2011-2012 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top!

I thought for sure it would be this week, maybe tomorrow. I'm surprised OU's waiting this long considering they're trying to get all of their interviews done by December.

Members don't see this ad.

Top!

I thought for sure it would be this week, maybe tomorrow. I'm surprised OU's waiting this long considering they're trying to get all of their interviews done by December.

OU only conducts half of the interviews by December (at least that's how it has been done for the past five years, since I've only followed them for that long). Considering a three week notification, October interviews can be scheduled as late as end of September. The November interviews typically get scheduled at the end of October.

Last edited:
OU only conducts half of the interviews by December (at least that's how it has been done for the past five years, since I've only followed them for that long).

From my pre-med advisor: "I received an email from Dotty Shaw yesterday stating that they hope to have ALL interviews completed before Winter Break! This means, if I've got it right, that they won't be doing January and/or February interviews this year. If you are applying and have hopes of snagging an OU medical school interview, you MUST get your application completed, including secondary application BEFORE the published deadline of November 1. If you submit your AMCAS application by the posted October 15 deadline, OU will NOT see your application until the end of November when (most likely) they have scheduled all of their remaining interview time slots! So - word to the wise - don't procrastinate!"

Not sure if it's true or not...that's just one person's impression. But what you said makes sense, about the three weeks' notice. I just really love this school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Received my interview offer today as well for 10/16 but had to reschedule to 10/27. My friend also got one for 10/26. We're both IS

Just wondering if those of you who got interviews wouldn't mind sharing MCAT and GPA?

Thanks and good luck!:)

OU interview!
OSS with state ties

10/27 interview. IS
Super excited! :xf::xf::luck::luck:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Invitation for 10/27:

In-State
32 MCAT, 3.86GPA

OU Score: 12.57

I. Am. So. HAPPY!

Last edited:
invite! 10/26, IS, 33O, 3.76
pretty pumped, good luck all.

Interview Invite 10/26, IS. When did OU start doing Sunday interviews (10/16)?

Hey, do you guys think that it would be possible for OU to let me redo my secondary?

My reasons:

1) I recently realized how an awesome opportunity it is to be involved in the Community Health Track program at Tulsa

2) I no longer have reservations about moving and living in Tulsa for a while. Sure, it won't be as comfortable as OKC but I might give it a try.

Got my interview invite today! Oct. 27th.

IS
GPA: 3.84
MCAT: 30Q

Last edited:
Also--interview with the SCM on the 16th. Got the email yesterday.

Does anyone know if OU is changing things up this year? I've heard they're trying to get all of their interviews done by December. If this is so, does having an October interview not have as much of an impact (acceptance rate wise) as it did last year? From last year's forums, it seems like almost everyone with an Oct interview got accepted. Is that not the case if they're interviewing more people in October (or in a shorter amount of time) than they did last year?

I havent heard directly from anyone but I really dont see OU trying to conduct all of their interviews in just a month and a half (mid Oct - to end of Nov). I dont see a motive or an advantage for this. I think they would have changed their dead-line if this was the case too. Gotta take all info from SDN with a grain of salt because anyone can post anything. If you are really concerned call admissions and ask for yourself.

I havent heard directly from anyone but I really dont see OU trying to conduct all of their interviews in just a month and a half (mid Oct - to end of Nov). I dont see a motive or an advantage for this. I think they would have changed their dead-line if this was the case too. Gotta take all info from SDN with a grain of salt because anyone can post anything. If you are really concerned call admissions and ask for yourself.

I mean, that's what was posted on our pre-med page. But I'm thinking now that it may have been just a way to get people to get their applications in. All of that aside, October interview invites went out about 2 weeks after they did last year, meaning the timeline is already a little shortened.

Either way, I'm super excited for my interview. Who cares if October doesn't mean as much as it used to? It's a big deal to be invited or not, regardless of when the invite comes.

Hey, do you guys think that it would be possible for OU to let me redo my secondary?

My reasons:

1) I recently realized how an awesome opportunity it is to be involved in the Community Health Track program at Tulsa

2) I no longer have reservations about moving and living in Tulsa for a while. Sure, it won't be as comfortable as OKC but I might give it a try.

I doubt they will let you change your secondary, but if they have extra spots in the Tulsa track they will probably let you switch if you get admitted.

I doubt they will let you change your secondary, but if they have extra spots in the Tulsa track they will probably let you switch if you get admitted.

Yeah, thx for the input. I will go with that option and hope to get in that way.:xf:

Does anyone know if OU is changing things up this year? I've heard they're trying to get all of their interviews done by December. If this is so, does having an October interview not have as much of an impact (acceptance rate wise) as it did last year? From last year's forums, it seems like almost everyone with an Oct interview got accepted. Is that not the case if they're interviewing more people in October (or in a shorter amount of time) than they did last year?

I know for a fact they are planning on two interview dates in January. When they schedule us to do interview tours for applicants they give us all the dates to sign up for and there were two dates in January. I guess that could change, but I doubt it. Congrats to all who have interviews!

Interview Invite 10/26, IS. When did OU start doing Sunday interviews (10/16)?

Last year when we had all those snow days they had to push an interview to Sunday and I guess all the faculty liked it, so they are doing a couple of interview dates on Sunday this year. I think one of the November dates will be on a Sunday as well.

Anyone know when November interviews might be sent out??

Anyone know when November interviews might be sent out??

From what I've heard, November interview invites are sent out after the October interviews. So probably last week of October...?

I hope there are current OU med students here. I really want to attend OU, but I'm not sure how to tell to the interview committee why. I don't want to state the generics that can be found on the website and will be used by every other interviewee.

What are the inside perks of being an OU student? I know about the mods and pals. And of course all of the research that goes on there. But I feel like I should know more. As a current OU student, what have you learned about OU that makes you love the school even more?

Current second year, mods are definetly the biggest perk (except maybe video lectures without required attendance, but I wouldn't say that). Next would be the faculty is very approachable and seems to really look out for you.

The curriculum is great for me because I like to focus on one class at a time. With that being said, the curriculum does have many flaws. But the kinks will get worked out in a few years.

Last edited:
To those who interviewed today, would you mind sharing your experience? Thanks!

I know for a fact they are planning on two interview dates in January. When they schedule us to do interview tours for applicants they give us all the dates to sign up for and there were two dates in January. I guess that could change, but I doubt it. Congrats to all who have interviews!

To marshds (or any of the other current med students)--do you have a definitive list of all of the interview dates? The October dates that have been posted on here are 10/16, 10/26, and 10/27. I was just wondering how many dates would be in November or January! Thanks :)

Current second year, mods are definetly the biggest perk (except maybe video lectures without required attendance, but I wouldn't say that). Next would be the faculty is very approachable and seems to really look out for you.

The curriculum is great for me because I like to focus on one class at a time. With that being said, the curriculum does have many flaws. But the kinks will get worked out in a few years.

Thanks for the input! As for the faculty, I know the class size is pretty big...do you get much one-on-one interaction with them?

October 16, 26, & 27

November 13, 16, 17, & 30

December 1

January 11 & 12

Thanks for the input! As for the faculty, I know the class size is pretty big...do you get much one-on-one interaction with them?

Not really, unless you make it a point to. If you have questions they are more than willing to help, but at this stage most questions are either strictly curiosity in nature (which actually gets annoying when people waste time with those) or easily google searched.

Well, I had my interview Sunday. My interviewers were all really nice and incredibly easy-going. I didn't get any ethics or policy questions but I know a few people did. Still, the interviewers were really just trying to get to know you. They asked a lot of questions about my AMCAS activities and the basics, like why I want to be a doctor and what I like about OU. Don't stress too much! The interview day was a lot of fun.

Hope this helps!

Congrats on the interview invites! Do you guys mind sharing stats?

Any feedback from October interviewees would be greatly appreciated!

First time poster, long time lurker

Was invited to interview on Nov. 17th earlier this week. My stats are under last year's class average, so I was surprised that I received an interview this soon (I was expecting December at the earliest). Does anyone know the detailed schedule for how the day will go? And any advice about how to turn negatives in your application into positives during the interview?

Was invited to interview on Nov. 17th earlier this week. My stats are under last year's class average, so I was surprised that I received an interview this soon (I was expecting December at the earliest). Does anyone know the detailed schedule for how the day will go? And any advice about how to turn negatives in your application into positives during the interview?

It is hard to give advice without knowing the situation, but I would suggest not making excuses for mistakes. I would explain the situation and tell them what you LEARNED from those mistakes and what you have done to ensure your mistakes are not repeated.

my cumulative GPA is 3.68 and MCAT is 28. Have not gotten interview invite. was I dismissed/overlooked?

Would you mind telling us your stats?

Status
Not open for further replies.