin in real life with a vr score below 10 (ive seen a few on sdn/mdapps though).

Last edited:
we as people who have our hearts set in the right place in pursuing medicine should not allow a person like this taint the true value of being a physician. I am hoping that this person is not accepted into the same school i get into. And honestly, this person is just trying to get some attention...

+1

Lol all my friends are bruins (i graduated in 2011), and i have yet to see a bruin in real life with a vr score below 10 (ive seen a few on sdn/mdapps though).
You probably don't have a sample size that is large enough. ;) Make more friends and you'll probably meet someone with a VR score below 10. I personally know a few people with scores below 10. I'm also a Bruin (hence the username), class of 2011.

Btw guys, not everyone from UCLA's a d**che like *ahem*! I promise :)

You probably don't have a sample size that is large enough. ;) Make more friends and you'll probably meet someone with a VR score below 10. I personally know a few people with scores below 10. I'm also a Bruin (hence the username), class of 2011.

Btw guys, not everyone from UCLA's a d**che like *ahem*! I promise :)

Although you are probably right, after reading dickwad's post up there, I had already formed a steadfast opinion that they are and it will require more than your word to change it.

I think that this is a silly argument for anyone to carry on in the grand scheme in applying to medical school and it bearing any merit on the quality physician someone will become. As someone who scored a 10 in verbal, I can also tell you I was stuck at a 9. There are mere 1 or two questions differences between the two scores.

On another note, performance on USMLE and the quality physician you become are mutually exclusive. A high USMLE score says nothing about your capacity for empathy, maturity, respect, and passion. We should all consider ourselves bright enough to realize there are qualities beyond scores that matter in being a physician. I hope if this UCLA individual truly has this self idealized perception of medicine, that it comes out on the interview. Interviewers are savvy, and read people for who they are.

Just received an email with a decision. No interview. :( At least the wait is over, lol.
:luck: to everyone else on hold!

Just got my no too, :/ oh well. Good luck to everyone else!

I was in the holding pattern (not technically on hold for interview) and just got rejected, pre-interview. Complete mid-November.

Rejected as well

+2500 who received secondaries....

rejected as well. was on the hold list. IS

Yup add me to the rejected list as well. At least I don't have to think about it anymore.

Ah, the long-awaited rejection from UCSD has finally arrived in my inbox. Finally, I have closure here.

I think that this is a silly argument for anyone to carry on in the grand scheme in applying to medical school and it bearing any merit on the quality physician someone will become. As someone who scored a 10 in verbal, I can also tell you I was stuck at a 9. There are mere 1 or two questions differences between the two scores.

On another note, performance on USMLE and the quality physician you become are mutually exclusive. A high USMLE score says nothing about your capacity for empathy, maturity, respect, and passion. We should all consider ourselves bright enough to realize there are qualities beyond scores that matter in being a physician. I hope if this UCLA individual truly has this self idealized perception of medicine, that it comes out on the interview. Interviewers are savvy, and read people for who they are.
+1. I received a 9 on my MCAT after getting a 10 (and sometimes an 11) on every AAMC MCAT practice test I took. I am not any more illiterate now than I was before the MCAT. In fact, I would argue I personally read news and such more than other students I know with higher scores. But it won't make me a better or worse physician.

I think you hit the nail on the head, emcda001.

looks like we got a splendid rejection party going on! rejection for me too.

I got my post-secondary rejection today also, UCSD why are you not showing an alumni some love :(

I too was one of the thousands of rejected applicants (post-secondary but on interview hold) today. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.