2011-2012 University of Hawaii Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG my friend just got the email, but the decision is in an attachment and she can't open it on her phone so she has to finish her work shift, go home, and then find out what it is. :laugh:

...she was rejected. OOS, WICHE, Hawaiian high school graduate. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I grew up there. Lived there for 12 years. Middle school, high school, some college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im pulling info from US News Best Graduate Schools Report.
For last year, 78 In-state hawaiians from 172 interviews, are offered acceptance filling 58 spots.
And for out of staters, it was 24 acceptance offers from 79 interviews for 6 spots (though i'm seeing others say it was 8). (it's because oos students who have UHI offers, usually are getting cheaper offers elsewhere as well, so about 4 offers go out for each oos student who actually matriculates.) Thus, im conjecturing that, if they offer maybe 8 at a time?, the full out of state roster may not be known until right when classes start.

does this mean number of acceptance exceed number of seats? will movement on the waitlist then be very insignificant?

sorry i may not know what im talking about.

does this mean number of acceptance exceed number of seats? will movement on the waitlist then be very insignificant?

sorry i may not know what im talking about.

The number of accepted students always exceeds the number of seats. Basically, those stats indicate that 20 IS and 16 OOS applicants who turned down acceptances. I believe I recall Dr. Izutsu saying that the wait list starts at about 40 people. If this is the case, there is significant movement, as nearly everyone (36/40) who was waitlisted last year was later accepted.

Did everyone that got waitlisted and are OOS have some sort of ties to the island?

My parents both grew up in Hawaii, and all of my extended family still lives there. If I am accepted, I'm going to move in with them and I communicated that during my interview.

The number of accepted students always exceeds the number of seats. Basically, those stats indicate that 20 IS and 16 OOS applicants who turned down acceptances. I believe I recall Dr. Izutsu saying that the wait list starts at about 40 people. If this is the case, there is significant movement, as nearly everyone (36/40) who was waitlisted last year was later accepted.

i see i see, but still a little confused. does that mean after the 20 IS AND 16 OOS who've turned down acceptances, additional 36 students turned down acceptances after that for people on the waitlist to be accepted? and howd you get the info that 36 people on the waitlist were accepted?

sorry for so many questions.

i see i see, but still a little confused. does that mean after the 20 IS AND 16 OOS who've turned down acceptances, additional 36 students turned down acceptances after that for people on the waitlist to be accepted? and howd you get the info that 36 people on the waitlist were accepted?
Hey, no worries. So far, 66 people have been accepted. 36 of them will turn down their acceptances (if last year is any indication). Those 36 spots will be filled by people straight from the waitlist.

EDIT: Imi ho'ola acceptances don't go out until April. Spots are saved in the class for them. Therefore, there should be about 56ish acceptances, so far.

Last edited:
Hey, no worries. So far, 66 people have been accepted. 36 of them will turn down their acceptances (if last year is any indication). Those 36 spots will be filled by people straight from the waitlist.

78 instate acceptances may include imi ho'ola post-bacc program graduates, then 68 regular acceptances are more likely. no? because about 8-10 imi grads matriculate every year i believe.
would it be then more like 26? if you didnt get your number of 36 from actual data.

congrats! very envious here. in state?

Yes, I am graduating from UH this year and they granted me residency for application purposes (I already pay IS tuition). The letter said that April 15th is their deadline for holding multiple acceptances so I think the waitlist will definitely start moving soon after (or before!).

78 instate acceptances may include imi ho'ola post-bacc program graduates, then 68 regular acceptances are more likely. no? because about 8-10 imi grads matriculate every year i believe.
would it be then more like 26? if you didnt get your number of 36 from actual data.

The numbers are coming from tmac's post earlier in this thread, which he said came from US News & World Reports. It was reported that 78 were accepted from IS, but 58 matriculated. The Imi Ho'ola students are just going to be a part of the 58: accepted and enrolled.

78 IS accepted, 58 enrolled = 20 people pulled off the waitlist.
24 OOS accepted, 8 enrolled = 16 people pulled off the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
that is an extremely encouraging statistic. I hope it works out that way this year.

From what I have heard almost all IS applicants get waitlisted...is there any truth to that? All of my friends have gotten waitlisted and I'm a bit surprised since a one of them has a 4.0gpa/38 MCAT and the others have gpa's around 2.8-3.0.

I myself am quite surprised that I got waitlisted what with my mediocre numbers...Also, are the waitlist letters all the same? I feel like my letter was extremely encouraging, saying that I still had a big chance of getting in and blah blah blah. Of course, I'm not holding my breath, but I thought that letter was too nice coming from a medical school. Opinions?

From what I have heard almost all IS applicants get waitlisted...is there any truth to that? All of my friends have gotten waitlisted and I'm a bit surprised since a one of them has a 4.0gpa/38 MCAT and the others have gpa's around 2.8-3.0.

I myself am quite surprised that I got waitlisted what with my mediocre numbers...Also, are the waitlist letters all the same? I feel like my letter was extremely encouraging, saying that I still had a big chance of getting in and blah blah blah. Of course, I'm not holding my breath, but I thought that letter was too nice coming from a medical school. Opinions?
What do you mean encouraging?

mines wasnt all that encouraging. it just sounded like a standard waitlist letter stating that there is a possibility of acceptance til the first day of instruction.

mines wasnt all that encouraging. it just sounded like a standard waitlist letter stating that there is a possibility of acceptance til the first day of instruction.
Same.

Dear Mr. ____________:
March 21,2012
The Admissions Committee of the University of Hawai'i John A. Burns School of Medicine has recommended to me that you be placed on our waitlist to the class anticipated to begin their studies on July 16, 2012. It has been a very difficult task for the Committee to select only 66 students from among hundreds of applicants. We regret that it is not possible to admit all of the many fine candidates.
For various reasons, some students who have been extended offers to attend this Medical School may find it impossible to come here and, as this office is notified of such a decision, a candidate on the wait-list is extended an offer to join the class. We have found that vacancies of this type might occur as late as week prior to the start of school.
You are to keep the John A. Burns School of Medicine informed of your current address, telephone number, and e-mail. If you will be unavailable during a period of time (e.g. foreign travel), please instruct and grant authority to a parent or other individual to act on your behalf and notify the Medical School of this authority.
If you have any questions, please contact Marilyn Nishiki, Admissions Officer, at (808) 692-1004.
The Admissions Committee members wish to express their appreciation to you for the time and effort you put forth. In the event you should not wish to keep your application active, we would appreciate it if you would advise our office. As soon as an opening occurs for you, we will notify you.

The Imi class is now 12 students, so now there could be less spots available in theory.
However, this past year only 6 of them transitioned to our class, so it's really hard to judge!!

Also, there are in-states who get rejected and are accepted straight off.
They just have a long waitlist for instate, so that's why many people end up getting on it.
The good thing is that there can be a lot of movement- so hang in there!

Good luck guys and grats to those who got in! :luck:

ive seen threads on certain years where there seemed to be barely any movement in the waiting list for hawaii.

it seems unpredictable.

i hope there's a good movement on average, annually though.

Yes, I am graduating from UH this year and they granted me residency for application purposes (I already pay IS tuition). The letter said that April 15th is their deadline for holding multiple acceptances so I think the waitlist will definitely start moving soon after (or before!).

it's like another month of waiting for waitlisters.........................................

Just got the acceptance email!!

congratulations to everyone accepted! i am definitely starting jabsom in july, just wondering who else is definitely going

and to those waiting, hang in there...

Could any other accepted applicant confirm JABSOM's April 15th deadline to decide between schools?

thanks.

Does anyone know the stats on how many people get off the waitlist at JABSOM each year? Has anyone here heard of people who got in off the list?

I'm an in stater on the waitlist. Anything would help!

Accepted off the waitlist yesterday. Good luck everyone.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted/waitlisted! I am a first year student at JABSOM, and a few of us have made a facebook group for all of next years students to join. Just search "JABSOM Class of 2016." A lot of the first year information can be very confusing, and this will allow you to ask us any questions you might have regarding books, equipment, dates and times, faculty, etc. Once your year starts up we will leave the group so that its only your class and you can have your privacy.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask away.

Congrats!

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted/waitlisted! I am a first year student at JABSOM, and a few of us have made a facebook group for all of next years students to join. Just search "JABSOM Class of 2016." A lot of the first year information can be very confusing, and this will allow you to ask us any questions you might have regarding books, equipment, dates and times, faculty, etc. Once your year starts up we will leave the group so that its only your class and you can have your privacy.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask away.

Congrats!

thanks! could you provide a link? i can't find it in my fb search

Congrats on everyone getting in! I'm on the wait list and hoping to get in. I'm also applying for Imi Ho'ola as well and was wondering if anyone applying to Imi Ho'ola has heard back yet?

so it's april 16th, anyone get off the waitlist today?

and do anyone know if jabsom over-accepts applicants initially?
heard alotta med schools do that.

cmon people, dont just bail out of the forum because youve been accepted, update us!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know if there has been any waitlist movement?

This is my first post on SDN, so bear with me! I was accepted to UH last month (in-state), and while I loved the school, I turned down my acceptance on April 7th to go to med school closer to my boyfriend. I hope my spot goes to someone on the waitlist!

Hey everyone. I couldn't find a 2013 UH thread so I'm posting here.

But Is anyone looking to apply next cycle? I should meet 4/5 categories in the screen. I've been OOS for the past year but I still payed HI taxes so I hope I can get that 4th point. I'm currently doing a postbac on the east coast but I'm really looking to go back to my alma mater for med school.

Per the website and what I've gathered on here is that JABSOM does not do rolling admissions but exceptional candidates will be notified before everyone else. I don't expect to be considered an exceptional candidate. But will applying later in the cycle september/october put one at a disadvantage versus one who applied early? It seems like they do an offical review towards the end of the cycle but I'm planning to take a late mcat in july/august and it would be good knowing that it won't affect my chances.

Also, anyone heard of anyone/any stories of people with really low gpa getting into JABSOM? I graduated with a 2.7 from UH but I'm doing well in the postbac and am going to try my best to do well on the mcat. Hopefully my gpa will be a 2.9+ by the time I apply.

Hey everyone. I couldn't find a 2013 UH thread so I'm posting here.

But Is anyone looking to apply next cycle? I should meet 4/5 categories in the screen. I've been OOS for the past year but I still payed HI taxes so I hope I can get that 4th point. I'm currently doing a postbac on the east coast but I'm really looking to go back to my alma mater for med school.

Per the website and what I've gathered on here is that JABSOM does not do rolling admissions but exceptional candidates will be notified before everyone else. I don't expect to be considered an exceptional candidate. But will applying later in the cycle september/october put one at a disadvantage versus one who applied early? It seems like they do an offical review towards the end of the cycle but I'm planning to take a late mcat in july/august and it would be good knowing that it won't affect my chances.

Also, anyone heard of anyone/any stories of people with really low gpa getting into JABSOM? I graduated with a 2.7 from UH but I'm doing well in the postbac and am going to try my best to do well on the mcat. Hopefully my gpa will be a 2.9+ by the time I apply.

JABSOM does a screen based on points. You won't get any points for a low GPA but you can get points for each MCAT section above a 10/11 (can't remember which) and points for activities, volunteering, research, etc. They also award points for an upward trend in GPA in junior and senior years and points for graduate degree (also can't remember if it's for the GPA or just the degree). You need 8 points to get an interview if you are a resident (which you are because you have 3/5 of the criteria). Once you get an interview, they look at your entire app to determine whether they will accept, waitlist, or reject, but I imagine a low GPA will be taken into account. If you have excellent ECs, a great MCAT, and strong letters, I think you have a shot. If you qualify for Imi Hoola, you should apply for that as well. Just remember that many of the students applying went to UH and took the same classes, so JABSOM is aware of the difficulty level of these classes. I'm not saying this to discourage you but if you have a good reason for having a lower GPA, you should find a way to let them know. Also, put A LOT of effort into the secondary and answer "why Hawaii?" really well. Good luck!

Oh yeah, and to answer your question, I have only heard of someone with a 27 Mcat getting in, but I haven't ever asked anyone about GPA. I don't think it's impossible though.

So I'm OOS and received a rejection letter a while back. Is there a separate letter for wait listing?

hi everyone, i'm looking to find a roommate to share a 2 bedroom apartment with, preferably somewhat close by JABSOM (~2-3 miles).
i am not from oahu so i have been looking online and seen some nice apartments, and i just need to find a roommate.
i do have friends who live on oahu that can help look at apartments and pick a good one.

please PM me if you are interested in sharing an apt. thanks everyone!

ps everyone still on waitlist, good luck! and to those accepted, congrats!

OOS accepted off the wait list today! So happy as this was my first choice (and only acceptance)!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.